PDA

View Full Version : Why THIS, WHY NOW

PLaw
6/14/2010, 06:52 PM
Here is the word out of the Austin area from the orangeblood guru:

1) Texas announced they are staying in Big 12 (well known already on this site)

2) Major network (un-named, but assumed to be FOX) worked a deal to give the remaining ten Big 12 schools a new deal which should bring OU, UT, and TAMU around $20MM per year and double Big 12 payout to other members ($14-15MM per year). The motivation was this network saw potential for catalyst to melt down of other existing conferences and formation of new mega conferences which would require new contracts.

3) Texas has the rights to start a new network, not previously allowed in the Big 12 and certainly not allowed in the PAC-16. New TV deal could net Texas $5MM per year which they will NOT split with other schools.

4) Just saw OU and TAMU commit to new Big 12 Lite. Very disappointing, considering the potential (and high likeliehood of the UT TV network).

5) The network TV deal above is only for 10 teams - there will be no additional schools added. Period.

So why all of this and why now?

If there was only one year remaining on the Big 12 TV contract, then why didn't CU and NU stand pat and understand the new contract potential before bolting to the big 10.

At least, why couldn't the conference stood pat and formed an alliance with the PAC-10 to generate more TV revenue?

I believe it all comes down to Nebraska being snubbed too often by the Big 12 and Texas wielding more than a partners share of the power which they enjoyed for so long in the Big 8 with OU. Osborn couldn't handle the 2nd chair role, picked up his toys, and headed East.

This has been an emotional roller coaster that has stretched over too many days. In the end, I'm disappointed that OU didn't act more independently of Texas. The Pac whatever and the SEC would be a better deal than being Texas' foot stool.

Somehow, if Texas gets this network going, then we better make darn sure that we get our fair cut of that pie.

Man, I think I'm going to hate this new Texas-10 league.

BOOMER

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 06:54 PM
Love the Big 12!

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 06:57 PM
Reports on other outlets say any team in the Big 12 has a right to start their own network but only A&M and OU are included in that. Orange Bloods doesn't seem to have the complete story but that's nothing new for them as they always play the Texas angle like the rest of us are stupid and not going to find out the devil is in the details.

Hard to fathom sticking at 10 teams when all the conferences have championship games but the Big whatever.

Monster Zero
6/14/2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah it sucks but you gotta hand it to Texas. They sure did run a play on everybody, and they showed everybody who is in charge around here.

In charge of everything, all the time.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 06:58 PM
Meant to say only OU and A&M in addition to Texas would be interested in their own network.

Funky G
6/14/2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah it sucks but you gotta hand it to Texas. They sure did run a play on everybody, and they showed everybody who is in charge around here.

In charge of everything, all the time.

Agreed. We should bolt to the SEC. **** 'em.

Stitch Face
6/14/2010, 08:08 PM
I believe it all comes down to Nebraska being snubbed too often by the Big 12 and Texas wielding more than a partners share of the power which they enjoyed for so long in the Big 8 with OU. Osborn couldn't handle the 2nd chair role, picked up his toys, and headed East.

Kinda funny: Remember when Steve Pederson at NU said he wouldn't "surrender the Big XII to Oklahoma and Texas"?

I guess after he was replaced Dr. Tom didn't have the same qualms.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/14/2010, 08:33 PM
Here is the word out of the Austin area from the orangeblood guru:

1) Texas announced they are staying in Big 12 (well known already on this site)

2) Major network (un-named, but assumed to be FOX) worked a deal to give the remaining ten Big 12 schools a new deal which should bring OU, UT, and TAMU around $20MM per year and double Big 12 payout to other members ($14-15MM per year). The motivation was this network saw potential for catalyst to melt down of other existing conferences and formation of new mega conferences which would require new contracts.

3) Texas has the rights to start a new network, not previously allowed in the Big 12 and certainly not allowed in the PAC-16. New TV deal could net Texas $5MM per year which they will NOT split with other schools.

4) Just saw OU and TAMU commit to new Big 12 Lite. Very disappointing, considering the potential (and high likeliehood of the UT TV network).

5) The network TV deal above is only for 10 teams - there will be no additional schools added. Period.

So why all of this and why now?

If there was only one year remaining on the Big 12 TV contract, then why didn't CU and NU stand pat and understand the new contract potential before bolting to the big 10.

