PDA

View Full Version : The City of Brotherly Love v. the Boy Scouts

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 06:40 AM
The City of Philadelphia seeks to evict the Boys Scouts from a building that belongs to the city that the Boy Scouts uses rent-free...for nearly 80 years now, because BSA discriminates against homosexuals.

http://www.bsalegal.org/bsa-legal-blawg-200.asp?i=123

Discuss.:pop:

badger
6/14/2010, 07:49 AM
rent-free, but it also sounds like BSA spent a lot of its own money to keep the building maintained and restored through the years... hell, they built it like 80 years ago if I'm reading your link correctly.

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 07:56 AM
rent-free, but it also sounds like BSA spent a lot of its own money to keep the building maintained and restored through the years... hell, they built it like 80 years ago if I'm reading your link correctly.

Yepper. BSA has sunk millions in the joint. And the city wants the Boy Scouts OUT, or at least to start paying rent, because BSA doesn't allow openly homosexual folks to be adult leaders or Scouts.

Lord knows, the BSA has done great good in that community giving Philly boys a chance to become fine young men. Of course, the city can no longer tolerate such rent-free shenanigans in a building it owns because the BSA policy does not comport with the homosexual agenda of inducing society's acceptance of homosexuality as an immutable characteristic akin to race and gender equal in every respect to heterosexuality.

SoonerJack
6/14/2010, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry, homos. But it's crap like this that makes me hate you. I know, "hate" is not a family value, but neither is butt seks.

XingTheRubicon
6/14/2010, 10:21 AM
Can't they start a fag boy scouts? Maybe in the queer boy scouts they can teach little kids how to f*ck up everything they touch through pure selfishness and delusion.

SoonerAtKU
6/14/2010, 10:43 AM
Why shouldn't they pay rent? They're not a church.

They have a constitutional right to oversee their own membership, but there's no constitutional right to free office space.

yermom
6/14/2010, 12:52 PM

They have a constitutional right to oversee their own membership, but there's no constitutional right to free office space.

making them pay rent, how oppressive

i'd rather not have my tax dollars paying for them to rent something, personally

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 01:02 PM

You're right, They have no right to free office space, despite the fact the Boy Scouts have a track record of building good men unparalled by any other non-profit in the US. BSA critics can and do file such lawsuits because the BSA refuses to cave on its principles. And BSA loses some. It's just sad that the "agenda" has set its sights on this fine organization.

yermom
6/14/2010, 01:04 PM
maybe there isn't enough free money to go around and The City of Brotherly Love doesn't want to subsidize a hate mongering religious group anymore ;)

SoonerAtKU
6/14/2010, 01:15 PM
I think that's all this boils down to, in all honesty. By providing rent-free housing to the organization, that's an implicit acceptance of their policies which run counter to the city's policy.

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 04:18 PM
I think that's all this boils down to, in all honesty. By ending rent-free housing for the organization that has met the needs of hundreds of hundreds of thousands of Philadelphia boys over these past 80 years, the city has caved to the legal pressure exerted by a few dozen militant homosexuals.

Fixed it!

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 04:47 PM
I'm sure many other fine organizations like the Red Cross or United Way either own their own buildings or pay rent. Why should the Boy Scouts get special treatment? The simple fact is, governments have to treat every organization the same, or they'll face lawsuits themselves.

For that matter, I'm amazed no one has challenged tax-exempt status of churches yet.

yermom
6/14/2010, 04:48 PM
that would probably pay for a lot of illegals' healthcare

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 05:07 PM
that would probably pay for a lot of illegals' healthcare

That's already covered at the thousands of not-for-profit hospitals that admit them every day and write-off the fees and charges.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 05:12 PM
I'm sure many other fine organizations like the Red Cross or United Way either own their own buildings or pay rent. Why should the Boy Scouts get special treatment? The simple fact is, governments have to treat every organization the same, or they'll face lawsuits themselves.

