PDA

View Full Version : New proposal to save Big 12 being considered by Texas

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 01:56 PM
June 13, 2010

Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

It might be a long shot.

But three different sources at Big 12 South schools being targeted by the Pac-10 told Orangebloods.com Sunday morning commissioner Dan Beebe's assurances that a new TV deal can be reached on par with the SEC's $17 million/school for the 10 remaining schools in the Big 12 is in play and being considered by Texas.

Associated Press

Dan Beebe's plan says the Big 12-Lite can get to $17 mil/school in its next TV deal in 2011.
"My plan is about what's best for the citizens in this part of the country and for the student-athletes and not having this section of the country with all its major institutions connected to conferences that aren't even here," Beebe told Orangebloods.com on Sunday before returning to what he called his "War Room" on no sleep from the previous night.

Having Texas consider anything other than the Pac-10 at this point is more than could be said on Friday. That's when Nebraska announced it was bolting for the Big Ten and Colorado had a press conference with its new commissioner - Larry Scott of the Pac-10.

Excerpt: Read More at http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093803

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 01:59 PM
10 teams, all play each other.

9 games
3 non conference

i would have zero problem with that

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 01:59 PM
Will someone tell me how a 10-team league without NE would gain us points and with no championship how does that benefit us getting a BCS bid. Utah ends up in the PAC 10 and now they have a championship game and we don't? Same with Big 10! The days of the Little 12 getting two BCS bids looks out the door so why is this an advantage?

How does our standing as a conference go up with less?

Explanation please!

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:01 PM
but seriously what if the big 12 said F IT. TCU, BYU, you in or out?

badger
6/13/2010, 02:03 PM
NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU!

I hope I've made my stance on adding any additional Texas schools clear. ;)

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:04 PM
who cares, rather have them, than leave to go play with some diryt liberals on the west coast.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 02:04 PM
I would agree with that and is what should have happened immediately IMHO! My biggest problem is once again telling TX they can have their own network while in another conference they cannot. Telling the rest of us we can have our own network is a joke.

At one time I heard Air Force and Utah because of Denver and Salt Lake City but BYU would work. I wouldn't care about TCU but think the rest of the teams outside of TX would balk including TX as they used to beat them.

This is going to be an interesting couple of days!

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 02:05 PM
This just delays the inevitable. If there's anything true about this it is because Texas would get more control. You really want that? In the PAC 10 or SEC Texas would get less control.

But in 2 or 3 years ND will probably join the Big 10 and the Big 12 will have to disband anyway.

Sooner5030
Need 12 teams for CCG. Options worth exploring:

1.BYU
2.AFA
3.Memphis
4.CSU
5.Utah

SoonerMom2
NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU! NO TO TCU!

I hope I've made my stance on adding any additional Texas schools clear. ;)

100% clear -- you are in good company I don't see any of the TX schools we have now wanting TCU either so it would be unanimous!

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe we should take Memphis and get the deal that Fed Ex Chair is offering $10M a year to put Memphis in a big time conference! :)

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:07 PM
Need 12 teams for CCG. Options worth exploring:

1.BYU
2.AFA
3.Memphis
4.CSU
5.Utah

I'd say overall, TCU is a better sports program than the 5 listed.

My Votes are TCU and Air Force. Screw the Mormons, and Colorado st.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 02:08 PM
This just delays the inevitable. If there's anything true about this it is because Texas would get more control. You really want that? In the PAC 10 or SEC Texas would get less control.

But in 2 or 3 years ND will probably join the Big 10 and the Big 12 will have to disband anyway.

That was my first thought -- TX with the only network in the conference just like Notre Dame? That will give them a lot more power.

Maybe we should rethink and go with A&M to SEC and let OSU join up with their orange brethren in the PAC 10! :) That is as good of scenario as any since they wrote Texas they want to be with them.

Sooner5030
6/13/2010, 02:10 PM
I'd say overall, TCU is a better sports program than the 5 listed.

Agree with the caveat that I am not worried about securing the DFW market. That's why Salt Lake and Memphis have a premium even though TCU is a better program.

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:12 PM
i mean i respect the other sports, but this is all about football ovbiously. Football makes college athletics possible.

so when i doubt, u have to make a football decision .

but i don't really care. My first choice is to stay in the big 12.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 02:13 PM
If we stay as the Big 12, I want the $10M a year from Fed Ex Chair to have Memphis -- cannot beat that free money!

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:15 PM
Memphis wouldn't be bad.

i dunno if we are really worried about geographics at this point.

if us or Okie st have to go to the north to make it work, than lets do it.

we can still do like the SEC does. Always play texas. or something like that. 1 team from east and west always play every year, no matter what.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 02:15 PM
I would like to stay with the Big 12 too but Nebraska and Colorado finished that off. There's just 2 teams and a bunch of bad teams. You really think this would stop all realignment? At best it delays it 2 years till Notre Dame joins the Big 10 then all hell will break loose and OU/Texas will have to choose between the PAC and SEC again and we have the same threads 2 years from now. It's better to be proactive and start the dominoes falling.

PLaw
6/13/2010, 02:17 PM
On par with the current SEC package isn't going to cut it. It needs to be good enough to be on par with the NEXT SEC package or you will still be sucking hind teat.

Boomer

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:18 PM
well in 2008 we had like 4 prime time night games in a row.

Winning helps with the tv too. hehe

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 02:19 PM
I would like to stay with the Big 12 too but Nebraska and Colorado finished that off. There's just 2 teams and a bunch of bad teams. You really think this would stop all realignment? At best it delays it 2 years till Notre Dame joins the Big 10 then all hell will break loose and OU/Texas will have to choose between the PAC and SEC again and we have the same threads 2 years from now. It's better to be proactive and start the dominoes falling.

I would like to see it remain but it is going to break up eventually and MO will be still there looking all the time. Time to get it over with now. I have been ignoring my political blogs as I keep being drawn to this -- want it over this week.

Personally don't want OU to remain in a conference that Beebee pulls numbers out of the sky. Two bids to a BCS Bowl would be unlikely for a conference with the Big 2 and little 10 if they added more. Big 12 shouldn't have been caught flatfooted as MO has been whining for a long time they want to leave.

SoonerLB
6/13/2010, 02:21 PM
Seems like it might be a little too late for Dan Beebe to finally be doing his job ...... just sayin'. ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 02:23 PM
Sounds viable only to a degree. The Sporting News article fleshes it out a bit more (sorry, you'll have to look it up) and the idea itself commits a gaffe.

It states that a big key to this plan of keeping the 10 teams together would be not only a re-negotiated TV contract (please not Fox again), but each school would be free to form their own TV network.

That's the first problem. T*xas has the tv sets, national interest, and alumni base to pull that off... and only T*xas does. We don't get any of that money.

Second, I believe it says (I was reading fast) Bebee notes that the conference could decide whether to keep or do away with the title game.

And that's the gaffe: If Bebee did say that, then that is a good indication of either how tired he is or how incompetent. Per NCAA rules you can only have a conference championship game if you have 12 or more teams.

So all at once he is offering that the conference could make it on 10 teams, yet is offering a scenario where we do have to expand back to 12.

Having said that, does anyone here have any faith in Bebee or the Big 12 office that they are competent enough to get us that $17-20 millon per school contract? I think it is a long shot at best.

That means we need a little financial kicker through a conference champioship game.

So we're back to finding 2 more teams to add. And you know those are going to come from Texas (my guess Houston, TCU, or SMU.)

So you say, "Great! More exposure for OU in Texas... helps recruiting!"

Wrong. 2 more Texas teams get added and all of a sudden we're playing in the Big XII North, with less games either in or against Texas teams. (And we have to pray they have the good sense to do an unbalanced schedule this time so we can keep the yearly Texas rivalry. And as dumb as they were not setting that up in the original Big XII so that we are playing Nebraska every year, I have no confidence they'll think of it.)

By the way, they said with the loss of NU, that was only 8.6% of the value of the Big XII lost. Bullrip.

That's probably at least a 1/4 (if you consider NU, OU, UT, and aTm as the television sets drivers) of the true value of the Big XII lost, and the TV execs know that.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 02:25 PM
I'm guessing they are basing the 8.6% off population base or school fan base. Something like that. Nebraska's National TV ratings are much bigger. And closer to 15% at least. It would be like saying losing OU only costs the Big 12 5%.

noobalicious
6/13/2010, 02:47 PM
I think this is all a big smokescreen to make us appreciate that they "did everything they could do to salvage the lovable Big 12" despite the "traitors" from Colorado and Nebraska. It's just politics at this point.

No way can Beebe offer us what the Pac 10 can at this point, and the same goes for Texas.

I could see Texas sticking it out though and trying to get their own TV network in the watered down Big 12. If that happens I hope we have enough sense to go to the SEC or Pac 10.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 02:54 PM
There's a post on WEARESC and he did the math of a P10 network. The PAC 10 will get an estimated 23 million. Add in Bowl money an it's closer to 25 mil per team. There's no way 17 million would be close to keeping the conference together.

