PDA

View Full Version : Aggies to SEC...according to Houston Chronicle

TheHumanAlphabet
6/14/2010, 09:08 AM
Houston Chronicle is reporting the Aggie Board of Regents have concluded that the SEC is a better fit for them and they will likely make that determination public in a meeting this week. No link, go google the Houston Chronicle.

Despite the effort to keep the B12 alive, I don't think Aggie will stick around for this one.

What's funny, they think they can compete in the SEC (couldn't do that in the B12) and think they fit SEC. LSU covets games in the Houston area and the TV exposure here. Aggie new big rivals will be Arkie and LSU. They may beat Arkie >50% of the time, but no way they beat LSU with any regularity.

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 09:12 AM
Their new rivals are Vandy and Kentucky.

Mac94
6/14/2010, 09:31 AM
As an Aggie I am weary of the SEC ... but, it does have a certain potential upside. Yes, it is very true we have not done well in the past decade ... we are battling for third best way behind OU and Texas. And now, in this climate, we face a crossroads ... a watered down Big-12(-2) that gives Texas more power, the Pac-10(+), or the SEC.

In the watered down Big-12 and in the Pac-10 our situation remains very similar .... parred and in the shadows of Texas and Oklahoma. Both are really "status quo" options for our programs. Texas solidifies it's revenue advantage, esp if they get their TV network off the ground, and we are stuck with the same dynamic on the field and off in terms of recruiting.

At least the SEC allows us to change the dynamics a bit ... Give us a new selling point, and new way to marker and sell A&M. And, their revenue opportunites are more concrete right now ... we know the baseline of their TV options and we know that given expansion the deal would be reworked and probably made even better. The Pac-10 and Big-12 options are much more "in theory."

As for rivals ... we have two historic rivals in the SEC West right now ... Arkansas and LSU. We've played LSU more times than we have OU and oSu combined. Back when I was at A&M they were our second rival. Plus, we have alo tof off the field historic ties to Alabama from the "Bear" to Gene Stallings to coach Fran. It's not like Nebraska where they're entering a conference with no historic relationships.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 09:38 AM
Both Nebraska and A&M are delusional if they think moving conferences helps them. It will not, and in fact will hurt them badly like it has done to Arky. There is no way either of them will compete with entrenched traditional on the level of Michigan/tOSU or Bama, Tenn, Florida, etc.

Seriously, say goodbye to any chance of a BCS berth, evar.

stoopified
6/14/2010, 09:40 AM
Buh by

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/14/2010, 09:41 AM
I've heard numerous reports out of here(I am a Sooner stuck in Aggieland) about the SEC. I drove by the administration offices yesterday and my old lady pointed out the 2 limos there and more cars than normal. I spoke with a good friend here and his brother who works in the athletic dept administration and the regents did in fact approve the move to the SEC and he said that the meeting was the informal invitation to join the SEC. A few hours later the Pac 10 officials were here to lobby their case but they were not here very long because the basic idea was that A&M told them thanks but we're still looking at all options.

Mac94
6/14/2010, 09:50 AM
It will not, and in fact will hurt them badly like it has done to Arky. There is no way either of them will compete with entrenched traditional on the level of Michigan/tOSU or Bama, Tenn, Florida, etc.

Seriously, say goodbye to any chance of a BCS berth, evar.

First, Akransas is very happy with the move to the SEC .... their fans love it. Seocnd, in relation to the Hogs ... one thing that hurt them back in the early 1990's was their move cut them off from Texas recruiting. Since we are in Texas that won't happen ... and it will help reopen Louisiana recruiting for us ... we used to recruit that area well. That's not to say I'm predicting A&M being a power or anything ... just that there is a difference between our situation and Arkansas.

Third, as for competing with traditonal powers, let's sub your "Bama, Florida, Tennessee list with USC, Texas, OU and how is this any different that the Pac-10 option? We are not competing for the BCS right now under the status quo and letting Texas solidify their power and revenue even greater helps us how?

The move is risky ... but at least it changes the dynamic some. The old saying is; stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ... but that's what Texas wants us to do .. accept and work within the status quo that is clearly not working for us now. We're already having 4-8 to 6-6 seasons.