For that matter, I'm amazed no one has challenged tax-exempt status of churches yet.

The power to tax is the power to destroy. Churches are tax-exempt to keep the government from wiping them out.

Besides, they're non-profits.

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 05:13 PM

The Red Cross has space on every military installation world-wide and pays no rent for said space.

And challenging the tax-exmept status of churches has failed everytime it has been tried. The status is not grounded in the Constitution. It's a creature of state and federal statutes. For now. The good news is, legislators/Congressmen would be cutting their own throat at the ballot box if they authored such a bill and they know it.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 05:13 PM
That's already covered at the thousands of not-for-profit hospitals that admit them every day and write-off the fees and charges.

You mean, have the taxpayers pay for the fees and charges.

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 05:15 PM
You mean, have the taxpayers pay for the fees and charges.

No. Not the taxpayers silly. The religious orders that own the places.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 05:24 PM
No. Not the taxpayers silly. The religious orders that own the places.

Religious hospitals receive federal funding.

It matters not. If $100 is used to heal an illegal alien, then that is $100 that cannot be used for other purposes. Money doesn't grow on trees and is finite in amount.

Stating that hospitals "write off the fees and charges" is a misnomer used by liberals to make it look like the costs just evaporate into thin air. But you can't just write off fees; the fees have to be paid from funding sources.

So you managed to get the Presbyterian Church to cough up $1M to pay for the costs of illegal aliens' health care. Fine. But you're now not going to get that new MRI machine because there is no money left.

SoonerStormchaser
6/14/2010, 05:28 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
We can debate homosexuality and it's moral implications until we're all blue in the face. As for myself, I believe it's a choice and an immoral one. HOWEVER, I will not be beating down the door saying you're going to hell...cause I am not one to cast the first stone...and I am not the one to make that ultimate decision.

That being said...
I believe that positions that are perceived as those of moral authority, such as Scout leaders or clergy...homosexuals have as much place running those as I do running the NAACP or NOW. Some things just aren't meant to happen...it's life. You CAN'T do or be part of everything.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 05:43 PM
I also don't see why a person has to desire the position of scoutmaster so badly that he is willing to put the organization through this ordeal. So the Scouts deny your application. BFD. Go on and do something else with your life. It's their organization and they don't want you to belong.

Okla-homey
6/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Religious hospitals receive federal funding.

It matters not. If $100 is used to heal an illegal alien, then that is $100 that cannot be used for other purposes. Money doesn't grow on trees and is finite in amount.

Stating that hospitals "write off the fees and charges" is a misnomer used by liberals to make it look like the costs just evaporate into thin air. But you can't just write off fees; the fees have to be paid from funding sources.

So you managed to get the Presbyterian Church to cough up $1M to pay for the costs of illegal aliens' health care. Fine. But you're now not going to get that new MRI machine because there is no money left.

Do you go to church? If you do, you should be aware churches take up collections. Weekly. That's where the money ultimately comes from to offset losses arising from charitable work setting the broken leg or removing the appendix of an illegal at a non-for-profit hospital owned by a religious order. And they still manage to get the latest med tech. Check out Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa sometime. The oil-rich Warren family, along with contributions by parishoners in the Tulsa diocese help keep that place on the cutting edge of medical technology -- despite the fact they demonstrate Christian charity by treating the sick irrespective of their citizenship status.

SoonerInKCMO
6/14/2010, 06:34 PM
Boy Scouts are a bunch of tools.

I should know - I was one. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
6/14/2010, 06:41 PM
As for this whole "turning boys into fine young men" nonsense... I learned more useful life lessons while playing soccer than I did while being a Scout. And I never smoked pot while away for soccer tournaments; can't say the same for Scout camping trips. Never got propositioned for the buttsecks while playing soccer; you have to ask about Scout camp?

tommieharris91
6/14/2010, 07:28 PM
As for this whole "turning boys into fine young men" nonsense... I learned more useful life lessons while playing soccer than I did while being a Scout. And I never smoked pot while away for soccer tournaments; can't say the same for Scout camping trips. Never got propositioned for the buttsecks while playing soccer; you have to ask about Scout camp?

This is true for me and football, and I'm an Eagle.

Unlike you though, I turned down the buttsecks. ;)

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:59 PM

So why did you go back for 20 years on those camps?

:D

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 08:11 PM
Do you go to church? If you do, you should be aware churches take up collections. Weekly. That's where the money ultimately comes from to offset losses arising from charitable work setting the broken leg or removing the appendix of an illegal at a non-for-profit hospital owned by a religious order. And they still manage to get the latest med tech. Check out Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa sometime. The oil-rich Warren family, along with contributions by parishoners in the Tulsa diocese help keep that place on the cutting edge of medical technology -- despite the fact they demonstrate Christian charity by treating the sick irrespective of their citizenship status.

You miss the point. Any money spent on X cannot be spent on Y. Money spent on Mexican nationals cannot be spent on Americans. No matter how you slice or dice it, there is no free here.

tommieharris91
6/14/2010, 08:28 PM
You miss the point. Any money spent on X cannot be spent on Y. Money spent on Mexican nationals cannot be spent on Americans. No matter how you slice or dice it, there is no free here.

If those Mexicans stay here in the US, it can.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 08:36 PM
Not sure what you meant by that.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2010, 11:50 AM
Fixed it!

Man, just imagine how much more good they could have done if they'd let gay people help. And then, think of how much money they wouldn't have to spend defending themselves from these discrimination suits and all the fallout associated with that. They could have really made a dent in making this world a better place.

Too bad they don't think much of gay people, huh?

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2010, 12:50 PM
It's really simple.

Don't put weiners in your butt or mouth.

Problem solved.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yUWM_8Yl8Zo/0.jpg

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/15/2010, 12:55 PM
I know a guy that got kicked out of the boy scouts for eating brownies. Seems a little harsh...

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 02:03 PM
Man, just imagine how much more good they could have done if they'd let gay people help.

At what cost?

The Boy Scouts consider open homosexuality a bigger deal than you do. So the disconnect between your reasoning and theirs is unbridgeable.

GKeeper316
6/15/2010, 02:37 PM
80 years of continued occupation and maintenance...

could they not argue squatters rights?

soonerboomer93
6/15/2010, 03:11 PM
It's really simple.

Don't put weiners in your butt or mouth.

Problem solved.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yUWM_8Yl8Zo/0.jpg

I'm forwarding this post to your wife

:pop:

King Barry's Back
6/15/2010, 08:19 PM
Isn't there a point here that everyone is missing?

Would any of you send your minor, teen-aged sons on sleepovers with gay-male "scout masters"?

Honestly, whether homosexuality is moral or not, having gay scout masters just doesn't make sense.

It's the same thing as having heterosexual males hosting girl scouts on overnights. It might be a fine idea in many respects, but how many parents are going to let their daughters go? And if too many parents say "No," then the Girl Scouts would go out of business.

Same with the Boy Scouts. If they accept openly gay scout masters, I think their days would be numbered. They would be probably one mass molestation scandal away from insolvency.

(And I think the homosexual/libertine/far-left lobby knows it, and that's part of the agenda, but that's another issue.)

Regarding the "no free rent to private citizens" argument -- that's valid in theory, but if the only facts we know come from that press release linked above, we don't know enough to make a decision regarding the Philadelphia case.

The nature of the 1920s agreement between the City of Philadelphia and the Boy Scouts is the relevant issue. My guess is that the Boy Scouts paid for building and maintaining the building all these years, but Philly agreed to take formal ownership of the building to make it easier for the Scouts to borrow money, or some such.

Guess we'll learn more. This is a lesson why private citizens shouldn't get in bed with govt, but that was done 80 years ago, so hard to criticise them now.

