PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Big 12 will not be saved....

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 10:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 said Monday.

One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.

Beebe's last-ditch plan included an emotional plea about preserving rivalries and maintaining the best welfare of the student-athlete, one source said.

Texas A&M is now most likely to join the SEC, a source within the Big 12 said. This move, in the wake of Colorado and Nebraska's departure, would further diminish the chance of Beebe's plan succeeding, one source said.

Texas' decision is expected to come no later than Tuesday. One source familiar with Texas' plans suggested a hearing on Wednesday at the Texas House of Representatives is "a nonfactor."

MyT Oklahoma
6/14/2010, 10:13 AM
I just saw that one myself a few minutes ago.

So like is anyone else feeling the same way I am in that I can't wait for the 2010 season to start so we can kick the snot (so to speak) out of anyone and everyone who crosses our path?

I am in such a foul mood right now. Missouri.. dead. Colorado.. dead. Nebraska.. dead. Texas A & M.. dead.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:15 AM
Joe Schad sturggles.

sooner518
6/14/2010, 10:21 AM
Chip Brown seems to be saying the opposite.... that Texas WILL commit to a 10 member Big 12.... please tell me this is NOT true. I think this is the worst of all the options for us. The Big 12 is dead.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, Texas will commit to a 10 member Big 12, but A&M is gone. So that's 9. Sorry, Beebeebee, you need 10 teams to live.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:29 AM
It would be a horrible decision to stick with the Big 12 with Bebee promising Texas the moon. A 10-team Big 12 would get us nowhwere.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/14/2010, 10:30 AM
Chip Brown seems to be saying the opposite.... that Texas WILL commit to a 10 member Big 12.... please tell me this is NOT true. I think this is the worst of all the options for us. The Big 12 is dead.

Why??? This whole thing is about money and a 10 member Big 12 would actually bring in LESS... Let's just move on to the mega Pac-16 and just get this thing over with.

PrideTrombone
6/14/2010, 10:32 AM
Yup... if Texas wants a 10-team conference where they get all the power, then A&M and we need to tell them to STFU and we can go to the SEC. My preference is still for the Pac-16, but our second choice needs to be SEC, not a depleted Big 12.

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 10:36 AM
TUCK Fexas!!! They just a conference where they can push everybody around. They will will not be able to do it in the Pac $ or Big $$...and they damn sure can't do it in the $EC!

It too late for the the shortwhorns now...they are not going to be the big bad a$$ that dictates everthing

NEVERMORE

Soonez
6/14/2010, 10:37 AM
Yup... if Texas wants a 10-team conference where they get all the power, then A&M and we need to tell them to STFU for we can go to the SEC. My preference is still for the Pac-16, but our second choice needs to be SEC, not a depleted Big 12.

^^^^^^^^^
this!

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 10:41 AM

I think this is posturing by Texas. They say they're committed to staying now that the word is out that A&M is leaving. Now Texas can say that they tried to salvage the league but that they can't stay now that Aggie is gone.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:44 AM
I think this is posturing by Texas. They say they're committed to staying now that the word is out that A&M is leaving. Now Texas can say that they tried to salvage the league but that they can't stay now that Aggie is gone.

Exactly! Blame it on someone else -- they have that down pat!

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 10:45 AM
Exactly! Blame it on someone else -- they have that down pat!
The bugeaters are good at it too!!

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:48 AM
The bugeaters are good at it too!!

Nebraska who hates Texas has the same mantra -- not our fault -- you are correct. That display by Osborne was sickening as he pointed fingers at everyone who was still in the conference for breaking it up.

MrJimBeam
6/14/2010, 10:54 AM
I am in such a foul mood right now. Missouri.. dead. Colorado.. dead. Nebraska.. dead. Texas A & M.. dead.

......NEIDERMEYER......

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:57 AM
New information at the ESPN link -- watch the video -- this is a done deal as Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming. Schad just got off the phone with four schools to confirm the Bebee plan is dead. He has been toild by four schools that they are headed to the PAC 10.

Also saying that A&M will be going to the SEC as they have the votes.

Very interesting report that was updated a short time ago at http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 11:00 AM
This smells like posturing from Texas to me. A&M will go to the SEC and they know it so they will say, well we were going to keep it if there was 10 teams.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 11:03 AM
This smells like posturing from Texas to me. A&M will go to the SEC and they know it so they will say, well we were going to keep it if there was 10 teams.

