PDA

View Full Version : RRS moved to December? In Jerry's World???

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 10:39 AM
According to Chip Brown, because there will no longer be a CCG there is a movement afoot to move the RRS from the Cotton Bowl to Jerry's World and make it the last game of the season.

I cannot explain how sick this makes me.

First of all, no Fletcher's.

Second of all, it not only guarantees that the loser is out of the picture for the MNC, it eliminates the chance (albeit it was slim) of ever seeing a RRS rematch in the MNC game.

Third, even if we go 11-1, if we lose to UT in the final game (espeically if it's convincing) with this craptastic conference, we are probably looking at no BCS bowl.

:(

soonervegas
6/15/2010, 10:40 AM
OU and Texas hate their fans

ouleaf
6/15/2010, 10:43 AM
If this is true, Fletchers should put still be allowed to put up stands around the stadium, or at least in the lots of businesses next to the stadium. Nothing tops off an OU win like a Victory Corn Dog from Fletchers. Mmmmmm

Secondly....I hope this isn't true and it still stays at the Cotton Bowl.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 10:44 AM
According to Chip Brown, because there will no longer be a CCG there is a movement afoot to move the RRS from the Cotton Bowl to Jerry's World and make it the last game of the season.

already eliminated

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 10:46 AM
Second of all, it not only guarantees that the loser is out of the picture for the MNC, it eliminates the chance (albeit it was slim) of ever seeing a RRS rematch in the MNC game.

Why?

oudavid1
6/15/2010, 10:48 AM
I heard its not moving, nothing to worry about. I know the teams signed a deal though 2015 already anyway.

swardboy
6/15/2010, 10:50 AM
Here's my non-traditional two cents worth: Without a conference championship game, we are in a pickle since everyone else WILL have one late in the season. Would not OU/TEXAS at the end of the season be a plus versus these other late-season championship games?

Eielson
6/15/2010, 10:52 AM
Just because we have 10 teams doesn't mean we should act like the Big 10.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 10:52 AM
I'm actually for this.

Position Limit
6/15/2010, 10:55 AM
if texas wants it, we will give it to them. and say thank you. and our newspapers will praise it.

auto
6/15/2010, 10:56 AM
Looks like I will never see anothe OU-TX game if they move it to Brokedick, USA:mad:

oudavid1
6/15/2010, 11:00 AM
Looks like I will never see anothe OU-TX game if they move it to Brokedick, USA:mad:

Where is that?

I'm actually for this.

Being a season ticket holder in all, im defiantly not for this. I love that game just the way it is.

BudSooner
6/15/2010, 11:10 AM
Where is that?I belive he was referring to Austin but JerryWorld isn't there.

Being a season ticket holder in all, im defiantly not for this. I love that game just the way it is.
Agreed, leave it alone. Hasn't tradition been trashed enough this week?

Breadburner
6/15/2010, 11:28 AM
**** Jerry Jones and Jerry world and **** Texas too.....!

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 11:32 AM
Why?

Because there's no way the BCS is going to schedule a rematch in back to back games.

It would be a long shot for it to happen anyway, but if they play in Oct you have all season for the loser to prove the game was a fluke. If all the cards fell right (i.e. everyone else in the country sucked that year) you could see OU v. UT for the MNC.

But if one of them just lost to the other one there's no debate. If tOSU and Michigan couldn't do it, no chance OUTX is going to.

(Barring of course some kind of freak year where everyone else in the country has 3 loses)

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 11:46 AM
I'm for this for a lot of reasons.

We need to play a game late in the year. And the chances of OU or Texas being the best team is real high. Who is the 3rd best team right now? Mizzou or OSU? You'll rarely see OU or Texas both have down years. The 90s doesn't happen with the current atheltic departments both teams have.

So the OU/Tx game will almost always be the Big X championship game.

We will need to have a game around this time so we don't get overlooked by voters and hurt in the BCS. Even if we aren't playing for an NC one year we will be fighting for better raking, maybe a better BCS game. Even if one of the teams loses they may both get BCS games so having a game around this time and if it's a good game it'll help both teams.

If one team gets blown out they could get hurt in a bowl ranking. But that doesn't really change much in any late season blow out most of the time. There have been some late season blowouts that haven't ended up hurting also. I can think of 2 in the BCS era alonve

The OU/Tx will basically become the NC game. Why play it in October basically ending on of the teams championship chances early? Yes we can play for a BCS game the rest of the year and maybe Texas loses 2 fluke games if we lose to them but in the Big X I don't see many years where OU/Tx lose 2+ games in conference.

