PDA

View Full Version : The PAC 10/Big 10/ UT Attack on Texas A&M and Why...

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 04:45 PM
...is the title of a thread off of an aggie board written by a professed Florida fan and his theory of whats really driving all this realignment. Quite a conspiracy theory, but after I read and re-read it, it actually makes sense...A "must read" if you are following all this hour by hour like the rest of us junkies(warning: it's long)

http://tamu.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=15&tid=144013790&mid=144013790&sid=893&style=2

badger
6/13/2010, 04:56 PM
I love that this conference reallignment talk has brought all of our resident opposing fans outta their hiding places... or just made the openly resident opposing fans more talkative :D

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 04:57 PM
First thing that jumped out was the wrong date for A&M to meet with Texas -- it was Wednesday not Monday. When you miss something like that -- guy who wrote it actually put Monday which throws off his time for the rest of the week.

SEC had approached TX and OU about their interest, but didn't want anyone else. Castigleone brought that up when all this hit and everyone was saying OU was just sitting there.

Kevin Weiberg, former Big 12 Commissioner who had a brain, is the deputy at the PAC 10.

The NE comments are nothing more than trying to shift blame for tanking the conference which they did.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 05:07 PM
First thing that jumped out was the wrong date for A&M to meet with Texas -- it was Wednesday not Monday. When you miss something like that -- guy who wrote it actually put Monday which throws off his time for the rest of the week.

SEC had approached TX and OU about their interest, but didn't want anyone else. Castigleone brought that up when all this hit and everyone was saying OU was just sitting there.

Kevin Weiberg, former Big 12 Commissioner who had a brain, is the deputy at the PAC 10.

The NE comments are nothing more than trying to shift blame for tanking the conference which they did.

I'd say that is true, in that it was the SEC's first preference, but once Texas skated off to the PAC 10 then AM became the next best choice out of that state. There is no doubt that the SEC wants a presence in Texas.

I'm not one to go around looking for black helicopters, but the assertions presented in this post, especially from the Big10/PAC 10/ABC/ESPN angle make a whole lot of sense. Remember, when all else fails, follow the money....

goingoneight
6/13/2010, 05:07 PM
Why would Nebraska feel any regret toward their move? Because of splitting up the OU/NU rivalry? I'm pretty sure the BIG 12 did that in 1996, and it's not like we don't swing a big enough stick that if OUr programs and fans truly wanted an annual OU/NU game we couldn't get it.

NU fits that Northern geographic, and with the BIG 10, not only do they make more money (the whole reason anyone would want to go), their football program with good coaching will be able to tap into the riches of BIG 10 talent pools instead of taking sloppy fourths out of Texas.

Actually, I'm kinda happy for NU and their fans... it was a good move. If you're on a sinking ship and a chopper flies down to pick you up... what the hell are you gonna do?

goingoneight
6/13/2010, 05:11 PM
FTR, no matter where we go or stay, it would be cool to have OUr traditional rivals in OOC every year, but the BCS has to go before we do that. Something tells me no matter how much the morons in charge want to hold onto this BCS mess, this conference realignment is going to cause even more outrage now than there ever was.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 05:25 PM
Why would Nebraska feel any regret toward their move? Because of splitting up the OU/NU rivalry? I'm pretty sure the BIG 12 did that in 1996, and it's not like we don't swing a big enough stick that if OUr programs and fans truly wanted an annual OU/NU game we couldn't get it.

NU fits that Northern geographic, and with the BIG 10, not only do they make more money (the whole reason anyone would want to go), their football program with good coaching will be able to tap into the riches of BIG 10 talent pools instead of taking sloppy fourths out of Texas.

Actually, I'm kinda happy for NU and their fans... it was a good move. If you're on a sinking ship and a chopper flies down to pick you up... what the hell are you gonna do?

I'll give Nebraska some cred--at least they have a spine and were not afraid to stand up to Texas. They weren't afraid to make their own path independent of what every other Big 12 member does. Mr. Castiglione and Mr. Boren, are you watching?

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 05:38 PM
I don't think Nebraska's decision has anything to do with spine. The Big 10 is the most profitable collegiate athletic conference in the country by a longshot.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think Nebraska's decision has anything to do with spine. The Big 10 is the most profitable collegiate athletic conference in the country by a longshot.