TXBOOMER
6/13/2010, 02:57 PM
The Big 12 is grasping at straws. Lets get this Pac 10 thing done. I could care less about any other school other than OU. The Pac 10 move is good for OU football IMHO.

Sooner5030
6/13/2010, 02:58 PM
There's a post on WEARESC and he did the math of a P10 network. The PAC 10 will get an estimated 23 million. Add in Bowl money an it's closer to 25 mil per team.

Yeah ok....the PAC__ would have to go from a ~$53 million contract to like $400 million. Not gonna happen.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/13/2010, 03:01 PM
Dan Beebe is a day late and a few million dollars short. Any proposal that gives Texas MORE power than they already have is a terrible idea. I have to believe Castiglone and others realize this.

There isn't any good options, but this option may be the worst. These proposals to add Air Force, TCU, Utah, etc. is desperation and would do nothing to help our university long term. I'll believe this "on-par" TV deal without Nebraska when I see it.

Collier11
6/13/2010, 03:03 PM
The Big 12 would be completely viable without neb, since 01 neb hasnt brought anything to the table anyway and this conference was just fine

Collier11
6/13/2010, 03:05 PM
"A Big 12 AD says Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have opposed the B12 title game and rest of the league would be happy to dump it."

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah ok....the PAC__ would have to go from a ~$53 million contract to like $400 million. Not gonna happen.

Guy did a model based off the Big 10 network. And he even went a little more conservative route. He also added the revenue a Conference Title game would add.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:06 PM
"A Big 12 AD says Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have opposed the B12 title game and rest of the league would be happy to dump it."

That would take away revenue for the conference. A 10 team Big 12 would be meant for disaster and just wouldn't last.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 03:07 PM
On par with the current SEC package isn't going to cut it. It needs to be good enough to be on par with the NEXT SEC package or you will still be sucking hind teat.

Boomer

This.

And I don't get the sentimental attachment to the Big XII. The league is only what, 16 years old? Who are our big traditional rivals in conference? Nebraska, Texas, and OSU? Nebraska already screwed that one up, and Texas and OSU will most likely move with us. I don't buy that you guys are getting all teary-eyed over not getting to play Iowa State and Baylor regularly.

Bring on the Pac-16.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 03:07 PM

Boomer

This.

And I don't get the sentimental attachment to the Big XII. The league is only what, 16 years old? Who are our big traditional rivals in conference? Nebraska, Texas, and OSU? Nebraska already screwed that one up, and Texas and OSU will most likely move with us. I don't buy that you guys are getting all teary-eyed over not getting to play Iowa State and Baylor regularly.

Bring on the Pac-16.

mehip
6/13/2010, 03:10 PM
Bah! The Big 12 is circling the drain, let it die with dignity.

Without somebody like Neb in the north to at least challenge the schools in Austin and Norman it is still a clown car of a division. It sucks, but the Huskers are irreplaceable. Hell, even the Buffs had a solid program before the Big 12.

And, didn't all of this start because Misery and Neb don't like the revenue sharing situation with Texas? Lets put a fork in this marriage of convenience and let the likes of Baylor and ISU fend for themselves.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 03:10 PM
Save the conference?

No!

No! No! No!

If we save the Big XII, then every year UT will threaten this or that and we will end up being their lap dog.

No freakin' way. I love the conference, but it's time to give it a proper Viking funeral.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:12 PM
Save the conference?

No!

No! No! No!

If we save the Big XII, then every year UT will threaten this or that and we will end up being their lap dog.

No freakin' way. I love the conference, but it's time to give it a proper Viking funeral.

If Nebraska didn't bolt I understand this sentiment. We could replace Colorado with BYU and Mizzou with Memphis and be just fine. Even better than fine if this guy wants to pay 10 mil for Memphis. But now Memphis doesn't replace Nebraska even with 10 Mil.

GimmeRed
6/13/2010, 03:14 PM
There's a post on WEARESC and he did the math of a P10 network. The PAC 10 will get an estimated 23 million. Add in Bowl money an it's closer to 25 mil per team. There's no way 17 million would be close to keeping the conference together.

You are thinking about OU. This isn't about OU.

If Texas could get 17 million and another 8 million from BevoTV there is no way it moves to the Pac.

You are joined at the hip,and you don't get a vote.

Sooner5030
6/13/2010, 03:15 PM
This.

Bring on the Pac-16.

You don't have to 'get' it as some of us have a different preference. I don't get all the "oh crap...PANIC...we have to join th PAC__ now or else". We are the 12th largest athletic budget in the NCAA, 2nd in the BIG12 and would remain 2nd in the PAC__ (ahead of USC). Conference TV contracts only accounts for 10% of our revenue. There is no reason why we cannot take our time and explore all our options first.

badger
6/13/2010, 03:15 PM

Without the CCG...

2009: Texas unquestioned heading into championship game, Nebbish has no chance of at-large.

2008: Oklahoma and Texas get BCS berths, one gets into the title game. Mizzou has no chance of at-large.

2007: Mizzou has shot as championship game, Mizzou and Kansas to the BCS. Oklahoma and Texas have slight chance of BCS berths.

2006: Oklahoma gets BCS berth. Texas at-large, no shot for Nebraska to get at-large.

2005: Texas is the only BCS-bound team, no question. I'd mention Colorado, but I think they lost that game by like 70 points or so.

2004: OU in title game, Texas gets at-large, nothing else worth mentioning.

Skipping 2003 because that's one of the few years a CCG actually mattered...

2002: OU in. Colorado gets no shot at at-large.

2001: Texas in nat'l title game. Colorado or Nebraska get chosen for at-large berth.

2000: OU in national title game. KSU and Nebraska get consideration for at-large.

1999: Nebraksa in the title game.

1998: KSU in the title game (it was ranked #2). Texas A&M might get at-large consideration.

1997: Nebraska in the title game. Texas A&M considered for at-large.

1996: Nebraska (ranked third) gets BCS berth. Texas, which was unranked, would not get BCS consideration.

Overall, the Big 12 game has only had a few upsets and mattered only a few times. If it was more relevant to the nat'l title picture, with two contenders facing off, the coaches might actually like it.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:16 PM
You are thinking about OU. This isn't about OU.

If Texas could get 17 million and another 8 million from BevoTV there is no way it moves to the Pac.

You are joined at the hip,and you don't get a vote.
And I doubt there would be enough votes from the rest of the conference to allow it for Texas.

Collier11
6/13/2010, 03:17 PM
That would take away revenue for the conference. A 10 team Big 12 would be meant for disaster and just wouldn't last.

If that were the case then why would OU and tex, the two power brokers in the conference be considering it?

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:20 PM
If that were the case then why would OU and tex, the two power brokers in the conference be considering it?

I don't think they really are discussing this they are just trying to get info out there that they tried to save the conference but the math just didn't work.

Collier11
6/13/2010, 03:23 PM
I guess we will know for sure early next week, I dont think it is out of the question though. OU and tex lose a lot of power by going to the Pac 10 and it becomes alot harder to play for natl titles

Sooner5030
6/13/2010, 03:25 PM
and OKC loses out on a lot of revenue

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 03:28 PM
What will happen when ND goes to the B10? All this realignment talk comes back again in 2 years and we are forced to do the same thing. The good thing about this is that in the end we will have a playoff and college football will be better for it. But let's go ahead and start the ball rolling instead of sitting around and being forced to join a conference in a few years. ND will eventually cave to the Big 10. It's just a matter of when.

soonerloyal
6/13/2010, 03:38 PM

What are we, Notre Dame? I have little respect for a team that doesn't have to do diddly against their peers, just show up & be handed a post-season game simply because they didn't totally suck canal water.

Geez, they need to s*** or get off the pot. Just do it, pick a farkin' conference and let's gear up to kick ***. This is getting ridiculous. :mad:

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, at this point I think all the "How do we save the Big 12" talk is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 03:53 PM
What will happen when ND goes to the B10? All this realignment talk comes back again in 2 years and we are forced to do the same thing. The good thing about this is that in the end we will have a playoff and college football will be better for it.

I'm not sure about a playoff. With the Pac and Big expanding, they just might decide to go back to the traditional Rose Bowl alignments. With OU, TX, and NU in the fold, that game would be huge.

soonerduke
6/13/2010, 03:55 PM
It's a bad idea to stay in a conference whose commissioner is Dan Beebe.

GimmeRed
6/13/2010, 04:04 PM
And I doubt there would be enough votes from the rest of the conference to allow it for Texas.

It is already allowed and is also part of the package that Beebe is proposing.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, at this point I think all the "How do we save the Big 12" talk is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Maybe that is their way to say they tried to save the Big 12 and then they don't have to pay any money to leave -- it is over and no way to save it.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/13/2010, 07:11 PM
I've seen a report that the Mountain West might prefer a merger with the remaining five Big XII teams (KU, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State, Mizzou) in order to (1) preserve the Big XII BCS bid and (2) force the leaving schools to pay the fees.

So, in that respect, the Big XII may survive with Beebe at the helm, but it will be the Mountain West that was invisioned if the South exodus occurs.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 07:13 PM
You can thank TAMU for this.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 07:15 PM
You can thank TAMU for this.