1890MilesToNorman
6/14/2010, 09:53 AM
If true the SEC just got a lot slower. :P

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2010, 10:03 AM
The move is risky ... but at least it changes the dynamic some. The old saying is; stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ... but that's what Texas wants us to do .. accept and work within the status quo that is clearly not working for us now. We're already having 4-8 to 6-6 seasons.

Actually, that is insanity, and the phrase is attributed to Einstein. Maybe you were thinking of this one :

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 10:06 AM
We're already having 4-8 to 6-6 seasons.Sure, but its not the conference that did that, it's A&M that did that with some bad coaching and some recruiting misses. All correctable.

You seriously believe that you will get to a BCS berth faster competing against a slate of Florida, Bama, Tenn, LSU vs OU & TX?

Good luck with that.

StanberryWasIn
6/14/2010, 10:08 AM
As an Aggie I am weary of the SEC ... but, it does have a certain potential upside. Yes, it is very true we have not done well in the past decade ... we are battling for third best way behind OU and Texas. And now, in this climate, we face a crossroads ... a watered down Big-12(-2) that gives Texas more power, the Pac-10(+), or the SEC.

2009--5th in the South Division
2008--T5th in the South Division

Not much battling lately.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 10:12 AM
First, Akransas is very happy with the move to the SEC .... their fans love it.Arkincest fans may enjoy it, but its not because they are winning anything. They just like watching their hogs get their asses handed to them on a regular basis for some strange reason.

Mac94
6/14/2010, 10:15 AM
Tuba -

First, at this point, I'd think you all would want us to make this move .... if we go SEC then the Pac-16 thing becomes reality and I think that's good for OU. Better revenue and really opens the door to Cali recruiting which Bob and company have been trying, with some success, to do. Do you all really want to hang around a waekend Big-12 with Texas having their own network and even more power?

Second, as for a BCS berth, we'd be competing, at this point with LSU and Alabama, the Western powers .... just like we'd be competing with OU and Texas in a Pac-10 east thing. If we made it we'd have to deal with a FLorida or Georiga ... just like we'd have to deal with USC or UCLa, or Oregon. Both paths are very very tough ... the SEC just gives us a different tack on recruiting and a way to sell our school and program.

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2010, 10:26 AM
Here are my thoughts as of this moment. The Big 12 is done, sticking around just because it's momentarily better for Texas is the completely wrong thing to do.

aTm to the SEC is fine for them and us. One, it is the official last nail in the Big 12 coffin. Two, it would make the new Pac-16 a little less state of Texas heavy, which is a good thing. Three, I think Mac94's reasoning is right on in regards to aTm trying something new, it can't be any worse than what they have had the last few years.

If the Aggies go SEC and Texas still wants to stay in the Big 12, OU goes to the SEC and Texas is left on its own. Maybe they go to the SEC as well, which would make a ridiculous conference of pure insanity. Or they could go to the Big 10, which would be their worst possible move. In that scenario, aTm and OU completely take over Texas recruiting.

The only thing that I don't like at all about the Pac-16 is the rumored no championship game and the East division being relegated to the Fiesta Bowl, never having a chance at the Rose Bowl, that would be a big slap in the face to all the newcoming members.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 10:29 AM
Do you all really want to hang around a waekend Big-12 with Texas having their own network and even more power?

This whole power thing is over rated IMHO. * is our rival and if we beat them, we are in the BCS. Enough said.

Second, as for a BCS berth, we'd be competing, at this point with LSU and Alabama, the Western powers .... just like we'd be competing with OU and Texas in a Pac-10 east thing. If we made it we'd have to deal with a FLorida or Georiga ... just like we'd have to deal with USC or UCLa, or Oregon. Both paths are very very tough ... the SEC just gives us a different tack on recruiting and a way to sell our school and program.If it was between SEC and PAC-10, then I am all SEC, but my preference is to just stay. A lot easier path to the big game that way IMO.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with Mac here, a&m leaving is better for us. That makes the Pac deal all but done. The worst option for us was staying in the B12 with texass holding all the cards.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 11:07 AM
ESPN reporting that their reporter talked to four schools and Texas has already told the PAC 10 they are coming. A&M to SEC looks to also be a done deal. Most important is that ESPN reported that the Bebee plan as ZERO chance. This is an updated reported after Schad got off the phone with four schools this morning. A side note -- Schad reports that Utah has the edge but the PAC 10 plane left Austin for Kansas City after the Texas visit so maybe Kansas is in play. He talked about Salt Lake City but I don't think he has a clue how close Kansas is to Kansas City.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