Sure they are--compared to the Big 12, which is now on life support. But not compared to the SEC--Their CURRENT tv deal is worth slightly more, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as by a 'longshot'.

Scott D
6/13/2010, 05:59 PM
Sure they are--compared to the Big 12, which is now on life support. But not compared to the SEC--Their CURRENT tv deal is worth slightly more, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as by a 'longshot'.

Nebraska's move made sense for them because of the long term animosity toward Texas. Moving to the Big-10 allows them to fit back in their regional rivalry with Iowa, while tapping into that Big-10 network money. Besides, until Michigan gets rid of RichRod, Ohio State is going to need someone in that conference to beat them out of a Rose Bowl bid.

Sooner Eclipse
6/13/2010, 06:07 PM
No offense, but that is delusional. Everybody's out to get the SEC. Pulleeze.

However, I do think aTm should go to the SEC and I think ultimately it would be the best fit for OU as well. If both went I think it would give both the advantage in recruiting over UT in Texas. This is what UT wants to avoid. It has nothing to do with the SECs expansion other than UT wants to ensure that it remains the premier brand inside the states boundaries. They've seen what happens when a more competitive conference makes in-roads into their territory. (See UTs downward path and OUs upward path in the seventies and eighties) From their POV this rectified itself in the nineties by combining the conferences. They can’t risk it again.

This has everything to do with UT's arrogance and narcissism

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 06:32 PM
No offense, but that is delusional. Everybody's out to get the SEC. Pulleeze.
However, I do think aTm should go to the SEC and I think ultimately it would be the best fit for OU as well. If both went I think it would give both the advantage in recruiting over UT in Texas. This is what UT wants to avoid. It has nothing to do with the SECs expansion other than UT wants to ensure that it remains the premier brand inside the states boundaries. They've seen what happens when a more competitive conference makes in-roads into their territory. (See UTs downward path and OUs upward path in the seventies and eighties) From their POV this rectified itself in the nineties by combining the conferences. They can’t risk it again.

This has everything to do with UT's arrogance and narcissism

No it's not, at least not in the sense that those two conferences see the domination that the SEC has and they naturally want more of the financial pie. It's competition--it's also the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' at work also.

Sooner Eclipse
6/13/2010, 06:49 PM
The last 6-8 years the SEC has been on fire but everything is cyclical. Prior to that the hot conf was the B12 (00-03) and before that the Big E and ACC (UM and FSU). The biggest problem w the SEC is their overinflated sense of self worth. Just because ESPN blows one of you nightly between Aug and Jan is no reason to get the big head. Pretty soon it will come around and you'll be home on a sat nite after the big loss rubbin one out to ESPNs College Gameday wrapup blowin some other conference.

OUinFLA
6/13/2010, 06:55 PM
Too bad that guy wasn't on the Warren Commission.
Could have saved us a lot of time.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 07:19 PM
The last 6-8 years the SEC has been on fire but everything is cyclical. Prior to that the hot conf was the B12 (00-03) and before that the Big E and ACC (UM and FSU). The biggest problem w the SEC is their overinflated sense of self worth. Just because ESPN blows one of you nightly between Aug and Jan is no reason to get the big head. Pretty soon it will come around and you'll be home on a sat nite after the big loss rubbin one out to ESPNs College Gameday wrapup blowin some other conference.

If you really feel that way, then why do you think OU should come to our league and is a better fit in the SEC? I think 'thou dost protest too much'...

Sooner Eclipse
6/13/2010, 08:02 PM
Well, I hate the term but, culture. And traditions. Travel distances to the majority of SEC teams are clearly better. Mainly culture. UC-B and Stanford disgust me for the most part. Look, none of this really appeals to me but neither did the B12 merger and and it took 14 years for UT to bully their way into killing this conference as well. I like the equal revenue sharing idea. (See the NFL) I also like the idea of being rid of UT in conference. OU will add something to any conference due to national appeal, but we don't add enough TV sets in OK and dont get credit for carrying a portion of the DFW market.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 08:07 PM
Well, I hate the term but, culture. And traditions. Travel distances to the majority of SEC teams are clearly better. Mainly culture. UC-B and Stanford disgust me for the most part. Look, none of this really appeals to me but neither did the B12 merger and and it took 14 years for UT to bully their way into killing this conference as well. I like the equal revenue sharing idea. (See the NFL) I also like the idea of being rid of UT in conference. OU will add something to any conference due to national appeal, but we don't add enough TV sets in OK and dont get credit for carrying a portion of the DFW market.

