PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Oklahoma on Big 12

Jay C. Upchurch
6/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Oklahoma President David L. Boren and Vice President and Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione released this joint statement this evening regarding OU’s decision to remain in the Big 12 …

“The decision to stay in the Big 12 represents a consensus position which resulted from a collaborative effort with our colleagues in the conference. We value the strong working relationship that has been reaffirmed during this process among the conference members. We intend to work very hard to make the conference as lasting and dynamic as possible. We appreciate the respect and interest that has been shown to OU during this process.”

The University of Oklahoma Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Wednesday, June 16, has been cancelled.

OU SID Report

Texas A&M also announced it will be staying in the Big 12 as well...

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:30 PM
good deal.

add 2 more teams, and we still are the 2nd best conference.

OU and UT alone make you top 2

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 06:33 PM

I thought that this entire thing was negotiated for a 10 team conference. Do they even add anyone now that they have this "sweet" TV deal? Would they want to divy up the cash any further?

Finally, if we do add teams, who would it be?

rawlingsHOH
good deal.

great deal

i dont think we need to add. i like the idea of everybody playing each other and no ccg

JLEW1818
yep we are officially staying!

I'm very happy

icmwhOU72
I do not hate this, i just think we are delaying the inevitable. What is going to happen to our ten team conference when everyone else goes to 12+ teams? We will be a joke. What if there are four conferences with 16 teams that decided that they will use their conference championships as the first round of a playoff and the big X is left out? I dont know i just feel like we will not be able to pick up any teams to expand our conference.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:34 PM
great deal

i dont think we need to add. i like the idea of everybody playing each other and no ccg

I'm fine with that too.

swardboy
6/14/2010, 06:34 PM
Missouri can clean up their **** now.......

Jay C. Upchurch
6/14/2010, 06:35 PM
Absolutely... this is the best thing for not just Texas, but for OU and the other remaining eight Big 12 members...

Whether they keep it at 10 teams or go out and attempt to add a couple of schools, it's certainly a strong and viable conference...

JLEW1818
yah lol at Missouri,

soonerbub
Did everyone just give the bugeaters a big F U?

I say make em pay the full penalty

Dio
6/14/2010, 06:36 PM
Yay! ISU KSU and Baylor every stinking year, and Texas has even more power.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 06:36 PM
Where is this money coming from and why didn't we get it 2 weeks ago?

Dio
6/14/2010, 06:38 PM
it's certainly a strong and viable conference...

Yeah, let's rename it SWC v2.0

SoonerMom2
Think the 16 team mega conference is off the table at least for a long time. I do think with everyone having conference championship games, Big 12 needs to go back to 12. That layoff has always hurt the Big 10 and it will happen to the Big 12 no matter what they say. The Conference Championship games garner a lot of interest.

Why do we need to play everyone every year?

Big 10 never did when they had 10 teams. Always someone they didn't play like the year Wisconsin didn't play Ohio State. At that time there were 11 games so only 8 games in conference.

Hate the divisions we are stuck with -- why can't we reshuffle every fours years?

rawlingsHOH
yep we are officially staying!

I'm very happy

so is stoops!!

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:39 PM
i prefer adding 2 more teams.

but don't care if we stay at 10

rawlingsHOH
Absolutely... this is the best thing for not just Texas, but for OU and the other remaining eight Big 12 members...

Whether they keep it at 10 teams or go out and attempt to add a couple of schools, it's certainly a strong and viable conference...

right on, jay!

boomerborn79
Oklahoma President David L. Boren and Vice President and Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione released this joint statement this evening regarding OU’s decision to remain in the Big 12 …

“The decision to stay in the Big 12 represents a consensus position which resulted from a collaborative effort with our colleagues in the conference. We value the strong working relationship that has been reaffirmed during this process among the conference members. We intend to work very hard to make the conference as lasting and dynamic as possible. We appreciate the respect and interest that has been shown to OU during this process.”

The University of Oklahoma Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Wednesday, June 16, has been cancelled.

OU SID Report

Texas A&M also announced it will be staying in the Big 12 as well...

I feel kinda glad about this. I know everyone will say that the big 12 has taken a hit, but to move to the pac ten with those fags made me sick. I would have hated to say we play in the pac ten. I think the way things have been going it's good to slow down and think about OU and the big 12. If we can make more money by staying and having a major vote in the big 12 then i think its better. I really don't care if ut makes more money, it just makes it that much better when we beat them inon the field,court,etc. I know that the ccg was a big money maker but its also a big chance to get beat and loose a chance to play for the championsip. I also, think this gives the big 12 a cance to react on their own terms and let this whole realigment thing become a little more clear. GOOD LUCK BIG 12....Let's go OU

SoonerMom2
Where is this money coming from and why didn't we get it 2 weeks ago?

Money came from Fox Sports when they had a heart attack about a mega conference and the cost. It was cheaper this way.

Fraggle145
6/14/2010, 06:40 PM

This makes my dick hard. :mad:

yankee
6/14/2010, 06:41 PM
**** this.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:41 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/31093_401412184926_502784926_392397.jpg

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 06:42 PM
Am on the ESPN email list and the only three schools they are reporting are staying is TX, OU, and A&M. Guess all the suck-up by OSU to Texas didn't work -- they are still OSU!

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. They really **** the bed on this one.

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 06:45 PM
This sticks it to JerryWorld too--so much for the multi-year deal for the cg.

Another plus

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 06:46 PM

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 06:46 PM
Need to rename it the Texas and everyone else conference. or TAEEO...

TAEEO... day light go and I have to go home.

SoonerInKCMO
6/14/2010, 06:47 PM
Great. A 10 team conference with four ag schools, (5? What is TTech? Eh, who knows or cares?) a Bible-bangin' Baptist school, a school that practically begged the Big 11 to take them, and ****ing Texas.

Awesome. :rolleyes:

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 06:48 PM
Will Beebe add anyone? I hope so.

Dio
So Jay, is it true OU/TX is moving to Jerryworld the first week of Dec, to make up for no CCG?

OU Adonis
I think this proves Boren is a homosexual with all the sucking off of Texas he did.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2010, 06:50 PM
Son: Dad, why do they call it the Big 12 conference?
Dad: Because there are 10 teams in it, son.
Son: Dad, why do they call that other conference the Big 10?
Dad: Because there are 12 teams in it, son.
Son: You suck, dad.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 06:56 PM

W, W, W. And so does OU.

This is a win for the Sooners. Sorry it doesn't increase your personal entertainment value.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:58 PM
some people just want to lose games. i don't understand why any sooner fan would not like what happened today...

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:58 PM
I love how all of you assume that we stood off to the side and let texas do whatever they wanted or that we let texas have all the power. Did any of you sit in the negotiation room? Lets see the actual numbers before we go making assumptions.

Also, we lost Nebraska who is a cusp top 25 team lately and doesnt offer much in alot of other sports. This conference is still really good

SoonerShark
6/14/2010, 07:00 PM
great deal

Agreed. No jerry world. Now if we did not need to go to Ames and could play the basketball tournament outside of KU's backyard life would be perfect.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 07:02 PM
I love how all of you assume that we stood off to the side and let texas do whatever they wanted or that we let texas have all the power. Did any of you sit in the negotiation room? Lets see the actual numbers before we go making assumptions.

Also, we lost Nebraska who is a cusp top 25 team lately and doesnt offer much in alot of other sports. This conference is still really good

There was a hold up this afternoon and since Texas and A&M were already on board, I have a hunch that OU may have been getting in their two cents. Noted that TX, A&M, and OU released their comments all at the same time about the Big 12. Think there were three players in this -- TX, OU, and A&M and the rest were along for the ride because if sources are true, those three schools will be getting a lot more of the revenue than the rest of the schools.

badger
6/14/2010, 07:02 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/31093_401412184926_502784926_392397.jpg

And all Dan Beebe had to do was promise a Bevo network.
http://i46.tinypic.com/6sastt.jpg

TahoeSOONER
6/14/2010, 07:05 PM
Yes, it's a win if you like easy W's.

This conference is officially OU/tx and the eight bitches until someone else rises up.

Golden hat=Nat'l title shot .

Does this force the teasips to play someone out of conference for once? We know OU will travel and play people but if Texas stays status quo it won't be enough.

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:07 PM
some people just want to lose games. i don't understand why any sooner fan would not like what happened today...

Your absolutely right... all the weak conferences in the last 10 years won the National championships in football.

MyT Oklahoma
6/14/2010, 07:08 PM
Did everyone just give the bugeaters a big F U?

I say make em pay the full penalty

The answer to your question is yes.

And I second the motion regarding full payment from the Bugeaters for leaving early.

I still can't believe NU had the nerve to suggest that they shouldn't have to pay a penalty. I guess they didn't read their Big 12 contract before they signed it. Drunk.. cheap and stupid is no way to go through life Huskers.

SoonerMom2
Oklahoman did its usual with headline that OU/OSU were staying when the article was about OU only. Headline did not match the article as usual.

Dio
W, W, W. And so does OU.

This is a win for the Sooners. Sorry it doesn't increase your personal entertainment value.

So why don't we just fill our schedule with creampuffs then, Pollyanna? And as long as I'm buying season tickets every year, I reserve the right to bitch about sticking around in a ****ty, dying conference.

oudivesherpa
6/14/2010, 07:10 PM
Talk Radio in Houston has 3 candidates for Big XII Expansion--Houston (a homer play), TCU and Bosie State. Bosie State seems way out in left field a good team in a very minor TV market.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:12 PM

This conference is officially OU/tx and the eight bitches until someone else rises up.

Does this force the teasips to play someone out of conference for once? We know OU will travel and play people but if Texas stays status quo it won't be enough.

Its the same conf minus Neb, colorado has sucked lately

OKLA21FAN
6/14/2010, 07:12 PM
Talk Radio in Houston has 3 candidates for Big XII Expansion--Houston (a homer play), TCU and Bosie State. Bosie State seems way out in left field a good team in a very minor TV market.

Potato State no havazee enough seats to meet the minimum big 12 capacity requirements.

Utah would get a look before BSU

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:16 PM
you all realize that the only conference who made a significant change was the Big 10 with Neb, why do you all the sudden think that the Big 12 sucks when it has consistently been a top 3 conference for the last decade?

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:17 PM
Your absolutely right... all the weak conferences in the last 10 years won the National championships in football.

well they did in 2000 (not weak, but okay), 2002, 2004, 2005

I'll take my chances.

joining the SEC would be suicide

Half a Hundred
6/14/2010, 07:17 PM
This sticks it to JerryWorld too--so much for the multi-year deal for the cg.

Another plus

The only ones truly cheering right now are the lawyers. Good lord, the litigation...

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:19 PM

when has the conference not been just OU/UT

OU and Texas have won it 8 out of the last 10 years. 80% dominance, not bad. but now all of a sudden the big 12 sucks!!!

soonervegas
6/14/2010, 07:21 PM
Pretty sure this signals the end of the OU/Texas at the state fair in October. Let's enjoy our last few.....

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:21 PM
8 out of the last 10 BCS champs were from the top 3 conferences (SEC #1, Big 12 #2, Big 10 #3)

We are now probably ranked #5th in conference power.

rainiersooner
6/14/2010, 07:22 PM

^^^ This. And no CCG? I don't see how that benefits us.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:23 PM
8 out of the 10 BCS champs were from the top 3 conferences (SEC #1, Big 12 #2, Big #3)

okay please explain.. we were number 2 in the conference power a week ago.

now are 5th, because Nebraska and Colorado left.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

OU and Texas, that is all you need. It's all you ever will need.

add a tech and aggie, hell bring in air force and tcu or byu. it aint over.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 07:24 PM
If you are going to add teams -- NO Texas teams -- 4 is enough. I still think we should add Memphis and collect the $10M per year being offered by the Chairman of FedEx.

rainiersooner

LMAO

Collier11
We drop to #5 because we lose Nebraska, impressive logic there

soonervegas
6/14/2010, 07:25 PM
OU Adonis is right. OU needs to start scheduling like an independent in their 3remaining out of conference games. (i.e. LSU AND at Ucla) The one marquee game isn't going to do it.

That's the only way we can stay level with the power conferences.

oudivesherpa
6/14/2010, 07:27 PM
Potato State no havazee enough seats to meet the minimum big 12 capacity requirements.

Utah would get a look before BSU

OKLA21FAN--you are right BSU capacity is only 33,500 while the Utes stadium
holds 45,000 plus Salt Lake is big TV market compared to Bosie. But the Blue filed should count for something.

TahoeSOONER
when has the conference not been just OU/UT

OU and Texas have won it 8 out of the last 10 years. 80% dominance, not bad. but now all of a sudden the big 12 sucks!!!

Yes, OU/tx have dominated naturally but Nebraska was on the verge of northern dominance and returning to Nat'l powerhouse.

OSU and A&M have proven very little. Lot's of new coaches around and obviously Kansas and KSU are the big winners.

Not that the Big 12 sucks but I was looking forward to some bigger games, not weaker.