At least, why couldn't the conference stood pat and formed an alliance with the PAC-10 to generate more TV revenue?

This has been an emotional roller coaster that has stretched over too many days. In the end, I'm disappointed that OU didn't act more independently of Texas. The Pac whatever and the SEC would be a better deal than being Texas' foot stool.

Somehow, if Texas gets this network going, then we better make darn sure that we get our fair cut of that pie.

Man, I think I'm going to hate this new Texas-10 league.

BOOMERSWC Revived, plus OU and some doormats.

6/14/2010, 08:49 PM
Hel*, I'd rasther go to the SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC than have a smaller conference, and are we still guaranteed a BCS bowl for the champion of our diminished league?

PLaw
6/14/2010, 09:18 PM
Hel*, I'd rasther go to the SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC than have a smaller conference, and are we still guaranteed a BCS bowl for the champion of our diminished league?

There will be no conference championship game with fewer than 12 schools. And, yes we still have a guaranteed BCS berth for the league champion.

Expect to play 9 conference games and 3 OOC games.

BOOMER

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 09:26 PM
smoke and mirrors....

sooneron
6/14/2010, 09:39 PM
Couldn't any school go after * if they were to appear on their network? It seems like an appearance release thing to me. If you don't want to be on a tv show, don't sign a release. If you sign one, make sure there is cash in it for you.

kevpks
6/14/2010, 09:46 PM
The prudent course of action in regards to the forthcoming UT network is to ruin their programing by beating them into the Cotton Bowl turf.

Sabanball
6/14/2010, 09:52 PM
Because you got punked...by Texas. And I never thought that could happen--until the last 48 hrs. Oh, and you can call it what you want, BUT that is now the national perception--your current administration in Norman takes their marching orders from Austin. And that is very sad.

You guys have more tradition and prestige than Texas has. I dont understand it. Know I'm gonna get flamed, but that's the way I feel.

Sabanball
6/14/2010, 10:02 PM
...And I am beginning to think this was all a rouse by Texas to get rid of Nebraska.

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 10:04 PM
no flame from me saban.....you speak the truth....the cold sad truth. I may buy bama gear from here on out....denounce my throne...I may be up for adoption...

Cheerin' 4 OU
6/14/2010, 10:10 PM
no flame from me saban.....you speak the truth....the cold sad truth. I may buy bama gear from here on out....denounce my throne...I may be up for adoption...

WTF?

You're gonna quit being a Sooner fan over this? You're outta your mind and are a bandwagoner, then and if that's the case:

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/steve_in_washington/well_bye.jpg

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:13 PM
The prudent course of action in regards to the forthcoming UT network is to ruin their programing by beating them into the Cotton Bowl turf.

Exactly! We keep beating TX and their network dreams go pop!

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2010, 10:17 PM
Because you got punked...by Texas. And I never thought that could happen--until the last 48 hrs. Oh, and you can call it what you want, BUT that is now the national perception--your current administration in Norman takes their marching orders from Austin. And that is very sad.

You guys have more tradition and prestige than Texas has. I dont understand it. Know I'm gonna get flamed, but that's the way I feel.

You're right. It's pathetic and a sad day for Sooners and Oklahomans.

Boomer Mooner
6/14/2010, 10:18 PM
WTF?

You're gonna quit being a Sooner fan over this? You're outta your mind and are a bandwagoner, then and if that's the case:

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/steve_in_washington/well_bye.jpg

This.

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 10:21 PM
since 1955......I would hardly call that a bandwagoner.....lighten up francis..

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 10:24 PM
and it's a bit sad for us old timers......just sayin.....and joking...and drinkin...

RoaminSooner
6/14/2010, 10:25 PM
We sold out. Pretty sad day...

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:30 PM
Channel 9 just showed that OU, TX and A&M get over $20M each while OSU and the rest get $14-17

We play nine conference games in football and 18 conference games in basketball so no more we play Kansas once -- we get them home and away.

Coaches are happy not to have a conference championship according to Toby Rowland which makes non-conference games very important.

Looks like we are staying at 10 for now if not permanently.

Boomer Mooner
6/14/2010, 10:31 PM
How in the hell did we sell out by not bailing on the Big 12, especially when we will be getting roughly 3 times the money we were getting last year? So what if Texas can start their own network, we can too if want to.