And I think that's one reason the SEC is courting you guys like crazy. Too bad your administrators don't think like your fan base. I think this is one case where the latter has it right and the PTB are dead wrong and are about to make a very bone-headed decision.

Sooner Eclipse
6/13/2010, 08:18 PM
I agree, but it ain't up to me. OU will be alright where ever we go. I see this as a chance to once again rid ourselves of UT in conference. OU and aTm to the SEC scares the crap outta UT.

Fraggle145
6/13/2010, 09:32 PM
Texas A&M is given way to much influence in that scenario, IMO.

TMcGee86
6/13/2010, 10:10 PM
This makes absolutely zero sense to me. And frankly, even though it's written from a retardedly pro-SEC perspective, it's actually giving the SEC too little credit.

Why should the SEC care if the Big 10 and Pac10 take the big12 apart. It's not like it ruins the SEC.

All the SEC would have to do is add FSU, Miami, Clemson, and Georgia Tech and they are as powerful as either the Big10 or Pac10 superconferences.

Just because it doesn't "expand their footprint" doesn't mean ****.

When I read the title and started to read the article I thought the conspiracy was going to be how the Big10 and Pac10 seeing the writing on the wall concerning playoffs and went nuclear on expansion to keep the balance of power in their favor and block any future bid to usher in a playoff.

That would have made sense. And considering the scuttlebutt has been that they are the two confs that have been anti-playoff thus far, if they wanted to ensure it never comes to fruition, the best way to do that would be to create a four conference future and control two of those conferences.

cheezyq
6/14/2010, 10:32 AM
And I think that's one reason the SEC is courting you guys like crazy. Too bad your administrators don't think like your fan base. I think this is one case where the latter has it right and the PTB are dead wrong and are about to make a very bone-headed decision.

SB, I like Bama as our Crimson brothers in the SEC, but OU doesn't fit in the SEC as well as everyone seems to think.

1. Money - The proposed Pac-16 has a larger population footprint than the SEC, and potentially would net OU a lot more money.
2. Academics - Face it, there isn't a school other than Vandy in the SEC that gives a crap about academics. OU (as well as several other Big 12 schools) have progressively grown their academic reputations over the course of the Big 12's existence. The Pac-16 is a better fit for a program that chooses to have SOME focus on academics.
3. Recruiting - Moving to the Pac-16 opens up recruiting on the west coast to OU, giving it access to two major recruiting hotbeds - for more than just one sport.
4. Athletics - The Big 12 as an athletic conference was probably the best in the NCAA across all sports. The SEC has a solid hold on football, the ACC/Big East have solid holds on basketball...but the Big 12 has been competitive with the top conferences in both those sports, along with being the top conference in several other sports.
While the realignment is mostly about money and football, there are other factors as well, and overall athletics places OU as a MUCH better fit in the Pac-16 than the football-centric SEC.

It would be bone-headed for Boren to say, "We're a football school and we need to go hang out with those football crazies in the SEC". On a number of levels, OU stands to benefit far more by going to the Pac-16. And please don't say it's about being afraid of SEC competition, as we all know it's crap. The Pac-16 will be FAR more competitive than the Big 12 was and place it squarely on par, if not superior, to the SEC in football as well as the other sports.

The SEC might continue to rule football. But the Pac-16 will rule all college athletics in general, and will give the SEC all it can handle in football.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 10:46 AM
This is not about the friggin SEC. The B10 started this crap because they somehow want to force Notre Dame into joining the B10. They exploited the divisions in the B12 to grab Neb and the Pac 10 saw their chance to move.

The problem for the SEC is that * no way, no how was ever going to affiliate with the SEC.

Scott D
6/14/2010, 02:10 PM
sure they will Bourbon...they just need assurances that they get the biggest cut of the greenbacks.

Sooner Eclipse
6/14/2010, 03:46 PM
I agree, but it ain't up to me. OU will be alright where ever we go. I see this as a chance to once again rid ourselves of UT in conference. OU and aTm to the SEC scares the crap outta UT.

I was wrong. We'd be OK in the PAC or SEC. Staying in this conference after UT just pulled off the coup of a lifetime, securing more power, control and monies over the rest, is just asinine.

OU ADMINS - please pull the pin on this abortion of a conference. :mad: