PDA

View Full Version : Why does Bebee-brain still have a job?

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 02:40 PM
And why aren't more of you ticked about this?

It should have taken roughly 2.8 seconds after Jim Delaney offered up that the Big 10 was looking to expand that we fired back with, "Funny you should mention that, Jim, because the Big XII is looking to go to XIV and we think Illinois and Iowa would make very nice fits, and we think we can offer a better brand of football and negotiate a bigger TV contract than you can."

We should have been taking them head-on from the start, and instead we sat back and watched the Japanese Empire bomb Pearl Harbor.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 03:20 PM

It should have taken roughly 2.8 seconds after Jim Delaney offered up that the Big 10 was looking to expand that we fired back with, "Funny you should mention that, Jim, because the Big XII is looking to go to XIV and we think Illinois and Iowa would make very nice fits, and we think we can offer a better brand of football and negotiate a bigger TV contract than you can."

"Have you spoken to Illinois or Iowa?"

"No."

(smiles)

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 04:43 PM
Beebe attended Walla Walla Community College from 1975 to 1977, and then transferred on to California State Polytechnic University (Cal Poly-Pomona) where he earned his Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, in social sciences in June 1979. Beebe received his law degree from the University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1982 and is a member of the Washington State Bar Association.

Prior to joining the Big 12, Beebe was commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference from 1989-2003. Upon his appointment, he became the youngest leader of a Division I football-playing conference.

Dan Beebe was named the third commissioner of the Big 12 Conference on September 5, 2007, after serving as senior associate commissioner and chief operating officer for the league since February 2003.

May I be so bold to ask how he ever got the job? He had never been around a major college program until he landed in the Big 12.

bluedogok
6/13/2010, 05:13 PM
May I be so bold to ask how he ever got the job? He had never been around a major college program until he landed in the Big 12.
Maybe some wanted a weak commissioner, just like MLB owners wanted and got with Bud Selig. Some people think they own the sandbox and don't like others telling them what they can and can't do in it.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 05:15 PM
I would have fired him already.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 05:39 PM

We should have been taking them head-on from the start, and instead we sat back and watched the Japanese Empire bomb Pearl Harbor.

Because that bolded part is wrong and the Big 10 knows it.

Oh, and the actual chances of the Big 12 talking two Big 10 teams into taking a TV revenue cut of nearly 50% is so low it's hilarious.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 06:11 PM
Maybe some wanted a weak commissioner, just like MLB owners wanted and got with Bud Selig. Some people think they own the sandbox and don't like others telling them what they can and can't do in it.

Bet your are correct -- if they wanted weak, they got one!

Veritas
6/13/2010, 08:12 PM
Maybe Texas wanted a weak commissioner, just like MLB owners wanted and got with Bud Selig. Some people think they own the sandbox and don't like others telling them what they can and can't do in it.
FTFY.

Texas is squarely to blame for the current state of affairs. They ran the SWC into the ground with their bullying and 15 years later they've done the same with the Big 12. But they've pushed things to far, and for the first time since any of us have been alive, Texas is on the verge of having to either join a conference that will force them to come to the *conference's* terms (the PAC 10) or try to hold together a shaky 10 team conference where their lil' brother A&M is suddenly standing up for themselves.

soonerhubs
6/13/2010, 08:17 PM
FTFY.

Texas is squarely to blame for the current state of affairs. They ran the SWC into the ground with their bullying and 15 years later they've done the same with the Big 12. But they've pushed things to far, and for the first time since any of us have been alive, Texas is on the verge of having to either join a conference that will force them to come to the *conference's* terms (the PAC 10) or try to hold together a shaky 10 team conference where their lil' brother A&M is suddenly standing up for themselves.

This!!!!

How some of you are not comprehending Texas' role in all this as the abusive member of the Big 12 family blows my mind.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:18 PM
All the while OU's athletic director and President are saying little! Never a good idea to get out in front on something like this. Aggie lite sending a letter to TX that they want to be with them still cracks me up! Please, please, please pick me!

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:20 PM
Now Bebee's wants to give TX the right for their own TV channel to keep them along with everyone else he knows cannot do it and I say no way! Tired of Bebee, tired of the Big 12 and tired of the whine from some of the schools that contribute little.

bluedogok
6/13/2010, 08:29 PM
FTFY.
I was trying to be "nice" :D

MyT Oklahoma
6/13/2010, 09:30 PM
This!!!!

How some of you are not comprehending Texas' role in all this as the abusive member of the Big 12 family blows my mind.

^^ I also agree with this.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 09:35 PM
Because that bolded part is wrong and the Big 10 knows it.

Oh, and the actual chances of the Big 12 talking two Big 10 teams into taking a TV revenue cut of nearly 50% is so low it's hilarious.

Yeah yeah yeah... My point is they sat back and did.... NOTHING.

Even a bold-faced lie-based pissing contest would have been better than what the Big XII got. Which was a steaming heaping pile of inaction.

He effectively gathered everyone around the campfire to sing kumbaya when he should have been organizing a panty-raid of the girls camp.

KantoSooner
6/14/2010, 12:08 PM
While I don't want to defend Beebe (who apparently took the chances of a serious attack on the B12 about as seriously as the US military in Honolulu around 4 a.m. on 12/7/41), the deal was pretty much done when the last teevee contract was signed.
And that contract gave us about what our 'share' of the national market implied we should get. (roughly 60% of what the SEC or B10 got).
At that time, he, or his predecessors, needed to make sure everybody in B12 land was happy making less than the SEC or B10.....or needed to get to work raiding other markets to justify a higher payout.
Failing that, the present imbroglio was only a matter of time.
Not that he hasn't done his level best to make things worse.

Eielson
6/14/2010, 12:34 PM
"Funny you should mention that, Jim, because the Big XII is looking to go to XIV and we think Illinois and Iowa would make very nice fits, and we think we can offer a better brand of football and negotiate a bigger TV contract than you can."

The problem is...we couldn't.

You do know that the Japs lost that war, right?

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 12:38 PM
Go, Beebe, go!

Getting things done.

Veritas
6/14/2010, 12:54 PM
Failing that, the present imbroglio was only a matter of time.
Not that he hasn't done his level best to make things worse.
There's no need for talk like that. This is a family football board.

KantoSooner
6/14/2010, 01:06 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw imbroglio and sub in 'Brouhaha'....or perhaps 'kerfuffle'. Better?

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2010, 01:21 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw imbroglio and sub in 'Brouhaha'....or perhaps 'kerfuffle'. Better?

There's a cabal involved in this somewhere....

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2010, 01:24 PM
You do know that the Japs lost that war, right?

And it took an atomic bomb... a device of which we are bereft in the Big XII, metaphorically, thanks to our version of Lord Chamberlain.

RaiderAficionado
6/14/2010, 02:06 PM
Seriously, why even have a conference commissioner if UT is going to dictate to all the other schools how TV contracts will be handled, if a school can have its own TV network, etc....?

Why even show up at all - just subscribe to the newsletter and go about your business.

Dio
6/14/2010, 02:18 PM
Why does Bebee-brain still have a job?

Because he is the perfect "useful idiot" to do Deloss Dodds' bidding.