PDA

View Full Version : ATT is terrible!

bigxii
6/13/2010, 11:58 AM
My mobile phone service has gotten really really... really bad.

80% of the calls I make/receive are dropped in the middle of the conversation. 2 out of 3 phones calls made to my phone receive the message saying the phone number is out of service.

This is happening to several people in our office. (work phones) We have multiple service tickets open with ATT but it is of no use. It is their service. Their network seems unable to support all their customers. The dropped calls are obvious. The only reason we knew about the out of service message is because our wives and work associates who KNOW the phone is working know to just call back. They've learned you get the message and just dial again 3 to 4 times till you finally get through.

If you're thinking about signing a contract with ATT. I strongly advise against it. Their service over the last month has simply been unusable. It is shockingly bad. :mad: I really think it has reached the point to where it is a breach of contract. At least in realistic terms. They're simply not delivering, or are unable to deliver, a mobile phone service. Legally, they probably have you trapped I'd guess.

I'm soooo glad I don't have them as the provider for my wife and kids that I pay the bill for. I'd be irate.

badger
6/13/2010, 12:07 PM
It is definitely not one I plan to switch to after hearing this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=52&articleid=20100603_52_E3_Shoppe356711&archive=yes) about a week ago.

I know iPhones are all the rage, but I still have a dumb phone and survive (it's not a smart phone, so it's a dumb phone)

Breadburner
6/13/2010, 12:21 PM
I have been with AT&T in one form or another for 15 years and never have any trouble at all....

bigxii
6/13/2010, 12:54 PM
AT&T hopes to ease congestion on its network, which has drawn complaints, particularly in big cities. ....

Yep. The reason they're eliminating their unlimited data package is because they know their own network can't handle it. I'll bet you don't see this in an advertisement. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 12:55 PM
I have an iPhone and use AT&T.

No complaints from me.

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 12:55 PM
Of course I'm smart enough not to live in a big city. :P

yermom
6/13/2010, 01:45 PM
love the iPhone, hate AT&T

it's sad, really

bluedogok
6/13/2010, 05:34 PM
Yep. The reason they're eliminating their unlimited data package is because they know their own network can't handle it. I'll bet you don't see this in an advertisement. :rolleyes:
None of them have the real capacity to handle all data traffic without hiccups, that is a fact. They can't expand the network at the rate they need to and keep the ridiculous profit minded shareholders happy by actually investing back into the network.

What market are you in? That has more to do with service than anything else. I had no problems when I lived in OKC but the service wasn't very good here in Austin because there was higher traffic here. I was doing cell site upgrades at the time they were updating everything to GSM and they just couldn't expand fast enough. Now six years later I don't have any issues unless I am buried inside one of the plentiful concrete tilt-wall buildings here which block pretty much any signal unless the tower happens to be on your window side of the building.

yankee
6/13/2010, 05:43 PM
just substitute ATT with any major cell provider...it's all based on personal experiences. i have ATT, and yeah, occasionally my service will suck or a call will drop...but overall, it's been very good and the customer service has been good too...so i'll recommend it to anybody that asks.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2010, 10:46 PM

actually, part of the reason is that something like 90% of the data is used by 8% of the wireless customers. That slows it down for a lot of people.

I used 320 mb of data in the last 24 days, my monthly usage is maybe 500 gb. That includes e-mail, app updates, browsing the web, browsing the espn, fox sports, usa today, syfy apps daily.

Boomer.....
6/14/2010, 07:45 AM
I have also had Cingular/AT&T for over 10 years and have never had problems with dropped calls until this year. I don't know what the deal is but about 1 out of every 5 or 10 calls ends in a network malfunction or dropped call.

SoonerJack
6/14/2010, 09:38 AM
love the iPhone, hate AT&T

it's sad, really

Yermom, based on your inspiring story of getting a 1g Iphone hacked for T-mobile, I followed suit but with a 3g. Network speeds aren't the greatest but I have had zero 0 zip zilch nada problems with it.

Plus people are intrigued by seeing the T-Mobile network where ATT usually sits. Pretty funny.

OUthunder
6/14/2010, 10:28 AM
The last few weeks I have notice many dropped calls on my iPhone. Doesn't matter if it's a local number or a long distance number, the calls just drop or simply fail to go through. Maybe they're adding new towers or something?

Scott D
6/14/2010, 04:38 PM
I've found that all cell carriers just suck in general.

yermom
6/14/2010, 04:45 PM
Yermom, based on your inspiring story of getting a 1g Iphone hacked for T-mobile, I followed suit but with a 3g. Network speeds aren't the greatest but I have had zero 0 zip zilch nada problems with it.

Plus people are intrigued by seeing the T-Mobile network where ATT usually sits. Pretty funny.

yeah, it sucks you can't get 3G

are you on a real data plan or T-Zones?