PDA

View Full Version : I got a bad feeling about this...

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 10:39 PM
This is by FAR my least favorite option for how this situation could have shaken out.

I'm going to put the over/under on how long this new conference lasts at 7 1/2 years. I'm inclined to take the "under".

I still think a Pac-10 merger would have netted us a much bigger TV contract than the one FOX just dangled in front of us while giving us a nice, evenly-balanced, competitive conference.

I'm also annoyed we seem to have let Texas lead us around by the nose.

prrriiide
6/14/2010, 10:42 PM
I'm going to put the over/under on how long this new conference lasts at 7 1/2 years. I'm inclined to take the "under".

^^^^^This.

I'm also annoyed we seem to have let Texas lead us around by the nose.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ESPECIALLY THIS.

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 10:46 PM
Last I read there is no contract yet....just talk still to come...

Leroyt
6/14/2010, 10:48 PM
Definitely the under. 5 max. I'd still like to see texas and ou bolt to the sec and let everyone else turn into C-SWUSA or some other ridiculous motley crew.

PDXsooner
6/14/2010, 10:55 PM
It's only a matter of time before this conference falls apart. Missouri will bolt if the Big Ten comes calling. Texas has nothing to worry about with the number if eyeballs they have. I think OU will still be coveted and land on their feet, but the Big 12 is on borrowed time.

PDTsooner
6/14/2010, 10:58 PM
When will the Big 10 and SEC renegotiate their TV contracts? We'll have trouble then when our $$$ is not the same. Someone will want to leave.

ELP Sooner
6/14/2010, 10:59 PM
It's only a matter of time before this conference falls apart. Missouri will bolt if the Big Ten comes calling. Texas has nothing to worry about with the number if eyeballs they have. I think OU will still be coveted and land on their feet, but the Big 12 is on borrowed time.

100 percent agree

ouwasp
6/14/2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I don't know what Beebe is so proud of...(saving his own job?)

But Mizzou would leave tomorrow if the other Big 10 decided to call. Will ISU, KSU, Baylor, KU be looking for an escape valve just in case? They'd better be...

No way "The New and Improved Big XII" lasts another 10 yrs.

yankee
6/14/2010, 11:16 PM
Last I read there is no contract yet....just talk still to come...

and if somehow the talks fall through, then what? we burned our bridges to the pac 10. the sec isn't going to take 6 more teams. we're f'n stuck.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 11:19 PM
If fear that something happens to where we are somehow forced to take the MWC because of Texas. And Texas will end up being just fine the Big 10 or whatever.

Joe
6/15/2010, 01:45 AM
Good God nick stfu.

The thing that sticks out to me in this whole mess is we've been losing out on ~10m a year for a couple of years now as a conference. I so freaking hate Fox sports.

King Barry's Back
6/15/2010, 05:27 AM
and if somehow the talks fall through, then what? we burned our bridges to the pac 10. the sec isn't going to take 6 more teams. we're f'n stuck.

Putting this in the best light: We were mad at the Big XII because we didn't get very much money. Now we get a lot of money. Problem solved.

Putting this in a bad light: We are in a weak and fragile conference that, other than the state of TX, has little TV marketability outside of rural areas and KC. We lost our two most valuable members from the north.

Putting this in the light of day: Nationwide expansion will go on w/o us. Our alternatives will narrow, and if/when the Slim XII breaks apart, we may not have a firm place to stand. Our century-old relationship with Nebraska has been permanently severed, and we may never play them in football again except for the odd bowl game every 20-25 years. We've lost our away games in the Rocky Mtns, and forget about the Pacific Northwest altogether.

The road to the conference title now goes permanently through the Cotton Bowl in October, but not the road to the BCS title. The Slim XII schedule will be so weak that our champion will suffer. If OU keeps up the tough non-conf scheduling, hopefully that will offset.

The new 12 will give us a home for a few years. I am worried about after.

swardboy
6/15/2010, 08:41 AM
Putting this in the light of day: Nationwide expansion will go on w/o us. Our alternatives will narrow, and if/when the Slim XII breaks apart, we may not have a firm place to stand. Our century-old relationship with Nebraska has been permanently severed, and we may never play them in football again except for the odd bowl game every 20-25 years. We've lost our away games in the Rocky Mtns, and forget about the Pacific Northwest altogether.

Very astute.

