PDA

View Full Version : Very smart for OU to remain with Texas...

Soonerus
6/11/2010, 11:59 PM
long term That is the right deal...i

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2010, 01:38 AM
long term That is the right deal...iWe will play their sorry as*es in that "Neutral City" the second sat in October every year, no matter which conference either of us is in.

delhalew
6/12/2010, 02:15 AM
We will play their sorry as*es in that "Neutral City" the second sat in October every year, no matter which conference either of us is in.

Dude give it up. I've been trying all day...apparently we are nothing without Texas. I can't blame the media for saying it, because that's the way we are behaving.

6/12/2010, 02:51 AM
Dude give it up. I've been trying all day...apparently we are nothing without Texas. I can't blame the media for saying it, because that's the way we are behaving.I DO want to play them. It's a great tradition, and I think it helps with recruiting down there. BUT, I would be absolutely giddy if we told Dallas to ef-off, and played them Cows home and home. I don't give a *rap what conference tx is in, but I'm glad we have chosen to go Pac 10, for several reasons, rather than sec sec sec sec sec.

yermom
6/12/2010, 03:26 AM
spoken like someone who lives a few states away and wouldn't have to deal with wh0rns invading their town every other year ;)

although, that's not for long, apparently

Sooner5030
6/12/2010, 03:30 AM
Conference alignment has nothing to do with OU/Texas. It would remain in Dallas regardless.

I can't believe a program with so many wins, NCs and history would simply fold under a little pressure. No matter what league we ended up with OU would be able to go to the BCS.

I'd rather kept the old BIG8 teams and added a few (AFA/BYU). If the MWC gets an auto bid so would the BIG12.

Now we are stuck with CST games, have to pay 50% revenue for two years just to join a conference that MAY pay $1 million more split per year.

NO thanks

yermom
6/12/2010, 03:36 AM
if the Big 12 would have been the first to start grabbing teams that might have happened

the ESPiN guys seem to think the conference money is going from ~$10MM to ~$20MM in this deal though

ashley
6/12/2010, 06:50 AM
Lets get real, we need the tu game more than they do.

crawfish
6/12/2010, 08:27 AM
We will play their sorry as*es in that "Neutral City" the second sat in October every year, no matter which conference either of us is in.

If both A&M and OU are OOC for Texas, I doubt they'd agree to play both annually, and I'd bet there would be significant in-state pressure to keep the UT-A&M rivalry. I wouldn't count on keeping OU-texas intact without being in the same conference.

stoopified
6/12/2010, 08:32 AM
It is smarter for UT to remain wth OU.

PrideTrombone
6/12/2010, 08:52 AM
Conference alignment has nothing to do with OU/Texas. It would remain in Dallas regardless.

I can't believe a program with so many wins, NCs and history would simply fold under a little pressure. No matter what league we ended up with OU would be able to go to the BCS.

I'd rather kept the old BIG8 teams and added a few (AFA/BYU). If the MWC gets an auto bid so would the BIG12.

Now we are stuck with CST games, have to pay 50% revenue for two years just to join a conference that MAY pay $1 million more split per year.

NO thanks

Until the new TV contract gets negotiated with a conference that includes old Big 8 teams and AFA/BYU. Guess what? We'd probably get even less TV $$ then. This is horrible, this idea.

Sooner5030
6/12/2010, 10:09 AM
Until the new TV contract gets negotiated with a conference that includes old Big 8 teams and AFA/BYU. Guess what? We'd probably get even less TV $$ then. This is horrible, this idea.

Nothing is for certian but do the math...if the PAC ___ doubles its current contract and splits among 16 schools it will still be less than the current BIG12 split to OU.

This is on top of paying ~12 million to leave the BIG12. You also need to take into account that CST conferences have a built in discount in negotiating since the east coast is already asleep during their night games.

Rushing to get in a conference so you're not the last 6 standing is a horrible idea. WE'd get picked up in the next round anyway.

JLEW1818
6/12/2010, 10:12 AM
OU and Texas in the same conference, will be a respected conference, regardless of who the **** is in it.

in my opinion.

now I'm going away for a while, i can't stand these conference rumors anymore!!!! I'll be back when everything is finalized!

yah~!