OU/Texas were never going to stay in the Big 12 same with TAMU.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 07:16 PM
The new rumor is that A&M is going to the SEC. KU is going to the PAC 10.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 07:16 PM
OU/Texas were never going to stay in the Big 12 same with TAMU.

Agreed, BUT that is the reason for this completely fake deathbed resuscitation attempt of the Big 12 and Texas saying that they are 'considering' it. What a joke...

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 07:20 PM
Agreed, BUT that is the reason for this completely fake deathbed resuscitation attempt of the Big 12 and Texas saying that they are 'considering' it. What a joke...
They want to be able to say at the PC when the PAC 10 starts that they "tried to save the Big 12 but just couldn't in it's current form" or some bs like that.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think they really are discussing this they are just trying to get info out there that they tried to save the conference but the math just didn't work.

I agree this is a publicity move that they tried to save the conference but it wasn't feasable. Just like that Conference Championship rumor that Mack Brown and Stoops didn't like the game but it was because not everyone had to play one like the PAC 10 and Big 10. You can bet money they have no intention of going down to ten teams and not be allowed to have a conference championship. Who are they going to get to replace NE and CO -- not much pickings out there and why the PAC 10 came for a whole group of schools.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2010, 09:37 PM

As I recall, all the Pac 10 tv contract (atleast their ESPN/ABC) exires after this season, same as the Big 12. That's why the conferences had discusses have that series.

Stitch Face
6/13/2010, 09:39 PM
I like(d) the Big XII. But the possibilities for some great football with Nebraska, Michigan, and OSU in the Big Whatever and OU, TX, and USC in the Pac Thingy are truly epic.

TMcGee86
6/13/2010, 09:58 PM
It's a bad idea to stay in a conference whose commissioner is Dan Beebe.

Yes, God dayum mfing this.

Why in the hell would anyone want to stay in a conf with this asshat in charge? If for nothing else I hope the Big12 burns in hell for hiring Beebee.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, God dayum mfing this.

Why in the hell would anyone want to stay in a conf with this asshat in charge? If for nothing else I hope the Big12 burns in hell for hiring Beebee.

Best post of the day!

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 10:10 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nKa-dM7PvEo/SdJVrRQtrdI/AAAAAAAADjQ/M8u5HksNuQ0/s400/viking+funeral.jpg

gunsalus
6/13/2010, 10:22 PM
I live in California now but have been a lifelong OU fan. While I would love to have OU in the PAC # so I could watch them play in person occasionally and on TV nearly every week, I hope everyone in Oklahoma and all of Big 12 country realize that the left coasters think you are all at best dumb rednecks and most likely evil too. Blue state political ideology is the theology of the coastal schools. OU and the other Big 12 schools will always be considered ignorant embarrassments to the conference even if we do kick their butts on the gridiron.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 10:29 PM
They'll have a tough time figuring out Texas, then. Austin's full of more hippies than Haight-Ashbury.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 10:42 PM
I live in California now but have been a lifelong OU fan. While I would love to have OU in the PAC # so I could watch them play in person occasionally and on TV nearly every week, I hope everyone in Oklahoma and all of Big 12 country realize that the left coasters think you are all at best dumb rednecks and most likely evil too. Blue state political ideology is the theology of the coastal schools. OU and the other Big 12 schools will always be considered ignorant embarrassments to the conference even if we do kick their butts on the gridiron.

Why would that influence our desire to join the conference?

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 10:57 PM
Why would that influence our desire to join the conference?

I have to agree with that. I hate most of the other teams in the Big 12, too. Colorado and Tech fans are obnoxious, KU fans are insufferable during basketball season, KSU fans are a Bill Snyder cult, I hate Mizzou - and double during basketball season, don't even get me STARTED on Aggie, Aggy, Sand Aggie, and the Bevo posse...

About the only non-OU fans in the Big 12 I actually LIKE are Baylor fans.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:00 PM
Sic'em just got wood...

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:03 PM
And has anyone asked "Why didn't/ doesn't the big 12 make a play for neuter damn?" I don't love them, but they'd bring a huge market and tell * to shut the **** up at the dinner table.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 11:15 PM
And has anyone asked "Why didn't/ doesn't the big 12 make a play for neuter damn?" I don't love them, but they'd bring a huge market and tell * to shut the **** up at the dinner table.

If the Big-10 can't reel them in, the Big XII couldn't.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not saying whether it could or could not be done, but why has no one mentioned it? I haven't seen it. The way I see it, ND liked being independent and really didn't want to have to share the table with huge schools like Mich and tosu. With the big 12, they'd only have to bump heads with * when the pissing contest ensued. I'm looking at this as purely as a balance thingy- we could try to bring in BYU as another north school and tcu as a south school to go to 14 teams. I don't know, I'm tired and grasping at straws as I don't like feeling that we're walking around carrying *'s books for them.

delhalew
6/13/2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not saying whether it could or could not be done, but why has no one mentioned it? I haven't seen it. The way I see it, ND liked being independent and really didn't want to have to share the table with huge schools like Mich and tosu. With the big 12, they'd only have to bump heads with * when the pissing contest ensued. I'm looking at this as purely as a balance thingy- we could try to bring in BYU as another north school and tcu as a south school to go to 14 teams. I don't know, I'm tired and grasping at straws as I don't like feeling that we're walking around carrying *'s books for them.

Who would want to put up with delusional Notre Dame fans? Let the Big 10 beg them to join every 10 years or so.

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:44 PM
Who would want to put up with delusional Notre Dame fans? Let the Big 10 beg them to join every 10 years or so.

We don't have delusional osu and * fans?

sooneron
6/13/2010, 11:46 PM
And if putting up with a fanbase is a deal breaker with you, I hope you enjoy a conference with usc / * and their ****ty insufferable self-entitled "fans".

Jdog
6/14/2010, 12:01 AM
Will someone tell me how a 10-team league without NE would gain us points and with no championship how does that benefit us getting a BCS bid. Utah ends up in the PAC 10 and now they have a championship game and we don't? Same with Big 10! The days of the Little 12 getting two BCS bids looks out the door so why is this an advantage?

How does our standing as a conference go up with less?

Explanation please!

PAC 16 is inferring that they won't be having a Championship game with that many teams. We've had a couple of teams going into the Big 12 game ranked to be in the BCS championship game - but get beat by a lesser opponent.

47straight
6/14/2010, 12:59 AM
Impossible. Chip Brown already reported that the schools were leaving.

StoopTroup
6/14/2010, 05:33 AM
This right here is the most important thing IMO....

"My plan is about what's best for the citizens in this part of the country and for the student-athletes and not having this section of the country with all its major institutions connected to conferences that aren't even here,"

Jacie
6/14/2010, 06:22 AM
How about, OU drops out of the Big XII and Joe C. announces the Sooners will play as an independent, a kind of Notre Dame of the Southwest.

Rather than embracing the 4-super conference, 16-team model, OU takes it the other way. No splitting bowl or television money with anyone. After a couple of years, let em come to Norman begging OU to join rather than the Sooners hoping for someone to ask them to dance.

delhalew
6/14/2010, 06:56 AM
How about, OU drops out of the Big XII and Joe C. announces the Sooners will play as an independent, a kind of Notre Dame of the Southwest.

Rather than embracing the 4-super conference, 16-team model, OU takes it the other way. No splitting bowl or television money with anyone. After a couple of years, let em come to Norman begging OU to join rather than the Sooners hoping for someone to ask them to dance.

I would like this, but I think it would only last a couple years, as you said. The day of the independent seems to coming to an end. I don't think ND can pull it off much longer.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 07:30 AM
If he can really get $17 million a school why hasn't he done this in the past???

Plus, the PAC-10 is offering $20 million a year. Now, I'm not a math genius, but over the course of 10 years that's a $30 million dollar difference.

I know some are skeptical about $20 million, but if the Big 10 can get it done I don't see why the Pac 10 with a better line-up in the 2 most populated states couldn't do it.

delhalew
6/14/2010, 07:43 AM
If he can really get $17 million a school why hasn't he done this in the past???

Plus, the PAC-10 is offering $20 million a year. Now, I'm not a math genius, but over the course of 10 years that's a $30 million dollar difference.

I know some are skeptical about $20 million, but if the Big 10 can get it done I don't see why the Pac 10 with a better line-up in the 2 most populated states couldn't do it.

That big10 money is based on subscription! These a holes out west DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL, not like the rest of the big boy confrences.

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 08:41 AM

That $20 mill is based of the idea that there will be Pac 1? conference network. The reason that Texas might consider staying with the Big 12 for the $17 mill deal is that there would be no conference network and Texas could do their own network in addition to the $17 mill and not share it. The reason the other schools would consider staying for the $17 mill deal is that if Texas doesn't leave, they won't either either because they can't (Tech and OSU) or they won't (OU and eTm). This is all about convincing Texas to stay.

Now, I'm really struggling to understand where that $17 mill is going to come from for one. Second, by the time we have a $17 mill deal for the Big 12, the other conferences will likely have even better deals.

badger
6/14/2010, 08:41 AM
That big10 money is based on subscription! These a holes out west DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL, not like the rest of the big boy confrences.

word - it's why despite controlling the big name schools in the biggest population state they have such a craptastic tv deal.

however, the possibility of coastal elitists facing heartland foes might even interest their disinterested fanbases.

also, i don't think all pac 10 schools don't care... I think the state schools (aside from Berkley) probably watch their teams en masse.

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 08:44 AM

The channel would be packaged in a sports package such that if you watch a sport thats shows things on xyz channel, you have to order a package that includes both. The Pac 1? will get paid for the number of people that subscribe to that package, regardless of whose watching. I've never watched the Big 10 network but I have it in my house because it's packaged with something else I ordered so the Big 10 network is making money off of me.

Now, I'd assume that what advertisers would pay would be effected by whose watching so it does matter but you were talking about subscriptions.

Fraggle145
6/14/2010, 08:55 AM
All I can say is I have no desire to be part of the leftover 10 anymore. The Big XII because of the way this has played out on TV has been made to look weaker than the Big East (at best) and just slightly better than the WAC (at worst). I know this may not be the case... since we are still here with tx, but that is now the perception. I hope we move to either the SEC or the PAC-whatever.

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2010, 08:57 AM
Chip Brown is reporting that Texas would stay in a 10 team Big 12. While the $17 million they would get falls short of what they'd get in the Pac-16, they'd be able to pursue their own network. And the CCG would be dropped for now.

So the ball is in A&M's court now (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038).

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 09:02 AM
Chip Brown is reporting that Texas would stay in a 10 team Big 12. While the $17 million they would get falls short of what they'd get in the Pac-16, they'd be able to pursue their own network. And the CCG would be dropped for now.

So the ball is in A&M's court now (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038).

I saw that. I really don't like the way the Big 12 is now and hate this. It only seems to serve Texas since they are the ones to make money of their own network. I'm hoping that aTm jumps ship.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 09:05 AM
So if this happens, do we trade names with the Big-10? Would be strange to have the Big-10 with 12 teams, and the Big-12 with 10 teams.

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 09:06 AM
They can call it little 10 or big 2, that's about what it is.

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2010, 09:08 AM
I saw that. I really don't like the way the Big 12 is now and hate this. It only seems to serve Texas since they are the ones to make money of their own network. I'm hoping that aTm jumps ship.

Brown's story does say that A&M, by a 6-3 vote by their regents, has the votes to move to the SEC.

I know they value their rivalry with Texas.

But the Horns and Sooners have been killing them in their own backyard in recruiting. It would almost be worth it for them to join the SEC and at least give Texas kids something they wouldn't have a chance to do in a Pac 1? conference. Might be just the recruiting edge they'd need in order to get back out of Texas' shadow.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 09:08 AM

OU would be dumb to stay. Sorry, staying to make Texas rich is a bad idea. If that's the case, I think the SEC is the best option.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 09:12 AM
A&M is leaving anyways.

John Kochtoston
6/14/2010, 09:15 AM
I still don't get what Texas will show on it's network. ESPN and Fox will show all of their football games and any hoops game worth watching. The Big 10 network works because the conference has more games than ESPN can show, plus it has college hockey, a big draw up north. What idiot will buy the Texas channel to watch one football game a year against Texas Women's University, a few hoops games against crap teams and swimming?

OUHOMER
6/14/2010, 09:18 AM
I like the idea of going to SEC vs PAC what ever. We could still play tx every year, just like we did back in the Big 8 days.

if they dont try and punish us for going to the SEC. i hate pac 10 football.
plus their officals suck

Sooner Among The Pack
6/14/2010, 09:20 AM
If the Big "X" stays together, IMHO, what a gigantic mistake for the University of Oklahoma. Give Texas more power? Ok, sounds good. Play in significantly weaker conference? Ok, sounds good. And worst of all, trusting in a band of idiots in leadership, led by Dan Beebe, who let things get to this point? Oh, yea, that sounds like a good idea.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 09:24 AM
Within 2 years this conference is done. If I'm OU I go to the PAC 10 or SEC.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 09:25 AM
I'm really sick of texass and their own network crap. If texass wants to be in a conference, they need to do what's best for the conference. Otherwise go independent.

This is a bad deal for OU. If texass wants to do this, we should explore the SEC. It's time for Boren and Joe C to stand up to Dodds.

Soonermagik
6/14/2010, 09:26 AM
If the Big "X" stays together, IMHO, what a gigantic mistake for the University of Oklahoma. Give Texas more power? Ok, sounds good. Play in significantly weaker conference? Ok, sounds good. And worst of all, trusting in a band of idiots in leadership, led by Dan Beebe, who let things get to this point? Oh, yea, that sounds like a good idea.

^^^This!!!

I think the PAC-16 or SEC is better than letting Beebe run us into the ground. Plus, who wants to let Texas make even more money?

If Texas doesn't agree to go to the PAC-16 with us then I say we bolt to the SEC. There comes a point where OU has to do what's best for OU. Yes, we want to maintain the red river rivalry, but not at all costs.

Also, I heard Texas is going to announce a decision on Tuesday. OU is announcing their decision on Wednesday. I'm betting this is due to the fact that they don't trust Texas. ;)

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 09:31 AM
All I can say is I have no desire to be part of the leftover 10 anymore. The Big XII because of the way this has played out on TV has been made to look weaker than the Big East (at best) and just slightly better than the WAC (at worst). I know this may not be the case... since we are still here with tx, but that is now the perception. I hope we move to either the SEC or the PAC-whatever.

Don't be silly.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 09:33 AM
They can call it little 10 or big 2, that's about what it is.
how is that any different than the last 10 years?

delhalew
6/14/2010, 09:34 AM
^^^This!!!

I think the PAC-16 or SEC is better than letting Beebe run us into the ground. Plus, who wants to let Texas make even more money?

If Texas doesn't agree to go to the PAC-16 with us then I say we bolt to the SEC. There comes a point where OU has to do what's best for OU. Yes, we want to maintain the red river rivalry, but not at all costs.

Also, I heard Texas is going to announce a decision on Tuesday. OU is announcing their decision on Wednesday. I'm betting this is due to the fact that they don't trust Texas. ;)

I'm hoping we have the SEC lined up as a plan B if Texas wants to stay.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 09:40 AM
I still don't get what Texas will show on it's network. ESPN and Fox will show all of their football games and any hoops game worth watching. The Big 10 network works because the conference has more games than ESPN can show, plus it has college hockey, a big draw up north. What idiot will buy the Texas channel to watch one football game a year against Texas Women's University, a few hoops games against crap teams and swimming?

brainwashing propoganda

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 09:41 AM

please explain, LOL

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 09:43 AM
brainwashing propoganda

They do a lot of that **** down here too. Remember when you were in elementary and you started off every day with Pledge of Allengence to the United States. I just found out that my kids follow that with something similar to the Texas state flag. :mad:

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 09:44 AM
yeah, not sure how someone can say a conference where teams have played for the national title 6 of the last 10 years could be considered "weak".

Sooner Among The Pack
6/14/2010, 09:49 AM
yeah, not sure how someone can say a conference where teams have played for the national title 6 of the last 10 years could be considered "weak".

I didn't say "weak", I said "weaker". I know Nebraska and Colorado haven't brought a tremendous amount to the table the last 10 years or so football wise, but the percepction nationally will be that way.

I also have to believe that not having Nebraska in the conference will hurt the TV deal negotiations despite their lack of TV sets.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 09:55 AM
I agree that losing Nebraska will hurt us, but it will hurt Nebraska more. A LOT more.

The major interest in Neb comes from this part of the country, not the rust belt. That's why tradition matters, and Neb just threw it all out the window for some ****ty cable channel revenue.

I give the children of the corn about 2-3 years before they are begging to come back home.

GreenSooner
6/14/2010, 09:55 AM
FWIW, ESPN is reporting exactly the opposite (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375):

The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 said Monday.

One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 10:02 AM
Chip Brown just said Texas is staying. FWIW.

BeetDigger
6/14/2010, 10:04 AM
I agree that losing Nebraska will hurt us, but it will hurt Nebraska more. A LOT more.

The major interest in Neb comes from this part of the country, not the rust belt. That's why tradition matters, and Neb just threw it all out the window for some ****ty cable channel revenue.

I give the children of the corn about 2-3 years before they are begging to come back home.

I don't understand how moving to the Big X+2 is worse for NU. They have their own network, each team made about $20MM last year, the revenues are equally split, they now have Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa in their conference with the possibility of ND and/or Rutgers (which adds little sports wise but gives exposure to the NJ and NY markets) and it gives them stability. Sure losing OU, Texas and the rivalry game with CU hurts, but the benefits will greatly offset the costs.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/14/2010, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't disagree that they will struggle in the Big 10...I'm not sure their situation of being third fiddle has really changed (certainly behind Ohio State, may have a leg up on Michigan short-term, but Iowa is not far behind).

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't disagree that they will struggle in the Big 10...I'm not sure their situation of being third fiddle has really changed (certainly behind Ohio State, may have a leg up on Michigan short-term, but Iowa is not far behind).
My prediction for the NU's future this ^^ They are going to have to do what theoSu wants...or what Meatchicken wants. NU will carry no pull in the Big 10...or whatever they decide to call it.

And if ND comes into the conference...then they really do become a middle of the pack program...which is EXACTLY what I hope happens!

Karma will be a bitch for the children of the corn.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 10:17 AM
I didn't say "weak", I said "weaker". I know Nebraska and Colorado haven't brought a tremendous amount to the table the last 10 years or so football wise, but the percepction nationally will be that way.

I also have to believe that not having Nebraska in the conference will hurt the TV deal negotiations despite their lack of TV sets.

You said significantly weaker, and that is downright silly.

The word you were looking for is marginally.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 10:18 AM
Sure losing OU, Texas and the rivalry game with CU hurts, but the benefits will greatly offset the costs.And I just don't see how ditching generations of tradition and the exposure to a growing area of the country (economically and population wise) makes any sense with a conference of has-beens in the rust belt that don't give two ****s about Nebraska.

The revenue will catch up. Its only a matter of time IMO. But they had ties here. In the Big-10? Not so much. They will be like Wisconsin, Iowa or Indiana. And who the **** cares about them???

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2010, 10:22 AM
And if ND comes into the conference...then they really do become a middle of the pack program...which is EXACTLY what I hope happens!

Karma will be a bitch for the children of the corn.

Exactly.

They thought dealing with * was bad, wait until they have to deal with Mich, tOSU AND ND. It's only a matter of time.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/14/2010, 10:24 AM
You said significantly weaker, and that is downright silly.

The word you were looking for is marginally.

Maybe significantly weaker is a stretch in hindsight, but I have a ton of respect for Nebraska and I think the conference is much better when they are good.

My biggest problem is staying in a conference led by Dan Beebe after all of this insanity the last two weeks.

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 10:31 AM

Exactly! Not only that but you latch on to a completely unproven strategy that even if it succeeds fully only gives you at best 5 million less than what the other conference will be getting? Sounds great.

At this point I cannot say with enough force TUCK FEXAS!

We hold all the cards at this point. There is no way on God's green earth that Texas is going to stay in a BigX without Oklahoma. You think Texas would get any votes at the end of the year for beating up a conference with Tech, OSU, Iowa State, Kansas etc?? Hell no.

Even if they went undefeated they would be a joke.

I say we make the move for the SEC. If Texas want's to stay that's fine, with that crappy conference the RRS is a LOCK to continue.

And if Texas comes to their senses then we all move to the Big Pac. It's better for everyone and it wont result in a conference that Texas completely owns.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 10:38 AM
I am leaning to going to the SEC with A&M. We all know if A&M bolts the Big 12 and probably why TX is now leaning toward keeping the Big 12. The conference would be so weak that it is going to break apart. If Bebee thinks the hate against Texas is huge right now -- give them a TV deal and the conference is done.

Don't like Bebee, don't like a 10-team Big 12, and want to get away from TX and OSU at this point -- a lot of articles about A&M and OU both going to the SEC now. When I first started reading, the SEC wanting Oklahoma first and then A&M but no OSU, it made me laugh. Went from PAC 10 to thinking that was a really good idea. Leave both orange schools behind. Probably won't happen but I can dream!

Lott's Bandana
6/14/2010, 11:34 AM
At this point, I hate whorn so much for all their arrogant BS that Im willing to say **** the RRS and let's go dominate another conference and begin new traditions.

I don't like Jerry's World anyway.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 11:35 AM

Dude, this is the big 12, we all think that about eachother. Well, except we think texas is a bunch of dumb redneck homo hippies.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:42 AM

Completely disagree. Nebraska just raised its revenue stream and academic prestige in one fell swoop. I see no negatives.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:45 AM
nebraska will be the 12th rated academic school in the Big Ten. Simply joining the conference doesnt raise your academic prestige. osu could join the Ivy League and if they are the dumbest school there, what does that prove

TMcGee86
6/14/2010, 11:45 AM
At this point, I hate whorn so much for all their arrogant BS that Im willing to say **** the RRS and let's go dominate another conference and begin new traditions.

I don't like Jerry's World anyway.

I am completely and totally with you. (except for the Jerry's World part)

I never thought I would feel this way but I'm so tired of UT right now I say f the RRS.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:47 AM
Saying F the RRS is beyond retarded and would only hurt OU

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 11:53 AM
nebraska will be the 12th rated academic school in the Big Ten. Simply joining the conference doesnt raise your academic prestige. osu could join the Ivy League and if they are the dumbest school there, what does that prove

Over time, perceptions change. Ten years from now, Nebraska will be mentioned in the same breath as Indiana, Iowa... Those schools have solid academic reputations.

If OSU joined the Ivy League, its academic reputation would skyrocket in comparison to schools in its region. But this is a wild extreme to say the least.

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 11:54 AM
If Texas and Dan Beebe do this, we should go to the SEC or the PAC or whatever conference will have us, but we sure as **** shouldn't take this deal.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 11:56 AM
I'm really sick of texass and their own network crap. If texass wants to be in a conference, they need to do what's best for the conference. Otherwise go independent.

This is a bad deal for OU. If texass wants to do this, we should explore the SEC. It's time for Boren and Joe C to stand up to Dodds.

me too. If it were to work to stay at 10 (or even expand back to 12 which I think we should do) then it would have to be a "conferance network" not this idividual school network bs

Collier11
6/14/2010, 11:57 AM
Nebraska is one spot ahead of us in the natl University rankings, oh yea, academic juggernaut Mizzou is tied with us.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/page+5

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:00 PM
Nebraska is one spot ahead of us in the natl University rankings, oh yea, academic juggernaut Mizzou is tied with us.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/page+5

That's NOW. What about ten years from now?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:01 PM
How will being in the Big 10 make you any better of a academic institution? Thats on the college, not the athletic conference

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone who thinks an athletic conference affiliation make a university more or less academic prestigous is a moron.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:03 PM
How will being in the Big 10 make you any better of a academic institution? Thats on the college, not the athletic conference

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/96187179.html

UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman said the university's move to the Big 10 conference will increase research funding, the school's exposure and its ability to recruit top faculty.

BTW, the academic prestige connection is subtle, not direct. It's like moving into a nicer neighborhood.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:04 PM
The exposure for recruitment line is a load of crap, the funding may be legit.

sooneron
6/14/2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/96187179.html

You realize that could be just a college pres trying to make his decision look like a smart one, right?

soonerinabilene
6/14/2010, 12:12 PM
You realize that could be just a college pres trying to make his decision look like a smart one, right?

you realize you are talking to the love child of nickzepp and Nell, right?

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:12 PM

Actually, the man is the Chancellor.

Dr. Tom also noted the connection to academics.

Athletic Director Tom Osborne also addressed the academic benefits.

"The research dollars, the IT support and all the things that Harvey mentioned, and their ability to enhance Innovation Campus will make the lives of our students better," said Osborne.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:13 PM
"Big 12 AD confirms to the NY Times that Texas is on cusp of committing to Big 12: "The musical chairs will stop."

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:13 PM
Actually, the man is the Chancellor.

Dr. Tom also noted the connection to academics.

Never heard of the company line?

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:15 PM
Here is another article that suggest the link between joining the Big 10 and academics is overblown. Not non-existent, mind you. Just overblown.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/10/1511330/big-ten-expansion-and-the-cic-are

sooner_born_1960
6/14/2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone who thinks an athletic conference affiliation make a university more or less academic prestigous is a moron.
So far, Dr. Tom and this Perlman guy fit the bill.

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 12:16 PM
Nebraska already collaborates on a lot of research with the Big X schools, and spends a hell of a lot more on research than they do athletics. The research links will get even tighter, especially on the land grant side of things.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:18 PM
Schools all over the country do this, joining an athletic conference isnt going to make you a better academic school, that is the point

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:19 PM

Read the man's bio and tell us if he is a moron:

http://www.unl.edu/ucomm/chancllr/bio.shtml

Harvey Perlman was named the 19th Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on April 1, 2001. He had served as Interim Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln since July 16, 2000.

A former dean of the University of Nebraska College of Law (1983-98), Perlman has also served as interim senior vice chancellor for academic affairs at UNL (1995-96).

A Nebraska native, Perlman was raised in York, and earned a bachelor of arts in history and a juris doctorate from the University of Nebraska. During his law school years, he was editor in chief of the Nebraska Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif, a law honors society.

He joined the NU law faculty in 1967 after spending a year as a Bigelow Teaching Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School. He served on the Nebraska law faculty until 1974 when he joined the faculty at the University of Virginia Law School. He returned to Nebraska in 1983 when he accepted the deanship of the Nebraska Law College, a post he held until 1998 when he returned to the professoriate. He has also served as a visiting professor at Florida State University College of Law, the University of Puget Sound School of Law and the University of Iowa College of Law.

His area of legal expertise lies in torts and intellectual property. He is a member of the Nebraska State and American Bar Associations and is a commissioner of the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws. He is co-author of "Intellectual Property and Unfair Competition" (5th edition, 1998) and co-reporter for the "Restatement of Unfair Competition" (1994). In February 2002, Perlman was named a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Fellow status denotes an individual who has demonstrated outstanding dedication to the welfare of his or her community and is committed to the highest principles of the legal profession. Only the top one-third of one percent of the legal profession is eligible for nomination as a Fellow.

He serves on the Council of the American Law Institute, a leading national law reform organization, as one of Nebraska's Commissioners of Uniform State Laws, as a member of the Board of Directors of the Big 12 Athletic Conference, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the NCAA. He is Chair of the Bowl Championship Series Presidential Oversight Committee.

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 12:19 PM
Schools all over the country do this, joining an athletic conference isnt going to make you a better academic school, that is the point

It won't make NU a worse one either, and we can play our natural enemies in Iowa every year.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:20 PM
Wasnt Ted Bundy a genius?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:20 PM
It won't make NU a worse one either, and we can play our natural enemies in Iowa every year.

never said it would

royalfan5
6/14/2010, 12:22 PM
never said it would

Then I don't see the problem from UNL's point of view.

Leroy Lizard

Read this article:

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/10/1511330/big-ten-expansion-and-the-cic-are

The above is not to say that the benefit to new CIC members is totally overblown. It's not. The CIC can rightfully point to the growth of Penn State's research and graduate programs since it's inclusion in the Big Ten, and I'm sure that Penn State would agree the CIC has benefited them greatly. But is this as big a deal to schools like Notre Dame, Maryland, Rutgers, Missouri, etc. when you're not talking about a giant grab bag of money?

You're wrong. Just plain wrong.

TMcGee86
How in the world could Joe C follow this madness.

Texas is fine in four years if this thing blows up. They will have their own network and can do whatever they want.

In the meantime the Pac10, Big10 and possibly the SEC will go to 16 and we will be left out in the cold.

This is by far the worst decision in the history of the university. I cannot believe this is happening. We are joining the mfing Southwest conference.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:23 PM
The point the entire time has only been that the statement that going to the Big 10 makes you a better academic school is not true

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:24 PM
How in the world could Joe C follow this madness.

Texas is fine in four years if this thing blows up. They will have their own network and can do whatever they want.

In the meantime the Pac10, Big10 and possibly the SEC will go to 16 and we will be left out in the cold.

This is by far the worst decision in the history of the university. I cannot believe this is happening. We are joining the mfing Southwest conference.

Breathe, we will be fine in this deal. If we werent, Joe C. and Davey B. wouldnt agree to it

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 12:24 PM
I've looked at what teams are getting. You need to give each team an average of 10 million more dollars to get it up to 17 mil per team. Where are you getting $100 mill from? And if you already had it, or even close wouldn't Nebraska and Colorado be saved? There is no way this looks right to me.

ndpruitt03
6/14/2010, 12:26 PM
Breathe, we will be fine in this deal. If we werent, Joe C. and Davey B. wouldnt agree to it

I don't know, I think they might be clueless on this deal. There is no way the Big 12 has an extra 100 mil laying around and just let Colorado and Nebraska go.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:28 PM
Beebe is apparently working on a newer, fatter deal. That is where the supposed money will come from

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:29 PM
Wasnt Ted Bundy a genius?

No.

And none of this has anything to do with violent killings of women.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:31 PM
Leroy is playing his games now

This is whats being reported now

ChipBrownOB An announcement that a remodeled Big 12 will survive with a new television deal could be announced as early as Monday, sources say.

ChipBrownOB All 10 schools remaining in the Big 12 are are at the table working on a deal that would save the league, sources tell Orangebloods.com.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 12:34 PM
Beebe is apparently working on a newer, fatter deal. That is where the supposed money will come from

The new deal, which won't materialize until after the 2012 season I believe, is rumored to be roughly equal to the current deal that the SEC has. Which means when the next round of negotioations comes around for the SEC the new Big Texas conference will fall behind in revenue again. Texas won't care, they'll have their own network. Anyone else foolish enough to follow Texas into this disaster-waiting-to-happen won't be so lucky though.

Leroy Lizard
6/14/2010, 12:35 PM
Leroy is playing his games now

This is whats being reported now

ChipBrownOB An announcement that a remodeled Big 12 will survive with a new television deal could be announced as early as Monday, sources say.

ChipBrownOB All 10 schools remaining in the Big 12 are are at the table working on a deal that would save the league, sources tell Orangebloods.com.

That's irrelevant to my point: That if the Big XII is saved there is nothing to stop UT from playing the same games next year and the year after that and the year after that.

Soonez
6/14/2010, 12:38 PM
Www.chipbbrownieob.com.

Check it out.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:40 PM
Well, hopefully the powerbrokers are smart enough to get a full commitment from ut and every other school, none of us are privy to the discussions

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:40 PM
Www.chipbbrownieob.com.

Check it out.

chip brownie? LOL

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2010, 12:42 PM
Texas wants their own network. Apparently Beebe is willing to allow this to happen, while the Pac-1Whatever is not. Staying in the Big 12 makes sense for Texas, they'll be given a free pass to do whatever the hell want, which is of course what Texas thinks they're entitled to. How can any OU fan be in favor of remaining in this abomination of a conference where Texas runs the show?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 12:48 PM
If OU gets screwed in this I will eat major crow, I just have enough faith that Boren and Joe C. wouldnt allow that. We are getting a great deal if we stick with this

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 01:01 PM
Oklahoma is also going to pursue a network according to the Oklahoman. I just don't believe that David Boren will sell out OU to Texas or anyone else. Call my naive but he never has in the past so there has to be something really good in all of this for OU to agree.

Now to get two more schools to join. I still say take Memphis for $10 a year if this is all about money.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 01:06 PM
Would an OU network really pull in that much money? How many people live in OK vs. how many people live in TX?

Texas - 24.78 MIL people
Oklahoma - 3.69 MIL people

Uhh...

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 01:11 PM
I am just reporting what was in the Oklahoman -- makes no sense to me either.

soonerinabilene
6/14/2010, 01:39 PM
Would an OU network really pull in that much money? How many people live in OK vs. how many people live in TX?

Texas - 24.78 MIL people
Oklahoma - 3.69 MIL people

Uhh...

if dish or direct tv get broadcast rights you open it up to fans not living in oklahoma, which i would enjoy.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 01:40 PM
if dish or direct tv get broadcast rights you open it up to fans not living in oklahoma, which i would enjoy.

Texas has a much bigger national following than OU. Way more bandwagon fans.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 01:42 PM
From Orangebloods.com comes the Bebee plan they were given:

Here's what Beebe has provided to the five Big 12 South schools who have been targeted by the Pac-10, including Texas A&M, who has been in deep conversation about joining the SEC, according to sources.

Dan Beebe's plan says the Big 12-Lite can get to $17 mil/school in its next TV deal in 2011.

--Beebe has secured information that enough money could be inked in its next TV negotiation (in 2011) that revenues per school would jump from between $7 million and $10 million in the Big 12 currently to $17 million beginning in 2012, which is what the SEC pays out.

--The 10 remaining Big 12 schools would divide up the more than $20 million in buyout penalties that will have to be paid by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the league early.

--Individal institutions would be allowed to pursue their own networks, which has been a goal of Texas. If the Longhorns went to the Pac-10, they would have to forgo their own distribution platforms, including a network, because the Pac-16 would seek to have a conference network in which all inventory is shared.

(Consultants have put Texas' ability to generate revenue from its own network at between $3 million and $5 million after a start-up window of about three years.)

--The Big 12 would proceed with 10 teams. Everyone would play everyone in football, providing a nine-game conference schedule.

--The conference championship game would be dumped in the short-term (because the NCAA mandates 12 schools for a football title game).

soonerinabilene
6/14/2010, 01:44 PM
Texas has a much bigger national following than OU. Way more bandwagon fans.

not saying they dont, but an ou network wouldnt fail, imo. there are sooner fans around the country.

noobalicious
6/14/2010, 01:46 PM
Regarding the Beebe plan just posted:

I see there's no mention of uneven TV revenue sharing. I was merely relaying what they said on Sportscenter when they were talking about the report. Perhaps A&M and Texas would join forces on a TV network?

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 01:46 PM

I would bet that local cable companies in OK would carry it but I doubt dish or direct would.

soonerinabilene
6/14/2010, 01:48 PM
I would bet that local cable companies in OK would carry it but I doubt dish or direct would.

i dont know, i get big 10 on dish

MeMyself&Me
6/14/2010, 01:53 PM
i dont know, i get big 10 on dish

I bet you'll get the Texas network too if you want it. Oklahoma network would be for a fairly small audience comparitively and Dish will have to choose how small of an audience are they willing to cater too. They may offer it but put it on a spot beam where you can only get it in Oklahoma (to free up bandwidth space) and they may only offer it in SD or some such or they may not carry it at all.

Monster Zero
6/14/2010, 01:59 PM
In other words Texas has all the say about everything all the time.

Sounds about right to me.

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 02:09 PM
When did ESPN become a proxy of orangebloods.com?? I say **** it we should really think hard about goin indy--we could still play the horns and maybe nd of course the aggots maybe Tulsa we could make it this is turning into a nightmare. Of course all sports except football could find a conference home. Who's with me!!

triplet
6/14/2010, 02:12 PM
Consider me unimpressed with the new deal...What does UT have on Joe and Dave that they would cave to this deal???? Hypotheticals and projections is all that any conference we go to has but who would you guys believe? The PAC 10 with its own network, the SEC with their existent tv deal, or Beebe and his all of a sudden found money for the new network deal and the schools ability to start their own network?

The ability to start their own network only benefits * b/c for the other schools (OU included) it makes no financial sense.

At one time I thought Missouri overplayed their hand but I'm beginning to feel like OU is just as bad. Its beginning to look more and more like * orchestrated this to get rid of the disention to their network and we were either a willing accomplis or too dumb to see it coming.

Captain Cob Mob
6/14/2010, 02:41 PM
UT is in a very dangerous position right now and they don't want to show it imo. I don't think they ever really planned on leaving the Big 12 even if Nebraska left, but whipped up all these odd stories to spread insecurity and it backfired on them and got other people thinking other scenarios.

The Pac 10 may have not really had OU in the initial equation, maybe they were just wanting UT, but I GUARANTEE you that if the OU brass rocked up to the Pac 10 or SEC commissioners and said "We want in (with or without OSU) OU would be in in a heartbeat.

The SEC would be a bit rougher road, but I think OU may be the only team in the Big 12 who could pull that off. I think it's a good move for aTm but it'll be a rocky road the first 4 years or so until they acclimate (if the powers in Texas allow them to move).

The Pac 10, OU and UT could dominate imo. USC has taken a hit and is sitting on the ground. Stoops is a great game to game coach which makes the task of playing a host of new opponents early, a lot easier than a lot of schools in terms of initial success.

If OU and/or OSU went to the Pac 10, it would also force UT to join the Pac 10 if they wanted to or not. UT is going to stay away from the SEC like the plague, and I don't know if any of that talk to the Big 10 was legit (they would also probably have to go alone, a Husker wet dream). It's a nightmare scenario for UT, they've already lost Baylor and it doesn't look like aTm is going to be forced to be in their corner any more.

But like I said, I don't think UT ever had any intention of leaving the Big 12, with or without NU. They are just really really irate with us right now. And they can make the Big 12 work, it may be firing on 9 cylinders but they can make it work. Imo though, that's a dangerous place for OU. Once UT is ready to launch their own network and/or go independent then who knows what will happen to those around them. I'm sure Castiglione knows more about what's going on behind closed doors than we do, but to me it just seems spooky. I'm very happy with where my Huskers are and I feel that OU doesn't really need to have to much anxiety right now.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 02:58 PM
The Pac 10 may have not really had OU in the initial equation, maybe they were just wanting UT, but I GUARANTEE you that if the OU brass rocked up to the Pac 10 or SEC commissioners and said "We want in (with or without OSU) OU would be in in a heartbeat.

Dude, seroius? OU writes their ticket wherever they want. OU is a HUGE cash cow.

Captain Cob Mob
6/14/2010, 03:00 PM
Dude, seroius? OU writes their ticket wherever they want. OU is a HUGE cash cow.

Bud, that was kind of the whole point of my post. I'm just seeing a lot of anxiety from OU fans, and was saying I think OU will be ok.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 03:02 PM
In related news, the Big 12 is as a 10 team league is now being considered the best hoops conference from top to bottom in the country

Collier11
6/14/2010, 03:03 PM

Bud, that was kind of the whole point of my post. I'm just seeing a lot of anxiety from OU fans, and was saying I think OU will be ok.

This is what ive been saying, OU will be fine. OU is one of the few programs in the country who can carry themselves nationally with just a Name, we are also coupled with another of those, texas

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2010, 03:23 PM
In related news, the Big 12 is as a 10 team league is now being considered the best hoops conference from top to bottom in the country

Big East and ACC beg to differ.

Maybe women's hoops. Ooops, no, that's the SEC.

Baseball? Oops. No. Pac-10 and SEC and ACC better top to bottom.

Women's Softball. Sorry... Pac-10.

Golf. No.

Gymnastics? Without NU men's? No.

Swimming? Pac-10 and Big 10.

Track & Field? SEC.

But wrasslin'? Hoo-aah! We is da shnizit in wrasslin! Unless of course you consider Iowa and Minnesota and Penn State in the Big 10. But I digress.

So as not to be confused with the Big 10...

The BIG X
Competence for All, Mastery for None!

Collier11
6/14/2010, 03:26 PM
This was from cbb guru Jerry palm, Big East and ACC have a lot of bad teams, he was talking 1-10 as a whole

Fraggle145
6/14/2010, 03:27 PM
I hope we leave... The weak 8 and its 2 big brothers has little to no appeal to me. How can we seriously make a case for getting in to the MNC based on conference schedule now? Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Mizzou, Iowa St, Oswho, Tech... and maybe A&M - That is not good football, that is **** weak *** ***** football.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 03:29 PM
Thats why we schedule good non conf games, tex needs to do the same. KU, a&m and Mizzou need to get better

Dio
6/14/2010, 03:29 PM
Seriously, Frag. Who wants Washington or Oregon or USC to come to Norman when we can get IOWA STATE 50 more times?

Soonez
6/14/2010, 03:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5285680

Maybe this has been posted. Sorry if it has but it's saying us ut and a&m will get 20 million Less for the rest.

Fraggle145
6/14/2010, 03:36 PM
Seriously, Frag. Who wants Washington or Oregon or USC to come to Norman when we can get IOWA STATE 50 more times?

Fukin' A. Iowa State football is the titties.

Fraggle145
6/14/2010, 03:38 PM
To me the only way this makes sense is to stay until the Nebbish and Colorado pay their penalties for leaving. By that time the other conferences will be up for renegotiation and we should jump ship and get in the new deal. It just seems to me that our new deal is only going to equal and not surpass what is available or possible. Seems stupid to me.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 03:42 PM
Just went to the ESPN link and sure enough UT, A&M, and OU get $20+ while the rest of the conference gets $14-17M

That means the three big dogs are running the conference and the rest are along for the ride. Cannot believe the rest of the conference is dumb enough to allow those three to get paid so much more. We could be making $3 to 5M more than Okie State in the Big 12. What are their fans going to say about that.

This proposal has the possibility to blow up but maybe the weak sisters of the Big 12 are too scared to say a word.

HBick
6/14/2010, 03:45 PM
I really hope they don't "save" the big 12. It's not a great option, it just delays the inevitable. And say what you will, but Berry Tramel (gasp, I know he did something worth mentioning) said it best, "Texas held the league hostage, then they saved it."

I really think it is better to be at the front of conference realignment, than at the end. Now we have to deal with the fact that there will be no conference title game, which means our last game of the season is Thanksgiving weekend, unless we schedule an Out of Conference game late, then we still have 4 weeks off (closer to 5 if it is for a National Title). The Big 12 becomes the new Big 10, largely irrelevant, and also subjected to the same stigma that Ohio State has received in the last decade.

Sure this is all gravy if we add two teams, but I don't care what anyone says, losing Nebraska is irreparable. No other team you can add (minus ND, and they don't want to play Texas and OU each season) will be able to replace that.

It's a fact that TCU does nothing to help the conference in the long run. Utah or BYU looks good, but traveling to Utah starts to create more headaches.

And worst, the University of Oklahoma APPEARS to be following Texas. I have no doubt that Joe C and Boren had contingency plans. But I'm just saying how it looks, we all know, or at least should know that we will be all right. But the Pac-10 invitation might not be there in the future, conference expansion might slow down for the next 6-18 months, but the Big 12 was successfully raided. Losing CU is not as big as it seems, but Denver is a big market, and it doesn't matter if it's Bronco town, people still watch college football on Saturdays.

And now the new Orangebloods article states that Texas might earn $20m to $25m a year in TV revenue including the schools own network.

This is basically Texas holding the rest of hostage until they can launch their own network. Think about this for a second, this is the most important part of this reply. Texas starts it's own network, carried only in Texas, that's 24m cable subscribers give or take. They earn all the revenue for that, then whatever conference they end up in, or if they go independent, their games are carried outside of Texas by a major network (ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox). I think Fox would be the biggest player since NBC is locked up with ND, and ABC and CBS are already stacked on Saturdays. So they would take an even cut of conference money, then they get their own money from the network in Texas.

I've been waiting until I saw some competing articles and points on this saving of the Big 12.

Thoughts?

Big Red Ron
6/14/2010, 03:49 PM
F the Big XII. I don't care what texass does I say we join the sec or pac 10. It's time to move on.

HBick
6/14/2010, 03:52 PM
Just went to the ESPN link and sure enough UT, A&M, and OU get $20+ while the rest of the conference gets $14-17M

That means the three big dogs are running the conference and the rest are along for the ride. Cannot believe the rest of the conference is dumb enough to allow those three to get paid so much more. We could be making $3 to 5M more than Okie State in the Big 12. What are their fans going to say about that.

This proposal has the possibility to blow up but maybe the weak sisters of the Big 12 are too scared to say a word.