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 08:49 AM
Putting this in the best light: We were mad at the Big XII because we didn't get very much money. Now we get a lot of money. Problem solved.

Putting this in a bad light: We are in a weak and fragile conference that, other than the state of TX, has little TV marketability outside of rural areas and KC. We lost our two most valuable members from the north.

Putting this in the light of day: Nationwide expansion will go on w/o us. Our alternatives will narrow, and if/when the Slim XII breaks apart, we may not have a firm place to stand. Our century-old relationship with Nebraska has been permanently severed, and we may never play them in football again except for the odd bowl game every 20-25 years.

Fine,.. schedule Nebraska non-conference every year. So many on here whine about not playing Nebraska. Here's your chance. You played us every year in a non-conference game. Let's see if Texas' bitch Osborne has the stones to schedule you guys non-conference (psst.. here's a hint.. he doesn't)

The road to the conference title now goes permanently through the Cotton Bowl in October, but not the road to the BCS title. The Slim XII schedule will be so weak that our champion will suffer. If OU keeps up the tough non-conf scheduling, hopefully that will offset.

Pleaseeeeee.... Cincy was a one second away from playing for the MNC last year. CINCY! From the Big Least. Their non-cons were... Southeast Misery St, Oregone State, Fresno State and Illinois. Hardly a murderer's row. Look at Boise State this year.. ranked in the top 5 to start the year and they play in the WAC.. THE WAC!!!! Win out and Texas or Oklahoma will have NO issues.

The new 12 will give us a home for a few years. I am worried about after.

Who knows what the landscape in college football will be in a few years.

OU_Sooners75
6/15/2010, 09:08 AM
OU stuck themselves when they decided they will do whatever Texas does.

I understand there is power in numbers, but publicly stating whatever Texas does we do, made us look very weak.

Texas held the entire deck and got what they wanted regardless...Colorado and Nebraska look to be the smart ones because they did not buy into this, "We want to see the Big 12 survive," speech by Texas.

Texas went shopping around knowing full well their intentions were to put pressure on the Big 12 so the can get their own TV deal!

To me, Dan Bebee is a freaking idiot and a weak individual. Some reporters are trying to portray him as the savior of the Big 12...BS...he is the reason it got to this point!

How fair is it for Texas to receive conference money for a TV deal, plus have their own TV market where they keep all the proceeds.

Texas called the shots and we were all puppets!

OU should still be shopping around...because the Big 12 is as good as dead...just like the old SWC!

MeMyself&Me
6/15/2010, 09:17 AM
Lid, Cincy is not a good example to push your point. They went undefeated in the regular season last year and were NOT selected for the BCS champ game in favor of two teams that won a conference championship game.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 09:25 AM
If fear that something happens to where we are somehow forced to take the MWC because of Texas. And Texas will end up being just fine the Big 10 or whatever.

Cuckoo talk.

fwsooner22
6/15/2010, 09:31 AM
So we almost doubled our TV money. We don't have to deal with PAC 10 refs. We don't have to play 9 PM games. We have a fairly cupcake conference with easy travel. We force UT to play a tougher non-con.

And the sky is falling. Sometimes its best to just make sure your world gets better not make someone elses twice as good. Who here regrets getting married for GD sakes.

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 09:46 AM
Lid, Cincy is not a good example to push your point. They went undefeated in the regular season last year and were NOT selected for the BCS champ game in favor of two teams that won a conference championship game.

Actually... the point was...

They lost out to two traditional powerhouse teams.

That is the way it will always be.

Will and undefeated Texas or an undefeated Ou ever be left out of a MNC? Not very likely.

OU Adonis
6/15/2010, 09:50 AM
What about going 11-1 and being left out of the NC game?

There could be a season where the SEC, Big10, and Big 12 all have teams go 11-1.

Who gets in on that situation? I think thats where it hurts us the most.

NormanPride
6/15/2010, 09:59 AM
I'm actually okay with this. As long as we and Texas stick together, both of our athletic programs will thrive. We can be in any conference, surrounded by any group of chumps that we will inevitably dominate, and we'll be fine.