Yeah. Hmm, wonder where I've heard that concept before?

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 11:03 AM
It was pure posturing as according to ESPN, Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming to their conference.

Have a lot of respect for Pres Boren and Joe Castigleone for handling all of this with pure class. They knew when to keep their mouths shut.

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 11:04 AM
damnit man!!! someone just pull the the goddamn plug!!!

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 11:06 AM
Joe Schad sturggles.

This. Have we learned nothing from listening to Joe Schad? Dude is an absolute tool. I swear I think people purposefully feed him disinformation just so he can look like the asshat he is.

That being said I hope they are right because the BigX proposal sucks donkey wang.

OULenexaman
6/14/2010, 11:11 AM
It was pure posturing as according to ESPN, Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming to their conference.

Have a lot of respect for Pres Boren and Joe Castigleone for handling all of this with pure class. They knew when to keep their mouths shut.

I agree.....now if they would just quitely slide into the SEC instead of the Pansy 10:mad: :mad: :mad: they look like kings!! ;)

goingoneight
6/14/2010, 11:17 AM
I'm tired of reading what an unnamed source has to say. Wake me when something happens and the powers that be own up to it.

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 11:22 AM
Now ESPN is reporting that the Big12 will be saved.

Here's a tip, do not listen to anything ESPN is reporting in this deal. Joe Schad is an absolute joke and they are consistently at least an hour behind on all of this.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:25 AM

Chip Brown is reporting that texas wants to save the Big 12.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 11:44 AM
Chip Brown is reporting that texas wants to save the Big 12.

And Chip Brown is getting all his stuff from what Texas wants to tell people. The problem is A&M is going to the SEC. Right after that becomes official, Texas will announce they will go to the PAC 10.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:46 AM
says who, Joe Schad?

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 11:47 AM
And Chip Brown is getting all his stuff from what Texas wants to tell people. The problem is A&M is going to the SEC. Right after that becomes official, Texas will announce they will go to the PAC 10.

actually the Aggie's version of chip brown, Billy Liucci, is now reporting that A&M will commit to the Big12.

Collier11
"Texas stands to make between $20 mil and $25 mil per yr under a proposed new TV pkg presented by Dan Beebe, plus UT's own network."

Leroy Lizard

And every year we will have to endure this if the Big XII remains. "It's the spring of 2011 and Texas is once again discussing potential moves to the Pac-10, throwing the conference into disarray..."

The Big XII must die now!

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:48 AM

Has the SEC formally offered ATM?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:48 AM
Im sure there must be a level of commitment from each school Leroy, they will be locked in by a new TV deal most likely

Saying the Big 12 "must die now" makes no sense at all

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:01 PM
Im sure there must be a level of commitment from each school Leroy, they will be locked in by a new TV deal most likely

Saying the Big 12 "must die now" makes no sense at all

Whatever it is you are banking on didn't pan out this year, did it?

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 12:01 PM
NYTimes is now claiming that Big12's AD is saying the musical chairs are over and the Big12 is saved.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:02 PM
Whatever it is you are banking on didn't pan out this year, did it?

Please explain your point to this post, im intrigued?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:14 PM
"Big 12 AD confirms to the NY Times that Texas is on cusp of committing to Big 12: "The musical chairs will stop."

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 12:17 PM
How in the blue hell is the Big XII saved? THERE ARE ONLY 10 TEAMS!!!!!

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:18 PM
And the Big 10 had 11 for years, the number of teams doesnt really matter much

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 12:19 PM
And the Big 10 had 11 for years, the number of teams doesnt really matter much
:mad: I'm gonna be sick

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:22 PM
I dont get all the people who dont want the Big 12 to survive? It is easier year n and out to win a natl title and conf title, we will get more money, we will have more power, whats the issue?

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 12:23 PM
If Joe C and Boren allow this deal with "saving" the Big 12 to happen, they're ****ing idiots.

JohnnyMack
I dont get all the people who dont want the Big 12 to survive? It is easier year n and out to win a natl title and conf title, we will get more money, we will have more power, whats the issue?

Because we would be selling out to Texas.

sooner_born_1960
As I posted somewhere, as long as we get 12 teams, I'm ok.

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2010, 12:24 PM
Well, there is that.

TMcGee86
absofreakinglutely.

They seriously cannot be this stupid. Texas will be fine in four years when this thing blows up.

