PDA

View Full Version : Would like to see OU in the SEC...

NYaggie
6/13/2010, 01:02 PM
First of all, I'm an A&M fan and I'm not 100% on board with the SEC move. I do think that it's a huge gamble for a football program that has been lost in the wilderness for a decade to suddenly go up a notch in the level of competition. Having said that, looking 20 years down the road, the SEC will still be the best football conference and the one that A&M most aligns with culturally. Our school in the Pac-10 makes zero sense, and I can't imagine most Sooners don't feel the same way.

Texas can't pull off the Pac-10 move if neither A&M nor OU is on board, that much is certain. If the SEC can bring OU and A&M on board, either the horns will have to follow us or they will go to the Big 10. I don't give the Pac-16 a long lifespan regardless, too many politics between the west and east schools will kill that league. And the horns will keep the RRS going regardless of you all being the same conference or not.

It would be great to have you all, and maybe VT, KU, or MU to get to 16 teams. We would have the Midwest and Southeast markets cornered.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 01:08 PM
Just because Nebraska and Colorado left doesn't make sense for the other 10 to panic.

Matter of fact it's some of the stupidest crap I've seen since USC was allowed to violate NCAA rules for 5 years.

Well...except for that Texas Tech firing of Mike Leach....that still seems pretty stupid too.

NYaggie
6/13/2010, 01:17 PM
I would like to see the Big 12 continue as well, but the horns are forcing this issue. (and mizzou, who already got left at the altar) I don't think the Big 12 can continue unless texas relents on some tv revenue issues which I simply think is not going to happen.

badger
6/13/2010, 01:19 PM
Heya aggie.

I wouldn't mind keeping the Big 12 together and getting a few other top tier schools to join now that Nebbish and Colorado left. I like what our conference has done for OU and with the successes you guys have had during the 14-year (or so... I'm not sure) existence, I'm sure you guys would say the same, even if football has been down for you guys lately (as it was for us in the 90s).

Alas, we've all gotta move on if any other major schools jump ship. If Iowa State or Baylor move, no biggie, but if you, Texas, or us leave, it's time to get out of the Big 12.

ndpruitt03
6/13/2010, 01:28 PM
If OSU and Texas go with us I would like the SEC too. But if we go to a different conference then those 2 the travel for the fans won't be worth it. I've done the math on it. Like it or not the PAC 10 is the better way to go. We will have 2 short trips. And one trip under 350 miles. 2 if A&M goes to the PAC 10.

If we go to the SEC the closest game is Arkansas(250 miles away) then LSU 500 miles away. It doesn't get any closer after that. It would be torture on fans that like to go to games economically and we would have to end the OSU and Texas rivalry or make the OU/Texas rivalry home and home for economic reasons.

It would simply be better for OU to schedule 3 OOC home games so that the fans can see OU more in a new conference. I'm sorry but the OU/Tx rivalry would likely be done. I love the hatred it brings and it's better for OU to have that rivalry continue but in the SEC home games would be the way to go.

SoonerLB
6/13/2010, 02:32 PM
To answer the initial question ..... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

OUDizzle
6/13/2010, 02:35 PM
To quote Leroy;

If we pass up a chance to join the Stanfords and Berkeleys of the world to join the SEC, we will have made a tremendous mistake.