We're set up with a supposedly great TV deal, we have about the same people we'll be playing, with an option to bring in new blood later, and we still play the Big One in Dallas. I'm okay with this.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2010, 10:00 AM
So what would have happened if OU and OSU had said, "thanks but no thanks Texas, we're gonna go to the PAC after all". Called their bluff and made nice with Scott et al? Would UT have blinked at any point? I feel like the outright fear of being boxed out of the Texas television market kept OU from negotiating at all, we simply reacted. Now granted Texas is our most important recruiting base, but what would have happened had OU, OSU & KU turned into a mini-block against UT and tried to force their hand? Would UT have said, "**** it, we're going independent?" I don't really think they would have, considering it took them about .0003 seconds to take Beebe's offer of a massive payday + the ability to form their own network. This was all a giant hand of poker that Texas outbluffed us on. I still contend that if the Big XII looked like: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State & Mizzou, UT would have come around.

soonervegas
Agreed no room for error for OU and Texas unless we beef up our out of conference schedule even more.

In conference we essentially play at Dallas, ansd then maybe a road game or two at OSU, Tech, or A&M. Hardly a murderer's row.

I am hoping OU decided to take all comers on the out of conference schedule, much like SC does.

ndpruitt03
Yeah because Colorado and Nebraska have been so tough in recent years. Nebraska was pretty good last year. Outside of that I don't remember them being nationally ranked in recent history. They still lost to Iowa State last year.

JohnnyMack
6/15/2010, 10:01 AM
Agreed no room for error for OU and Texas unless we beef up our out of conference schedule even more.

In conference we essentially play at Dallas, ansd then maybe a road game or two at OSU, Tech, or A&M. Hardly a murderer's row.

I am hoping OU decided to take all comers on the out of conference schedule, much like SC does.

Actually most of our non-con is already set, and adding in a conference game reduces our ability to add in much more.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 10:05 AM
What about going 11-1 and being left out of the NC game?

There could be a season where the SEC, Big10, and Big 12 all have teams go 11-1.

Who gets in on that situation? I think thats where it hurts us the most.

We'll have a hell of a lot more 11-1 seasons to worry about in the Big 12 than we would in the SEC, and we probably won't be nearly as beat up at the end of the year. The only the thing the PAC 10 has on us is a championship game and it's possible that could change. The PAC 10 is even weaker since USC is going down.

TMcGee86
6/15/2010, 10:07 AM
So what would have happened if OU and OSU had said, "thanks but no thanks Texas, we're gonna go to the PAC after all". Called their bluff and made nice with Scott et al? Would UT have blinked at any point? I feel like the outright fear of being boxed out of the Texas television market kept OU from negotiating at all, we simply reacted. Now granted Texas is our most important recruiting base, but what would have happened had OU, OSU & KU turned into a mini-block against UT and tried to force their hand? Would UT have said, "**** it, we're going independent?" I don't really think they would have, considering it took them about .0003 seconds to take Beebe's offer of a massive payday + the ability to form their own network. This was all a giant hand of poker that Texas outbluffed us on. I still contend that if the Big XII looked like: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State & Mizzou, UT would have come around.

This presumes the offer was open to individual teams, something I don't think was the case.

Now OU could have said "look texas, we are going to the Pac-10, sure the invite was for everyone, but if you guys are backing out and they are faced with us or Utah, who do you think they pick?" But that would have taken the ability to leave little bro behind, and I dont think the powers that be would have allowed that.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 10:08 AM

I giant hand of poker Texas outbluffed us on, except we get the same dealio they did.:rolleyes:

NormanPride
6/15/2010, 10:24 AM
What's good for Texas was also good for us. What do they have now that we don't? Some perceived ability to rule the new teams more than they already did? And how many times has that burned us?

KantoSooner
6/15/2010, 10:45 AM
What do they have that we don't?

1. Much more money.
2. A better ability to move to another conference if need be.

they have, in short, more options than we do.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 11:01 AM
What do they have that we don't?

1. Much more money.
2. A better ability to move to another conference if need be.

they have, in short, more options than we do.
1. right, more prestige, money, resources, people, etc.

2. OU plays in whatever conference OU wants. there isn't a conference in american that would accept Texas and decline OU, if the Sooners wanted to follow.

GottaHavePride
6/15/2010, 01:43 PM

2. OU plays in whatever conference OU wants. there isn't a conference in american that would accept Texas and decline OU, if the Sooners wanted to follow.

Except the Big Ten, because OU isn't an AAU member.

LiveLaughLove
6/15/2010, 02:20 PM

Why do we all of a sudden seem to think we are tied to Texas?!

I cant believe our fan base.

We survived and thrived without being in the same conference as Texas for several decades.