If the Pac10 moves on to other teams and the SEC does the same, we are going to be left holding our dongs in our hand.

Surely, surely, surely, Joe C. and Boren cannot be this stupid.

Leroy Lizard
Please explain your point to this post, im intrigued?

You say that if UT decides to stay that they will have to commit long-term. How did that long-term commitment work out for us this year?

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 12:25 PM
The name should be changed to Texas 10...because we are simply becoming a shortwhorn biatch!! Why are we so willing to give it all up to sexaT and let them determine EVERYTHING?

How much national appeal will the Big XII lite garner? Not much!!

What power will we have? All the power seems to reside in Austin :mad:

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:26 PM

We need to look beyond that. The Big XII is not a bunch of old women worried about how they look to their friends.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:26 PM

No we wouldnt, actually it would be the exact opposite. We would be in cahoots with texas. Again, if this was a bad deal for OU then Joe and Dave wont do it. They are smart guys, lets wait it out and see what happens, it appears that everything is probably on the table still

You say that if UT decides to stay that they will have to commit long-term. How did that long-term commitment work out for us this year?

It is up in 1 year and it is a really bad deal

SoonerLB
6/14/2010, 12:28 PM
How a salvaged Big 12 could ever get a TV deal that would be close to what a potential Pac 16 deal would result in is beyond me. And it is pretty hard to believe that Dan Beebe is capable of being the savior of a conference he couldn't seem to manage in the first place.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 12:28 PM
No we wouldnt, actually it would be the exact opposite. We would be in cahoots with texas. Again, if this was a bad deal for OU then Joe and Dave wont do it. They are smart guys, lets wait it out and see what happens, it appears that everything is probably on the table still

Collie, your blind faith is admirable, but if Joe and Dave agree to hand over the keys to the car of the new Big 12 lite they are most certainly not smart guys.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:30 PM
This is whats being reported now

ChipBrownOB An announcement that a remodeled Big 12 will survive with a new television deal could be announced as early as Monday, sources say.

ChipBrownOB All 10 schools remaining in the Big 12 are are at the table working on a deal that would save the league, sources tell Orangebloods.com.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 12:30 PM
The Big 12 has no way to fund itself. Maybe OU and Texas get funded but the rest of the conference will end up getting screwed. You watch another team will leave in about 3 years then another, before we know it we'll have to go to another conference. Look at how the SWC fell apart. It wasn't just Arkansas leaving. The Big 12 didn't start till 5 years after Arkansas joined the SEC.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:32 PM
How a salvaged Big 12 could ever get a TV deal that would be close to what a potential Pac 16 deal would result in is beyond me. And it is pretty hard to believe that Dan Beebe is capable of being the savior of a conference he couldn't seem to manage in the first place.

Not sure, thats just what ive heard

Collie, your blind faith is admirable, but if Joe and Dave agree to hand over the keys to the car of the new Big 12 lite they are most certainly not smart guys.

Not blind faith, I just think that if you cant trust the people who lead your school/athletic department in this decision, two people who have done quite well for OU then who can you trust?

TUSooner
6/14/2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, Texas will commit to a 10 member Big 12, but A&M is gone. So that's 9. Sorry, Beebeebee, you need 10 teams to live.

But "The Big 9" is available as sounds like a pretty cool name !!
:O

Most pathetic inducer of graons and eye-rolling: An argument by a big-time atheletic conference administrator for "protecting the welfare of the student athlete." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 12:37 PM
If Joe C and Boren allow this deal with "saving" the Big 12 to happen, they're ****ing idiots.

they are SO in favor of it, it isn't even funny!

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:38 PM

Even with a contract UT can still jump ship. They just pay the out clause. Even if that is unpalatable, they can still bluff.

A remodeled Big XII puts UT in the driver's seat and places the other teams in the conference in a precarious position. If we don't move over to the Pac-X now, the opportunity may not be there next year. Then what?

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 12:40 PM
The report says all 10 teams have committed to the Big 12. Now we can turn to who they are going to add because we cannot get a TV deal with 10 teams that is worth anything.

BeBee needs to go first IMHO. Anyone else find it ironic that MO is pledging a long term committment now when they started all of this.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 12:42 PM

You're cute. You're wrong. But you're cute.

