PDA

View Full Version : A&M turns down PAC 10

Soonez
6/13/2010, 05:55 PM
A lot of info coming my way right now. I'll update shortly if I here more.

Soonez
6/13/2010, 05:59 PM
Sorry if this was already posted. Spokesman at A&M is denying it, but a family friend in the athletic dept says that's exactly what happened.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 06:06 PM
Keep it coming! You may have scooped the TX organge site which would be AWESOME!

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 06:26 PM
AM is calling Texas's bluff. This has got to have Texas shaking at the core. THIS was not supposed to happen.

Collier11
6/13/2010, 06:32 PM
I doubt texas gives two rats about a&m, hell, this gives them a chance to break away finally

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 06:34 PM
I doubt texas gives two rats about a&m, hell, this gives them a chance to break away finally

If that were true, then there would be no pressure whatsoever being brought to bear on them to 'get in line' like you guys have, and that ain't the case.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 06:58 PM
They were only putting pressure on because they figured it would be like prior to 1994 when Texas had no choice as Governor Ma Richards made sure TX, A&M, Tech, and Baylor all went to the Big 12 and left our TCU. This time Governor Perry has said he will not step in or even comment where they should go so the schools can split. TX doesn't care about A&M Aggies and never has -- they were forced to take them all.

Tigeman
6/13/2010, 07:05 PM
Now only if we could ditch our Aggie! How bout we ditch both Aggies and bring along Kansas?

steross
6/13/2010, 07:07 PM
Now only if we could ditch our Aggie! How bout we ditch both Aggies and bring along Kansas?

How about just exchanging aggies. OSU can go PAC 10 with UT and you can go to SEC with A&M.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 07:10 PM
Wonder what HS prospects in TX will be more likely to watch on saturday in the fall--
Bama/TAMU at 230 in the afternoon, or UT/OU vs (pick your PAC 10 team) at 930 pm on sat night?

Soonez
6/13/2010, 07:27 PM
Wonder what HS prospects in TX will be more likely to watch on saturday in the fall--
Bama/TAMU at 230 in the afternoon, or UT/OU vs (pick your PAC 10 team) at 930 pm on sat night?

Uh,,,, Let me see,,,, OU/USC at 3:30 on ABC

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 07:32 PM

Sure--when it's in Norman. But not when you're out on the left coast.

trwxxa
6/13/2010, 07:35 PM

Best case is that this matchup would only be 2 years out of every 6.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/13/2010, 07:36 PM

I gotta think that game times have come up in conversations, and if they do add 4 or 5 Big XII south schools, maybe they'll consider 8pm CT/6pm PT time starts when possible.

bluedogok
6/13/2010, 07:39 PM
The Pac-10 has some of their regional games on at 2:30 CT (12:30 PT) but OU/USC no matter where it is would more than likely be a prime time game.

Tigeman
6/13/2010, 07:40 PM
In HS, I was asleep at 2:30 in the afternoon after longgggg nights, despite being a D1 recruit in 2 sports. LOL

As for top TX recruits.... when's the last time Aggie landed multiple top tier TX recruits, that actually signed with them? They just aren't as relevant as they are trying to seem, or you guys would like to make them out to be.

But I'll take OU/UT vs. SC/Oregon/Tech
anyday over
AtM vs. Bama/FL.

And our proposed games you mentioned would more than likely air around 3:30 CST.... Just like multiple Pac-10 games this year. Latest you'd probably see is 7:30 CST after bargaining by UT/OU .

They are at best a 6-6 team in the SEC, and even their fans know it. Kids like watching good games, not A$$ whoopins.

Only kids that grew up in SEC states pay attn. to that idiotic SEC SEC SEC chant. And even then, they still listen with interest to the OU's and *'s of the world.

PrideTrombone
6/13/2010, 07:43 PM

They sure as hell aren't gonna watch and then commit to A&M after you ****stomp them. I think this'll be good for the SEC teams for exposure in Texas, and I think it's an idiotic move for A&M. IMO, at best, they can only hope to match what Arkansas has done and not much more.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 07:47 PM

Bammer Yeller Hammer, love you guys and all (I really do), but you're dead wrong about that.

First, of the eight teams making up the proposed eastern division of the Pac-16, 6 are on central time. AU and ASU will play their road games on central time and probably to accomodate the texas audience (remember they have a recruiting interest there) will play their home games against eastern division foes a little earlier.

