PDA

View Full Version : Happy E3 week!

badger
6/14/2010, 07:52 AM
The annual Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, which is usually the event where majoring gaming companies announce new technologies, games and consoles, starts today with big evil Microsoft.

I kid, we have an Xbox 360 and so do all of our friends. The Xbox Live and Netflix programs alone make it worth having.

You can read more about E3 here. (http://e3.ign.com/) If they announce anything cool, I'll be sure to report back.

diegosooner
6/14/2010, 09:31 AM
Wish I could attend. Sounds fun.

Stitch Face
6/14/2010, 10:35 AM
Man, Badg, you're a nerd.

BudSooner
6/14/2010, 11:37 AM
I kid, we have an Xbox 360 and so do all of our friends. The Xbox Live and Netflix programs alone make it worth having.

Eh, heh.

PS3 RULZ!

Blue Ray....Check!
FREE ONLINE PLAY....Check!
Internet capability....check!
Better games....Check!
No overpriced accessories....check!
Built in WiFi....check!

My bluetooth earpiece cost me $59, but for the kids WIRED EARPIECE on XBox it was $99, Wireless adapter for the XBox also was $99.

Then don't even get be started on the subscription cards for XBox Live.

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 11:45 AM
Man, Badg, you're a nerd.

See?! I'm not the only one that thinks so.

You should see her around Star Wars...

badger
6/14/2010, 12:35 PM
Quietude, husband. :mad:

We have a 360 (Christmas gift for NP in 2008), PS3 (Christmas gift for NP in 2009), used to have a Wii (Christmas gift for NP in whatever year it debuted), both have DS's and a PSP. So, we will be tuned in for all vidya conferences the next few days.

yermom
6/14/2010, 12:41 PM
the Kinect name seems a lot better than "Natal"

Stitch Face
6/14/2010, 12:55 PM
I have a buddy in BA who used to write for Joystiq and Gamasutra and he went to E3 every year before it downsized. Got all the new stuff for free, too :(

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 01:06 PM
the Kinect name seems a lot better than "Natal"

That's not saying much.

badger
6/14/2010, 01:49 PM
Get this - it sounds like ESPN3.com is coming to Xbox Live, which I hope means that we can watch events with friends from Virginia, North Dakota and Texas with the chat feature.

11:15 — ESPN is coming to Xbox 360, bringing college football and basketball, NBA, MLB, soccer and all that sort of sports thing. The hosts of ESPN Sports Center are on the video screen telling us that we will have access to 3500 live events. The hosts appear live on stage to demo the ESPN feature.

11:18 — That 3500 number is the number of live events that will be aired on the service in the first year of its operation. “Xbox, replay!” he says to the robot dog camera. It jumps back to the beginning of the touchdown play in the football game that’s currently playing.

11:20 — You can play trivia games while you’re watching the game, telling the Xbox the answer using the magic of your voice.

11:21 — All this craziness will be available to Xbox Live Gold subscribers at no additional cost.

Read the entire blog here (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/live-blog-microsofts-e3-2010-press-conference/) for more Xbox news (sorry, nothing else sports-related so far). I would definitely chose this option over PC viewing online.

badger
6/14/2010, 02:17 PM
The other announcement of note appears to be the unveiling of a new Xbox 360 model at the same $299 price:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/67279.jpg

It is shipping this week and they apparently gave one to everyone in attendance at the E3 event (it's open to media members only though, so there were probably only two dozen there... blogists no longer count... haha)

GKeeper316
6/14/2010, 02:20 PM
supposed to get some old republic news this week...

yermom
6/14/2010, 02:23 PM
i want to hear something on Gran Turismo 5 :mad:

SoonerStormchaser
6/14/2010, 03:18 PM
****...I opened this thread and thought it would be an appreciation of my airplane...nope.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 03:18 PM
Eh, heh.

PS3 RULZ!

Blue Ray....Check!
FREE ONLINE PLAY....Check!
Internet capability....check!
Better games....Check!
No overpriced accessories....check!
Built in WiFi....check!

