PDA

View Full Version : BYU and AF joining us?

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 04:50 PM
I'd rather see us poach the zona schools, but this would be interesting...

Looks like Big12 will be back to 12. BYU and Air Force will be invited to replace NU and CU by Wed. Texas/Okla schools are all on board.

http://twitter.com/1049TheHorn

KingWKB
6/14/2010, 04:52 PM
The zona schools don't want to be poached. And if this is true, which I highly doubt... F.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 04:52 PM
I still don't see how in the hell this is supposed to end up better than joining a different league. Sure, Texas benefits, at the expense of the rest of us. This is ****ing lame.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 04:53 PM
I don't really get Air Force

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 04:53 PM
I doubt BYU or Air Force would accept an invite. Maybe the guaranteed money will do it. I hope so.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 04:55 PM
I don't really get Air Force

Small but strong national following. Similar to BYU but on a smaller scale.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 04:56 PM
Small but strong national following. Similar to BYU but on a smaller scale.

Notice how you keep saying "small." That's not a good thing.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 04:57 PM
I doubt BYU or Air Force would accept an invite. Maybe the guaranteed money will do it. I hope so.Really? I think it would be a no brainer for them money wise.

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 04:57 PM
I could deal with this--we have many scores to settle with the Mormons going back to the sewage plant in Provo

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 04:59 PM
Sure, Texas benefits, at the expense of the rest of us.Big deal if * benefits, we do as well with the additional TV revenue. That's about the only thing that changes for us really.

Sooner5030
We need to add non-texas schools. this is a good idea.

rawlingsHOH
Really? I think it would be a no brainer for them money wise.

They may balk at the instability along with the competitive jump up.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 05:00 PM
Really? I think it would be a no brainer for them money wise.

Well, yeah, for THEM it's a great move financially. For us and the conference as a whole? Not so much.

sooneron

heh

SoonerMom2
Was just in Denver last week and saw more AFA bumperstrips than CU or CSU. Stopped at the Academy before returning to Norman -- it would be an awesome trip if you like the mountains and tradition of an academy. We would also get fans from around the world as our military active and retired follow the Academy. Our game this years with the AFA could be the first of many. Think we need to realign the conference and quit making us play the same five schools every year.

PrideTrombone
Big deal if * benefits, we do as well with the additional TV revenue.

Additional TV revenue that could be maximized if we were in a different conference altogether. A conference, for example, that would create its own network rather than saying "yeah, all you guys can just make your own networks!" knowing that only Texas has the population base to make that work.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:01 PM
Well, yeah, for THEM it's a great move financially. For us and the conference as a whole? Not so much.How so?

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/14/2010, 05:02 PM

that's what she said

sooneron
6/14/2010, 05:03 PM
BYU, I get, but AFA is just feel good at this point. We need someone that has good athletics all the way around.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:04 PM
A conference, for example, that would create its own network rather than saying "yeah, all you guys can just make your own networks!" knowing that only Texas has the population base to make that work.You make the assumption that it would be different if we joined another conference for us. I doubt it would be at this point.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 05:04 PM
I wonder how much this deal really is if we add 2 more teams that's 35 million more per team right? At least on average. My question is why did this type of deal not happen 2-3 weeks ago?

oumartin
6/14/2010, 05:06 PM
this is about as ghey as that nickzep dude that used to post here

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 05:06 PM
You make the assumption that it would be different if we joined another conference for us. I doubt it would be at this point.

Under the Pac-16 plan, the conference was going to start its own network, thereby keeping Texas from having HornTV or whatever.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/14/2010, 05:09 PM
How so?

The way I see it, it won't be a great move for the Big 12 because it doesn't really improve a television market or recruiting footprint. Those are two of the big keys to expansion and gaining new teams.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:09 PM
Under the Pac-16 plan, the conference was going to start its own network, thereby keeping Texas from having HornTV or whatever.No, under the rumor of the plan. Texas would never have agreed to that, and everyone knows it. Reason #1 it didn't end up happening, and Nebbish took their ball and ran away.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:11 PM
The way I see it, it won't be a great move for the Big 12 because it doesn't really improve a television market or recruiting footprint. Those are two of the big keys to expansion and gaining new teams.I agree, that's why if the Big-12 is going to go on the offensive now, they need to hit up Arizona and Arizona State instead.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 05:12 PM
BYU and AFA fans are more loyal then CU fans are

even CSU fans are more loyal.

Adding BYU legitimizes them and takes up to SLC market.

AFA should atleast draw a passing interest from well, Air Force vets. Might even provide additional exposure overseas in the Armed Forces network (not sure though, I never served and have no idea how the determine what games they will broadcast).

Yeah, that's a far bigger win for their programs then ours, but they're two of the best mid majors. Adding someone like TCU would do nothing.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 05:13 PM
No, under the rumor of the plan. Texas would never have agreed to that, and everyone knows it. Reason #1 it didn't end up happening, and Nebbish took their ball and ran away.

Agreed on that. And without bringing most of the Big 12 South, the Pac-16 plan does start to get kind of sketchy. In that case, I'd endorse going to the SEC with A&M rather than let Texas continue to dictate these events.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:15 PM
Agreed on that. And without bringing most of the Big 12 South, the Pac-16 plan does start to get kind of sketchy. In that case, I'd endorse going to the SEC with A&M rather than let Texas continue to dictate these events.
I think the SEC would have been a GREAT fit for OU.

Love to know exactly what kept A&M in-line. Me thinks it was more political than anything else.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 05:17 PM
I think the SEC would have been a GREAT fit for OU.

Love to know exactly what kept A&M in-line. Me thinks it was more political than anything else.

See, I'd have preferred the Pac-16, but I'd be ok with the SEC as well. What I'm not ok with is just getting in line behind Texas when all they're doing is setting up an unstable conference as a cash grab until they see an opportunity they like better.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:19 PM
Haha, someone hacked the Horn's twitter account. It's bogus.

104.9 The Horn DID NOT report that Air Force and BYU would be two new Big12 teams.

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 05:20 PM
Does AFA really want to try and move up to a BCS league? Army and Navy seem pretty content not to make a move up BCS food chain. Would the extra money make much a difference to AFA?

SoonerEMT
6/14/2010, 05:20 PM
BYU and AFA fans are more loyal then CU fans are

even CSU fans are more loyal.

Adding BYU legitimizes them and takes up to SLC market.

AFA should atleast draw a passing interest from well, Air Force vets. Might even provide additional exposure overseas in the Armed Forces network (not sure though, I never served and have no idea how the determine what games they will broadcast).

Yeah, that's a far bigger win for their programs then ours, but they're two of the best mid majors. Adding someone like TCU would do nothing.

A large number of your enlisted men don't care how well the academy does so I don't think adding AF is a big boost... They tend to root for their own teams from growing up, etc...

As I read in another board, if your conference has one of the service academies in it, it is not a major conference...

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 05:21 PM
See, I'd have preferred the Pac-16, but I'd be ok with the SEC as well. What I'm not ok with is just getting in line behind Texas when all they're doing is setting up an unstable conference as a cash grab until they see an opportunity they like better.But what's better, really??

They lose power in any other situation, and probably lose revenue.

And in this situation we both have a real easy route to the BCS.

The PAC-10 is basically worthless at the end of the day anyways.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 05:22 PM
Haha, someone hacked the Horn's twitter account. It's bogus.

Good.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/14/2010, 05:23 PM
I agree, that's why if the Big-12 is going to go on the offensive now, they need to hit up Arizona and Arizona State instead.

I really doubt we could poach them out of the deals now where they get more money. I'd love to see it because of the overall athletics, not just football, they bring to the table. KU/AZ is a fun bball matchup.

What about the "rumors" last week about bringing Utah in? Wouldn't they be the best add out of the mid majors mentioned?

badger
6/14/2010, 05:25 PM
Maybe it's just the fact that I don't know many Mormons, but while I know many Catholics that have never set foot at Notre Dame, I don't know many Mormons that haven't set foot on BYU's campus. Is it just me, or is BYU like an educational mecca?

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 05:26 PM
James Hale heard last night it was Memphis and Louisville. He believes that the Big 12 will go back to the Big 12.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe it's just the fact that I don't know many Mormons, but while I know many Catholics that have never set foot at Notre Dame, I don't know many Mormons that haven't set foot on BYU's campus. Is it just me, or is BYU like an educational mecca?

For most Mormons, going to BYU is even cheaper than going to an in-state school.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 05:30 PM
I would like L-Ville and BYU.

Memphis wouldn't be bad because they have a billionaire that would give 10 mil to a conference that will take them.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I imagine that 10 million will dry up pretty quickly once Memphis gets in a conference.

bluedogok
6/14/2010, 05:38 PM
Under the Pac-16 plan, the conference was going to start its own network, thereby keeping Texas from having HornTV or whatever.
They have had some resemblance of one, although it is an "on demand" channel on Time Warner Austin. It might be on some of the others around the area, since I do not have TWC (for TV), I wouldn't know.

BEVOD Longhorn Sports On Demand! (http://www.timewarnercable.com/texas/learn/programming/local/bevod.html)

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I imagine that 10 million will dry up pretty quickly once Memphis gets in a conference.

True but it would be 10 mil less to pay them if they add BYU too. But yeah it looks like an expansion isn't in the cards right now.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 05:41 PM
Louisville and Memphis being added would make the Big 12 a basketball power conference being combined with Kansas. For football, where most of the money is, its.....meh. BYU/Utah and Louisville would be ok I guess.

The funny thing would be if we poached BYU or Utah from the Mountain West, Boise St. would be pissed, lol. They just joined that conference for added legitimacy in the BCS. Us taking one of their best teams hurts Boise in the long run.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 05:42 PM
Twitter reporting from PAC 10 that Texas has turned down their offer.

swardboy
6/14/2010, 05:44 PM
I wish LSU and Arkansas were pickable because it makes sense geographically, and it would certainly make up for what we've lost....but no way.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2010, 05:47 PM
NU and CU are looking smarter by the minute.

TXBOOMER
6/14/2010, 05:47 PM
There are not enough tv's that give a f about either of those schools to make up for nebbish. F that idea.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 05:49 PM
Neither school is being asked -- someone hacked the horns twitter account. Agreement is near according to Dallas Morning News plus Texas has turned down PAC 10.

TXBOOMER
6/14/2010, 05:52 PM
I don't get how losing Nebraska and CO all of the sudden allows the Big 12 to be able to get more money.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 05:54 PM
I don't get how losing Nebraska and CO all of the sudden allows the Big 12 to be able to get more money.

THIS! ^^^

That's what I was wondering.

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 05:55 PM

b/c the contract is like 5 years old and up for re-negotiation. The appreciation over the last ~5 years divided by 10 exceeds the value of the old BIG12 divided by 12.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 05:58 PM
It sounds like things can quickly fall apart if that is really the TV deal. That looks real iffy.

SoonerLB
6/14/2010, 06:02 PM
NU and CU are looking smarter by the minute.

THIS! /\

It's beyond me how anyone thinks adding 2nd rate programs will make a conference better. Adding any of the choices being tossed around here (other than AZ and AZ State if that were possible) would downgrade the Big 12 in the grand scheme of things.

Bail off this sinking ship and let Capt. Beebe go down with it, and join the new Pac 16 and be part of the new number one power conference!

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 06:06 PM
CU and UNL do not look any smarter. They will actually pay more to join conferences that pay them less then the new BIG12.

CU has always wanted to go and UNL has to try and make itself elsewhere b/c they'll never compete with OU & UT.

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 06:11 PM
CU and UNL do not look any smarter. They will actually pay more to join conferences that pay them less then the new BIG12.

CU has always wanted to go and UNL has to try and make itself elsewhere b/c they'll never compete with OU & UT.

You don't think the other conference won't redo their TV deals in the near future?

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 06:12 PM
You don't think the other conference won't redo their TV deals in the near future?

The PAC12 will very soon but the BIG10 is stuck for like 12 more years.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2010, 06:14 PM

It's all perspective because this is why they look smarter to me. I think NU will do well in the big10ish and the geography is not bad. The big10 TV network is in place.

CU has to rebuild regardless (football and hoops) and as you say, they've wanted to go Pac10 for sometime. They were opportunistic to get it done.

