PDA

View Full Version : From the Heart of SEC Country: OU is #1 Choice

Octavian
6/13/2010, 09:04 PM
This from the Atlanta Journal Constitution...it seems OU is shaping up to be the #1 choice by the SEC folks.

Mark Bradley
In this zero-sum game, Slive and the SEC need Oklahoma

The SEC could live without Texas. It couldn’t live as happily without Oklahoma. If both alight in the Pac-10, that would give the Left Coast League three schools that have won a BCS title. (Although Southern Cal’s grip on the 2004 championship is, owing to NCAA sanctions, slippery.) The SEC has four — Tennessee, Florida, LSU and Alabama — but the SEC prides itself on being twice as good as every other conference.

The SEC has also prided itself on being the first to act. (Its adoption of a football championship game in 1992 became the model.) This time the league appears to have been slow off the mark. But that can change with the right pitch to the right school.

For the SEC, Oklahoma would be that school. If the Sooners come South and the Longhorns follow, all the better. But Oklahoma alone would be enough to offset anything done by any other conference. The area code for Norman is 405. I’m guessing Mike Slive has it programmed in his BlackBerry, and I’m guessing he’s reaching for the Life Savers as we speak.

also...

...and simply adding Texas A&M won’t burnish the ol’ image.

full article at AJC (http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/06/13/in-this-zero-sum-game-slive-and-the-sec-need-oklahoma/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog)

85sooners
6/13/2010, 09:09 PM
:pop:

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 09:23 PM
So when do we learn the S-E-C chant?

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 09:34 PM
I can't wait for the increase in team speed that comes with the SEC logo.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 09:42 PM
SEC doesn't want OSU so that might give credibility to going to the SEC! Just saying! :)

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 09:46 PM
In all seriousness, if the SEC and Pac-10 are both pursuing us, then I think we should basically make this decision independent of what other schools do. The writer probably underestimates what having Texass would mean for the SEC. They'll fret if they miss out on them (or OU if we leave for the Pac-10) but they'll be in a world of trouble if they whiff on either.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 09:52 PM
;)
I can't wait for the increase in team speed that comes with the SEC logo.

Yup...four straight BCS championships and believe it or not it does make you seem faster(at least on TV)...

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 09:53 PM
In all seriousness, if the SEC and Pac-10 are both pursuing us, then I think we should basically make this decision independent of what other schools do. The writer probably underestimates what having Texass would mean for the SEC. They'll fret if they miss out on them (or OU if we leave for the Pac-10) but they'll be in a world of trouble if they whiff on either.

Ain't gonna happen. Your PTB are in bed with Texas all the way on this one. And it's a darn shame.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 09:53 PM
Too bad we are PAC 10 bound.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 10:01 PM
Even if we make the decision independently it's better for OU to go to the PAC 10

President Boren in the paper said he would take the PAC 10 because they are the best academically.

With Justin Chiasson, DeMarco Murray, Ryan Reynolds, Quinton Carter, Brennan Clay, Kenny Stills, Tony Jefferson, OU's developing a west coast recruiting pipeline. Going to the PAC 10 increases this.

The competition is just better for OU going with teams in your area. Even though we will see longer probably plain rides to AZ and the west coast, having familiarity makes the transition to a new conference better. Plus those other teams have long travel here.

We go to the SEC, Fayetteville is 250 miles from OKC, and A&M is 360 miles. Everywhere else is about 500 miles or more.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 10:05 PM
Even if we make the decision independently it's better for OU to go to the PAC 10

President Boren in the paper said he would take the PAC 10 because they are the best academically.

With Justin Chiasson, DeMarco Murray, Ryan Reynolds, Quinton Carter, Brennan Clay, Kenny Stills, Tony Jefferson, OU's developing a west coast recruiting pipeline. Going to the PAC 10 increases this.

The competition is just better for OU going with teams in your area. Even though we will see longer probably plain rides to AZ and the west coast, having familiarity makes the transition to a new conference better. Plus those other teams have long travel here.

