PDA

View Full Version : Would OU fans like the big Ten?

huskerland
6/13/2010, 12:26 PM
While I'm here can I ask a question just to satisfy my curiosity? We all know the grand prize for the Big Ten would be the Landing of ND into the big Ten but, If somehow just out of the blue if, Later came a Big Ten offer for OU to be added, how would OU fans react? Positive or negative? At least on this board! Please: I'm an Husker/OU fan and am not trying to be a butthead.. Just a question! I know PAC ten consideration meetings are near for you all so, (It's just a What if quesion!) Maybe, deep down I'd like to see the Husker / Sooner relationship continue somehow!

JohnnyMack
6/13/2010, 12:28 PM
If the Big 10 added in Mizzou, ND and one more solid eastern school, I'd be OK with OU being the 16th team in a revamped big 10.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 12:28 PM
We've been giving you guys the Big XII for awhile...why would you want two inches less?

JohnnyMack
6/13/2010, 12:31 PM
You know, on second thought I wouldn't even need ND.

Mizzou, Pitt and WVU or even Rutgers maybe and it'd be a good conference I'd be proud to play in. It'd be VERY weird not to have osu or Texas around, but I'd deal.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 12:38 PM
I've already stated in another thread I actually think it would be a better fit than going to the Pot-10 out west.

But I think it should include ISU, Kansas, Mizzou, and OU.

Let ND keep their independent status.

Including the four above the Big 10 16 team league would look like this:

West:
NU
OU
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Missouri
Minnesota
Wisconsin

East:
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

I believe OU and Texas would still see each other the second Saturday in October out of conference, and this keeps all the other important rivalries intact. (Yes, LoSuRs, I am tagging you as an unimportant rivalry. Look at the record. You really have more to gain by not playing us every year.)

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2010, 12:43 PM
No thanks, I like exciting football.

badger
6/13/2010, 12:54 PM
Not a fan of Big Ten football, but you Huskers might make it fun to watch again. Good luck in your new conference and hope we get home-and-homes going again now that this Big 12 crap that caused our annual game to stop is over.

Eielson
6/13/2010, 12:57 PM
Between Pac-10, SEC, and Big-10; Big-10 finishes a distant third.

Dan Thompson
6/13/2010, 12:59 PM
I would perfer the PAC-10 for more TV exposure, some getting even, and some recognition of OU out here.

huskerland
6/13/2010, 12:59 PM
No thanks, I like exciting football. Good point: Ou would bring that to the table! Along with the Huskers then the picture of the big ten could change rapidly, I think a point is that I'll miss OU and I will feel sad if they don't get the best deal available! OU is not out of options.. This link keeps the mind going:

http://www.mrsec.com/2010/06/slive-channeling-nixon-on-sec-expansion/

OklahomaTuba
6/13/2010, 01:01 PM
And destroy our football program like Nebbish just did to theirs? No thankyou!

badger
6/13/2010, 01:02 PM
:mad: You Husker fans are too d@mn nice to stay in a conference with Texas.

:P and us to some degree.

:mad: so don't let the door hit you on the way out! thanks for nothing, you big 12 defectors!

;) j/k. have fun playing in 100k stadiums.

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 01:02 PM
Hell no, Big 10 sucks!

zeke
6/13/2010, 01:07 PM
I'm glad OU is not going there. Not real excited about the Pac 10 but thats better than where Neb is headed.
I hope Nebraska does well.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 01:10 PM
I would perfer the PAC-10 for more TV exposure, some getting even, and some recognition of OU out here.

I would argue the Pac-10 does not give us more TV exposure, while the Big 10 does.

I understand where everyone is as far as an exiting brand of football being in order the SEC, then Pac-10, then Big 10 a distant third.

But when it comes to regional passion for the game it's SEC, Big 10, and the Pac-10 a distant third.

Yes there are a ton of TV sets out west. But there are a ton of TV sets in the northeast as well... rivaling or exceeding those of the west.

And furthermore, the TV sets in the northeast are turned on watching college football. The ones in the west are more likely to be off for a day at the beach or up in the mountains.

Maybe some of you don't remember USC having trouble getting crowds of even 40,000 or so in the late 80's and the 90's. They are just as sunshine fair weather as Miami. If they don't have an EXCELLENT product, they don't even bother. That just doesn't happen at Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State... or Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin, for that matter.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 01:11 PM
I could care less about Nebraska from here on out. They are no longer Conference Allies. They are just a Team that has been looking for an Identity since Osborne retired. If they think they are going to find that in the Big 10...they might....in 10 or 20 years. Stupid move on their part IMO.

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 01:13 PM
I too think it's a stupid move on nebbishes part. It's certainly not going to help them recruit down in Tejas.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 01:18 PM
Hell no, Big 10 sucks!

Understatement. I grew up in Ohio and know all about the arrogance of Ohio State. I will take Texas any day of the week.

The Big 10 is still treating Penn State like a stepchild. NE won't even be getting a full cut for three years.

Football is boring for the most part in the Big 10 and travel would be horrendous. When Bobby Knight was at Indiana, he was against Penn State because of travel to Penn State is so horrible.

Anyone thinking of the Big 10 is not looking at today's Big 10 located in the rust bucket of America which has fallen on very hard times.