Bunch of ****ing cry babies.

Sabanball
6/14/2010, 10:38 PM
Though I'm a tide fan through and through--I still love Oklahoma--and OU--I grew up and was raised in Miami. I went to Steve Owen's high school. Back when I was there, I could not have ever imagined a Barry Switzer team or program bowing to Fred Akers or Darrel Royal. The two programs were totally independent of one another, despite the rivalry. That has now changed.

From now on, when your team walks down the ramp at the Cotton Bowl in October, it will never feel the same to me after what's happened. Your leadership has basically subjugated your program to Mac Brown--it's really that simple.

Sad.

Leroyt
6/14/2010, 10:38 PM
Since the big12 has been carrying nebby for the last 10+years, I think they come out looking the worst. They just changed scenery, but the results won't get dramatically better when they probably lose a shot at recruits from the lone star. Getting beat in your home state still means the family gets to see you, catching a whuppin' from teams in the land of burning couches and sweater vests has much less appeal. Money is money, but with no conference championships in the last 10 years, it smells like surrender to me.

sooneron
6/14/2010, 10:41 PM
I just love whorn logic-

Big East is not accurate. We're the new Pac 10.

Seriously.

1. Pac-10 was always USC with Oregon close behind and occasionally UCLA. New Big XII will have TX with OU close behind and occasionally tech/A&M with decent years.
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6212229&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=2&vc=1

I didn't realize we "were close behind * with all of their B12 titles as opposed to our measly 6 titles. I mean, they've had at least what? 3?

RoaminSooner
6/14/2010, 10:49 PM
We would've made the same money in the Big Pac. So, you would rather have Texas make more $$ than us?...and have their own network?! The other major conferences equally share revenue? We had an opportunity to level the playing field and we've lost it for good because Joe C. didn't have the balls to force their hand. Guarenteed we see a whorn fan wearing a 'We Own Y-OU' shirt at next years RRR

6/15/2010, 12:02 AM
Though I'm a tide fan through and through--I still love Oklahoma--and OU--I grew up and was raised in Miami. I went to Steve Owen's high school. Back when I was there, I could not have ever imagined a Barry Switzer team or program bowing to Fred Akers or Darrel Royal. The two programs were totally independent of one another, despite the rivalry. That has now changed.

From now on, when your team walks down the ramp at the Cotton Bowl in October, it will never feel the same to me after what's happened. Your leadership has basically subjugated your program to Mac Brown--it's really that simple.

Sad.Haha, some OU fan you are! I don't like it either, but that stupid move won't stop me from loving and following OU. We will get everyone's attention if we can start beating them and their refs again.

bri
6/15/2010, 12:11 AM

Being in separate conferences probably helped. :D

I'm glad they didn't have the internets and sportz radio back when we left the Missouri Valley. Man, they would have had a conniption that all the ether down at the druggist's wouldn't be able to subdue.

Stitch Face
6/15/2010, 12:19 AM
Dunno if this will be "good for OU" or "bad for OU" in the long run, but the whole move just feels kinda...boring. Colorado and Nebbish get to go sow their wild oats in new conferences while we get the same thing we had before. Only smaller. No Big Red game every few years, no CCG (which, admit it, was usually pretty allsome), probably no RRS at the fair. I was getting jazzed for a sea change in the competitive landscape of the game, the chance to beat down some California hippies each year, maybe a rivalry with USC, the occasional Stoops vs Stoops bash, watching little brother lose to Oregon State in the Leftover Halloween Candy Game, that sort of thing. Instead we get the same thing we had before. Only minus a coupla teams, minus a coupla traditions, minus one thoroughly spectacular championship game every once in awhile. *sigh*

RoaminSooner
6/15/2010, 12:24 AM
^^^THIS^^^

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 12:28 AM
Hey wait, I'm one of those "California hippies" at the moment. Well, more of a hippie-wannabe, but stuck on the west coast for a while. It would have been fun to walk to the Stanford stadium to watch the Sooners.

6/15/2010, 01:07 AM
Hey wait, I'm one of those "California hippies" at the moment. Well, more of a hippie-wannabe, but stuck on the west coast for a while. It would have been fun to walk to the Stanford stadium to watch the Sooners.I'm in PHX, and was looking forward to seeing the Sooners in Tempe, Tucson, LA, Palo Alto and Berkeley. Oh well...