JLEW1818
OU Adonis is right. OU needs to start scheduling like an independent in their 3remaining out of conference games. (i.e. LSU AND at Ucla) The one marquee game isn't going to do it.

yah because are non-conference schedule has sucked the last few years.. :rolleyes:

oh and we don't play Florida State and N. Dame for the next 4 seasons.

oh and Tennessee for another 2 years.

we are already set up for this 10 teams or 12 teams, either or.

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:28 PM
okay please explain.. we were number 2 in the conference power a week ago.

now are 5th, because Nebraska and Colorado left.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

We now are the smallest conference outside of the Big East in football.

Big 10 passes us, Pac 10 passes and you can debate on the ACC.

We sure in hell now have lost a lot of tradition in our conference when it comes to NC's in football. We just lost two schools that had 6 NCs, one of which had more NC's than texas has.

Collier11

Have you seen this years schedule? Have you seen our future schedules? Its like some of you just say stuff

noobalicious
Big 12 has been going for 14 years. That's 28 appearances in the CCG.

Nebraska appeared 5 times (17.8%)
Colorado appeared 4 times (14.3%)

Say what you want about those two schools not being big losses, but we just lost two teams that accounted for 32.1% (nearly ONE THIRD) of appearances in our conference championship game.

That's a big loss no matter how you slice it. And I wish that we hadn't pushed all our chips in on this ten team option. I like the divisions and the CCG.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 07:29 PM
Its the same conf minus Neb, colorado has sucked lately

They sucked enough to keep us from a MNC appearance in 2007. **** that still pisses me off. But yeah, other than that they haven't been worth a crap. I will miss playing Nebraska, though.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:29 PM

We sure in hell now have lost a lot of tradition in our conference when it comes to NC's in football. We just lost two schools that had 6 NCs, one of which had more NC's than texas has.

You cant just plainly say that, its a year to year deal. It all depends on how good the lesser teams are from year to year

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:30 PM

i understand that they have titles. but how many national titles did Neb/Col win while playing in the big 12?

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:30 PM
We drop to #5 because we lose Nebraska, impressive logic there

How about because it will most likely be us and the Big Least that are the only conferences that don't hat a CCG?

How about having fewer football NC's than the Pac 10, the big 10, the SEC, and (I will have to count)the ACC?

Stitch Face
6/14/2010, 07:31 PM
Regardless of the inherent strengths of the Big XII (or whatever) or the continued potential dominance of OU/Tx, what seems odd is that we are moving in the opposite direction of the other power conferences. The Big 10 (or whatever) just expanded to twelve teams and the PAC 10 (or whatever) will likely find (an)other team(s) to reach twelve or more. We're slimming down into a very old-fashioned looking conference.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:31 PM
who is to say we don't add 2 more teams????

i mean 1 day ago, people would be betting testicles that the big 12 was done.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:32 PM
What does past natl titles have to do with current conference strength?

What does not having a conference title game have to do with current conference strength?

You are just grasping here

OU Adonis
i understand that that they have titles. but how many national titles did Neb/Col win while playing in the big 12?

Your just proving my point that the Big 12 wasn't as strong as we thought, and losing those teams makes us weaker.

When was the last time Texas won a NC before the Big 12? When was the last time they were in the top 5 at the end of the year before the Big 12?

This only helps Texas, who likes weak schedules.

ndpruitt03
Adding teams means we would have to change the contrac since we are being paid 15 million each team. The good thing about this is that more games will be on apparently.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:34 PM

Say what you want about those two schools not being big losses, but we just lost two teams that accounted for 32.1% (nearly ONE THIRD) of appearances in our conference championship game.

That's a big loss no matter how you slice it. And I wish that we hadn't pushed all our chips in on this ten team option. I like the divisions and the CCG.

All but one of those Colorado teams were a joke. They won the North when the North was crap

Harris County Sooner
6/14/2010, 07:35 PM
If they are smart the two conferences can just trade all of their stuff that has logos on it and swap trademark ownership.

MeMyself&Me

This. It IS a diminished league. You can argue all you want about HOW diminished it is but it is a diminished league and that is how it's going to be viewed by the rest of the country and the media.

JLEW1818
LOL SOMEBODY FROM THE ****ING NORTH HAS TO WIN THE NORTH.

are yall freaking kidding ?

overall under the big 12, Nebraska and Colorado were just the best 2 in a bad divison, and they were never consistent.

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:36 PM
What does past natl titles have to do with current conference strength?

What does not having a conference title game have to do with current conference strength?

You are just grasping here

7 of the last 10 BCS champs were from conferences with CCG games.

Only two major conferences had CCG's at the time. I think that shows it helps alot.

Without the CCG game in 2000 we don't win our 7th NC.

I say it helps out a lot.

And if you have to ask about what do NC's mean about current strength your basically saying that tradition doesn't mean squat when it comes to recruiting and overall power a school wields.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:37 PM
how would we have not won the national championship in 2000 without a conference championship game?

please explain

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:39 PM

now average in winning percentage in the Big 12 Championship game for Nebraska and Colorado. what's that number?

Mississippi Sooner
how would we have not won the national championship in 2000 without a conference championship game?

please explain

I agree. We were number 1 with a bullet going into that game. The only thing that game stood to do was hurt us if we lost.

soonervegas
The good news is that we will see which camp is correct over the next 5 years.

Camp A - who thinks we just became the 4th or 5th best conference (or)
Camp B - the camp who thinks losing two schools who have won 6 national titles is a non factor

12 year old rolling eyes icons or not.

Collier11

and?

Only two major conferences had CCG's at the time. I think that shows it helps alot.

Please explain, this is beyond rediculous

And if you have to ask about what do NC's mean about current strength your basically saying that tradition doesn't mean squat when it comes to recruiting and overall power a school wields.

What the hell does Nebraskas past have to do with our current conference strength, OU or uts recruiting, etc?

Captain Cob Mob
6/14/2010, 07:40 PM
i understand that they have titles. but how many national titles did Neb/Col win while playing in the big 12?

Did you think about what you wrote here, before you wrote it? I know we just went through our worst decade in like 50 years, but we do have as many NC's as UT and OU while we were a Big 12 member...

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 07:41 PM
Adding teams means we would have to change the contrac since we are being paid 15 million each team. The good thing about this is that more games will be on apparently.

Because the Big 12 has unequal revenue sharing, the deal will mean more money for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, who all would receive at least $20 million annually from the new deal.

The other seven schools in the Big 12 would make between $14 million and $17 million, doubling what they currently receive in TV revenue.

Source: ESPN and other sports outlets

JLEW1818
Did you think about what you wrote here, before you wrote it? I know we just went through our worst decade in like 50 years, but we do have as many NC's as UT and OU while we were a Big 12 member...

my question is how many did you win while playing in the big 12. either school.