PLaw
6/13/2010, 01:18 PM
Won't happen. My understanding is the Big Ten wants new members to also be members of the AAU. Unfortunately, Boren and the Regents haven't cracked that list.

Boomer

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 01:25 PM
It's certainly not going to help them recruit down in Tejas.

I agree with that. And I believe Osborne was even trying to convince himself of that in the news conference. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "We continue to recruit Texas, California, the Southeast, and now we'll just move further east, too."

Dr. Tom is getting old (as we all will). He doesn't even remember his own history. Those monster teams he put together in the 90's were your Nebraska beef fortified with speed from California, Florida, and New Jersey. NOT Texas.

That is, all this move does for them maybe is re-open that New Jersey pipeline they had going so well for a while... or maybe gets them into Ohio and Pennsylvania a little.

It does nothing to help their cause either into Texas, or fortify their recruiting in California and Florida.

Their recruiting hopes in sunshine states are now firmly resting on kids who are pining to play Big 10 football. And to the earlier point about brand of football, that simply hasn't been the brand that kids have gravitated to.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2010, 01:34 PM
Won't happen. My understanding is the Big Ten wants new members to also be members of the AAU. Unfortunately, Boren and the Regents haven't cracked that list.

Boomer

But they've been working hard to get there. Under Boren the university academically has made great strides.

Would it surprise anyone here to know that not only are Kansas and Missouri AAU members, but also Iowa State?

I refuse to believe there is that much separating OU from any of these three schools, or Nebraska for that matter. In fact, looking at the US News annual rankings, if you believe them, the only thing separating us might be the membership itself... Iowa State ranked 88, Nebraska and Kansas tied at 96, and Missouri and OU tied at 102.

huskerland
6/13/2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys. I appreciate your thoughts. Two tough seasons ahead for the Huskers. One leaving the BX11 and one entering the B10/11 . Big Ten challenges are going to be fun!

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/06/13/football/doc4c1437eed5d76913723181.txt

huskerland
6/13/2010, 01:42 PM
I could care less about Nebraska from here on out. They are no longer Conference Allies. They are just a Team that has been looking for an Identity since Osborne retired. If they think they are going to find that in the Big 10...they might....in 10 or 20 years. Stupid move on their part IMO. Ouch!

BigRedTradition
6/13/2010, 01:49 PM
I've already stated in another thread I actually think it would be a better fit than going to the Pot-10 out west.

But I think it should include ISU, Kansas, Mizzou, and OU.

Let ND keep their independent status.

Including the four above the Big 10 16 team league would look like this:

West:
NU
OU
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Missouri
Minnesota
Wisconsin

East:
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

I believe OU and Texas would still see each other the second Saturday in October out of conference, and this keeps all the other important rivalries intact. (Yes, LoSuRs, I am tagging you as an unimportant rivalry. Look at the record. You really have more to gain by not playing us every year.)

I like this!

BudSooner
6/14/2010, 12:46 PM
Meh, pass.

Sooner in Tampa
6/14/2010, 12:48 PM
NOPE

JohnnyMack
6/14/2010, 01:17 PM
Now that we've been sold out by the **********s from Texas, would anyone else like to revisit this idea? I would.

mehip
6/14/2010, 01:24 PM
Not this one.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2010, 01:37 PM
Big 10 = No Way

rawlingsHOH
6/14/2010, 01:38 PM
While I'm here can I ask a question just to satisfy my curiosity? We all know the grand prize for the Big Ten would be the Landing of ND into the big Ten but, If somehow just out of the blue if, Later came a Big Ten offer for OU to be added, how would OU fans react? Positive or negative? At least on this board! Please: I'm an Husker/OU fan and am not trying to be a butthead.. Just a question! I know PAC ten consideration meetings are near for you all so, (It's just a What if quesion!) Maybe, deep down I'd like to see the Husker / Sooner relationship continue somehow!

1. stay in big 12
2. go to sec
3. pac 16/big 10

Dio
6/14/2010, 01:42 PM
I'd like being in the Big 10 a lot more than any of the bulls**t I'm hearing today:

Keep the Little 10 going with * in charge
Plan engineered by Dan "Minesweeper" Beebe
A&M could get up to $8M more PER YEAR than we do
No CCG
OU/* moved to Jerryworld in Dec.

No, no, no, a thousand times f**k NO!

soonerboomer93
6/14/2010, 01:46 PM
nope

LiveLaughLove
6/14/2010, 02:07 PM
The only option worse than staying in the texas rules all conference, is the big 10. Less than Zero interest.

OUthunder
6/14/2010, 02:10 PM
Had enough of watching boring football during my 11 years in Big Ten country. No freakin thanks.

GottaHavePride
6/14/2010, 02:28 PM
Order of preference:

1 - Pac-16
2 - Big 10
3 - SEC
497 - Big 12 Lite

goingoneight
6/14/2010, 03:31 PM
What do athletic conferences have to do with academics outside of association?

These are football conferences... face it. OU belongs amidst the traditional powers of the game. This is not the beach boys conference.

cheezyq
6/14/2010, 03:44 PM
I too think it's a stupid move on nebbishes part. It's certainly not going to help them recruit down in Tejas.

Dude, exactly what I have been thinking from the very beginning...same with Mizzery. Why on earth would they want to leave behind a large chunk of their recruiting base when they're just now flirting with college football relevance again?