I think is important, and if OSU received an invite to the Pac-10 they may go. You really think Boone is going to let Oklahoma A&M receive $3 to $5m less than Texas, OU and especially A&M (who he hates since they kicked his *** out).

The sheep humpers aren't the smartest, but even they can see the writing on the wall. And what if Kansas gets invited to a different conference (Big 10, Big East anyone?), they get equal revenue sharing and a lot more exposure in the Northeast for basketball, which is more fertile for recruiting than where they are now. In the Big East, they get the television exposure, but they also get to compete against the big dogs. I think this idea about the money is great for OU, Texas and A&M, but if one of the mid power brokers in this deal decides to leave, we're back to square one.

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 03:52 PM
I've been waiting until I saw some competing articles and points on this saving of the Big 12.

Thoughts?

Think you are correct -- Texas is playing this to get what they want and then will go independent.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 03:56 PM

Probably cus they cant do better on their own

soonervegas
6/14/2010, 03:56 PM
Think you are correct -- Texas is playing this to get what they want and then will go independent.

Agreed 100% or to the Big 10 when ND finally caves.

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 03:57 PM

OU and UT should get more money.

huskerland
6/14/2010, 03:59 PM
Bah! The Big 12 is circling the drain, let it die with dignity.

Without somebody like Neb in the north to at least challenge the schools in Austin and Norman it is still a clown car of a division. It sucks, but the Huskers are irreplaceable. Hell, even the Buffs had a solid program before the Big 12.

And, didn't all of this start because Misery and Neb don't like the revenue sharing situation with Texas? Lets put a fork in this marriage of convenience and let the likes of Baylor and ISU fend for themselves. Yes it is about money! thank Texas and their worry about their TV network and not the big Twelve network! don't be fooled: It's about Texas IMO! The link tells alot! I see OU did pretty good!

http://omaha.com/article/20100613/BIGRED/706139829/-1#nu-drops-to-eighth-in-big-12-revenue

PLaw
6/14/2010, 04:02 PM
Texas wants their own network. Apparently Beebe is willing to allow this to happen, while the Pac-1Whatever is not. Staying in the Big 12 makes sense for Texas, they'll be given a free pass to do whatever the hell want, which is of course what Texas thinks they're entitled to. How can any OU fan be in favor of remaining in this abomination of a conference where Texas runs the show?

Saw this earlier today and this is not good for OU. For texas to have their own network, any cash generated will give them an advantage over the other nine schools. If Texas really wants their own network, then it is time for them to independent. OU needs to decide SEC or PAC-10.

BOOMER

SoonerMom2
6/14/2010, 04:05 PM
Dallas Morning News reporting from inside the meetings that it is only 70% chance now the Big 12 survives. Because of the length of the meeting and no word looks to me like some schools are starting to balk.

Two hours ago everyone was pretty much saying it was a done deal. Maybe some schools came to their senses that UT has been scamming this whole deal which looks more likely by the minute. If that is the case, OU needs to leave the Big 12 and who cares about the other schools. SEC wants us then we should go!

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 04:06 PM
Their network will only get the games that ABC & FSN do not want to carry. It's not liek they're taking away our revenue. We shouldn't be complaining as OU received the largest share of BIG12 TV money last year.

Boomer Mooner
6/14/2010, 04:16 PM
Their network will only get the games that ABC & FSN do not want to carry. It's not liek they're taking away our revenue. We shouldn't be complaining as OU received the largest share of BIG12 TV money last year.

Was that last year or year before last? It would make more sense if it was 2008-09 considering the team we had and the run to the NC game. Oklahoma's record setting offense sold a lot of tickets. Last year not so much.

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 04:22 PM
You're correct....08-09.

Oklahoma moved to No. 1 in revenue share in 2008-09 at $12.2 million (24.5 percent increase). Texas was second at $11.8 million (12.7 percent) and Kansas third at $11.5 million (25 percent).

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 04:30 PM
Being in the nc game put us over the top--I'm sure texass was first this past year.

I think the mega PAC still comes through--surely the other dirty dozen schools can't be this gullible

goingoneight
6/14/2010, 04:34 PM
If you were being left out for the Sun Belts and Mountain Wests like yesterday's trash, what would you do?

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 04:42 PM
Dallas Morning News reporting from inside the meetings that it is only 70% chance now the Big 12 survives. Because of the length of the meeting and no word looks to me like some schools are starting to balk.

Two hours ago everyone was pretty much saying it was a done deal. Maybe some schools came to their senses that UT has been scamming this whole deal which looks more likely by the minute. If that is the case, OU needs to leave the Big 12 and who cares about the other schools. SEC wants us then we should go!

Only?

Just yesterday it was .7%

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 04:48 PM
If you were being left out for the Sun Belts and Mountain Wests like yesterday's trash, what would you do?

Fair point but I just don't see how other schools (even us) can tolerate the whorns having their own network without a kickback to the league

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 04:53 PM
Being in the nc game put us over the top--I'm sure texass was first this past year.

I think the mega PAC still comes through--surely the other dirty dozen schools can't be this gullible

It's not the other schools, it's us and aTm. We're the ones with options. If B12 lite survives it's because we decided to stay in a weakened conference because * wanted us to.

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 05:06 PM
I agree--it seems like we are limiting our options by cowtowing to the whorns

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2010, 05:14 PM
Seriously, Frag. Who wants Washington or Oregon or USC or UCLA or Cal or Stanford or Arizona or Arizona State or COLORADO to come to Norman when we can get IOWA STATE or Baylor or Kansas State or Mizzou 50 more times?

In the spirit of your overflowing sarcasm (which I'm on board with)... FIXED.

Seriously, the only interest I have in us preserving even our Kansas relationship is basketball.

Truth is, I barely care about keeping the Tech or LoSuR series alive.

Let it DIE!

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 05:15 PM
Limiting options? Regardless of what any other school does, we have exactly 4 options right now.

1. Stay put.
2. Move to the Big 10
3. Move to the SEC
4. Move to the Pac-10

#2 looks pretty much out at this point from a lack of interest by the Big 10 and our lack of AAU membership.

#1 results in a less-competitive conference, and whatever new TV contract we get will still look like monkey-balls once the Pac-10, Big-10, and SEC re-negotiate theirs.

#3 gives us a ridiculously difficult road to championship games (conference and national) and dos squat for our academic reputation.

#4 improves our academic rep, gives us a much better recruiting foothold in California, doesn't make it any more difficult to get to conference and national championship games, and ups our TV contract by (estimating here) tripling the population footprint of the conference we're currently in.

Why is this so difficult?

Sooner5030
6/14/2010, 05:19 PM
Why is this so difficult?

IF population mattered then the PAC10 would already have a better contract then the BIG12. Not only is it not football country but it is also PST.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 05:25 PM
And this PST thing is silly, too. OU against any of the major west coast teams - USC, UCLA, Cal, Oregon - will be a big enough game to grab a prime-time kickoff east coast time. And if most of the Big-XII South goes with us, we'll really only be facing two west-division teams each season, likely only ONE of those will be an away game. So really you're complaining about exactly one west-coast game every season.

Oldnslo
6/14/2010, 05:27 PM
GHP for DICTATOR!

Collier11
6/14/2010, 05:58 PM
Its official, Big 12 staying together

soonerbub
6/14/2010, 06:12 PM
Does this mean we swap names with the big ten?

texass blinked when the PAC said no to all their demands so here we are--oh well let's end the XII with a bang and win the mother****er this year

waiting patiently for October 2

oh and great start to the baseball game BOOMER!!

Lott's Bandana
6/14/2010, 06:35 PM
Joe C. has said all along he wanted to keep the Big XII together, and I think it was a personal challenge, as he kept referencing his role in putting it together while at Misery. I think Joe is great, but giving whorn the keys to the car just to save your own baby is gonna kill the entire family.

Speaking of Misery, what happened to their own jump to the Big Ten? Did they get left at the altar, or are they waiting for the Big Ten to identify Eastern schools to match up on a two-at-a-time continued expansion?

Rudy Canoza
6/14/2010, 06:45 PM
University of Texas declines offer to join Pac-10; Big 12 schools nearing deal - Dallas Morning News http://bit.ly/dfdgkY

Soonez
6/14/2010, 07:01 PM
One good thing about this that it willFORCE * to schedule some decent teams or They will never make the bcscg. Of course, they will then fly around the country with a banner and their coach will cry like a baby on national tv. I hate those f$&k€rs so much. F@~£¥ te&$&?

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:17 PM
you all realize that the only conference who made a significant change was the Big 10 with Neb, why do you all the sudden think that the Big 12 sucks when it has consistently been a top 3 conference for the last decade?

OU Adonis
6/14/2010, 07:19 PM
you all realize that the only conference who made a significant change was the Big 10 with Neb, why do you all the sudden think that the Big 12 sucks when it has consistently been a top 3 conference for the last decade?

Because the conference IS weaker.

Short 2 teams...

Several teams only in this conference because they have to be (I.E No other choice)

One team at the top making all the decisions.

Collier11
6/14/2010, 07:20 PM
Incorrect on both counts

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:20 PM
big ****ing deal. we can still win every game we play.