So then that leaves a handful of games, probably only 8 to 12 from the west coast that may have later kickoffs. And by later you can bet on 6:30 PST which is 8:30 Central. That's not exactly recruit beddy-bye time.

It's not like you guys haven't played your share of 8:00 PM games (which I've watched at Central time at 7:00).

So cut the crap.

Besides, you really looking forward to the very real possibility of another loss added to your sched? You don't think OU coming to the SEC is going to be an automatic win every year for Bama, LSU, Tenn, Florida, et al, do you?

Ever hear of "too much of a good thing?"

Leroyt
6/13/2010, 07:57 PM

Why would anyone want to see bama hammer mouth breather U? If aggie goes to the sec, the sec will find out that another whipping boy won't win you a lot of Texas tv eyes. If eaTme wants to sign up for weekly poundings from the land that toothpicks forgot, Texas will have no problem with it.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:14 PM
I gotta think that game times have come up in conversations, and if they do add 4 or 5 Big XII south schools, maybe they'll consider 8pm CT/6pm PT time starts when possible.

Only game times we won't have with the PAC 10 are most likely 11:00 and 11:30 which suits me just fine. Some posters forget a lot of our games are still going to be in central time as we are in the East of the PAC 10 and AZ and AZ State are only one hour difference just like Colorado in Mountain Time. Bet the one game every year TX or OU has on the coast will be an afternoon game or 6:00 cst. Let Aggie up north get all the late games so they can be on TV. TX and OU will be taken care of and you can take it to the bank.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 08:17 PM
Bammer Yeller Hammer, love you guys and all (I really do), but you're dead wrong about that.

First, of the eight teams making up the proposed eastern division of the Pac-16, 6 are on central time. AU and ASU will play their road games on central time and probably to accomodate the texas audience (remember they have a recruiting interest there) will play their home games against eastern division foes a little earlier.

So then that leaves a handful of games, probably only 8 to 12 from the west coast that may have later kickoffs. And by later you can bet on 6:30 PST which is 8:30 Central. That's not exactly recruit beddy-bye time.

It's not like you guys haven't played your share of 8:00 PM games (which I've watched at Central time at 7:00).

So cut the crap.

Besides, you really looking forward to the very real possibility of another loss added to your sched? You don't think OU coming to the SEC is going to be an automatic win every year for Bama, LSU, Tenn, Florida, et al, do you?Ever hear of "too much of a good thing?"

No. I don't. I have stated before that you guys would enhance the SEC, and make it better than it already is. I actually think you guys would have a lot of success if you came east, and it would actually help your recruiting. Texas can only take 25 a year from their state, so the argument that you have to play follow the leader with them to save recruiting is bogus.

We'd love to have you, and I, Mike Slive, and others think you'd be a good fit. We want you, but, in the end...we don't NEED you. Good luck in the new PAC 16, and I mean that sincerely.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 08:26 PM
I appreciate your sentiment SB. I hope we sneak off and join the SEC.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:28 PM
SEC has told us they will take us but not Okie State which would suit me just fine.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2010, 08:29 PM
Hey Saban, even something like a 7 - 1 Okie State game vs. an 8 - 0 Oregon game in Stillwater would prolly draw the 7pm slot on ABC. It's not like OU, Texas and USC are all we've got talent wise.

bluedogok
6/13/2010, 08:35 PM
SEC has told us they will take us but not Okie State which would suit me just fine.
I concur....

OklahomaTuba
6/13/2010, 08:39 PM
We should be going with them.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:48 PM
I just read an article that MO is trying to save the Big 12 now -- if the Big 10 delivered them an invite tomorrow they would be gone. Why is Bebee briefing TX on how they can screw the rest of us and why are our President's taking it in order to try and save the Big 12. The way it is structured what is worth saving -- Okie State already bows to TX.

PrideTrombone
6/13/2010, 08:48 PM
We should be going with them.

This is the best evidence I've seen yet that we need to be going to the Pac-10.

