PDA

View Full Version : FedEx CEO willing to pay millions to BCS conference

Mississippi Sooner
6/13/2010, 08:23 AM
The CEO of FedEx is prepared to pay upwards of $10 million a year to a BCS conference that will add Memphis, according to an online report.

CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish, citing unnamed sources close to the Memphis program, reports Fred Smith is leading the effort to get the Tigers to move up from Conference USA.

"It could be $10 million every year for a conference to use however it sees fit," one of the sources is quoted as saying. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity. "When you think of the big picture, it could be the equivalent of a five-year, $50 million contract or a 10-year, $100 million contract. Fred is talking about a massive amount of money."

Smith, the source said, could use some of the money he'll save by not sponsoring the Orange Bowl game. SportsBusiness Journal reported last month that FedEx ended its partnership with bowl organizers.

Neither Smith nor Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson could be reached for comment Saturday. Johnson this week told the (Memphis) Commercial Appeal that he has been actively shopping the school to conferences.

"There can't be a commissioner or league out there that I haven't applied for," Johnson told the newspaper.

FedEx has naming rights deals for the FedEx Forum, home of Memphis' basketball program and the NBA's Grizzlies, and FedEx Field, the Washington Redskins' stadium. Also, Smith's son is a quarterback at Memphis.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2010-06-12/shipping-exec-willing-pay-millions-get-memphis-bcs-conference

It was a nice gesture when novelist Stephen King sponsored his son's little league team, but this is taking the rich dad thing to a whole new level.

I wonder if Smith read how T. Boone bought the Pokes' way into a new conference, so he'd see if he could do it on a faster track.

Dio
6/13/2010, 08:36 AM
See Missouri, THIS is how you whore yourself out to another conference.

badger
6/13/2010, 11:16 AM
This is one way the Big 12 might be salvaged - added Memphis would be good for basketball and bring us into a few Arky/Tennessee markets... although I know it's not a huge program.

picasso
6/13/2010, 11:20 AM
So he was rescued from that deserted island?

badger
6/13/2010, 11:24 AM
Memphis was like a lot of SWC schools, in that it got screwed when the old conference collapsed.

Before the Big East expansion to 16 teams, Memphis was in a Conference USA that was a mid-major basketball heaven. Now, that has transferred to the Big East and Memphis is stuck in a one-bid-to-the-tourney scenario (although admittedly, they had two last tourney due to a conference tourney upset, live in Tulsa! yay, Tulsa!)

(the town, not the school, unfortunately)

Anyway, Memphis got left behind, just like Rice, TCU, SMU et al got left behind when the SWC collapsed. Good for Memphis trying to move up.

Sooner5030
6/13/2010, 11:53 AM
Memphis and BYU are net gains for a salvaged BIG12. Most will right off "bring them Young" but more fans in Salt Lake watch BYU than do fans in San Fran of CAL. BYU also has a national following and a decent Football program. Utah has a better overall Atheletic program but doesn't have the same apeal from football standpoint.

AFA would also be a good option.

Right now UT and OU would be #1&2 respectively in PAC__ budgets. Why are we in such a panic to join that conference?

badger
6/13/2010, 12:04 PM
I think that rather than go to a 16-team conference, we should have two 8-team conferences that have agreements to have revenue sharing (for a bigger TV deal) and tons of matchups between the two conferences across all sports... so two conferences in name only, to con the BCS into letting us have up to four teams in, but at least two autos, as opposed to one auto and one at-large possibility.

(and if you think that's screwing the BCS over, remember that the Big East only had 8 football teams too, with 16 teams total for the rest of the sports, like basketball)

However, if the goal were to salvage the Big 12, we at least have to look at Memphis and then a western team, like Utah or BYU or even AFA.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Btw, does anyone else still call them "Mem-pis" after seeing this sign?
http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/images/2008/02/20/memphisuab.jpg

I haven't called them "Memphis" ever since :D

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 03:39 PM
"It could be $10 million every year for a conference to use however it sees fit," one of the sources is quoted as saying. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity. "When you think of the big picture, it could be the equivalent of a five-year, $50 million contract or a 10-year, $100 million contract."

Those guys are just geniuses.

the_ouskull
6/13/2010, 05:03 PM
Explains the anonymity.

the_ouskull

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 05:43 PM
What does Memphis bring to a conference outside of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ now? Anything? Their football team is worse than awful and their basketball team isn't nearly as good without Calipari.

IronSooner
6/13/2010, 08:31 PM
That sign is from a UAB fan. According to Memphis fans they're the lowest lifeform in this part of the south.

Memphis is basically another Okie St. Most years they're decent in BBall, they were good under Cal, and might still be good under Pastner with the recruits he's bringing in. They're awful in football and don't really care about anything else. They consider Tennessee their biggest rival, but UT doesn't care about them at all. Their campus isn't that great and it's basically a commuter school - nobody actually lives there.

That said they are pumping money into renovating the empty fields around their stadium (Libertybowl, nowhere near campus) to make it tailgate-friendly, and the plans do look nice. I still wouldn't offer them though. They belong in a C-USA-type conference.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 08:35 PM
Have you been to Memphis -- not someplace I would take a road trip. When we visited Graceland, we stayed on the grounds and then got out as fast as possible. I don't like driving through Memphis. Tough town.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 09:48 PM
Have you been to Memphis

Yes. Best BBQ in the country. ;)

boomerborn79
6/13/2010, 09:51 PM

Beal street is awesome... but thats it..

BudSooner
6/13/2010, 10:22 PM
Horse-****, Knotty Pine in Sand Springs is the best.

Vanns over on NW10th&Meridian isn't bad either, that and they feature Jerome Bettis Bbq sauce makes it better.:D

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 10:28 PM
Better than the Rendezvous? I might entertain an argument for Dreamland, but that's about it. I freakin' HATE the sugary Kansas City-style crap they call sauce.

Van's Pig Stand is pretty good, but the sauce is still too thick and sweet. More vinegar and heat, plzkthx.