This is nothing more than Dan Beebe pulling his pants down, bending over and letting Texas **** him and the rest of the conference. We may get more money out of this deal, but this is the definition of selling out. Now OU won't leave both Texas and Oklahoma State behind and go to the SEC and it's clear that Dodds was just using Larry Scott to get the TV deal he wanted that he couldn't get from the PAC.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 12:42 PM
Maybe Texas decided they would rather be a big fish in the pond with OU instead of being a little fish in the pond with the rest of the PAC 10 which USC and UCLA pretty much control. Might have been a deal breaker when the newly formed PAC? was not going to hold a championship game and have the east of the PAC? go to the Fiesta Bowl.

swardboy
6/14/2010, 12:43 PM
I thought everybody was prepared to vote Missouri out for being dipwhips with the Big 10 thingy? What happened to that?

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 12:44 PM
This is nothing more than Dan Beebe pulling his pants down, bending over and letting Texas **** him and the rest of the conference.

Yeah, pretty much.

TUSooner
6/14/2010, 12:45 PM
King Arthur meets Sir Big XII

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2453/montypythonblackknight.jpg

We'll bite your bloody head off!

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:45 PM
You're cute. You're wrong. But you're cute.

This is nothing more than Dan Beebe pulling his pants down, bending over and letting Texas **** him and the rest of the conference. We may get more money out of this deal, but this is the definition of selling out. Now OU won't leave both Texas and Oklahoma State behind and go to the SEC and it's clear that Dodds was just using Larry Scott to get the TV deal he wanted that he couldn't get from the PAC.

If this wasnt a good deal for OU, I doubt it would be accepted

swardboy
6/14/2010, 12:47 PM
I'll bet we're royally pissing off the Pac-10...which is kinda funny. No, wait, I don't want to burn that bridge yet..

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 12:49 PM
Beebe’s plan, helped along with Fox Sports television, promises future payouts of perhaps $17 million per year for Big 12 schools, which would more than double the current TV income for many of the Big 12 members. The setup also would allow individual schools to establish their own networks, which is very appealing to Texas and Oklahoma.

Read more: http://newsok.com/reports-texas-ready-to-stay-in-the-big-12/article/3468488?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0qqnjFBx Z

Looks like David Boren is looking at a TV deal for Oklahoma so Oklahoma and Texas are joined together in looking for the same thing -- a separate TV deal. Fox News Channel is the one who gave Bebee the numbers of $17M. Looks like Boren and Castigleone may have been underestimated.

I say invite Memphis and get their $10M a year! :) If this is all about money, then why not?

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 12:50 PM
If this wasnt a good deal for OU, I doubt it would be accepted

You think this is a good deal? Seriously? How so?

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 12:50 PM
Via sportscenter just now, who is basically regurgitating the orangebloods report:

Texas and A&M would get the bulk of the revenue from the TV contract (uneven shares), Texas would haul in $20-25 MIL a year, and most of the other schools would get $14-17 MIL.

Sounds like we're getting screwed. If I was Joe C I'd flip Texas the bird and then call up the SEC.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:51 PM
You think this is a good deal? Seriously? How so?

Beebe’s plan, helped along with Fox Sports television, promises future payouts of perhaps $17 million per year for Big 12 schools, which would more than double the current TV income for many of the Big 12 members. The setup also would allow individual schools to establish their own networks, which is very appealing to Texas and Oklahoma.

Read more: http://newsok.com/reports-texas-ready-to-stay-in-the-big-12/article/3468488?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0qqnjFBx Z

Looks like David Boren is looking at a TV deal for Oklahoma so Oklahoma and Texas are joined together in looking for the same thing -- a separate TV deal. Fox News Channel is the one who gave Bebee the numbers of $17M. Looks like Boren and Castigleone may have been underestimated.

I say invite Memphis and get their $10M a year! :) If this is all about money, then why not?

Joe C and Dave are making sure we get a big piece of the pie. Maybe I trust them and you dont but that is why I believe we wont be screwed

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 12:52 PM
That report doesn't sound right -- don't see the other schools standing for that and if that is the case, this whole deal will break apart. I say call up the SEC as well if the report is true.

OUinFLA
6/14/2010, 12:52 PM
Bring on Memphis, BYU, and have a CCG every year in Jerryworld.

Jerry needs the money to build his new city......Jerryallas.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 12:54 PM
Joe C and Dave are making sure we get a big piece of the pie. Maybe I trust them and you dont but that is why I believe we wont be screwed

I am with you -- trust them both and if the report is correct that UT and A&M are getting millions more than OU, don't expect Boren to take that lying down. That report will break up the conference IMHO! Can you see telling the Board of Regents that we are getting 4-5 million less than Texas schools?