Herr Scholz
6/15/2010, 01:31 AM
Guys, going from $10M to $20M in tv money (while not having to move anything) isn't a reason to get mad. I know a lot of you stay on tilt year round, but this is a good thing.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 07:41 AM
We would've made the same money in the Big Pac. So, you would rather have Texas make more $$ than us?...and have their own network?! The other major conferences equally share revenue? We had an opportunity to level the playing field and we've lost it for good because Joe C. didn't have the balls to force their hand. Guarenteed we see a whorn fan wearing a 'We Own Y-OU' shirt at next years RRR

Show me where we were getting $20M going to the Pac 10. OU got a gauranteed $20M a year out of this deal, SAME AS UT, which is more than we would have gotten in either the Pac 10 or the SEC.

You guys are acting like Texas is getting all the TV rights for Big 12 football or something. All they get to do is start their own network, SAME AS US for Christ's sake. Why should we get any of the money from a network showing UT volleyball, and really why should we care?

As far as some whorn wearing a 'We Own Y-OU" shirt at next years RRR, just think how fun it will be to run into him after the game when we've kicked their ***.

Buck up people! We're ****ing OU! Quit acting aggie already.

delhalew
6/15/2010, 08:20 AM
Eventually we will begin to be passed over without a CCG. This is the most vital problem.
I'm all for preserving tradition. I'm more for going to the NCG on a regular basis.

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 08:42 AM
What a bunch of whiny little bitches... :rolleyes:

If you are able to get past the "oh woe is us... how could we let this happen" pablum, what has occurred is...

So many people on here have been bitching about "we miss the Big 8, we wish it were like this again.." well.. that's what you have, but with greater markets, a lot more money and more exposure. This Great Plains Conference will become the Big 2, Little 8 (just as the Big 8 was the Big 2, Little 6).

Texas and Ou playing annually for....

More than an even chance to play in the MNC every year.

You don't think so? Hell, look at Boise State this year. In most preseason polls, they are ranked in the top 5. .and they play in the WAC... the WAC!! Remember last year... Cincy had a chance to play in the MNC and they are from the Big Least.

You bitch and whine and moan about, "Oh... we miss playing Nebraska every year!" Fine.. schedule them non-conference every year! IF the Great Plains Conference doesn't get an exemption to play a championship game, schedule them at Thanksgiving again.

Texas and Ou get their own conference... a big television contract, the right to start their own cable network, national exposure (most likely on Big Daddy Fox not baby FSN).. prime time games every week (Tx v. Tx Tech, Ou v. aggy, etc). You want a west coast trip that you would have gotten with the Pac 16? (actually, in all likelihood, it would have meant ONE trip west every year)... fine. .schedule a west coast team non-conference.

Jeez laweez people.. forest and trees.... forest and trees.

swardboy
6/15/2010, 08:54 AM
Well lid, I'm kinda with you on this one (gag, spit, yuck, excrement, diarrhea, etc). I'm looking at this as the Dust Bowl of 2010 with all this conference alignment crap stirring up the landscape. But the dust is settling....and we're Oklahoma dammit...and we will rise up and dominate the college football world as we have before. WE CAN'T BE DENIED!!! rant over.

C&CDean
6/15/2010, 08:54 AM
I hate to admit that I agree with the filthy burnt-orange lawyer.

Some of you need to step back from the ledge and use your ****ing brain. A 16-team Pac-10 was never going to work or happen. Also, Stoops has stated many times that he was not interested in playing against his brother every year.

SEC? **** them. A bunch of slobbering goons. Who really wants to play at LSU every other year?

Here's the deal. This will end up working out great for OU financially. The key though is what happens on the field. It doesn't matter what conference we're in, with our schedule all you've gotta do is win. We win, we're in the NC game. Period.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 09:07 AM
A conference with 2 elite teams is plenty strong to contend nationally. The Pac10 and Big10 have placed teams ('SC, tOSU) in the title game having only a 1 team conference. Going to a Pac16 super conference would dilute our national changes and was an odd fit. Going to an SEC super conference could well have made us irrelevant. The biggest thing hurting the big12 was the lop-sided nature of the divisions and that aspect goes away, at least for a while. The biggest remaining problem is having the 2 power teams play each other too early in the season. October is traditional for the RRR, but that was because it was non-conference originally. OU/NU at at Thanksgiving worked out well not because we were all off work eating turkey, but because it was the next to last regular season game and the stage was set.