I'm simply comparing how good each Nebraska and Colorado were in the big 12. that is all.

Collier11
an since Tom left, you havent even sniffed one...and please dont mention 01'

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2010, 07:42 PM
good deal.

Bull. Sh*t.

I've held off on you for a while, but you are an idiot if you think that is remotely true.

Is the SEC Bama and whoever else in second?

Is the ACC Miami and whoever else in second?

Is the Pac 10 USC and whoever else in second?

Is the Big 10 Ohio State and whoever else in second?

No.

Each one of the power conferences has 4 LONG-TERM sustainable powers, at least:

SEC: Bama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida... just as a start.
ACC: Va Tech, Miami, Clemson, Florida State...
Pac 10: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon (Colorado)...
Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, (Nebraska)...

Sure there may be some rotation in and out over time, but it generally holds true in this era of conference championship games.

And the grand illusion is that any one of those teams couldn't compete with both OU and Texas game-in and game-out. (We lost to Boise State, remember?)

... and I only stopped there listing conferences because, as of this evening, that is the end of the power-conference list.

NOW, our conference is OU and Texas. Make no mistake. A&M is a bloated freak that has never and will never get it done. They are culturally deficient. They might as well admit that they are a pretend military academy.

After that you want to fall back on the rest of the weak sisters?

Really!?!?!?

Go independent first!

This is absolutely sickening. We are ushering back in the Gibbs-to-Schnelly-to-Blake years. When the the Texas recruits and the nation see how we have caved (go ahead... listen to national radio right now... I DARE you), it will have an effect. And with recruits bored/disinterested you have absolutely hamstrung Bob & staff. Which will then lead to more 8-5 years, which will lead to all sorts of blame being passed around... most of which heaped on Bob, which will lead to him leaving, which will lead in the least to short term to mediocrity. And I have no faith that the admin that let this happened will find the next "right guy".

This is a sh*t sandwich, and I pity some of you that you are scoochin' your chair up to the table for a big nasty bite.

Unless we land Notre Dame post haste, or pull CU and NU back in, we just f*cked ourselves.

I have lost faith in both Boren and Castiglione. No I won't give up my season tickets. Yes, I will now scalp the brainwashed.

(This entire post is admitted idiocy and internet hyperbole. That aside, I really believe this is not a good development.)

Edit:

Oh yeah...

:mad:
:P

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 07:43 PM
overall under the big 12, Nebraska and Colorado were just the best 2 in a bad divison, and they were never consistent.

So the North teams are "bad". And I think we can all agree that nobody else except Texas and OU are consistently good in the south - key word CONSISTENTLY.

So what's the problem with saying this is a bad conference? I think that's what some of us are saying - the Big 12 is watered down. At least Nebraska and Colorado had some history and some decent teams recently. It's easy to sit here with the teams we've had lately and say "oh Nebraska sucks". Well, they were a pretty solid team in the recent past, in my opinion. Maybe not last year, but in the previous few years.

All this calling certain teams and conferences "bad" is certainly subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My point, at least, is that we are regressing from what most people agree is the fairest version of a conference (even number of teams, CCG, divisions, etc.) and we haven't done anything to IMPROVE the Big 12.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:44 PM
NM

Captain Cob Mob
my question is how many did you win while playing in the big 12. either school.

I'm simply comparing how good each Nebraska and Colorado were in the big 12. that is all.

Am I missing something here? 1997? You are talking about National Championships, right?

OU Adonis

please explain

Because there was a huge debate if OU should of gotten in over Miami in 2000. Beating the 8th ranked wildcats helped us.

Back then the polls were a whole lot more human driven and appearances mattered a whole lot more. Thats why they eventually took out margin of victory in a lot of calculations, because the human vote would be swayed more by blowouts.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:45 PM
Because there was a huge debate if OU should of gotten in over Miami in 2000. Beating the 8th ranked wildcats helped us.

Back then the polls were a whole lot more human driven and appearances mattered a whole lot more. Thats why they eventually took out margin of victory in a lot of calculations, because the human vote would be swayed more by blowouts.

Check your facts, you are dead wrong. There was a huge debate whether Miami should have gotten in over FSU

Team Perkis
Some of you just obviously don't get this.

No matter what, a conference championship game is important. It makes the conference relevant. It increases the perceived strength of the conference. The SEC and Big XII were considered strong for the longest time partly due to its conference championship. It was one last chance for voters to see the top teams and make a decision around that.

But now, we'll have an off weak when an expanded Big 10, Pac-10, and SEC play. That's horrible for our conference. That's terrible for the perceived strength of the conference.

And on top of that, all of this makes it look like we're tier 2, under Texas. As if we just did whatever accommodated them.

This was a terrible move by the Big XII schools and only hurts the conference down the line.

Texas got its network (which could hurt recruiting in Texas). We got more money. But not more than Texas. We just solidified ourselves as an athletic department.

Sooner Among The Pack
I'm shocked folks are excited about sticking with the Big X as long as Don Beebe is the commish. If the first order of business is to replace him, then I'd be more inclined to support this. The fact that conference leadership let this drama, on par with something in a high school lunch room, play out for the last few weeks shows they are not a strong leader and shouldn't be trusted to lead the conference. Especially when it's very existence has to be put together with a last minute "save".

soonerchris
6/14/2010, 07:46 PM
Could somebody please show me where without the ccg in 2000 we don't play for the ncg? weren't we undefeated? WHERE was nebbish that year? oh that's right, out showing the world their worth in the big 12. guess colorado was doing the same that year. guess my point is either your for us or against us. just be consistent is all i ask

JLEW1818

Bama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida
- best by far, not questions asked.

Va Tech, Miami, Clemson, Florida State
number of national titles between them recently or in the last 20 years?

Pac10, USC
number of national title for other teams?

Big10
Ohio St
what have the others done? Michigan won in the 90s, maybe?

OU-UT alone trump everything but the sec

ouwasp
If Deloss Dodds and C. Boone are happy, that is not a good sign. imo.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:47 PM
So the North teams are "bad". And I think we can all agree that nobody else except Texas and OU are consistently good in the south - key word CONSISTENTLY.

So what's the problem with saying this is a bad conference? I think that's what some of us are saying - the Big 12 is watered down. At least Nebraska and Colorado had some history and some decent teams recently. It's easy to sit here with the teams we've had lately and say "oh Nebraska sucks". Well, they were a pretty solid team in the recent past, in my opinion. Maybe not last year, but in the previous few years.