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 12:55 PM
Good thing the Oklahoma news outlets have insiders who can break some news about what's going on in the OU camp...

...oh, wait.

Dio
6/14/2010, 01:01 PM
Via sportscenter just now, who is basically regurgitating the orangebloods report:

Texas and A&M would get the bulk of the revenue from the TV contract (uneven shares), Texas would haul in $20-25 MIL a year, and most of the other schools would get $14-17 MIL.

Sounds like we're getting screwed. If I was Joe C I'd flip Texas the bird and then call up the SEC.

We get $17M a year while A&M gets $25M? F*** that!

47straight
6/14/2010, 01:02 PM

Yes

meoveryouxinfinity
6/14/2010, 01:06 PM
Good thing the Oklahoma news outlets have insiders who can break some news about what's going on in the OU camp...

...oh, wait.

Well I was at a family reunion this weekend and learned that Mike Holder was flying to pick up *someone* (presumably Joe C) and then they were flying to Dallas.

And that's legit, but has no real news in it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 01:06 PM

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 01:08 PM
I'll bet we're royally pissing off the Pac-10...which is kinda funny. No, wait, I don't want to burn that bridge yet..

Well if we take this revised Big 12 deal we are screwed. We should get together with osu and petition either the PAC or the SEC or somebody. Seriously.

It's clear Joe C and Boren have brought a knife to a gun fight.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 01:08 PM
Oklahoma and Texas will be fine in this league

The rest of the teams will be really struggling to survive in this new league. I don't see how they can get the money that they are saying. It doesn't make sense and OSU was decent the last couple years in football they could make money there. The worst part of this is a TV network. I don't see any other school except Texas getting one unless you see an aliance of OU/OSU/A&M/Tx with a TV network. And I don't see that.

The money number doesn't actually work because if they had been able to get that much money with 12 teams how can it work with 10 when a powerhouse is one of those that leaves?

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 01:18 PM
That report doesn't sound right -- don't see the other schools standing for that and if that is the case, this whole deal will break apart.

I don't think the other schools have a choice. If Texas, aTm, and OU choose to keep a deal like this, the other schools don't appear to have another place to go... at least for now.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 01:28 PM

The rest of the teams will be really struggling to survive in this new league. I don't see how they can get the money that they are saying. It doesn't make sense and OSU was decent the last couple years in football they could make money there. The worst part of this is a TV network. I don't see any other school except Texas getting one unless you see an aliance of OU/OSU/A&M/Tx with a TV network. And I don't see that.

The money number doesn't actually work because if they had been able to get that much money with 12 teams how can it work with 10 when a powerhouse is one of those that leaves?

10/x > 12/x if x remains constant. Pretty simple math, Nick.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 01:34 PM

Yeah but they're talking about more than doubling what Texas & Aggie get and everyone else is doubled.

No way two teams leaving increases the share that much.

I think Beebe must have gotten a loan from the devil to make this whole thing work.

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2010, 01:36 PM
So, if x = 2, then 10/2 > 12/2? Did you mean x/10 > x/12?

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2010, 01:37 PM
Maybe it's not so simple after all.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 01:39 PM
Here is the Bebee plan from Orangebloods:

Here's what Beebe has provided to the five Big 12 South schools who have been targeted by the Pac-10, including Texas A&M, who has been in deep conversation about joining the SEC, according to sources.

Associated Press

Dan Beebe's plan says the Big 12-Lite can get to $17 mil/school in its next TV deal in 2011.
--Beebe has secured information that enough money could be inked in its next TV negotiation (in 2011) that revenues per school would jump from between $7 million and $10 million in the Big 12 currently to $17 million beginning in 2012, which is what the SEC pays out.

--The 10 remaining Big 12 schools would divide up the more than $20 million in buyout penalties that will have to be paid by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the league early.

--Individal institutions would be allowed to pursue their own networks, which has been a goal of Texas. If the Longhorns went to the Pac-10, they would have to forgo their own distribution platforms, including a network, because the Pac-16 would seek to have a conference network in which all inventory is shared.

(Consultants have put Texas' ability to generate revenue from its own network at between $3 million and $5 million after a start-up window of about three years.)