MiccoMacey
6/15/2010, 09:09 AM
Guys, going from $10M to $20M in tv money (while not having to move anything) isn't a reason to get mad. I know a lot of you stay on tilt year round, but this is a good thing.

On the surface, it sounds great. But here's where I have my issues. And I'll admit that all this comes in the construct of a socialist idea...that the only way an entity can work (like a conference) is for all sub-entities to work toward what's best for the whole. Other wise, in a "get-what-I-can-for-me-and-me-alone" attitude, you might as well be an independent.

1) Even though it's been going on since the inception of the Big Twelve (with an 11-1 vote), the inequitable division of monies is wrong. It screams of a heirarchy in something that's supposed to be completely equal. How can you have a conference where some teams are starting off ahead, and then are kept ahead? It helps each university, but it would (and did) kill a conference. At least as we knew it.

2) Any individual network by any individual university (be it Texas or OU) will kill any possible chance of a Big Twelve network. Which will only enhance the disparity between the haves and have nots. At some point, you're going to have a bigger version of what we just had...some of the "lesser" markets are going to fall farther and farther behind, they're going to resent being in a structure that's "unfair" to them, and the conference will crumble.

Any network deal by any university will kill this conference.

3) This whole deal smells of deception. Whether it was The Big Twelve conference, Texas, Nebraska, or whoever who actuall started the whole thing rolling (blame who you want...it doesn't matter at this point), this whole thing seems like a calculated, orchestrated maneuver by someone.

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/15/2010, 09:11 AM
Joe C has said from the beginning that he wanted to keep the big 12 together. Texas not bailing out gave him that opportunity.

If Texas bails, A & M goes to the SEC, TT and OSU go to the Pac 10. There would be no Big 12 or even a little 6. We'd be forced to go to the SEC or Pac 10. Like it or not this is probably the best out come from the Texas / Nebraska slap fight.

And BTW, since when do we care about how we're perceived by folks from Bama? :)

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 09:12 AM
On the surface, it sounds great. But here's where I have my issues. And I'll admit that all this comes in the construct of a socialist idea...that the only way an entity can work (like a conference) is for all sub-entities to work toward what's best for the whole. Other wise, in a "get-what-I-can-for-me-and-me-alone" attitude, you might as well be an independent.

1) Even though it's been going on since the inception of the Big Twelve (with an 11-1 vote), the inequitable division of monies is wrong. It screams of a heirarchy in something that's supposed to be completely equal. How can you have a conference where some teams are starting off ahead, and then are kept ahead? It helps each university, but it would (and did) kill a conference. At least as we knew it.

2) Any individual network by any individual university (be it Texas or OU) will kill any possible chance of a Big Twelve network. Which will only enhance the disparity between the haves and have nots. At some point, you're going to have a bigger version of what we just had...some of the "lesser" markets are going to fall farther and farther behind, they're going to resent being in a structure that's "unfair" to them, and the conference will crumble.

Any network deal by any university will kill this conference.

3) This whole deal smells of deception. Whether it was The Big Twelve conference, Texas, Nebraska, or whoever who actuall started the whole thing rolling (blame who you want...it doesn't matter at this point), this whole thing seems like a calculated, orchestrated maneuver by someone.

Equal opportunity does not mean equal results.

you you you... Obama-ite you!!!!!

Jello Biafra
6/15/2010, 09:14 AM
What a bunch of whiny little bitches... :rolleyes:

If you are able to get past the "oh woe is us... how could we let this happen" pablum, what has occurred is...

So many people on here have been bitching about "we miss the Big 8, we wish it were like this again.." well.. that's what you have, but with greater markets, a lot more money and more exposure. This Great Plains Conference will become the Big 2, Little 8 (just as the Big 8 was the Big 2, Little 6).

Texas and Ou playing annually for....

More than an even chance to play in the MNC every year.

You don't think so? Hell, look at Boise State this year. In most preseason polls, they are ranked in the top 5. .and they play in the WAC... the WAC!! Remember last year... Cincy had a chance to play in the MNC and they are from the Big Least.