All this calling certain teams and conferences "bad" is certainly subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My point, at least, is that we are regressing from what most people agree is the fairest version of a conference (even number of teams, CCG, divisions, etc.) and we haven't done anything to IMPROVE the Big 12.

nobody was saying the big 12 was bad in 2008, while Nebraska and Colorado were sucking.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 07:47 PM

I'm extremely curious to find out which 4 teams are better.

Team Perkis
6/14/2010, 07:48 PM
I'm extremely curious to find out which 4 teams are better.

If they continue expanding:

1) SEC
2) Big 10
3) Pac 10
4) Mountain West

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:49 PM
Am I missing something here? 1997? You are talking about National Championships, right?

correct, so 1.

is that a HUGE loss? they are just now coming back to power.

and excuse me i was thinking BCS Titles.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 07:50 PM

1) SEC
2) Big 10
3) Pac 10
4) Mountain West

Perhaps you misunderstand what I was asking. I wanted to know of 4 conferences that were BETTER than the Big XII.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 07:51 PM
nobody was saying the big 12 was bad in 2008, while Nebraska and Colorado were sucking.

Everyone was saying the Big 12 North was bad. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State had good seasons, but are they CONSISTENTLY good?

I will not argue that OU and Texas are juggernauts in college football. They are. And they certainly help keep our conference afloat.

I'm just saying that the Big 12 conference, as it has been renegotiated, is not a very good conference - and that has nothing to do with OU or Texas.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:51 PM

1) SEC
2) Big 10
3) Pac 10
4) Mountain West

they arent going to continue expanding most likely

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:53 PM
i mean lets pretend this became official right now.

Our schedule in this "crappy conference"

Florida State
Air Force
@ Cincinnati
Texas

those 4 wins alone, with a perfect season get u in the national championship.

see??? WE SCHEDULE GOOD OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES, HOLY ****!!!!

PLEASE GIVE ME A NON-SEC SCHOOL THAT CAN MATCH THAT SCHEDULE.

Team Perkis
6/14/2010, 07:55 PM
they arent going to continue expanding most likely

Big 10 doesn't need to, they have a CCG now.

SEC had one.

Pac 10 will try to recruit Utah I think to get theirs.

Mountain West is the shaky one here. If they lose Utah, they're 5 likely, with us 4.

noobalicious
It just looks bad if every year OU or Texas wins the conference, and they don't have to fight for it in a game in December. I don't think anyone would argue Texas was the best team in the conference last year, but they nearly lost to Nebraska (and probably should have with Colty-poo's error). That's the advantage of a CCG.

The perception will be that it's two big shots and a bunch of peons, and that won't serve us well if one of our teams is going up against a team with a similar record from another conference, trying to get a title game berth.

PrideTrombone
I'm going to be curious what all of you who love this development have to say the next time there are 3 undefeated teams, we're one of them, and WE get left out Auburn-style because of the perceived diminishing of our conference. If we are one of 3 undefeated teams, and the other two are from power conferences, we're screwed. End of story.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 07:56 PM
I'm just glad its over and we aren't wondering what conference we will be in 2 years from now. I'm ready to complain about something else now. Not sure what yet....maybe that my g/f has taken over my flatscreen to watch the Batchelorette. Guess i'll keep lurking on message boards for a while.

soonerchris
if we go to the pac 10 the travel sucks and its stupid to have to go so far for other sports. if we go to the sec its better but harder and excuse excuse excuse. now we stay where we are and were still stupid. is my ex-wife running this damn board (:

Team Perkis
i mean lets pretend this became official right now.

Our schedule in this "crappy conference"

Florida State
Air Force
@ Cincinnati
Texas

those 4 wins alone, with a perfect season get u in the national championship.

see??? WE SCHEDULE GOOD OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES, HOLY ****!!!!

PLEASE GIVE ME A NON-SEC SCHOOL THAT CAN MATCH THAT SCHEDULE.

The Texas 10 does not take effect for another 2 years. Lawyered.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:57 PM
but i'm not saying stop at 10 teams, yes the conference championship helps, even if its against garbage. keep expanding, but what we have now aint suicide.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:57 PM
Big 10 doesn't need to, they have a CCG now.

SEC had one.

Pac 10 will try to recruit Utah I think to get theirs.

Mountain West is the shaky one here. If they lose Utah, they're 5 likely, with us 4.

Again, that is an incorrect statement. That observation has to be made year to year.

What if OU, UT, A&M, and Mizzou all win 10 games this year. What if no one in the Big 12 wins 10 games. Its a year to year thing

Team Perkis
6/14/2010, 07:58 PM
Again, that is an incorrect statement. That observation has to be made year to year.

What if OU, UT, A&M, and Mizzou all win 10 games this year. What if no one in the Big 12 wins 10 games. Its a year to year thing

Once the realignment takes place, I'll put a conference with a championship game over one without. No matter what. Most people will.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:58 PM
I'm going to be curious what all of you who love this development have to say the next time there are 3 undefeated teams, we're one of them, and WE get left out Auburn-style because of the perceived diminishing of our conference. If we are one of 3 undefeated teams, and the other two are from power conferences, we're screwed. End of story.

False. If we continue to schedule good non conf games we will have just as good of a chance as ever

Captain Cob Mob
6/14/2010, 07:59 PM
correct, so 1.

is that a HUGE loss? they are just now coming back to power.

and excuse me i was thinking BCS Titles.

It's ok, I was just saying, we've got the same amount of NC's that OU and UT have while in the big 12, while coming out of a fairly rough stretch in our team's history.

I still think this thing is not good for OU. It's some kind of temp fix to something for UT. Be sure to schedule a tough opponent in ooc and OU will be fine in the rankings, but the Big 12 did take a brutal beating about the head and shoulders by the media for the last few months, and I'd like to see OU and/or OSU go to the Pac 10 and see what UT does then.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 08:00 PM
but i'm not saying stop at 10 teams, yes the conference championship helps, even if its against garbage. keep expanding, but what we have now aint suicide.

Exactly. OU and Texas will keep the Big 12 afloat (Kansas in basketball too), but if we really want to get some respect and not wind up like the Big East - we should add a couple more teams.

I would be fine with BYU, they have a big following, history, tradition, and a solid team now. They also aren't bad in basketball.

Anyone else? Perhaps Utah to steal the Pac 10's thunder and keep that rivalry within a conference?

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 08:00 PM
The Texas 10 does not take effect for another 2 years. Lawyered.

that's why i said pretend.

okay lets look at 2012

Notre Dame
Texas

that's a start

I'm sure we add a Air Force or Cincy type team as well. TCU...

as long as we schedule good non-conference

either aggy or sand aggy will be okay

soonerchris
6/14/2010, 08:01 PM
i really could care less what somebody from from nebbish thinks at this point

okiedokie
6/14/2010, 08:02 PM
This is a win for the Sooners. Sorry it doesn't increase your personal entertainment value

or mine.....