We won NCs way before they did, and won many more than them in between.

When we took them into the Big 8 ( A HUGE MISTAKE!) they were floundering. The Texas kids were leaving in droves because they were getting no national recognition. Their games were televised in Texas only, with the exception of the RRR.

They had a completely non-existant basketball program!

They came in, got more money from the get go, which rightfully alienated NU, a good rival, and started getting exposure.

Their recruiting went up. Texas kids started staying at home to play football and basketball. They grew and gained more than any other team from the Big XII.

They are now ranked in the top 5 every year. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE WHEN THEY WERE IN THE SWC!

Does anyone think this new deal is equitable? Abso-freaking-lutely not.

They will continue to grow because of the perceptions that have come from this.

We should have told the Pac-10 or SEC yes and called their bluff. They would not have stayed in a dead Big XII, TV contract or no. They would have grovelled hat in hand to the conference we went to and would not have had the power to say they wanted a greater share of any pie than the rest of us.

We blew it! This deal will not kill OU. I am in no way saying that. But it makes the monster south of us much bigger and that is not a good thing for us in any way.

The national headlines are "Texas this" and "Texas that". Its not about us folks. Thats a perception that is killer in recruiting.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 02:30 PM
Bullshipt. That perception helps us as much as it does Texas. If Texas is a big deal then we're a big deal by association. Texas just isn't as interesting without their nemisis and thats never been more apparent than now. We are the only thing keeping them from a shot at a NC and vice versa.

Collier11
6/15/2010, 02:32 PM
Per Sports Business Daily, FSN is pledging to increase its Big 12 deal by 500 percent.

stunandun
6/15/2010, 02:38 PM
My take is this: One of our teams has been in the BCS Championship in 6 of the last 8. The other conferences just want to break us up and have some what suceeded. What we really need to do is take the offensive and try and recruit from one of the power conferences. I wouldn't mind if we got an Arkansas or someone of that caliber. We need to turn the table on these conference raiders and return the favor.

LiveLaughLove
6/15/2010, 02:49 PM
My take is this: One of our teams has been in the BCS Championship in 6 of the last 8. The other conferences just want to break us up and have some what suceeded. What we really need to do is take the offensive and try and recruit from one of the power conferences. I wouldn't mind if we got an Arkansas or someone of that caliber. We need to turn the table on these conference raiders and return the favor.

Yeah good luck with that.

Arkansas got away from the Texas power. While I dont speak for them, they arent coming back.

There isnt a team from the Big X, Pac-10, or SEC that would even entertain coming to this league. None.

If we expand it will be to add the former SWC teams and some mid-majors thats it. Nothing of any value.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 03:13 PM
Why do we all of a sudden seem to think we are tied to Texas?!

I cant believe our fan base.

We survived and thrived without being in the same conference as Texas for several decades.

We won NCs way before they did, and won many more than them in between.

When we took them into the Big 8 ( A HUGE MISTAKE!) they were floundering. The Texas kids were leaving in droves because they were getting no national recognition. Their games were televised in Texas only, with the exception of the RRR.

They had a completely non-existant basketball program!

They came in, got more money from the get go, which rightfully alienated NU, a good rival, and started getting exposure.

Their recruiting went up. Texas kids started staying at home to play football and basketball. They grew and gained more than any other team from the Big XII.

They are now ranked in the top 5 every year. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE WHEN THEY WERE IN THE SWC!

Does anyone think this new deal is equitable? Abso-freaking-lutely not.

They will continue to grow because of the perceptions that have come from this.

We should have told the Pac-10 or SEC yes and called their bluff. They would not have stayed in a dead Big XII, TV contract or no. They would have grovelled hat in hand to the conference we went to and would not have had the power to say they wanted a greater share of any pie than the rest of us.

We blew it! This deal will not kill OU. I am in no way saying that. But it makes the monster south of us much bigger and that is not a good thing for us in any way.

The national headlines are "Texas this" and "Texas that". Its not about us folks. Thats a perception that is killer in recruiting.

i don't. but bob and joe prefer to stay in the same conference as them. it has worked wonders so far. i can't argue with them!

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 03:14 PM
Per Sports Business Daily, FSN is pledging to increase its Big 12 deal by 500 percent.
there is a reason ABC would put the Big 12 on primetime week after week after week. the ratings were blowing up!