SoonerInKCMO
6/15/2010, 08:22 PM
Would any of you send your minor, teen-aged sons on sleepovers with gay-male "scout masters"?

If people think they aren't doing that now, they're dumber than a barrel full of aggies.

StoopTroup
6/15/2010, 08:39 PM
How the hell Leroid got into defending the messicans from getting free healthcare from something about a ghey Philly agenda to steal squatted Boy Scout Property...I have no idea. It is amazing internet fodder though.

BTW...I'm wondering if any of you Eagles got a badge for that Full Moon Night Ops?

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 10:40 PM
How the hell Leroid got into defending the messicans from getting free healthcare from something about a ghey Philly agenda to steal squatted Boy Scout Property...I have no idea. It is amazing internet fodder though.

BTW...I'm wondering if any of you Eagles got a badge for that Full Moon Night Ops?

Read the thread. I didn't initiate the discussion on illegal aliens.

Sure, I'll get blamed for it. That's a given.

yermom
6/15/2010, 10:57 PM
If people think they aren't doing that now, they're dumber than a barrel full of aggies.

DADT isn't working?

yermom
6/15/2010, 10:58 PM
Read the thread. I didn't initiate the discussion on illegal aliens.

Sure, I'll get blamed for it. That's a given.

:O

Frozen Sooner
6/16/2010, 02:52 AM
80 years of continued occupation and maintenance...

could they not argue squatters rights?

No. In order to gain title by adverse possession, your occupancy must be continuous, hostile, actual, notorious, and exclusive. In this case, the hostility element is not met. They were there with the permission of the landowner. They have no more right to adverse possession than a normal tenant would.

Okla-homey
6/16/2010, 06:14 AM
Man, just imagine how much more good they could have done if they'd let gay people help. And then, think of how much money they wouldn't have to spend defending themselves from these discrimination suits and all the fallout associated with that. They could have really made a dent in making this world a better place.

Too bad they don't think much of gay people, huh?

I realize this may seem anachronistic and horribly intolerant among so-called progressives, but the central and essential reason the BSA will not allow openly homosexual persons to become members or adult leaders is because homosexuality is considered by the organization to be immoral, irreligious and counter to the Scout Oath and Law.

Scout Oath

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Scout Law

•Trustworthy,
•Loyal,
•Helpful,
•Friendly,
•Courteous,
•Kind,
•Obedient,
•Cheerful,
•Thrifty,
•Brave,
•Clean,
•and Reverent

Leroy Lizard
6/16/2010, 12:39 PM
I realize this may seem anachronistic and horribly intolerant among so-called progressives, but the central and essential reason the BSA will not allow openly homosexual persons to become members or adult leaders is because homosexuality is considered by the organization to be immoral, irreligious and counter to the Scout Oath and Law.

Yep. If the Scouts change due to economic coercion, then they will truly be selling out their principles for monetary gain.

I suggest those that oppose the Scouts on this issue fire up their own volunteer organization. There is no need to force the Scouts to accept homosexual leaders, because the scouts is a community service organization. If a group of Muslims want to form a group to help clean up parks and beaches, more power to them. If they only want Muslims in their organization, fine. As a Christian, why would I want to stop them in their pursuits? If I want to clean up parks and beaches, I can do it without crashing their organization.

yermom
6/16/2010, 01:10 PM
would you want to foot the bill for the Muslims' rent?

Leroy Lizard
6/16/2010, 01:15 PM
would you want to foot the bill for the Muslims' rent?

The better question to ask is, "Would I argue in favor of charging them rent simply because I disagree with their beliefs?"

No!

fadada1
6/16/2010, 07:57 PM
make 'em ALL pay rent, i say. churches too!!!! tax the crap out of 'em. all that prime real estate not getting taxed. what a joke. no wonder property taxes are through the stinkin' roof. build more malls, too.... then tax the **** out of them as well.

now, pick up my trash and plow the freakin' streets!!!!!!!