I would rather us play exciting games every week or at least every other week.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 08:03 PM
The one thing that really irks me about this entire thing is that the deal was structured to make Texas happy, it was structured to net Texas the most money, and that we made it all possible by saying "we're with you unconditionally Bevo".

Stupid :texan:

boomerborn79
6/14/2010, 08:04 PM
Bull. Sh*t.

I've held off on you for a while, but you are an idiot if you think that is remotely true.

No.

Sure there may be some rotation in and out over time, but it generally holds true in this era of conference championship games.

And the grand illusion is that any one of those teams couldn't compete with both OU and Texas game-in and game-out. (We lost to Boise State, remember?)

... and I only stopped there listing conferences because, as of this evening, that is the end of the power-conference list.

NOW, our conference is OU and Texas. Make no mistake. A&M is a bloated freak that has never and will never get it done. They are culturally deficient. They might as well admit that they are a pretend military academy.

Really!?!?!?

Go independent first!

This is absolutely sickening. We are ushering back in the Gibbs-to-Schnelly-to-Blake years. When the the Texas recruits and the nation see how we have caved (go ahead... listen to national radio right now... I DARE you), it will have an effect. And with recruits bored/disinterested you have absolutely hamstrung Bob & staff. Which will then lead to more 8-5 years, which will lead to all sorts of blame being passed around... most of which heaped on Bob, which will lead to him leaving, which will lead in the least to short term to mediocrity. And I have no faith that the admin that let this happened will find the next "right guy".

This is a sh*t sandwich, and I pity some of you that you are scoochin' your chair up to the table for a big nasty bite.
Unless we land Notre Dame post haste, or pull CU and NU back in, we just f*cked ourselves.

I have lost faith in both Boren and Castiglione. No I won't give up my season tickets. Yes, I will now scalp the brainwashed.

(This entire post is admitted idiocy and internet hyperbole. That aside, I really believe this is not a good development.)

Edit:

Oh yeah...

this is were you went too far. We still have monster schedules with primetime games over the next 8 years, your right we are not the power conference anymore. It's not going to hurt recruiting, were still OU, and now with the new tv deal we will be on tv all the time so we will be fine. Plus if castiglione, delose and beebe can go out and get a new tv deal in the midst of the whole conference being over, and talk a&m out of the SEC and double the money for all schools then who knows what they can do.. LIke Beebe or not he did something I thought was impossible.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:06 PM
or mine.....

I would rather us play exciting games every week or at least every other week.

Indiana, minnesota, miss st, Purdue, Illinois, south carolina, kentucky, vandy, etc... there are bad programs in every conference

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 08:07 PM
False. If we continue to schedule good non conf games we will have just as good of a chance as ever

Yeah, cause the voters ALWAYS do a great job of remembering the entire season and not just focusing on the present week.... :rolleyes:

boomerborn79
6/14/2010, 08:09 PM

WHAT IF were ranked #1 throughout the season and get in over an SEC team? WHAT IF

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:09 PM
Geez

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 08:10 PM
2008 is a prime example of remembering the entire season.

3 way tie.

OU played 2 cofenerce champions in non-conference.

soonerchris
6/14/2010, 08:10 PM
this is becoming pure humor!!!

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:11 PM
2008 is a prime example of remembering the entire season.

3 way tie.

OU played 2 cofenerce champions in non-conference.

His statement was yet another example of someone talking out their azz

tulsaoilerfan
6/14/2010, 08:13 PM

Uh, weren't we already #1 in the BCS BEFORE we played KSU for a second time? That game did absolutely nothing for OU because it was a rematch; OU had everything to lose and nothing to gain from it

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:14 PM
Adonis is getting owned in these threads, lol

tulsaoilerfan
6/14/2010, 08:16 PM
This thread gave me a headache; why don't u let it all play out before u start the bitching, moaning, and pissing about it? Geez people

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:17 PM
Thats what I am thinking, everyone is making assumptions and statements without seeing how any of it plays out.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 08:17 PM
This is a nightmare scenario. We've consigned ourselves to a slow death because the athletic department is too greedy/incompetent/cowardly.

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 08:18 PM
Nebraska has .5 titles in the history of the big XII--in fact that season led to the formation of the BCS

All who proclaim the huskers are "back" forget one little problem--no offense whatsoever. Most games last year had baseball scores

soonerchris
6/14/2010, 08:19 PM
not only do we have head coaches when we lose or have multiple injuries now we have a.d.'s and conference chairmen. holy carp we're blessed!!

Eielson
6/14/2010, 08:19 PM
I understand that the MWC has some pretty good teams at the top. Utah, TCU, BSU, and BYU are nice, but could they possibly be ranked above the Big XII with teams like UNLV, Wyoming, San Diego State, New Mexico, and Colorado State? That's ridiculous.

Pac-10 took just as much of a hit with USC's punishment as we did with the loss of Nebraska/Colorado. They have nobody that can compete with OU/Texas.

Saying that the Big 10 is better than the Big 12 is somewhat understandable, but I still don't agree. Nebraska was nowhere near the level of OU or Texas. We expected Nebraska to close the gap, but it was just that...expectations. They never got close. Missouri has been a much better team over the last 5 or 6 teams.

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 08:25 PM
People really forgot how the direction of the polls were going. We were ranked #1 like in october. We were losing AP votes to Miami (who were receiving #1 votes) until we played in the CCG. Maybe we would of gone anyway without the CCG, but the point I was trying to make was that it sure helped us put away any doubt on who deserved to be there.

They only hurt the weak teams.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 08:30 PM

So basically what we're doing here is comparing the Big 10/Pac 10 to the Big XII/SEC. If you think the only difference between these conferences is the CCG then you are sadly mistaken.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 08:34 PM
People really forgot how the direction of the polls were going. We were ranked #1 like in october. We were losing AP votes to Miami (who were receiving #1 votes) until we played in the CCG. Maybe we would of gone anyway without the CCG, but the point I was trying to make was that it sure helped us put away any doubt on who deserved to be there.

They only hurt the weak teams.

OU wouldn't have been passed over for a one loss rematch of Miami and FSU.

This argument is so flawed. OU is 1 for 4 in NC games. The Big XII championship game is hurting more than it is helping. On the other side of things, USC is dominant in their bowl games.

Spray
6/14/2010, 08:35 PM
The perception nationally is that the Big XII is now weaker by having lost NU/CU- whether they were consistently winning conference championships is irrelevant- they formed a strong part of the core that has to be considered when evaluating a conference's strength TOP TO BOTTOM.

