PDA

View Full Version : Last time we won in Omaha

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 09:23 PM
Nobody wants to remember the last time you went to Omaha to lose two games. So let's remember the last time we went to Omaha and won. Maybe we can repeat that performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5I8qCc18Wo

Can't embed sorry.

Jacie
6/14/2010, 09:52 PM
Whorns don't have to worry about losing in Omaha this year . . .

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2010, 10:07 PM
That Georgia Tech team had some really good players. Nomar and Varitek off the top of my head.

jadubya
6/14/2010, 10:35 PM
see you in omaha boys.....amazing performance by this crew.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 10:36 PM
I will never forget that Damon Minor HR, what a shot

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:59 PM
last time we were in omaha i had vern ruhle calling my house 3 times a week.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:59 PM
That Georgia Tech team had some really good players. Nomar and Varitek off the top of my head.

jay payton

Sooner04
6/15/2010, 12:00 AM
Little known fact about the '94 title game: the ball Damon Minor hit........it came down last week.

tommieharris91
6/15/2010, 12:06 AM
Little known fact about the '94 title game: the ball Damon Minor hit........it came down last week.

It came down?

bri
6/15/2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah, it hit the moon and ricocheted back.

Collier11
6/15/2010, 03:59 AM
In CWS history, OU has had

2 Champions
1 third place finish
4 fifth place finishes
2 7th place finishes

stoopified
6/15/2010, 08:09 AM
Screw GTech and the players THEY had in the gameI'd rather rembber the Sooners.

C-Javier Flores
1B Ryan Minor
2B Guitteriz
SS Rich Hills
3B MJ mariani
LF Aric Thomas
CF Chip Glass
RF Darvin Traylor?
DH Damon Minor
P ?
Save by Bucky Buckles

Did this all off the top of my head without looking anything up.Can't rember Guitterez' first name,not sure about RF and do not recall the starting pitcher.

Sooner04
6/15/2010, 08:48 AM
Darvin Traylor is correct in right. The starter in the finals was Lovingier.

1994 National Champions (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-basebl/archive/94-national-champs.html)

I think I had three different designs of that "25 Guys Pulling on the Same Rope" T-shirt they printed up after the championship.

badger
6/15/2010, 08:57 AM
What's the team motto this year - don't bunt when you can hit a homer?

IronHorseSooner
6/15/2010, 09:32 AM
We have to be one of the hottest coming into this thing. I fully believe that you save Shore until the second game, likely against ASU. If he can shutout UVA, one of the best offensive teams in the country, at home, with a chance to go to Omaha, then he can get it done against ASU. It will be interesting to see how Coach runs his rotation. I can tell you this- that if South Cackalacky or ASU have an ace lefty, we will see him. Right now, I think I would much rather bathe in acid that pitch to Reine. That dude is just flat murdering everything!

tfoolry
6/15/2010, 09:46 AM
I was there in '94 when they beat GT 13-2 for NC. Allsome!

NMSooner'80
6/15/2010, 10:53 AM
Damon Minor also hooked a ball foul that may have gone farther than the one he hit in the title game. Against Arizona State, in what I think was the late Jim Brock's last game, he crushed a ball to right that went foul but was an absolute bomb.

If he hit that one in Albuquerque, with the thin air here, in the minor league park, it would have landed in Clovis.

Eielson
6/15/2010, 11:46 AM
jay payton

Did we play the Yellow Jackets or the Red Sox?

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 11:52 AM
All 3 of those played with both. Not all at the same time. Payton and Veritek played for the BoSox in 05. Of course you know about Nomar and Veritek

Collier11
6/15/2010, 12:15 PM
Screw GTech and the players THEY had in the gameI'd rather rembber the Sooners.

C-Javier Flores
1B Ryan Minor
2B Guitteriz
SS Rich Hills
3B MJ mariani
LF Aric Thomas
CF Chip Glass
RF Darvin Traylor?
DH Damon Minor
P ?
Save by Bucky Buckles

Did this all off the top of my head without looking anything up.Can't rember Guitterez' first name,not sure about RF and do not recall the starting pitcher.

Mark Redman

ndpruitt03
6/15/2010, 12:21 PM
Russ Ortiz pitched on those teams. He had a solid MLB career.

badger
6/15/2010, 12:37 PM
The pitcher who once threw in the Little League World Series is now heading to the game's other marquee amateur event. Last time, he was struck out by the infamously-too-old Danny Almonte. This time, he'll be the one bringing the heat.
Did you guys know about that? Shore was one of the kids screwed by Danny Almonte's family lies? Crazy. Hope our team gives him a much better world series memory.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100615_92_B1_Oklaho60069)

GamecockSkip
6/15/2010, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to the game. I think this is the first time We've played Oklahoma in any sport. Ought to be a great game.

badger
6/15/2010, 01:37 PM
Looking forward to the game. I think this is the first time We've played Oklahoma in any sport. Ought to be a great game.

Howdy cocky - I just returned from a vacation in South Carolina at your fabulous little piece of heaven known as Hilton Head Island :)

Look forward to our matchup. Don't take us Sooners lightly!

Sooner04
6/15/2010, 01:53 PM
Incorrect!

I think it was the fall of '91 when we came to Columbia (with a former South Carolina transfer by the name of Brent Price) and won 61-60.

Upon further review, we've met a few times on the hardwood.

South Carolina Series (http://www.soonerstats.com/basketball/men/series/details.cfm?oppid=138)

GamecockSkip
6/15/2010, 03:24 PM
Howdy cocky - I just returned from a vacation in South Carolina at your fabulous little piece of heaven known as Hilton Head Island :)

Look forward to our matchup. Don't take us Sooners lightly!