My bluetooth earpiece cost me $59, but for the kids WIRED EARPIECE on XBox it was $99, Wireless adapter for the XBox also was $99.

Then don't even get be started on the subscription cards for XBox Live.

BluRay - Meh
Free Online Play - Doesn't xbox live have free options also?
Internet Capability (assuming you mean Browsing) - so, I tried browsing on my psp, it sucks ***, can't imagine the ps3 is any better.
Better Games - Debateable
Built in WiFi - meh, better to be hard wired to game. (and built into the new 360 is wireless N, so PS3 loses there)

I didn't pay anything for my xbox headsets, they were included.

Xbox runs off my logitech remote control, actually the xbox Harmony was $49 when I bought it. The PS3 requires a seperate bluetooth adaptor.

BudSooner
6/14/2010, 03:53 PM
BluRay - Meh
Internet Capability (assuming you mean Browsing) - so, I tried browsing on my psp, it sucks ***, can't imagine the ps3 is any better.
Built in WiFi - meh, better to be hard wired to game. (and built into the new 360 is wireless N, so PS3 loses there)

Xbox runs off my logitech remote control, actually the xbox Harmony was $49 when I bought it. The PS3 requires a seperate bluetooth adaptor.

Heh, HD DVD WAS so allsome.
No, in my experience XBox live doesnt let you do much free other than game demo downloads.....oh joy.
I can't imagine trying to browse the net on a PSP, then again that is why I do now have a web enabled cell phone either.
The next PS3 is going to be WiFi N also.....so that is a push.

I'm talking about extra headsets, Wires suck when you are trying to play a game. I actually used the Jawbone Bluetooth adapter on the PS3, great sound and look ma!!!! No wires, WIN!

And, for you 3D nuts, when the tv manufacturers bring out the next tv sets that have 3d capability built in......just do the firmware upgrade to get your PS3 to play 3D.

Not that I would use it, to me 3D is just a fad.
Either that or go spend some more cash on a BlueRay player that has the ability.

I still cannot believe you said "meh" to BlueRay.:eek:
I've played Halo on Xbox, it sucks as bad as I thought it did, so do the other versions, I never understood why a game that sucks as bad as it does gets a cult like following. But then again, I don't play WoW either.

Sports games look better and play better at least to me on PS3, shooter games..well some of them look ok on Xbox but not all of them.

BudSooner
6/14/2010, 03:54 PM
i want to hear something on Gran Turismo 5 :mad:

No kidding, i've played the prologue and cannot wait for this thing to come out!

Wiki says sometime before the end of 2010, and there is supposed to be somewhere in the range of 950-1000 cars playable????? :eek: :D
World Raly/Super GT/Nascar are all playable on it, ****! Get this thing out already....it's been in production since February 2005?

It better be good!

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 04:07 PM
See, I'm just not a huge fan of the types of games that get played online anyway.

I dig Halo, but I personally don't feel any need to go online and play against a bunch of foul-mouthed 12 year olds. I'm not a huge FPS fan - I'd rather have some plot. Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are the best I've seen recently. (Still waiting on a Jade Empire sequel, though.)

badger
6/14/2010, 04:16 PM
BluRay - Meh
We have a high def tv connected to the ps triple, but have not really noticed the difference.

No. You also need a paid subscription to access stuff like Netflix and this new ESPN thingie they announced. However, PS3 will be announcing a paid subscription to online gaming as well if they haven't already.

Get a smart phone or a PC. Consoles ain't for innerwebs.

We play the Xbox 360 a lot more because of Live. It's how NP stays connected with Sooners that don't still live in Oklahoma... and there's a lot of you that left after graduation!!

Wifi is overrated. I had a wireless mouse that I tried to PC game with and it caused a lot of TK and deaths for my poor characters due to non-continuous connections. Grr. I connected the wired mouse back in when the battery died and NP wasn't around :P

one complaint - they break easily. I was vacuuming like the housewife that I am one day and sucked in the cord... absolutely no hardiness and quality to that cord. it snapped quickly, leaving a dud set behind that was promptly hidden in the garbage from NP :D

I have both - the best thing about this generation is that you don't need to get up and walk to your console to turn it on - you can use your controller like a TV remote.