The perception nationally is also that the Big 10, Pac 10, and MWC are all taking proactive, aggressive steps to increase the level of competition in their conferences. Whether or not Colorado or Nebraska begin immediately competing for championships in their new conferences is irrelevant. Those conferences are now perceived to be stronger- and that will be in voters minds when they fill out their polls each week... to the benefit of whoever the strongest team in that conference at that time happens to be.

And in the grand beauty pageant world of college football- PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Sorry, but no matter who they replace NU/CU with (if they even do), the conference is fighting a losing "perceived strength" battle.

And this is only looking at this through the narrow lens of football- obviously only a small factor in the reasoning for this incorrect decision (in my very humble opinion).

Personally, and for very selfish reasons regarding how many road trips I would be able to make, I was hoping for a move to the SEC.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 08:35 PM
People really forgot how the direction of the polls were going. We were ranked #1 like in october. We were losing AP votes to Miami (who were receiving #1 votes) until we played in the CCG. .

NO. WE. WERENT!

The debate was between miami and fsu, both teams had 1 loss, we were undefeated. We were in either way. You really need to do some research before posting

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling we may have OU/TX the last week of the season to make up for not being shown on the last weekend. That has really hurt the PAC 10 in the past and that's why they changed it. We'll have to do the same thing too.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 08:45 PM
The perception nationally is also that the Big 10, Pac 10, and MWC are all taking proactive, aggressive steps to increase the level of competition in their conferences.

MWC added Boise State, but does it really matter? They were so far below the Big XII before this ever happened.

The Pac-10 added Colorado. I'm honestly not sure that is a step forward. It may well be a step backward, and it improves Big XII football

Big 10 added Nebraska. Big deal. They just added another team with no offense.

All that really happened was the Big XII lost a bad, and an upper-middle team. The true loss with Nebraska and Colorado was the history. Over the last few years Nebraska has been about 5, and Colorado was probably a double-digit team. With Art Briles at Baylor, I don't know that I would put anybody except Iowa State below Colorado.

That was overall a good post on the perception thing, but I don't think the perception would be right. In the end, an undefeated Oklahoma or Texas is still headed for the NC game. Just look at who Texas beat this year.

Indy Sooner
6/14/2010, 08:56 PM
great deal

Agreed...like the Big 10 and Pac 10 have done for years and avoided the potential upset of their best team in a made-for-TV conference title game.

Wait-- the Big 10/11 and Pac 10 now have (or will soon have in the Pac 10's case) 12 teams and are seemingly going to a CCG.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 08:57 PM
Agreed...like the Big 10 and Pac 10 have done for years and avoided the potential upset of their best team in a made-for-TV conference title game.

Wait-- the Big 10/11 and Pac 10 now have (or will soon have in the Pac 10's case) 12 teams and are seemingly going to a CCG.

Not having a CCG never really helped Pac-10. USC always found an average-at-best conference team to lose to.

Spray
6/14/2010, 09:08 PM
MWC added Boise State, but does it really matter? They were so far below the Big XII before this ever happened.

The Pac-10 added Colorado. I'm honestly not sure that is a step forward. It may well be a step backward, and it improves Big XII football

Big 10 added Nebraska. Big deal. They just added another team with no offense.

All that really happened was the Big XII lost a bad, and an upper-middle team. The true loss with Nebraska and Colorado was the history. Over the last few years Nebraska has been about 5, and Colorado was probably a double-digit team. With Art Briles at Baylor, I don't know that I would put anybody except Iowa State below Colorado.

That was overall a good post on the perception thing, but I don't think the perception would be right. In the end, an undefeated Oklahoma or Texas is still headed for the NC game. Just look at who Texas beat this year.

I think you have to extend your thinking beyond the past 5 years on this one. We shouldn't underestimate the loss of NU & CU. We've lost in their places in the last 3 years, both upsets- that's characteristic of a strong conference top to bottom- you can lose any given Saturday, particularly on the road. Yes, it will still be tough on the road in the new conference, but Ames and Manhattan aren't Boulder and Lincoln.

I do agree that the MWC is still not as strong as the new Big XII (X, whatever), but they are viewed as moving forward, we are viewed as moving backward. This isn't a static situation- if our conference stands pat and moves forward with ten teams, it is imperative we win a football national championship in the next two years, or at least place a team in the title game. Otherwise, we face an eroding national reputation and have our hands forced in 4-5 years.

I just don't think the current situation makes for long term viability as a conference, particularly because the dominoes probably haven't finished falling. The Pac 10 will add another team, and with the Big 10 now move to a CCG, and continue to improve the perceived strengths of their conferences. And that will put an end to the OU-UT winner expecting an automatic ticket to the title game if they finish with one loss (undefeated would depend on if there were only 2 undefeateds nationally- pure individual program prestige could carry the day there).

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 09:25 PM
i prefer adding 2 more teams.

but don't care if we stay at 10
We HAVE to add two more teams...if not, we are going end up just like the Big 10 irrelevant because we finish our season and we do NOT have a CCG!!

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 09:26 PM
I think we got the same TV deal as before, just more money.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 09:35 PM
On the Oklahoman site, it was just stated that OSU had their Board of Regents make the decision to stay in the Big 12. OU canceled their Board of Regents meeting as it was unnecessary.

Does this mean that Hargis cannot make any decision without the Board of Regents? Or did they have to consult with Boone Pickens?

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, let's rename it SWC v2.0

We've added no additional SWC schools. Or have I missed something?

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:07 PM
So why don't we just fill our schedule with creampuffs then, Pollyanna? And as long as I'm buying season tickets every year, I reserve the right to bitch about sticking around in a ****ty, dying conference.

because we now miss out on either nebraska or colorado every other seson, our schedule now becomes weak?

brilliant!

we haven't played a big regular season game against either of those schools in 8 years.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:16 PM
Bull. Sh*t.

No.

Really!?!?!?

Go independent first!

Edit:

Oh yeah...

lol at the notion of calling Colorado a "LONG-TERM sustainable power"!

Wisconsin? Va Tech? I guess college football started in the mid 90s?

Clemson? Tell me who has the better record over the past 20 years, them or KSU?

agoo758
6/14/2010, 10:44 PM
I agree. We were number 1 with a bullet going into that game. The only thing that game stood to do was hurt us if we lost.

Or maybe it helped our confidence and momentum to get a solid win against a good K-state team after struggling in their last three games against ATM Tech and Diet Oklahoma?