We go to the SEC, Fayetteville is 250 miles from OKC, and A&M is 360 miles. Everywhere else is about 500 miles or more.

That. I've been trying to point out for a while that - shockingly - this isn't just about football. Our administration is pushing really hard to up OU's academic reputation, and that's a big thing the SEC doesn't help with.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 10:07 PM
If OU goes to the SEC, does Okie State still go to the Pac 10?

That would mean Okie State would belong to a conference more prestigious academically than OU.

Please do not let that happen.

Octavian
6/13/2010, 10:17 PM
That. I've been trying to point out for a while that - shockingly - this isn't just about football. Our administration is pushing really hard to up OU's academic reputation, and that's a big thing the SEC doesn't help with.

Agreed. I also think going to the West is in OU's best interests.

Too many people are way too concerned with appearing tough and not analyzing why the move to the West is in OU's best interests.

If Joe C. would have answered a few questions in a different way, there wouldn't be as many frayed nerves around here.

I posted this article and link because it should be known that we are wanted elsewhere if need be -- and others that know what they're talking about think extremely highly of OU football....with or without Texas.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 10:20 PM
Culture and tradition matter. The SEC is much more suitable for a powerhouse like the Sooners than the underwhelming PAC-10.
I know nick already packed his bags, but I'm hoping Boren knows better than to rush into this.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 10:26 PM
Culture and tradition matter. The SEC is much more suitable for a powerhouse like the Sooners than the underwhelming PAC-10.
I know nick already packed his bags, but I'm hoping Boren knows better than to rush into this.

If it's David Boren's choice it's the PAC 10. He has as much said so. You don't want it to be Boren's choice if you want the SEC.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 10:31 PM
My fave from the comments-

Texas A&M is still a conservative, military school based on respect and sanity.

heh

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 10:34 PM
If it's David Boren's choice it's the PAC 10. He has as much said so. You don't want it to be Boren's choice if you want the SEC.
You got that right.

I know this is not the political side of the board, but....lest we not forget what political party David Boren is part of--he is a staunch Democrat and a supporter of Barack Obama. That of course fits in well with the left coast/PAC 10 but I'll bet doesn't fly over very well with the average Oklahoman, the only state in the union that didn't give one single county to Obama in the last election.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 10:38 PM

It's not about what I want. Nor is it about what you want.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 10:40 PM
You got that right.

I know this is not the political side of the board, but....lest we not forget what political party David Boren is part of--he is a staunch Democrat and a supporter of Barack Obama. That of course fits in well with the left coast/PAC 10 but I'll bet doesn't fly over very well with the average Oklahoman, the only state in the union that didn't give one single county to Obama in the last election.

You are right, but politics don't really factor for me. The thought of going to the PAC 10 makes my Sooner Soul feel dirty. It's not a good FOOTBALL fit.

boomerborn79
6/13/2010, 10:42 PM
You are right, but politics don't really factor for me. The thought of going to the PAC 10 makes my Sooner Soul feel dirty. It's not a good FOOTBALL fit.

MAKES ME WANNA PUKE[hairGel]

soonervegas
6/13/2010, 10:42 PM
So we are going to a wine and cheese league instead of a beer and pretzel league?

Switzer must be rolling over in his grave right now.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 10:43 PM
Did something happen to The King that I don't know about?

sooneron
6/13/2010, 10:44 PM
You got that right.

I hate to break the news to you, because you have probably never interacted with DB, but the man is all about $. He could give two ****s about $ coming into OU if David Duke were signing the check.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 10:45 PM
So we are going to a wine and cheese league instead of a beer and pretzel league?

Switzer must be rolling over in his booth at Othello's right about now.

fixed that for ya!

BajaOklahoma
6/13/2010, 11:31 PM
The thought of having to let lsu fans come to Norman makes me physicaly ill.

Eielson
6/13/2010, 11:36 PM
Did something happen to The King that I don't know about?

Nope. At least not that I know of.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:48 PM
The thought of having to let lsu fans come to Norman makes me physicaly ill.

no chit!

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2010, 11:53 PM
If we go to the SEC we would be a smaller, less relevant fish in a bigger pond from a football point of view. Could happen in the Pac1* too, but less likely. The big12 was basically OU/TX plus some random dark horse each season. The Pa1* would add USC to that mix while the SEC would add 'Bama, UF, LSU and some tougher 2nd tier teams like UGA, Auburn, Tenn. We would only challenge for the conference in those special years when everything comes together instead of almost every year. But I'm sure sooner fans would understand and not gripe about it in return for the privilege of saying we play in a tougher league (S.E.C S.E.C or however that goes).

SGT Park3R
6/14/2010, 12:11 AM
I really don't want OU to be in the same conference as the Oregon Fags.

mehip
6/14/2010, 01:03 AM
Are we, us fans that is, actually a good fit for the sec though? They seem to have a whole lot of SEC love going on while we....well we just hate Texas :)

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2010, 01:10 AM
I'm in favor of Oklahoma staying west of the Mississippi.

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 06:27 AM
Can someone please post a credible source that evidences the causal link between an increase in academic clout and athletic conference association?
It’s a freaking athletic conference not a debate team league.

Stay BIG12 or SEC. Just my own preference.

stoopified
6/14/2010, 09:39 AM
Switzer must be rolling over in his grave right now.A little early to be hitting the crackpipe son. :D

cheezyq
6/14/2010, 09:44 AM
Are we, us fans that is, actually a good fit for the sec though? They seem to have a whole lot of SEC love going on while we....well we just hate Texas :)

This. Seriously, I don't want to be any part of a conference where a school will root for its rival just so the conference will look good. I like it in the Big 12 where EVERYONE hates Texas. I think the possibilities are greater that this tradition would continue in the Pac-16. This would make me very happy.

The fact that LSU fans root for Florida in the championship game makes me ill just thinking about it. Screw rivalries, they don't exist in the SEC. The SEC is more of a gang than it is a conference of competing schools.

Regarding OU's "fit" in the SEC, I prefer not to be associated too closely with the typical SEC fan, who's entire existence hinges upon the success of their team...so much so that they have to root for the conference when their team is not doing well, just so they can save a little face.

Academically, financially, and athletically (as a whole) OU stands to benefit MUCH more by going to the Pac-16 than the SEC. OU is not just a football school anymore, like it was in the 70s. OU has a solid basketball program, a good baseball program, a fantastic women's basketball program, legendary gymnastics team, and a MUCH improved academic program...it goes on and on. In the SEC, we become just another football school.

OUthunder
6/14/2010, 10:22 AM
This. Seriously, I don't want to be any part of a conference where a school will root for its rival just so the conference will look good. I like it in the Big 12 where EVERYONE hates Texas. I think the possibilities are greater that this tradition would continue in the Pac-16. This would make me very happy.

The fact that LSU fans root for Florida in the championship game makes me ill just thinking about it. Screw rivalries, they don't exist in the SEC. The SEC is more of a gang than it is a conference of competing schools.

Regarding OU's "fit" in the SEC, I prefer not to be associated too closely with the typical SEC fan, who's entire existence hinges upon the success of their team...so much so that they have to root for the conference when their team is not doing well, just so they can save a little face.

Academically, financially, and athletically (as a whole) OU stands to benefit MUCH more by going to the Pac-16 than the SEC. OU is not just a football school anymore, like it was in the 70s. OU has a solid basketball program, a good baseball program, a fantastic women's basketball program, legendary gymnastics team, and a MUCH improved academic program...it goes on and on. In the SEC, we become just another football school.

Really? I'd rather watch paint dry then watch the product that I saw on the court in Norman this past year.

C&CDean
6/14/2010, 10:30 AM
One season a program does not make...

OUinFLA
6/14/2010, 10:44 AM
One season a program does not make...

You been watching a lot of the Star Wars marathons lately?

MR2-Sooner86
6/14/2010, 11:11 AM
I thought a big reason to go to the Pac-10 was to get a better footing in California recruiting so we could hit that and Texas hard. If we go to the SEC wouldn't we lose a little bit of that edge?

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:34 AM
Can someone please post a credible source that evidences the causal link between an increase in academic clout and athletic conference association?
It’s a freaking athletic conference not a debate team league.

Stay BIG12 or SEC. Just my own preference.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/96187179.html

UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman said the university's move to the Big 10 conference will increase research funding, the school's exposure and its ability to recruit top faculty.

Ta-da!!!

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/96187179.html

Ta-da!!!

I figured out why those late night info-mercials actually work.

THAT IS NOT PROOF IT IS SOMEONE SPECULATING WITH AN INTEREST IN JOINING THE BIG10!!!

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:33 PM
I figured out why those late night info-mercials actually work.

THAT IS NOT PROOF IT IS SOMEONE SPECULATING WITH AN INTEREST IN JOINING THE BIG10!!!

Fine.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/10/1511330/big-ten-expansion-and-the-cic-are

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 12:39 PM
As Corn Nation points out, the Big Ten's Committee on Institutional Cooperation receives 12% of federal research funds, a number that will only increase as the Conference adds additional research based schools.

So another school (that receives research dollars) is added and the total research dollars for the conference increase? You dont say?

Again.....do you understand causal link? I guess I should add the independent attestation requirement to keep you from linking every BIG media link that tries to make these claims.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:42 PM
So another school (that receives research dollars) is added and the total research dollars for the conference increase? You dont say?

Again.....do you understand causal link? I guess I should add the independent attestation requirement to keep you from linking every BIG media link that tries to make these claims.

Are you looking for research studies with control groups and null hypotheses?

What the CIC does do is four fold. First, it acts as a library exchange between it's member institutions, allowing almost instantaneous access to each member's extensive libraries. This is a big benefit is you're doing research on a subject that hasn't been covered at your particular institution, and it's a tremendous asset to your student population. Second, the CIC facilitates a scholar exchange. This allows member schools to solicit, borrow or in some ways "trade" faculty for set periods of time to allow their various departments to benefit from their expertise. It's an underrated aspect of CIC membership in that it allows schools to obtain teachers and researchers at limited cost and limits interconference pilfering of staff, allowing for greater continuity on those staffs.

What else do you want?

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 12:47 PM
What else do you want?

A quantifiable, attested increase in research $ where the proximate cause was athletic conference affiliation.

Don't bother posting anymore Maize&BLue BIG10 stuff. You're just wasting your time.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 01:31 PM
A quantifiable, attested increase in research $ where the proximate cause was athletic conference affiliation.

Don't bother posting anymore Maize&BLue BIG10 stuff. You're just wasting your time.

Controlled research studies designed to show causal links are very expensive to pull off and I seriously doubt anyone has done it. You can refute just about any argument by demanding that causal links be proven.

Rather, use some common sense. The CIC must be worthwhile; otherwise, why would all members of the Big10 and the University of Chicago want to join?

Are you suggesting that the following points are fabrications?

What the CIC does do is four fold. First, it acts as a library exchange between it's member institutions, allowing almost instantaneous access to each member's extensive libraries. This is a big benefit is you're doing research on a subject that hasn't been covered at your particular institution, and it's a tremendous asset to your student population. Second, the CIC facilitates a scholar exchange. This allows member schools to solicit, borrow or in some ways "trade" faculty for set periods of time to allow their various departments to benefit from their expertise. It's an underrated aspect of CIC membership in that it allows schools to obtain teachers and researchers at limited cost and limits interconference pilfering of staff, allowing for greater continuity on those staffs.

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 01:34 PM
Are you suggesting that the following points are fabrications?

No I am saying that increases/decreases in research dollars are a function of so many variables that you can't simply claim joining a different conference will improve your university.