You bitch and whine and moan about, "Oh... we miss playing Nebraska every year!" Fine.. schedule them non-conference every year! IF the Great Plains Conference doesn't get an exemption to play a championship game, schedule them at Thanksgiving again.

Texas and Ou get their own conference... a big television contract, the right to start their own cable network, national exposure (most likely on Big Daddy Fox not baby FSN).. prime time games every week (Tx v. Tx Tech, Ou v. aggy, etc). You want a west coast trip that you would have gotten with the Pac 16? (actually, in all likelihood, it would have meant ONE trip west every year)... fine. .schedule a west coast team non-conference.

Jeez laweez people.. forest and trees.... forest and trees.

jeezus christ on a stick....i can't argue with him at all.

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/15/2010, 09:19 AM
jeezus christ on a stick....i can't argue with him at all.

Doesn't that make you feel dirty all over. :D

MiccoMacey
6/15/2010, 09:20 AM

There won't be equal results in any endeavor, unless you just want to play all games and then hand out participation ribbons for everyone. I'm cool with being unequal results (on the field).

But if you're going to enter an alignment with a bunch of others, and then you design things so that you have the upperhand in that alignement, those who are slighted will eventually get upset and leave.

All this did was:

1) Get OU, Texas and probably A&M some more immediate money

2) Guarantee we will see the same thing we saw with Nebraska rear it's ugly head again a few years down the road, only this time it'll be an Iowa State or someone else who isn't getting treated fairly.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 09:20 AM
**** me with a bois d'arc post, I'm on the same side of the arguement with Herr and ****ing lid.

MiccoMacey
6/15/2010, 09:21 AM

Oh, and the obligatory, "Screw you, Horn!!!"

:D

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 09:23 AM
Really? And all the conferences are standing in line to pick up Iowa State? Missouri tried it and they are TICKLED ****LESS they get to stay.

There won't be equal results in any endeavor, unless you just want to play all games and then hand out participation ribbons for everyone. I'm cool with being unequal results (on the field).

But if you're going to enter an alignment with a bunch of others, and then you design things so that you have the upperhand in that alignement, those who are slighted will eventually get upset and leave.

All this did was:

1) Get OU, Texas and probably A&M some more immediate money

2) Guarantee we will see the same thing we saw with Nebraska rear it's ugly head again a few years down the road, only this time it'll be an Iowa State or someone else who isn't getting treated fairly.

Jello Biafra
6/15/2010, 09:23 AM
Doesn't that make you feel dirty all over. :D

yeh. i need a shower.

MiccoMacey
6/15/2010, 09:27 AM
Really? And all the conferences are standing in line to pick up Iowa State? Missouri tried it and they are TICKLED ****LESS they get to stay.

I said "like" an Iowa State. If I were to pick the actual team, I'd lean toward Kansas. Or even Texas A&M. SOMEONE down the line will see a disparity, and we'll be doing this all over again.

Just my prediction.

KantoSooner
6/15/2010, 09:27 AM
We get more money, we keep our RRS game annually, we don't have to be part of throwing ISU and the state of Kansas under the bus (which I would have advocated, but it would have left a sour taste). All good. No tears. Pac10-16 or SEC were not without issues, big ones.
Here's my observation(s):

1. The money. Really Dan? Really? Precisely who is going to pay this? I'll believe it when I see it and not before. And note that a big ole chunk of that money is in the form of penalties from Nebs and CU. That's kind of a one time thing. Nice, but it doesn't repeat. And how long do you think their lawyers can tie that up? Again, the money you talk about in business dinners over mucho vino often don't match the numbers you get down to the next morning over coffee.
2. How long does this last? What stops Tejas from playing the same game the next time they want.....more? Answer for those of you not following the course of events: nothing. Not one dam thing. Next year, three years from now. Whenever. Texas just pulls this same shiite again. Only then we might be headed into a down year or two, they might have their precious little network set up and our negotiating power may very well be less than it is now.

Long and short. We got some money, for a while; and that's good. We most emphatically did NOT improve our position strategically. We kicked the ball down the field in exchange for a temporary payday.......that is itself not guaranteed.
Maybe this was the best we could get. I certainly have no private pipeline into the discussions. But I'm very far from celebrating this morning.

