PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mountain West eyes KU, Mizzou

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 02:49 PM
The Mountain West Conference was a geographical misnomer from the beginning, as it launched with San Diego State among its eight original teams before adding TCU in 2005 and Boise State on Friday.

And the conference's reach doesn't appear to be stopping there.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State are on the Mountain West's radar amid a continuing shakeup of the Big 12.

But Baylor isn't considered a candidate to join the conference, with TCU standing staunchly in its way, the Fort Worth newspaper reported, citing unnamed sources.

Excerpt: Read more at http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

Leroy Lizard
6/12/2010, 02:52 PM
Somehow we need to transport some of this gossipin' and rumorin' to the eastern portion of the U.S. It's relatively quiet there.

John Kochtoston
6/12/2010, 02:57 PM
If the remaining Big 12 schools are smart, they'll invite the cream of the MWC crop into the Big 12, not vice versa. That would allow the conference to keep the penalty money from the schools that are leaving, and would allow them to keep the Big 12 name. That is if a merger with the MWC is inevitable.

John Kochtoston
6/12/2010, 03:17 PM
By remaining, I mean the schools Kansas, Mizzou and Iowa State. And Baylor, I guess.

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 03:30 PM
If the remaining Big 12 schools are smart, they'll invite the cream of the MWC crop into the Big 12, not vice versa. That would allow the conference to keep the penalty money from the schools that are leaving, and would allow them to keep the Big 12 name. That is if a merger with the MWC is inevitable.

I was wondering if that was the case. If these schools go to the MWC, then we owe no money because they would have dissolved the Big 12?

ratherthanlater
6/12/2010, 03:31 PM
Does the MWC get an automatic BCS bowl bid? If not I think taking the best of the MWC and bringing em to the big 12 as Mr. Kochtoston said above would be the best idea.

SoonerLB
6/12/2010, 03:44 PM
How silly of the MWC to consider Mizzou, don't they know Mizzou is waiting on that invitation from the Big 10? ;)

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 03:45 PM
Does the MWC get an automatic BCS bowl bid? If not I think taking the best of the MWC and bringing em to the big 12 as Mr. Kochtoston said above would be the best idea.

The answer is no BCS bid yet for the Mountain West. You are thinking logically which seems to be missing from some of this realignment like what you just brought up. Would make much more sense but then again they might not want Beebee either. Not sure I would want the group that runs the Big 12 running my conference.

BIGC
6/13/2010, 08:41 AM
Lets face it if OU and U* leave there is no big 12 and Beebe won't attempt to save it. If I was MWC I would shoot for a structure that looked a little something like this.

EAST
TCU
Colorado State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
San Diego State
Navy or Tulsa

WEST
Utah
BYU
Boise State
New Mexico
Wyoming
Air Force
UNLV
Army or Houston

Army and Navy travel well, but they like being indy so they can go everywhere and recruit. If you can't get them Tulsa and Houston would be about the best fill ins to 16 they are going to get right now, and quite frankly I enjoy watching both of those schools play and would love to see them on TV more often.

Just my thoughts not based on anything other than me thinking out loud. Might be insanity but it is an option for the MWC and one I would expect they push towards if they want any shot at any credability at all. You have 5 schools in there that on any given year one of them could have a shot at a decent bowl game, plus adding the Houston Martket would be nice for them. The west is a little weak in Football though and soem schools are simply tag alongs, but even the Big 12 had tag alongs IMO.

MeMyself&Me
6/13/2010, 09:19 AM
The Big 12 needs 9 votes to effect any change and I've seen nothing that indicates that there's a special clause that requires fewer votes to dissolve the conference. Schools that stay in the Big 12, even in a weakened one, stand to make a good deal of money just in terms of the penalties from the schools leaving. Also, there's the BCS tie in as well. So, unless 9 schools find a better deal that's worth leaving for, I think you'll see the Big 12 survive in some form. Right now, we have Nebraska to the Big 10 and Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State going to the Pac 10. If aTm goes to the Pac 10 that gets it up to 7 schools. If aTm goes to the SEC and Kansas then goes to the Pac 10 then that gets it up to 8 schools. Still short of the 9 votes. I think the Big 12 survives in name and adds more schools but becomes something more like what the Moutain West is now. I just can't see the remaining schools giving up at an opportunity to collect on that money.