BudSooner
6/14/2010, 04:22 PM
We have a high def tv connected to the ps triple, but have not really noticed the difference.Some programs maybe not, the Dark Knight looks amazing on BlueRay, so does Avatar

No. You also need a paid subscription to access stuff like Netflix and this new ESPN thingie they announced. However, PS3 will be announcing a paid subscription to online gaming as well if they haven't already.

Get a smart phone or a PC. Consoles ain't for innerwebs.It's what i'm posting on now, WIN!

We play the Xbox 360 a lot more because of Live. It's how NP stays connected with Sooners that don't still live in Oklahoma... and there's a lot of you that left after graduation!!

Wifi is overrated. I had a wireless mouse that I tried to PC game with and it caused a lot of TK and deaths for my poor characters due to non-continuous connections. Grr. I connected the wired mouse back in when the battery died and NP wasn't around :PGet a better router.

one complaint - they break easily. I was vacuuming like the housewife that I am one day and sucked in the cord... absolutely no hardiness and quality to that cord. it snapped quickly, leaving a dud set behind that was promptly hidden in the garbage from NP :DYep, major bummer.

I have both - the best thing about this generation is that you don't need to get up and walk to your console to turn it on - you can use your controller like a TV remote.Yeah, but you still have to get up off yer arse to put in a different game, how long before we see console changers>:D .

NormanPride
6/14/2010, 04:27 PM
Oh, so THAT's what happened to that set! Well.

And it's a great router. Wireless just isn't as good for bandwidth stuff.

Stitch Face
6/14/2010, 04:50 PM
Finally realized what Soonerfans has been missing. Video game fanboy wars!

badger
6/14/2010, 05:46 PM
Oh, so THAT's what happened to that set! Well.

And it's a great router. Wireless just isn't as good for bandwidth stuff.

He is joking. I let him know about the headset and I have voluntarily used the crappy replacement one since.

As for vidya fanboy wars on the South Oval, it'd be much more fun than political fanboy wars ;)

BudSooner
6/15/2010, 07:04 AM
He is joking. I let him know about the headset and I have voluntarily used the crappy replacement one since.

As for vidya fanboy wars on the South Oval, it'd be much more fun than political fanboy wars ;)
You and hubby need to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare2 online sometime, I kick major amounts of arse on it.

I played it on easy(yeah, like everyone starts that game on Veteran, lol)then advanced up to Vet.....playing on the highest level is a major BITCH when you get to the oil platform.

And no, I didn't shoot out the blowout preventer either.:D
Running thru the streets and then the rooftops just to get to the chopper was a major pain also, it took me 4 attempts before I figured out where I was supposed to go to.

badger
6/15/2010, 09:12 AM
So I was all like "Hey NP, I wanna watch the E3 conference that I didn't get to see on Xbox Live" and NP is all like "OK."

Turns out our power cord got fried while we were outta state because of all of Oklahoma's crazy storms or something. Boo. Well, looks like I'll be dropping the $30 for another. Boo.

btw, if you're gonna get one of the new Xbox 360 slims, you should definitely see the video at this site (http://video.destructoid.com/#165121) first. It's funny for Xboxers and non-fanboys alike.

badger
6/15/2010, 10:41 AM
Nintenny's conference starts in a half hour. Time to prove all the doubters wrong that they've been complacent with their "it prints money!" DS and Wii systems as the technology gets a little dated next to iPhones, Playstation Move for PS3 and Project Natal/Kinect for the 360.