Dio
6/14/2010, 10:46 PM
Nothing to see here

Dio
6/14/2010, 10:56 PM
because we now miss out on either nebraska or colorado every other seson, our schedule now becomes weak?

brilliant!

we haven't played a big regular season game against either of those schools in 8 years.

listen, you were the one touting how great it was that we could feast on a yearly schedule of ISU, KSU and Baylor. IIRC, Nebraska beat us last year, so yeah, Id say or schedule got easier without them. Also, the national perception of our conference is diminished, which in turn diminishes the reputation of the teams in that conference, including us. Also also, there is a perception here and nationally that we caved to *. Look at the stories below the ugly burnt orange stain on this website: http://www.sportingnews.com/

do you see a texas-centric theme there? Everything is about what a great deal this is for *

And...nice how you said "regular season" to discount the CCG a few years ago

You can relax now, Boren and Joe C. put off all that nasty change old sticks-in-the-mud like you fear. For a few years, maybe...

Dio
6/14/2010, 10:57 PM
here, either

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:14 PM
do you see a texas-centric theme there? Everything is about what a great deal this is for *

Here goes:

The Big 12 persuades/entices Texas to stay and save the league. Does that put a stop to wholesale expansion of the major college conferences? Matt Hayes and Dave Curtis go head to head on that issue. Hayes | Curtis

News: Texas helps pull Big 12 back from the brink

Curtis: Longhorns the big winners in Monday's deal

TSB: Big 12 worth saving beacuse [sic] Texas owns it

http://mysite.verizon.net/lewfoo/MiscellaneousImages/Halloween/PumpkinBarf.jpg

GreenSooner
6/14/2010, 11:17 PM
One other angle on all this: the non-emergence of the SuperConferences is bad for college football. In all likelihood, major reallignment into SuperConferences would have forced a playoff system of some sort (most of it would have taken place within the SuperConferences, then four teams would have played for an actual national championship). Now we're stuck with the BCS, which sucked before, sucks now, and will suck in the future.

And within the BCS, the Big X(II)--without the Bugeaters, CU, and a CCG--is weakened. We can argue about how much weakened. But it's certainly weakened.

This is easily my least favorite possible outcome of all this craziness.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 11:21 PM
I think the money that these networks are making with the Big 10 network and eventually the PAC 10 network will eventually lead to more money and eventually more teams because of that money. The Big X will have to keep on trying to re up it's contract to even be even with the top conferences money.

Salt City Sooner
6/14/2010, 11:22 PM
The AP poll, the week of the 2000 CCG vs. KSU:

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=854

The AP poll, on the Monday after beating KSU for the second time:

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=855

Guess it's a good thing we played that CCG. I don't know if we'd have made it in without those 3 votes. It was pretty dang close. :D

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 12:18 AM
The AP poll, the week of the 2000 CCG vs. KSU:

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=854

The AP poll, on the Monday after beating KSU for the second time:

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=855

Guess it's a good thing we played that CCG. I don't know if we'd have made it in without those 3 votes. It was pretty dang close. :D

Thank-you for doing the research! I've never liked the CCG and thought it has a much higher odds of hurting than helping. The 2000 CCG was a close game and it's often tougher to beat a team a 2nd time. Losing would kill us while winning didnt buy us anything. KSU would have been in the title game if they didn't blow a lead against aTm ('98?). I'm not sure, but Texas may have spoiled the Huskers title chances in that upset while CU may have done the same to Texas. We went in spite of losing the '03 CCG which triggered a change in the BCS formula to make that less likely to happen again. In '08, the tie breaker BCS poll was the difference and all we managed to do in the CCG was lose DM for the title game. In '07 winning the CCG against #1 Mizzou didn't help us get picked over LSU and the other 2 loss teams.

The only year you could say the CCG helped us was in '04. Maybe Auburn jumps us if they play a CCG and we don't. That was the only season I was *hoping* we ended #3 because I expected a dominate win by 'SC. But I have to admit the CCG "helped" us in that situation.

tommieharris91
6/15/2010, 12:33 AM
nm

OUstud
6/15/2010, 01:33 AM
Thank-you for doing the research! I've never liked the CCG and thought it has a much higher odds of hurting than helping. The 2000 CCG was a close game and it's often tougher to beat a team a 2nd time. Losing would kill us while winning didnt buy us anything. KSU would have been in the title game if they didn't blow a lead against aTm ('98?). I'm not sure, but Texas may have spoiled the Huskers title chances in that upset while CU may have done the same to Texas. We went in spite of losing the '03 CCG which triggered a change in the BCS formula to make that less likely to happen again. In '08, the tie breaker BCS poll was the difference and all we managed to do in the CCG was lose DM for the title game. In '07 winning the CCG against #1 Mizzou didn't help us get picked over LSU and the other 2 loss teams.

The only year you could say the CCG helped us was in '04. Maybe Auburn jumps us if they play a CCG and we don't. That was the only season I was *hoping* we ended #3 because I expected a dominate win by 'SC. But I have to admit the CCG "helped" us in that situation.

Yeah I posted something similar in a different thread. Did '97 Nebraska really need to beat the **** out of A&M to prove they were the best team in the conference? How about 2005 Texas?

Herr Scholz
6/15/2010, 01:44 AM
It's good staying partners with you guys. Why let the other conferences disband us? We're strong enough to stand on our own, even with 10 teams. What, are we going to flee like girls like the huskers? F'em.

rawlingsHOH
6/15/2010, 09:40 AM
It's good staying partners with you guys. Why let the other conferences disband us? We're strong enough to stand on our own, even with 10 teams. What, are we going to flee like girls like the huskers? F'em.

I'm firmly convinced the primary reason NU, CU and (potentially) A&M were so interested in leaving had nothing to do with financial "stability" and more to do with their lack of success, compared to 1994, on the football field.

cjames317
6/15/2010, 09:49 AM
Back in SWC days, during football season, there was a weekly newspaper cartoon featuring the SWC mascots. What would that cartoon look like for this situation? The Sooner Schooner hitched to bevo?

Jay C. Upchurch
6/15/2010, 11:23 AM
Nothing wrong with that image as long as it depicted one of the Ruf/Neks in the Schooner cracking the whip over Bevo's behind...

soonerfan69
6/15/2010, 12:30 PM
good deal.

Notre Dame and Memphis would be sweet :D

delhalew
6/15/2010, 12:41 PM
Rest assured national perception will be lack of CCG=weaksauce. In the BCS era national perception is everything.

Sooner in Tampa
6/15/2010, 12:42 PM
Notre Dame and Memphis would be sweet :D
HOLY ****...now that would be EPIC!!!

The domers stiff arm the Big 10 for years and finally end up in the Big XII