IronHorseSooner
6/14/2010, 11:11 AM
What is strange about all of this is that the beneficiary in all of this could be us. First, in the PAC-11, SUC will be behind the curve for obvious reasons in recruiting, thus helping us gain an even stronger foothold in the CAL-NEV area. Second, certain Texas kids might want to go play in the SEC, and now they can stay at home to do it by going to A&M vice *. In this case, OUr two biggest conference rivals, SUC and *, will be at a potential recruiting disadvantage.

Tigeman
6/14/2010, 11:16 AM
Weird b/c I'm watching ESPN right now, and they are saying Texas has stated they've agreed to the outlined plan to keep the Big 12/10 alive with 10 teams. I don't think anyone really knows what's going on totally.

badger
6/14/2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think anyone really knows what's going on totally.

What's going on (totally!):

1- A&M desires SEC.

2- Texas desires lots of money, wherever it comes from.

3- Tech desires equal treatment with either A&M or Texas.

4- Baylor, ISU, KU, KSU and Mizz hope for status quo because nothing better is coming their way.

5- OU and OSU don't give a crap, because they will be involved in the best deal, wherever that may be.

:D

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 11:24 AM
IF...BIG IF...OU goes to the SEC...as far as football goes, that is STUPID competition and UF, OU, Bama, and LSU are REALLY at a disavantage for the BCS Championship game. First: you have a pretty tough division to win (doesn't matter how you break it up), Second: You are going to have a tough *** CCG to win....The Pac $ will have UT and some also rans to deal with...and the Big $$ will have theoSu, Penn St, and eventually ND to deal with....Hands Down the SEC is a much tougher road to hoe.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2010, 11:45 AM
IF...BIG IF...OU goes to the SEC...as far as football goes, that is STUPID competition and UF, OU, Bama, and LSU are REALLY at a disavantage for the BCS Championship game. First: you have a pretty tough division to win (doesn't matter how you break it up), Second: You are going to have a tough *** CCG to win....The Pac $ will have UT and some also rans to deal with...and the Big $$ will have theoSu, Penn St, and eventually ND to deal with....Hands Down the SEC is a much tougher road to hoe.

^^This. It's easy to do some chest thumping in the offseason and push to get into the toughest conference believing your elite program will dominate. But the reality is that it dilutes your chance of getting to the big dance. The best scenario for CFB is to evenly distribute the elite programs to the various conferences so that the best teams don't get eliminated early in intra-conference bloodbaths. I also think the Pac10 plays better football than the current big12 in the mid-tier teams. This will not be an easy conference to win.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/14/2010, 01:31 PM
Weird b/c I'm watching ESPN right now, and they are saying Texas has stated they've agreed to the outlined plan to keep the Big 12/10 alive with 10 teams. I don't think anyone really knows what's going on totally.

^^^
This. Apparently according to the Chronicle now, Gene Stallings of 'Bammer coaching fame is an Aggie Regent (who knew) and he is inclined to vote to keep the Big 12. He does not want to go to the SEC and would rather stay in the Big 12. Seems some momentum to keep the remaining Big 12 intact and that the upcoming TV package may be more to everyone's liking (my assessment).

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 01:40 PM
^^^
This. Apparently according to the Chronicle now, Gene Stallings of 'Bammer coaching fame is an Aggie Regent (who knew) and he is inclined to vote to keep the Big 12. He does not want to go to the SEC and would rather stay in the Big 12. Seems some momentum to keep the remaining Big 12 intact and that the upcoming TV package may be more to everyone's liking (my assessment).

I think Stallings was one of the Bryant's Junction Boys wasn't he?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/14/2010, 01:46 PM
I believe he was...

VA Sooner
6/14/2010, 05:36 PM
Foolishness.

Funky G
6/14/2010, 07:34 PM
A&M to SEC equals bruising and lots of it.