--The Big 12 would proceed with 10 teams. Everyone would play everyone in football, providing a nine-game conference schedule.

--The conference championship game would be dumped in the short-term (because the NCAA mandates 12 schools for a football title game).

MY NOTE: Expect the Big 12 to be actively pursuing two more teams to put it back at 12 or Bebee is an incompetent fool. Nothing here about Texas and A&M getting millions more.

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 01:41 PM
--The 10 remaining Big 12 schools would divide up the more than $20 million in buyout penalties that will have to be paid by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the league early.

This is very temporary benifit. I don't think you use that as part of the decision making process.

yankee
6/14/2010, 01:42 PM
i'm physically ill right now.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 01:44 PM
This is very temporary benifit. I don't think you use that as part of the decision making process.

I thought that part was short sited. The real problem seems to be the Texas Legislature has told UT and A&M to slow down and don't make a decision before they meet on Wednesday. Once again politicians getting involved in Texas which is how we ended up with Baylor. Talking about Baylor long time rivalries with Texas and Texas A&M -- Baylor fans are delusional!

BIGC
6/14/2010, 01:51 PM
MY NOTE: Expect the Big 12 to be actively pursuing two more teams to put it back at 12 or Bebee is an incompetent fool. Nothing here about Texas and A&M getting millions more.

The Orangeblood report actually includes OU as getting up to $20 MM not just Texas and aTm.

According to sources, the deal will mean more money for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, who all stand receive $20 million from the new deal. The other seven schools in the Big 12 would make between $14 million and $17 million, but would nearly double what they currently receive in TV revenue (roughly $7 million to $9 million).

As far as adding other schools as long as it is NOT Houston and/or UTEP (or any other Texas Schools) giving them 6 of the Big 12 schools in the conference. That would be unacceptable in my book.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 01:57 PM
Unless a TV network came through and gave them a ton of money, I don't see how you can basically double everyone's salary in the Big X.

yankee
6/14/2010, 02:00 PM
Unless a TV network came through and gave them a ton of money, I don't see how you can basically double everyone's salary in the Big X.

i don't know how the money works out either in beebe's plan. something's not right.

OUinFLA
6/14/2010, 02:02 PM

Obamanomics - pay attention to the nightly national news.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 02:02 PM
i don't know how the money works out either in beebe's plan. something's not right.

Again unless a TV network like Fox said here's 200 million a year or something like that this doesn't make sense. It looks like a bunch of fake numbers to me.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 02:04 PM
I think the university presidents are all playing Beebe like the moron he is. In the end, Beebe will look like an incompetent fool and the university presidents will all look like they tried to save the league.

Soonez
6/14/2010, 02:04 PM
Yes. Very odd. This just doesn't compute. Time to move on IMO.

WWW.Twitter.com/chipbrownieob

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 02:21 PM
So, if x = 2, then 10/2 > 12/2? Did you mean x/10 > x/12?

Geez, you're worse than my high school algebra teacher. Yes, that's what I meant.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 03:46 PM
If we stay we must demand $20 million or bolt. This is great news if OU can truly double their income. I still would prefer the SEC or PAC -10 but this isn't a horrible deal.

What happens if Beebe can't get it done????

TUSooner
6/14/2010, 04:00 PM
There's nothing like those reliable confoidential inside sources, eh?

people = suckers

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 04:22 PM

Please explain how Nebraska, whom I assume you are talking about (giggle), is a "powerhouse" when they haven't earned the conference BCS game money in nearly a decade?

Scott D
6/14/2010, 04:32 PM
I don't see Fox Sports offering up $170M a year to this 10 team conference....hell, even Tom Hicks thinks that's a bad investment.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 04:37 PM
Nothing is coming out of Dallas meetings right now which says that something is going on and this is not a done deal. Twitter feeds are backing down it a done deal and Chip Brown who was supposed on the REF with James Hale next is not there and they are trying to track him down.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 04:44 PM
I don't see Fox Sports offering up $170M a year to this 10 team conference....hell, even Tom Hicks thinks that's a bad investment.

^^ This!

How can we lose 2 teams and a conference championship game and make more money?

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time swallowing that. Why wouldn't Bebee throw out crazy numbers to keep the conference together? If he can't deliver then the conference dissolves either way. This is a no lose for Bebee and a potential disaster for OU & Texas.

I'm sorry, but I would take the PAC-16 deal today. That conference has a chance to make that kind of revenue with all of those big markets.