Maybe Mizzou has a great year. Oklahoma State at their best wins about 8 maybe 9 games. Tech no longer has Leach they will go down hill. A&M needs to become relevant. If we lose to any other team in the Big 12 we aren't that good.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 11:52 AM
Because there's no way the BCS is going to schedule a rematch in back to back games.

It would be a long shot for it to happen anyway, but if they play in Oct you have all season for the loser to prove the game was a fluke. If all the cards fell right (i.e. everyone else in the country sucked that year) you could see OU v. UT for the MNC.

But if one of them just lost to the other one there's no debate. If tOSU and Michigan couldn't do it, no chance OUTX is going to.

(Barring of course some kind of freak year where everyone else in the country has 3 loses)

Regarding a rematch, it is always a long shot to begin with, regardless of what time of year you play your initial match-up. Though we saw UF and FSU battle for the NC in 1996-7.

Please tell me the occasions the rematch has occured, where the teams played early in the season?

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 11:56 AM

We need to play a game late in the year. And the chances of OU or Texas being the best team is real high. Who is the 3rd best team right now? Mizzou or OSU? You'll rarely see OU or Texas both have down years. The 90s doesn't happen with the current atheltic departments both teams have.

We will need to have a game around this time so we don't get overlooked by voters and hurt in the BCS. Even if we aren't playing for an NC one year we will be fighting for better raking, maybe a better BCS game. Even if one of the teams loses they may both get BCS games so having a game around this time and if it's a good game it'll help both teams.

If one team gets blown out they could get hurt in a bowl ranking. But that doesn't really change much in any late season blow out most of the time. There have been some late season blowouts that haven't ended up hurting also. I can think of 2 in the BCS era alonve

The OU/Tx will basically become the NC game. Why play it in October basically ending on of the teams championship chances early? Yes we can play for a BCS game the rest of the year and maybe Texas loses 2 fluke games if we lose to them but in the Big X I don't see many years where OU/Tx lose 2+ games in conference.

Maybe Mizzou has a great year. Oklahoma State at their best wins about 8 maybe 9 games. Tech no longer has Leach they will go down hill. A&M needs to become relevant. If we lose to any other team in the Big 12 we aren't that good.

none of that really matters, the time of the year is fairly insignificant in the big picture.

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 11:56 AM
the BCS doesn't "schedule" games.

And regarding a rematch, it is always a long shot to begin with. Though we saw UF and FSU battle for the NC in 1996-7.

I realize they don't "schedule" games.

I meant that there's no chance the hit you take from losing that game wouldn't knock you out of second place.

And to use any example pre-1998 is irrelevant.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 11:58 AM
I realize they don't "schedule" games.

I meant that there's no chance the hit you take from losing that game wouldn't knock you out of second place.

And to use any example pre-1998 is irrelevant.

Great, then list the rematches!

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 11:59 AM
I'm with ndpruitt on this one. The October RRR tradition was a weakness of the old big12 and will be a bigger weakness of the new big12-2 given no CCG. All the BCS human voters will be watching games in other conferences when it counts most. I guess we'll see how it works out.

texaspokieokie
6/15/2010, 12:03 PM
Please !!!!!!!!
Don't let Jerry have this game !!!!!!!!!!!

he'll have 110,000 morons paying, but only 80,000 will get inside !!!!

soonervegas
6/15/2010, 12:08 PM

Have you been to OU-Texas at the Cotton Bowl? The opinion of anyone who hasn't should be striken from this discussion.

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 12:15 PM
Great, then list the rematches!

There hasn't been any, I never said there was, in fact I said in my first post it was a longshot anyway.

But one that is made all but impossible if the RRS is the last game of the season.

The closest we came is the year tOSU and Mich were 1&2 going into their game. It was a close game and there was a small cry for a rematch.

Had that game happened early in the year a rematch very well might have happened.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 12:15 PM
Have you been to OU-Texas at the Cotton Bowl? The opinion of anyone who hasn't should be striken from this discussion.

Yes I do and I love the atmosphere there. However the PAC 10 started scheduling games late in the year. I think the Big 10 is doing the same this year. I think the conference will eventually need a game late in the year so it won't basically be overlooked if OU or Texas are 11-1 and not getting looks compared to other 11-1 team like Florida Alabama because they won their conference title game by 30 points.

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 12:16 PM

This.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 12:21 PM
There hasn't been any, I never said there was, in fact I said in my first post it was a longshot anyway.

But one that is made all but impossible if the RRS is the last game of the season.

The closest we came is the year tOSU and Mich were 1&2 going into their game. It was a close game and there was a small cry for a rematch.

Had that game happened early in the year a rematch very well might have happened.

Fact of the matter remains....

The most recent occurence of a NC rematch was UF/FSU in '96-'97.