One guy who should, however, is Mr. Beebe. He saved his job. And all he had to do was to give Texas whatever they asked for (whatever they told him to give them). Smooth move Dan. Real operator, you are.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 09:36 AM
I believe the $20M a year OU gets is guaranteed.

You guys keep talking about this Texas network like they are taking something away from us. It's not like they get the rights to Big 12 football! They just get the right to put a network together that broadcasts whorn ****. Who ****ing cares? They also got us the right to start an OU network if we want...something we would not be able to do in the PAC 10 or SEC.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/15/2010, 09:58 AM
Dunno if this will be "good for OU" or "bad for OU" in the long run, but the whole move just feels kinda...boring. Colorado and Nebbish get to go sow their wild oats in new conferences while we get the same thing we had before. Only smaller. No Big Red game every few years, no CCG (which, admit it, was usually pretty allsome), probably no RRS at the fair. I was getting jazzed for a sea change in the competitive landscape of the game, the chance to beat down some California hippies each year, maybe a rivalry with USC, the occasional Stoops vs Stoops bash, watching little brother lose to Oregon State in the Leftover Halloween Candy Game, that sort of thing. Instead we get the same thing we had before. Only minus a coupla teams, minus a coupla traditions, minus one thoroughly spectacular championship game every once in awhile. *sigh*

What's wrong with the status quo? The status quo has been pretty good for us if you haven't noticed.

6/15/2010, 11:29 AM
We get more money, we keep our RRS game annually, we don't have to be part of throwing ISU and the state of Kansas under the bus (which I would have advocated, but it would have left a sour taste). All good. No tears. Pac10-16 or SEC were not without issues, big ones.
Here's my observation(s):

1. The money. Really Dan? Really? Precisely who is going to pay this? I'll believe it when I see it and not before. And note that a big ole chunk of that money is in the form of penalties from Nebs and CU. That's kind of a one time thing. Nice, but it doesn't repeat. And how long do you think their lawyers can tie that up? Again, the money you talk about in business dinners over mucho vino often don't match the numbers you get down to the next morning over coffee.
2. How long does this last? What stops Tejas from playing the same game the next time they want.....more? Answer for those of you not following the course of events: nothing. Not one dam thing. Next year, three years from now. Whenever. Texas just pulls this same shiite again. Only then we might be headed into a down year or two, they might have their precious little network set up and our negotiating power may very well be less than it is now.

Long and short. We got some money, for a while; and that's good. We most emphatically did NOT improve our position strategically. We kicked the ball down the field in exchange for a temporary payday.......that is itself not guaranteed.
Maybe this was the best we could get. I certainly have no private pipeline into the discussions. But I'm very far from celebrating this morning.

One guy who should, however, is Mr. Beebe. He saved his job. And all he had to do was to give Texas whatever they asked for (whatever they told him to give them). Smooth move Dan. Real operator, you are.Looks like this to me, too. (from what I THINK I know about the situation)

delhalew
6/15/2010, 12:19 PM
While Lid may have a point, i just want to say, who the **** asked your ****ing opinion? **** off whorn!
I think we should schedule an OOC oponent late in the season to stretch our season and ensure a tough opponent late to keep us high in the BCS.

Boomer Mooner
6/15/2010, 12:57 PM
While Lid may have a point, i just want to say, who the **** asked your ****ing opinion? **** off whorn!
I think we should schedule an OOC oponent late in the season to stretch our season and ensure a tough opponent late to keep us high in the BCS.

That sounds like a good plan, but most tough OOC teams already have their hands full toward the end of the season ramping up for their own conference championship game. Notre Dame would be a good exception.

PalmBeachSooner
6/15/2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not too worried about the Bevo network. Who else is going to give a hairy rat's *** what's showing on it except for finicky horn fans. I don't see how they are going to come up with enough programming to fill a 24/7 schedule. Lot's and lots of reruns.

delhalew
6/15/2010, 01:15 PM
I think basing tv money on apearances makes the most sense. If KSU doesn't like it, then they better get their **** together and win.
Should ISU get the same money as us...when we are the ones that turn on tvs?

TexasLidig8r
6/15/2010, 02:02 PM
I'm not too worried about the Bevo network. Who else is going to give a hairy rat's *** what's showing on it except for finicky horn fans. I don't see how they are going to come up with enough programming to fill a 24/7 schedule. Lot's and lots of reruns.