We can't take anyone lightly. Our pitching and defense are pretty good, but our bats can go long stretches without making any noise. We also have a bad tendency to leave runners in scoring position. Y'all beat a very good Virginia team, so we know we have to come to play. If you liked Hilton Head, you ought to try Edisto Beach, Litchfield Beach or The Isle of Palms. Much nicer beach communities.

GamecockSkip
6/15/2010, 03:25 PM
Incorrect!

I think it was the fall of '91 when we came to Columbia (with a former South Carolina transfer by the name of Brent Price) and won 61-60.

Upon further review, we've met a few times on the hardwood.

South Carolina Series (http://www.soonerstats.com/basketball/men/series/details.cfm?oppid=138)

That was the period I was living in Oregon. No wonder I can't remember. Winters in the Pacific Northwest tend to lead a man to drink in excess.

badger
6/15/2010, 06:04 PM
We have the same experience with OU Football. But probably not for the same reasons.

And I haven't been all over South Carolina, but that whole area is very pretty. One of my fondest family memories is of going to a pig pickin' out there. Good times!

bri
6/15/2010, 07:20 PM
I think I had three different designs of that "25 Guys Pulling on the Same Rope" T-shirt they printed up after the championship.

We've made "25 Guys Pulling On The Same Rope" jokes more than once this season in the control room. I guess they heard us and got tired of being reminded how long it'd been since we won anything. :D

tfoolry
6/16/2010, 02:54 PM
I just checked the forecast for Omaha this weekend & there’s 100% chance of a “Reine” storm of home runs.

stoopified
6/16/2010, 05:16 PM
I was there in '94 when they beat GT 13-2 for NC. Allsome!Apparently you fell asleep during the game and missed THREE GT runs,the finaL WAS 13-5.

Lovinger ,that's right,I knew it wasn't Redman,Mark pitched the semi-final.

stoopified
6/16/2010, 05:18 PM
We've made "25 Guys Pulling On The Same Rope" jokes more than once this season in the control room. I guess they heard us and got tired of being reminded how long it'd been since we won anything. :DI still have my 25 GUYS PULLING ON THE SAME ROPE T from1994.

badger
6/16/2010, 05:21 PM
I still have my 25 GUYS PULLING ON THE SAME ROPE T from1994.

can ya post a pic of it?

SCSooner71
6/18/2010, 03:56 PM
I was there in '94 when they beat GT 13-2 for NC. Allsome!

Wasnt it 13-5

bri
6/18/2010, 05:55 PM
I still have my 25 GUYS PULLING ON THE SAME ROPE T from1994.

I had one, but it's long gone. I still have a threadbare "Oklahoma Baseball 1994 National Champions" shirt around here somewhere, but I say we replace it this week.

King Crimson
6/19/2010, 10:09 AM
i watched the championship game at the now defunct, but sorely missed Senor Miguels Pub in Boulder, CO. one of the last working class/biker bars in Boulder...along with Chief's and the Sundowner. but, good times and the best Bud on tap i've ever had...just like Bud should taste, colder than cold. i had the Pall Mall smoking afternoon steadies (usually got there before noon) pulling for OU (sort of)....they knew me since i ate lunch there a lot. free chips and salsa at the bar, too. chips were usually stale. but, the chile verde was about my fave i've ever had....and hot.

good times. now that space that was next to a trailor park is now an office complex.

pretty excited to be back and the last year at Rosenblatt is nifty, too.

badger
6/19/2010, 10:11 AM
one day to go! so, i created a new avatar to pass the time :)

Sooner04
6/19/2010, 10:27 AM
I had one, but it's long gone. I still have a threadbare "Oklahoma Baseball 1994 National Champions" shirt around here somewhere, but I say we replace it this week.
Hot damn! I had one of those shirts too!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/19/2010, 01:00 PM
We have the same experience with OU Football. But probably not for the same reasons.

And I haven't been all over South Carolina, but that whole area is very pretty. One of my fondest family memories is of going to a pig pickin' out there. Good times!Did you go out to Ft. Sumter, "where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers meet, to form the Atlantic Ocean"?

GrapevineSooner
6/19/2010, 01:04 PM
NOMMMMAHHHH!!!!

...played for Georgia Tech that year. So did the great New England Patriots placekicker (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Jason-Varitek-hero-kicker-of-the-New-England-Pa?urn=mlb,239990), Jason Varitek. :)

bri
6/19/2010, 05:24 PM
Hot damn! I had one of those shirts too!

Balfour's excelled at selling me multiple shirt designs for the same occasion; I had 3 different '94 championship shirts. And let's not even get started on how many different versions of the '93 Texas State Champs shirt I had to get. Stupid bowl game. :mad:

SCSooner71
6/20/2010, 09:06 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR RRRRRRRR!!!

badger
6/20/2010, 09:46 AM
About three hours!

Soooonerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sooner95
6/20/2010, 01:37 PM
Rain delay..from the looks of the radar it'll be a good hour or so before they can begin.

boomersooner28
6/20/2010, 02:19 PM
Good, cause I'm on the road. : )

King Barry's Back
6/21/2010, 05:34 AM
Just to chip in -- I still my ball cap from the 1994 College World Series championshiop.

It was basically a double to the caps the team wore, with the words "1994 NCAA College World Series Champions" stitched on the back.

I came real close to tossing it about a month ago. Maybe keeping it was good mojo?

King Barry's Back
6/21/2010, 05:38 AM
Regarding previous meetings between OU and South Carolina:

"*-Prior to today, Oklahoma and South Carolina have squared off only one time, a 13-2 victory by South Carolina on 2/9/2007"

That's according to Jay Upchurch in his CWS notes.