Collier11
6/15/2010, 03:15 PM
like someone posted in another thread, OU and ut are two of the biggest draws in the nation, OU is even bigger than ut

GimmeRed
6/15/2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah because Colorado and Nebraska have been so tough in recent years. Nebraska was pretty good last year. Outside of that I don't remember them being nationally ranked in recent history. They still lost to Iowa State last year.

Did you not lose your last game in Boulder?

Collier11
6/15/2010, 03:18 PM
upsets happen, overall Colorado has been a crapfest

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 03:20 PM
We've won a total of 2 games in Lincoln and Boulder but that still doesn't matter they haven't been that good good for most of this decade.

GimmeRed
6/15/2010, 03:24 PM
We've won a total of 2 games in Lincoln and Boulder but that still doesn't matter they haven't been that good good for most of this decade.

Don't get me wrong I know Nebraska has been down.

They are also on the rise and should very well challenge to win the Big XII this year.

There may very well be one final show down with OU and NU in Dallas this year.

soonervegas
6/15/2010, 03:25 PM
Except the Big Ten, because OU isn't an AAU member.

Or the Pac-10 now that we gave them the middle finger. Hell will freeze over before they ask again.

So our options are: SEC if Texas bolts.

We done a real good job of painting ourselves into a corner.

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 03:26 PM
like someone posted in another thread, OU and ut are two of the biggest draws in the nation, OU is even bigger than ut

Gonna have to throw the bull****inski card on ya there Collier...

let's see some some hard statistics.. viewership.. ratings.. that sort of thing.

Collier11
6/15/2010, 03:32 PM
Big 12 2008-09 Revenue Sharing

1. Oklahoma, $12.2 million
2. Texas, $11.8 million
3. Kansas, $11.5 million
4. Missouri, $10.4 million
5. Texas A&M, $10.2 million
6. Oklahoma State, $10.0 million
7. Colorado, $9.77 million
8. Nebraska, $9.73 million
9. Texas Tech, $9.2 million
10. Baylor, $9.1 million
11. Iowa State, $8.9 million
12. Kansas State, $8.4 million

There is a thread about it on this board if you want the link

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 03:34 PM
Although you have to think about what was going at OU for that year. Blake Griffin being the best player in basketball, OU's football team scoring 50 a game till the final game. I bet we were way down the last year. Probably in the 9 million range.

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 03:42 PM
Big 12 2008-09 Revenue Sharing

1. Oklahoma, $12.2 million
2. Texas, $11.8 million
3. Kansas, $11.5 million
4. Missouri, $10.4 million
5. Texas A&M, $10.2 million
6. Oklahoma State, $10.0 million
7. Colorado, $9.77 million
8. Nebraska, $9.73 million
9. Texas Tech, $9.2 million
10. Baylor, $9.1 million
11. Iowa State, $8.9 million
12. Kansas State, $8.4 million

There is a thread about it on this board if you want the link

That was 2008 - 2009. Not 2009 - 2010. 2009 - 2010, most speculate that Texas will garner about $12.2 million... Ou about $10.6 million.

Also, in terms of viewership, even the Bama Hillbillies cite the most watched BCS champeenship games...

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/1/12/1247756/championship-game-the-second-most

Here is the 2007 – 2008 data, with non-conference opponents and bowl games:
1. Texas: $10.2 million- Arkansas State, TCU, Central Florida, and Rice- Holiday Bowl
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million- North Texas, Miami, Utah State, and Tulsa- Fiesta Bowl
3. Kansas: $9.24 million- Central Michigan, SE Louisiana (D-1AA), Toledo, and Florida International- Orange Bowl

Besides revenue does not equal "drawing power." It means the revenue distributed to the school because of television and bowl appearances.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 03:44 PM
I'm just wondering how the hell we are going to get double the money.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 03:48 PM
Although you have to think about what was going at OU for that year. Blake Griffin being the best player in basketball, OU's football team scoring 50 a game till the final game. I bet we were way down the last year. Probably in the 9 million range.

While you may be correct, this post was very poorly played. Sometimes you just need to know when to not add your 2 cents.

or

Way to help the Whorn, dude.

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 03:50 PM
While you may be correct, this post was very poorly played. Sometimes you just need to know when to not add your 2 cents.

or

Way to help the Whorn, dude.
So basically I need to quit being like Joe C. :D

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 03:55 PM
Ha! Now that was well played.