Yes, technically 2 years before the current BCS format, but the idea is the same. They were VOTED as the top 2 teams and played for the title, even though they just played in the final regular season game.

It can even be argued that the likelihood of a late season bowl rematch is even greater in the BCS era, since the computer composition (which is a portional of the formula) takes out any preconceived stigmas regarding the time of season that the loss occured.

soonervegas
6/15/2010, 12:22 PM
Yes I do and I love the atmosphere there. However the PAC 10 started scheduling games late in the year. I think the Big 10 is doing the same this year. I think the conference will eventually need a game late in the year so it won't basically be overlooked if OU or Texas are 11-1 and not getting looks compared to other 11-1 team like Florida Alabama because they won their conference title game by 30 points.

Nick if you have then I will respectfully disagree with you. I would rather us look to schedule a November non-confernce tilt. I might be tough, but I would prefer that to ruining the best tradition in college football.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 12:24 PM
The Big 10 moved their season ending back a week, and will end on Thanksgiving weekend. They previously ended their season before everyone else. Now they have just moved back with the rest of the country. Same day OU plays OSU.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 12:26 PM
If we don't schedule OU/TX that late then we need to put another game at that time. Maybe have rivarlries that week like have OU/OSU, Tx/TAM, KU/Mizzou, ISU/K-State, Baylor/Tech that week. Yes the last 2 are really weak games but it will probably be the best for the Big 12 if we have games that late in the year for the polls. It also couldn't hurt in ratings if we have games like that during that Thursday or Friday.

crawfish
6/15/2010, 12:29 PM
The Cotton Bowl is a dump, and the recent improvements only made it worse. I would not miss the fair personally, because I've decided I'm never going to a game in that stadium ever again.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah and taking a car down there is a disaster waiting to happen. Especially after you get that care stolen.

soonercastor
6/15/2010, 12:38 PM
I think he clearly stated that (ALBEIT IT WAS SLIM).

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 12:38 PM

Many times and I loved it. I'm just saying there is a trade-off here between tradition and what's best for the conference from a national power point of view. And I'm only talking about the scheduling of the game, not the format. I'm totally against having it switched to a home and home series as that would ruin the greatest CFB event in the country. But moving it to late Nov. or to Jerryworld might ruin it too. Like I said, there is a trade-off here and we'll see how it works out.

MeMyself&Me
6/15/2010, 01:11 PM
While I think the possibility of a champ game rematch is too remote to be a consideration, I do think moving that game to the end of the season significantly reduces the chances of having two teams in BCS bowl games.

Still, I don't care if moving it actually helped the conference. That would be a sad day. If it can't be during the fair at Fair Park, just make it home and home. Moving it to Jerryworld would be an abomination.

HoustonsOwn
6/15/2010, 01:45 PM

in a word, no...

Oldnslo
6/15/2010, 01:48 PM
<aggielite> But we're the Sooners' biggest rival! </aggielite>

King Barry's Back
6/15/2010, 01:52 PM
Nick if you have then I will respectfully disagree with you. I would rather us look to schedule a November non-confernce tilt. I might be tough, but I would prefer that to ruining the best tradition in college football.

Assuming the rest of the conference's are going to CCF's, it would be basically impossible to schedule a non-conference game that weekend.

Maybe we could book Notre Dame? That would get some attention.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 02:03 PM
Assuming the rest of the conference's are going to CCF's, it would be basically impossible to schedule a non-conference game that weekend.

Maybe we could book Notre Dame? That would get some attention.

2012, 2013.

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 02:09 PM
Fact of the matter remains....

The most recent occurence of a NC rematch was UF/FSU in '96-'97.

Yes, technically 2 years before the current BCS format, but the idea is the same. They were VOTED as the top 2 teams and played for the title, even though they just played in the final regular season game.

It can even be argued that the likelihood of a late season bowl rematch is even greater in the BCS era, since the computer composition (which is a portional of the formula) takes out any preconceived stigmas regarding the time of season that the loss occured.

True. But I just don't trust the BCS system, I think they can ensure it doesn't get an unfavorable matchup and I think RRS II would be seen as such.

But you are correct, the more we rely on CPUs the more likely it would become as the computers aren't swayed by things like viewer choice.

MamaMia
6/15/2010, 02:16 PM
I vote for tradition.

Widescreen
6/15/2010, 03:05 PM
Third, even if we go 11-1, if we lose to UT in the final game (espeically if it's convincing) with this craptastic conference, we are probably looking at no BCS bowl.

I was with you on most of that, but I still think that at 11-1, the loser would be ranked very high (even with a late loss) and still go to a BCS bowl.