Non-revenue sports... highlights.. coaches shows... behind the scene shows... replays of past games... a few basketball games a year.. football games not picked up by the network... general interest shows/stories.... expand to include general stories about Austin, the live music scene... broadcast Austin City Limits...

It's more about the number of cable subscribers we could get and negotiating with Comcast, ATT, Time Warner and the satellite companies to include it with other sports programming in their expanded coverage.

SoonerMom2
6/15/2010, 02:15 PM
The TV package is from ESPN. They didn't want to pay for a Super Conference so they agreed to pay for the 10 team Big 12.

This morning it came out that Kansas, MO, and the other people who did not get left behind are signing over their share of millions from CO and NE to OU, UT, and A&M for saving the conference.

Sooner5030
6/15/2010, 05:00 PM
1. OU will make more money
2. OU will still play UT & OSU
3. OU will continue to schedule good OOC games
4. Saving the BIG12 blocked "super conferences"
5. the BIG12 will keep its auto-BCS bid
6. CU left the conference

Why not this, why not now?

Tear Down This Wall
6/15/2010, 05:11 PM

Pathetic, isn't it? Now you see why Nebraska and Colorado got out while they had their chance.

A&M should have followed. They'd make just as much in the SEC.

It'll all come back into play in a couple of years. The SEC and Big Ten will renew their contracts for more money and the maggots that run OU and Texas will start to feed again.

The footnote is that neither OU nor Texas wants money and competition. If they did, they'd go ahead and join the SEC.

What they want is a softer conference and more money. They've emasculated themselves regarding the BCS computer element, which all but guarantees more crybaby routines from Stoops and Mack.

They formerly cried about having to play in a championship game. The first year they are surpassed by schools who win championship games, they'll be whining about not having one. It's getting old.

Pathetic. I never thought I'd live to see us clinging to Texas' skirt so fervently.

The next act will be DeLoss Dodds moving the OU-Texas game to Arlington, with our athletic director and president releasing more lame joint statements about how much better it will be than having the traditional State Fair atmosphere.

Tear Down This Wall
6/15/2010, 05:13 PM
Non-revenue sports... highlights.. coaches shows... behind the scene shows... replays of past games... a few basketball games a year.. football games not picked up by the network... general interest shows/stories.... expand to include general stories about Austin, the live music scene... broadcast Austin City Limits...

It's more about the number of cable subscribers we could get and negotiating with Comcast, ATT, Time Warner and the satellite companies to include it with other sports programming in their expanded coverage.

So, basically, crap no one outside of a five square mile area of Austin gives a damn about.

utex74
6/15/2010, 05:34 PM
Exactly! We keep beating TX and their network dreams go pop!

With all due respect, don't you need to START beating Texas again before you can KEEP beating them. Just a small point. Anyway, the game in Dallas will never appear on either a UT or an OU network. Not what it's for.

Sooner95
6/15/2010, 05:54 PM
I don't know, I kind of like it now with just 10 teams. Like the Big8 used to be, you played everyone, and last man standing won the Conf.

Sooner95
6/15/2010, 05:56 PM
Yea, utex is right, OU/TX is to big for a regional network..ESPN/ABC will always have that puppy.

I do think Texas would be crazy not to include a couple of games from OU and TT into their future experiment. Then again, those will be games I'll never see unless i buy the package..which prob won't happen..lol

cjames317
6/15/2010, 06:46 PM
All this talk about how the horns are gonna get so much $$$ at everyone else's expense makes me think they're gonna get fat and happy. Have you seen their OOC schedule over the next few years?

If we stay sharp, against the likes of FSU, TCU, ND, LSU and the real UT, we'll carve up the horns for many Octobers to come.

Leroyt
6/15/2010, 06:48 PM
A&M should have followed. They'd be just as irrelevant in the SEC.

FIFY

swardboy
6/16/2010, 07:24 AM
The TV package is from ESPN. They didn't want to pay for a Super Conference so they agreed to pay for the 10 team Big 12.

This morning it came out that Kansas, MO, and the other people who did not get left behind are signing over their share of millions from CO and NE to OU, UT, and A&M for saving the conference.

Missouri's AD is adamant that this is not so, in my morning paper. They haven't signed over anything...could be a fight about this.