Ubisoft and E3 also had pressers, but nothing of note. They both had 3D showings, so I think we can safely assume that Fintoodoo will unveil it's 3DS system. Get it? Instead of DS, it's not the 3D-S! lulz.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2010, 11:07 AM
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRDS

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yUWM_8Yl8Zo/0.jpg

badger
6/15/2010, 11:27 AM
Whatev. You jocks play with your smart phones and PCs just as much as everyone else ;)

Nintendo's presser is ongoing. They started off with a very poorly kept secret (3DS) and moved right along to Zelda. If they're starting off with that stuff, then I wonder if this is going to be an incredibly short presser and a big ol' disappointment. Usually big announcements are saved for last :(

BudSooner
6/15/2010, 11:49 AM
So I was all like "Hey NP, I wanna watch the E3 conference that I didn't get to see on Xbox Live" and NP is all like "OK."

Turns out our power cord got fried while we were outta state because of all of Oklahoma's crazy storms or something. Boo. Well, looks like I'll be dropping the $30 for another. Boo.

btw, if you're gonna get one of the new Xbox 360 slims, you should definitely see the video at this site (http://video.destructoid.com/#165121) first. It's funny for Xboxers and non-fanboys alike.
Wow, that video should help sell some consoles and frankly i've not seen anything scratch a disk quite that badly until now.

Maybe a lawn mower?:D

badger
6/15/2010, 12:57 PM
I loved how they commented that it "sounded like a garbage disposal" when the 360 Slim grinded the disc :D

Big N conference notes:

Big highlight: The 3DS.
Why: No glasses! Anyone else sick of wearing those things halfway into the epicly long Avatar movie? It apparently will play 3D movies also, with a few studios already on board. No games on display yet, but their lineup will include Metal Gear Solid. Yay, Hideo!

Big crapfest: Announcing games for 2011.
Why: Because we all know that when they announce games for the next yera, they actually mean 2-3 years from now. Delay delay delay

Other notes: A lot more Mario sports and casual games for the kiddos, waggle Zelda swordplay game (for 2011... 2014 is my prediction!), zzzzzzzz

The only thing of note was 3DS. It sounds like the Wii is just going to continue trying to print money without any innovation or new crap (like ESPN!!!!) to motivate us to replace the Wii we sold to OKLAFAN21 a few years ago.

Seriously though, that Xbox 360 Slim video shocked me. You'd think after several years and a headstart on competition from the same console generation they'd fix that crap by now. It's like an old CD player, except a lot more violent to discs. potential for violent video game puns makes me groan.

BudSooner
6/15/2010, 01:42 PM
I loved how they commented that it "sounded like a garbage disposal" when the 360 Slim grinded the disc :D

Seriously though, that Xbox 360 Slim video shocked me. You'd think after several years and a headstart on competition from the same console generation they'd fix that crap by now. It's like an old CD player, except a lot more violent to discs. potential for violent video game puns makes me groan.

My daughters boyfriend is on his 3rd 360, yep 3rd and I would not own one because of the history those things have.
To date our PS3 has ran beautifully, never had so much as a glitch other than losing the settings for the network but that was human error.

For the money I still believe it is the best system out there when you add up all the things it will do.

I'm just waiting for Gran Turismo5 to come out like Yermom said, that game looks EPIC!

badger
6/15/2010, 01:44 PM
Our PS3 is dormant most of the time. Just really haven't gotten into it yet. We have had no issues with PS3 or 360 (up till the power cord went out due to Oklahoma's crazy weather) to-date.

BudSooner
6/15/2010, 01:48 PM
How did Metal Gear Solid look during the presentation?

badger
6/15/2010, 02:06 PM
How did Metal Gear Solid look during the presentation?

no idea. was just reading a blog. i hope to see the videos of the conferences at home later. most of it is just crap, so i don't feel like watching it live :D

GKeeper316
6/15/2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5wJ3yrVy4

super awesome star wars the old republic cinematic trailer unveiled yesterday at E3...

i got wood.

badger
6/15/2010, 02:26 PM
Oh, and remember how Sony is unveiling an uberly expensive 3D television that you have to use glasses with? You didn't really think they wouldn't tie that into it's Brew-ray savior PS3, did you?

3D games announcements start the Sony E3 conference. read more on the blog I'm following at wired.com here. (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/sony-e3-2010-press-conference/)