Stitch Face
6/13/2010, 09:17 PM
The whole point of sports (especially in the age of TV/advertising) is to create entertaining competition between teams people care about. The problem with breaking up Tx/aTm or OU/lOSUr is that many Texans and Oklahomans (especially those from "houses divided") want to watch those teams play each other every year and the advertisers/TV and radio stations/shopkeepers know it. On which day in the fall does the town of Stillwater make the most money? I'm guessing it might be when OU and fans comes to town. While it would be hilarious to see OU and OSU divide up and watch OSU wither without a reason for existing, it's unlikely to happen for financial reasons.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 09:27 PM
No. I don't. I have stated before that you guys would enhance the SEC, and make it better than it already is.

I know you didn't... that was more rhetorical. But the direction of my question is, why would you want to make it better? LSU somehow made it to the BCS national championship game with 2 (OT) losses. But absolutely everything in college football had to fall in place for that to happen. The odds of that happening again? They have to be pretty remote.

Adding OU or Texas to the SEC means that you potentiall could have 2, 3, maybe 4, 10-2 football teams at the top year in and year out. All of whom won't be in the National Championship game against undefeated or one-loss teams.

I just don't think it does the most good for everyone concerned for OU or Texas or both to go to the SEC.

SOONER_ED
6/13/2010, 09:32 PM
This whole mess is like the fans wanting a cretin qb to lead the SOONERS to the promise land . The ones that don’t get the guy they wanted chomp at the moment when something bad happens and says I told you so.
Our motto has and will all ways be “ Play Like A Champion “ and lot of SOONER fans feel that the SEC gives us that chance. You can go west and be a top 3 program year in and year out and not try that hard in doing it , would that make you think we was special then.

Or go to the SEC and compete week in week out with top 20 schools. To be the best you have to play the best and id rather earn OUr way to the top in this manner. The short horns will for ever be the most hated team in my eyes and for us to give them so much credit makes me sick

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 09:37 PM
Fox Sports reporting that the PAC 10 Commissioner's plane is on its way to Kansas City and then to Kansas after he left Austin. Sounds like A&M did turn him down and now turning to Kansas.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2010, 09:43 PM
How about just exchanging aggies. OSU can go PAC 10 with UT and you can go to SEC with A&M.

OSU has 0% chance of going to the pac 10 (our SEC) without OU

well, maybe 5% depending on papa pickens checkbook that day

TMcGee86
6/13/2010, 10:32 PM
Houston Chronicle is reporting that A&M is going to the SEC.

Can't wait to hear Beebee tell us how a 9 team conference is now viable. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 10:52 PM
"Hey, it worked for the Big 8, right?"

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 11:19 PM
We need to make a decision such that both OU and OSU go to better situations. From an Oklahoma (the state) angle, having OSU drop down in weight is not good. Think of the bigger picture, and not just the sports rivalry thang.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 11:21 PM
This whole mess is like the fans wanting a cretin qb to lead the SOONERS to the promise land . The ones that don’t get the guy they wanted chomp at the moment when something bad happens and says I told you so.
Our motto has and will all ways be “ Play Like A Champion “ and lot of SOONER fans feel that the SEC gives us that chance. You can go west and be a top 3 program year in and year out and not try that hard in doing it , would that make you think we was special then.

For me, it's about academics. Pac-10 > SEC, so it's the Pac-10.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 11:39 PM

You get a perfectly good education at Bama or LSU. The academics angle is BS. You wanna go to the PAC 10 to rub elbows with Stanford, but end up linked with ASU.:rolleyes:

Jdog
6/13/2010, 11:51 PM
Only game times we won't have with the PAC 10 are most likely 11:00 and 11:30 which suits me just fine. Some posters forget a lot of our games are still going to be in central time as we are in the East of the PAC 10 and AZ and AZ State are only one hour difference just like Colorado in Mountain Time. Bet the one game every year TX or OU has on the coast will be an afternoon game or 6:00 cst. Let Aggie up north get all the late games so they can be on TV. TX and OU will be taken care of and you can take it to the bank.

The time zone thing will be a problem. AU and ASU don't spring forward - so first few games of the season will be a 2 hour difference.
I've heard that there won't be a championship game so why would they have divisions?
might be better if they don't, that way we get more games with the West coast teams than just 2 every 8 years .

starclassic tama
6/13/2010, 11:58 PM
wanna be the best? beat the best. lets go to the SEC

Tear Down This Wall
6/14/2010, 12:17 AM

Or go to the SEC and compete week in week out with top 20 schools. To be the best you have to play the best and id rather earn OUr way to the top in this manner. The short horns will for ever be the most hated team in my eyes and for us to give them so much credit makes me sick

Amen to that, dude! Too many people were calling for more Idaho State/North Texas-type games last year after we lost to Miami.

You're either good enough to beat the best schools in the country or you're not. Beating Pac-10 schools often prove nothing.

And...I laugh everytime I see that academic argument applied to athletics. It's baloney. Nothing more than limp-wristed, wine-sipping fodder.

rollntider
6/14/2010, 12:32 AM

Cool, why are you on a sports forum touting academics, what academic forums do you post on?

Seriously, I heard the horn fan during this last BCS game tell me this and that about academics, then I asked why are we peers at this company with your Texas education, and my UAB / Community college education?

Our boss is a penn state graduate, and the owner is a Memphis state drop out.

mehip
6/14/2010, 12:50 AM
Good riddance. Never despised a delusional fan base more than aTm and their pretend soldiers squeezing their nuts.

Harry Beanbag
6/14/2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.utexasclan.com/images/squeeze.gif

mehip
6/14/2010, 12:58 AM

You don't think we've been doing that with our aggressive schedules? Who else in the country will have an out of conference schedule like OU this coming season? The only other team that I can think of that does it consistently is VaTech.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 10:54 AM
You get a perfectly good education at Bama or LSU. The academics angle is BS. You wanna go to the PAC 10 to rub elbows with Stanford, but end up linked with ASU.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind "linking up" with some of the ASU womenz

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 11:01 AM
ESPN reporting it is a done deal with A&M to SEC, Bebee plan is dead (YEA) and OU, TX, OSU, and Tech to PAC 10 as their reporter just got off the phone with four of the schools and it is a done deal. TX has already told the PAC 10 they are coming so their posturing to save the Big 12 was all talk!

Soonez
6/14/2010, 11:07 AM
I am very proud of Boren and Joe C. For keeping somewhat low key and doing what is best. Everything te&@s has done seems a little low class. As should be expected.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 11:11 AM
No. I don't. I have stated before that you guys would enhance the SEC, and make it better than it already is. I actually think you guys would have a lot of success if you came east, and it would actually help your recruiting. Texas can only take 25 a year from their state, so the argument that you have to play follow the leader with them to save recruiting is bogus.

We'd love to have you, and I, Mike Slive, and others think you'd be a good fit. We want you, but, in the end...we don't NEED you. Good luck in the new PAC 16, and I mean that sincerely.

I don't think our recruiting would be affected that much either way. We're still going to pull players out of Texas (especially DFW area). The SEC would be a good draw for top recruits, but then travel to places like UW, L.A., San Fran will draw some too, especially Cali recruits. We already have a foothold there, so that might tighten it down.

There's a couple things to consider. OU or OU/UT to the SEC makes the league better, no doubt about it. It makes an incredibly top heavy league even worse in that regards. You would virtually guarantee a 1 loss team to make the BCS champsionship game, with a good chance that a 2 loss team could make it (like lester u did).

OU/UT et the babies to the PAC drastically increases appeal for that league. They're no longer basically a 1 team draw (USC). Now they have expanded into the central time zone, added 2 blue blood programs. The Big 12 won't exactly be around, so someone has to fill the afternoon time slots the B12 was using. Who are they going to use, the MWC?

The first year or two, you're going to have a lot of people tunning in just to see what happens. If they show competitive on par to what the Big 12 has been the last few years, then the PAC instantly becomes the 2nd best conferance (you know, the big 12's spot), with the possibilty of being considered "the best conferance" as things naturally wax an wane.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:26 AM
ESPN reporting it is a done deal with A&M to SEC, Bebee plan is dead (YEA) and OU, TX, OSU, and Tech to PAC 10 as their reporter just got off the phone with four of the schools and it is a done deal. TX has already told the PAC 10 they are coming so their posturing to save the Big 12 was all talk!

Chip Brown reporting that ut is committed to saving the Big 12

htownsooner7
6/14/2010, 11:36 AM
Chip Brown reporting that ut is committed to saving the Big 12

At what cost to everyone else? Beebe is promising a bigger piece of the pie to UT, so of course, they are interested. Baylor, Kansas etc will gladly go along because they know where their fate lies. But for us, we have a lot of leverage. Texas making this selfish money grab within the big 12 could actually push us to the SEC.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:37 AM
not a bigger piece of the pie per say. Sure, the revenue sharing would stay the same but that is based off of what kind of revenue you bring in.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 11:39 AM

Considering we're going to be playing one game a year out on the west coast, I'm not too concerned about it. The only time aTm had a better program than us was when we had Gibbs/Schnelly/Blake as our head coach. That's not going to change anytime soon. It's not like going SEC SEC SEC made Arkie any better.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:40 AM
Congrats A&M, you go to the SEC you are now Mississippi state

yermom
6/14/2010, 11:42 AM
i can't understand A&M in this, they will get slaughtered in the SEC.

it's not that i'm afraid to go to the SEC, but it is already enough of a meat grinder that the teams won't hardly play interesting OOC teams it seems. that would only get worse

the new Pac-whatever conference isn't going to be a cake-walk anyway.

and there is something to the academic thing to a lesser extent. i mean things are mentioned in that sense, like "OU has the Xth fastest supercomputer in the Big 12" it's just a convenient way to compare things. if we are in a group with Berkley and Stanford we might be encouraged to move up in comparisons like that

Mississippi Sooner
6/14/2010, 11:43 AM
Congrats A&M, you go to the SEC you are now Mississippi state

Pretty much. Hey, they've got practically interchangeable uniforms, and they shared at least one coach in the past. All they need is a few thousand cowbells. Shouldn't be too hard to find those.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 11:47 AM
wanna be the best? beat the best. lets go to the SEC

I'll beat the best in the NC game every year. I don't need to do it every week.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:53 AM
The SEC is so frickin overrated as an entire conference, their top teams have been better lately but the rest of the conference isnt that great

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:55 AM
Cool, why are you on a sports forum touting academics, what academic forums do you post on?

Irrelevant.

If at some point you can make your point relevant (and not purely ad hominem) I will respond.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.utexasclan.com/images/squeeze.gif

Does anyone know WHY the cadets are apparently squeezing their inner children?

Big Red Ron
6/14/2010, 12:09 PM
ATM has lost their minds if they go to the SEC. They couldn't cut it in the big XII. Texas has said they won't ever play them again if they go to the SEC. The aggy fight song will really be stupid then.

yermom
6/14/2010, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know WHY the cadets are apparently squeezing their inner children?

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=333647&page=1&forum_id=5

"When the team is in pain, we should be in pain, too!"

the official site with the traditions is down. they are probably revamping it to take all the Texas stuff out now, but i remember reading the same sentiment there

http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/

SoonerAtKU
6/14/2010, 12:18 PM
If I recall from my tour of A&M, it's to feel the pain of the football team. Also, at other occasions, it's to feel the pain of our men and women in uniform.

Both of these are idiotic.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:19 PM
Dang, in the 77-0 game there mustve been alot of ball removals

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:31 PM
If I recall from my tour of A&M, it's to feel the pain of the football team. Also, at other occasions, it's to feel the pain of our men and women in uniform.

Both of these are idiotic.

The team should be squeezing 'em to feel the pain of the fans.

cheezyq
6/14/2010, 12:51 PM

So cut the crap.

Besides, you really looking forward to the very real possibility of another loss added to your sched? You don't think OU coming to the SEC is going to be an automatic win every year for Bama, LSU, Tenn, Florida, et al, do you?

Ever hear of "too much of a good thing?"

This is what keeps itching at me through this whole "SEC" talk. Do they really want another football superpower to come in and wreck their party? This isn't just another football school we're talking about here. This is OU, THE premier football school in all of NCAA. The only thing the SEC has that's even close is Alabama. Other than that, conference dominance rotates among a few schools.

All things equal, OU entering that conference makes even elite football schools like Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU less and less relevent on a year-to-year basis. Soon enough, most of those schools would end up on par with the OSU Cowboys or Texas Tech...bowing to Bama and OU ever year and hoping for a shot at 3rd place.

Adding Texas A&M makes sense for the SEC - a moderately tough football school with rabid delusional fans that strengthens the recruiting ties and overall toughness of the conference without much of a chance at becoming a dominating force. Can you imagine OU with stronger recruiting ties to the Southeast, even Florida? The SEC West wouldn't have a chance.

Man, OU with SEC speed, now that's scary... ;) :rolleyes: