PDA

View Full Version : USC Fans

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 11:10 PM
I get a kick out of reading USC fan forums. The reactions to the NCAA sanctions run the gamut, but a few groups of fans have appeared.

http://usc.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=521

http://wearesc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

1. Those that think the entire college football world should be willing to dump the NCAA because USC thinks it got unfairly treated.

2. Those that think the NCAA was born yesterday. ("Why don't we recruit scores of walk-ons, or have the water polo team recruit football players.")

3. Those that think the NCAA has "awakened a sleeping giant." (Yes, some have actually said that.)

4. Those that think Mike Garrett should keep his job because he is loyal to USC. (That's a small group, though, as most USC fans rightly think MG has the brain the size of a California raisin.)

5. Those that want to go Vlad on Reggie Bush. (Actually, that's just about all of them.)

6. Those that think USC has a school full of great lawyers, so they should have little trouble confronting the NCAA in court. (Yeah, as if USC would use its own law school professors in such a case.)

7. Those that still think the sanctions were all about the number of players involved, and not the lack of cooperation and overall bad attitude displayed by the school during the investigation.

BTW, can we learn some lessons from USC? I have one:

Under no circumstances hire a person to run a major department because of race or past sports stardom.

OKLA21FAN
6/13/2010, 11:32 PM
Under no circumstances hire a person to run a major department because of race or past sports stardom.

see; Steve Owens? :gary:

Dio
6/14/2010, 12:14 AM
See: John Blake

agoo758
6/14/2010, 12:24 AM
See: Ty Willingham

StoopTroup
6/14/2010, 05:28 AM
See: O.J. Simpson

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2010, 05:53 AM
6. Those that think USC has a school full of great lawyers, so they should have little trouble confronting the NCAA in court. (Yeah, as if USC would use its own law school professors in such a case.)

Good luck with that one. Gene Marsh was a professor at 'Bama the last time they went in front of the sanctions committee, and Marsh used to SIT on the sanctioning committee. Ask Alabama fans how that worked out for them.

badger
6/14/2010, 08:08 AM
No infractions ruling has been overturned lately regarding this type of stuff. I think they said it's been four years since a ruling like this has been overturned (might have been the one to vacate our 2005 wins - Boren for the wins, lol).

As such, out of all of the penalties, I think the one that SC has the best chance of overturning is the win one... but they'll have to do something to earn it, like promise more transparency and oversight or something. As for the other penalties...

1- Two year bowl ban. I think they chose two years for Bush's two season span of ineligibility, from the end of the 04-05 season to the 05-06 season, so no chance.

2- Vacating the BCS title. If they protest on the same grounds that OU did, saying that this is unfair to the many, many other players that earned the wins, they might have a chance at keeping some of those wins they got penalized. However, they will likely still have to un-document their lone BCS title (not that it will prevent them from claiming the AP ones from 03 and 04)

3- No contact or money from OJ or Reggie. This is one they will likely not protest, because fans hate them now anyway.

4- Everything involving womens tennis and mens basketball. They don't care. No contesting the penalties there.

5- Four years of probation. As long as they stay out of trouble, this will not be trouble, so I don't see them contesting this one.

6- 10 scholarships per year for three years (no more than 15 new scholarships per season, and no more than 75 total per season) Promising transparency and oversight might get this penalty dialed back a tad... but probably not.