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 04:50 PM
^^ This!

How can we lose 2 teams and a conference championship game and make more money?

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time swallowing that. Why wouldn't Bebee throw out crazy numbers to keep the conference together? If he can't deliver then the conference dissolves either way. This is a no lose for Bebee and a potential disaster for OU & Texas.

I'm sorry, but I would take the PAC-16 deal today. That conference has a chance to make that kind of revenue with all of those big markets.

Well the thought is that the Network gave us a big deal knowing that even over-paying for a Little 12 is better than the ginormous pay out that a Pac16 would have demanded.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 04:55 PM
Well the thought is that the Network gave us a big deal knowing that even over-paying for a Little 12 is better than the ginormous pay out that a Pac16 would have demanded.

So the network deal is a done deal? There is a 5 year contract or whatever? I would want to see something in stone that OU gets $20 million for at least 5 years.

I wouldn't trust Bebee's word. I think Bebee has a strong interest to get a deal done to save his job.

How do we make a legit title run when playing Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas etc.? This just made the road to a title game almost too easy. OU beats Texas they are in the title game, right?

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, Beebe's doing anything he can think of right now because his job is on the line. I'm pretty sure our university presidents are just using him for political maneuvering.

You know how coaches talk to other schools to get their school to give them a big fat contract bonus? That's exactly what we're doing. "Gee, I don't know, Pac-10... we might be able to do pretty well by staying over here in the Big 12. Unless you think you can do better..."

Collier11
6/14/2010, 05:58 PM
Its official, Big 12 staying together

sooner59
6/14/2010, 06:00 PM
Did we just become slightly better than the ACC?

Squigglyline
6/14/2010, 06:01 PM
Its official, Big 12 staying together

yep, just announced here in Dallas....

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:01 PM
are you really giving Nebraska and Colorado that much credit? Nebraska has had one good team in several years and Colorado hasnt been good for a while

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2010, 06:02 PM

Uhh, I think that's a bad investment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to have a angel's blood transfusion. Later, I'll dine on unicorn steak.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 06:24 PM
I cringe at the prospect of making frequent trips to Ames, Columbia, Manhattan, and Lawrence. No cool road trips.

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 06:25 PM
No cool road trips

Take a summer vacation then......this is about OU and Football.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:27 PM
Try Tenn, LSU, Florida St, ND, etc... its like some of you got your nipples all hard over the idea of expansion and arent thinking realistic.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:29 PM
I also think that OU has stayed so quiet so we dont burn any bridges, leave it open for the future

Scott D
6/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Did we just become slightly better than Conference USA?

fixed.

Scott D
6/14/2010, 06:30 PM
Big Texas conference dies within the 5 year contract.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:34 PM
fixed.

We lost Nebraska, we might as well have lost Florida st of the last 10 years...we didnt lose much

Scott D
6/14/2010, 06:37 PM
We lost Nebraska, we might as well have lost Florida st of the last 10 years...we didnt lose much

Losing Nebraska and Colorado didn't make the conference better, potentially adding Air Force and insert random team here doesn't make the conference better. Capitulating to the posturing Texas played with the Big-10 and Pac-10 doesn't make things better.

I can understand why you and jlew like the move, it keeps relative stability with what is comfortably familiar. Personally, I think Nebraska had the right idea, and OU would be better served down the road by leaving Texas in the rear view mirror.

sooner59
6/14/2010, 06:42 PM
I don't mind staying in the Big 12 really. I just like rotating playing teams in the north. Colorado and Nebraska trips were at least interesting. When the most interesting road trip north now is Columbia. Its a big "meh" as a traveling fan. And those trips will now be more frequent. Double "meh". However I am intrigued by the thought of a SoonerSports Network or something. Or even a Big 12 (10) Network. And yeah bigger contracts and more money is good I guess. What does that mean for the average fan? I don't know. Anybody have an idea what they might do with it....other than pocket it and keep raising tuition?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:42 PM
and thats why I think OU didnt burn any bridges but overall, losing Nebraska wasnt a crushing blow.

Scott D
6/14/2010, 06:43 PM
Oh, and Missouri is clearly run by the biggest tools. Congrats Missouri, you went from making $1 in this conference to making a whopping $1.75...clearly yu iz smurt. :rolleyes:

sooner59
6/14/2010, 06:43 PM
Missouri just came.