BoomerJ
6/14/2010, 06:16 PM
The question is if we replace the two outgoing teams, as we should, who will strengthen the conference. The money and TV deals are great, but what about competition. Memphis would add to basketball competition, but having lived in TN, I've always considered it the armpit of TN. Memphis nor BYU do little to help the geographical argument. I can't see Arky or LSU leaving the SEC. Both Arizona schools are bracing to get a better deal. So that means which Mid-major would provide the best additions? BYU?, Utah? (probably going to the Pac 10 if we don't), didn't Boise St just make a change? Colorado St.? Perhaps Friends University of Central Kansas.

If we can't make it better, why bother with staying.

badger
6/14/2010, 06:20 PM
Twitter reporting from PAC 10 that Texas has turned down their offer.

Why do they think the Bevo Network is such a good idea?!
http://i46.tinypic.com/6sastt.jpg

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 06:27 PM

You don't think the Big Ten was smart enough to stick some language in their about redoing the deal in case of expansion?

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 06:29 PM
You don't think the Big Ten was smart enough to stick some language in their about redoing the deal in case of expansion?

You can get out of any of them if you're willing to pay the price. The BIG12 might have sold it's soul to give FSN the second and third pick (after ABC) for the next 18 years.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 10:01 PM

The figures I saw on ESPN.com indicate the Big Ten's current TV deal is worth about four times the Big 12's current deal. Do you think a new Big 12 without Nebraska and Colorado can do more than four times better than their current deal?

IronHorseSooner
6/14/2010, 10:28 PM
Count me as one of the people who think that adding USAFA and BYU would be a great idea.

My ex was Mormon, and those folks are LOYAL! Also, remember that the Mormon Church is the wealthiest church in America, and they have some big-time donors. They are about comparable to CU in historical football success (one Heisman and one MNC a piece), and have also been more relevant lately than CU. You just don't bring in the SLC market, but they have pockets all over the west. Furthermore, they won't be going head-to-head with the current Big XII powers in recruiting, as they don't have a whole lot of non-Mormons on that team. As well, it looks like Utah will likely be the 12th PAC-11 school, as now that all other options are off of the table for the PAC-11.

With USAFA, you also get a large, loyal fan base. They are more loyal than you think, and would fit into the Big XII a lot more than you would think. They are the most successful of the three academies, so it's not like adding West Point or Annapolis. There are a lot of USAFA grads in the Big XII region, and would help keep some of the Denver market. They could have a great rivalry going with A&M. Like BYU, they won't go head-to-head with the powers that be in the Big XII in recruiting, as their recruiting is based on future military leadership. However, I would disagree with the point earlier about having a service academy in your conference and not making it a big-time league. Again, USAFA is a little different.

We would lose the historical power of NU, but we could gain new markets, and two diverse and nationwide fan bases. If that happened, and Utah moved to make a PAC-12, look for a 7-team MWC and an 8-team WAC combine to renew the old WAC.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 12:33 AM
My ex was Mormon, and those folks are LOYAL!

Did I really just read this? ;)

IronHorseSooner
6/15/2010, 12:57 AM
Did I really just read this? ;)

I meant for the FB teams. That is pretty funny if read out of context. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/15/2010, 01:16 AM
I agree, that's why if the Big-12 is going to go on the offensive now, they need to hit up Arizona and Arizona State instead.AZ and ASU both have elitist attitudes about the flatlanders.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/15/2010, 01:17 AM
Agreed on that. And without bringing most of the Big 12 South, the Pac-16 plan does start to get kind of sketchy. In that case, I'd endorse going to the SEC with A&M rather than let Texas continue to dictate these events.I believe I would favor that, too.

King Barry's Back
6/15/2010, 02:55 AM
I doubt BYU or Air Force would accept an invite. Maybe the guaranteed money will do it. I hope so.

[sorry, i posted this w/o reading the whole thread. still a fast breaking story though.]

Guaranteed money will do lots of amazing things.

But this raises a question.

Right now we are supposed to expect something like $20mn per school, or let's just say $200mn for the ten current "Big XII" members.

Assuming the "Big XII" adds another big TV draw, the size of the pie should grow, allowing all the schools to continue raking in the bucks.

However, I don't believe Air Force, and probably not BYU, are going to generate that kind of money.

The only way I can envision a bigger catastrophe is if we bring in lame teams that contribute less to the pie than they take away.