IronHorseSooner
6/12/2010, 10:16 AM
As much as they are a pain, it's the smart decision to stay with *. The main reason would be recruiting. Second, it will be THE MAIN rivalry in the conference. Yes, there will be other named rivalry games (Apple Cup, Civil War, The Game, the Battle for LA, OU-OSU, and the Lonestar Boot), but this will have the most impact across the conference, as it does now.

6/12/2010, 10:23 AM
If both A&M and OU are OOC for Texas, I doubt they'd agree to play both annually, and I'd bet there would be significant in-state pressure to keep the UT-A&M rivalry. I wouldn't count on keeping OU-texas intact without being in the same conference.Maybe, but I could see us playing every other yr, or some kind of scheduling, under your scenario.

delhalew
6/12/2010, 10:23 AM
As much as they are a pain, it's the smart decision to stay with *. The main reason would be recruiting. Second, it will be THE MAIN rivalry in the conference. Yes, there will be other named rivalry games (Apple Cup, Civil War, The Game, the Battle for LA, OU-OSU, and the Lonestar Boot), but this will have the most impact across the conference, as it does now.

I should hope so...it is the MAIN rivalry in the COUNTRY as it stands right now. I simply choose to believe that would be the case regardless of conference.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/12/2010, 10:43 AM
if the Big 12 would have been the first to start grabbing teams that might have happened

the ESPiN guys seem to think the conference money is going from ~$10MM to ~$20MM in this deal though

So ..what would've been the appeal for big market fteams to join thenbign12?
Rich tradition? Nope we've been around for 14 years
Money? Nope we havebthe worst tv deal of any major conference.

We had nothing to offer big market schools....IM sure we could offered TCU air force and the byu's of the world a spot...but they don't deliver tv mArkets that bring us more $$$$$

Kevin wieberg had the vision of a big 12 tv network when he was the comish

the schools should've jumped on board..this mY not be happening now.

He is now with the PAC 10 and essentially raiding us with. And
saying"I told ya so"

Soonermagik
6/12/2010, 10:51 AM
I've said it before, but it's a bitter marriage that benefits both parties.

StatesEye
6/12/2010, 11:36 AM
I don't think we "have" to have Texas. Furthermore, it could be a huge mistake of going to the PAC-10 as others have pointed out based on numerous circumstances. True, academically the PAC-10 is more prestigious with the likes of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. However, its not particularly clear to me how OU joining the Pac-10 is going to help OU academically. Furthermore, the PAC-10 will take a discount on viewership based on time zone dislocation. Then there is the "culture" issue. The SEC is way more aligned with OU in that regard than the PAC-10.

Thre horns are a west coast, cultural elitist wannabes. I think it's a bad idea to let them drag us in that direction. Times are a changing.....that is for sure and OU is going to have to take some limited risks. Therefore, I think........

Move to the SEC with Texas A&M. A&M will have to play us for conference reasons. A&M can then decide if they want to continue their rivalry with Texas. After 2015, OU and Texas A&M can play in the Cotton Bowl. Texas can then find a new rival with the new buddies in the west. Texas in this scenario will lose their biggest rival, and stand a good chance to lose A&M, as well. Texas will also have to take the time zone discount with them to the PAC-10, while the new SEC's market share of the Texas market grows.

Also, re-establish an annual game with Nebraska. The Big 10 stops play the first or second week of Novermber, anyway. OU and Nebraska can play in late November, again. Many times, this game may be between the team "on the way" to the SEC championship vs the team "on the way" to the Big 10 championship. That game will generate a lot of revenue for both the SEC and Big 10.

Lastly, since this is all about money.....a move to the SEC will secure a much bigger paycheck of OU. All this "wait until we re-negotiate a new TV deal" with an expanded PAC-10 is far from certain.

My thoughts, anyway......not that it will matter much. What happens is what happens and OU will be fine. I just think OU would do better in the SEC.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/12/2010, 11:55 AM
I'm a business owner ....
I take pride in ownership...being the boss...and being able to do what I generally want to do

I hAvre some really large customers that really influence what I do....and some times they cause me to do things Rather not do....because its where the money comes from .... I don't HAVE to have them....but I like the benefits

We are a great university with rich tradition...a great fan base..... huge crowds....No we don't HAVE to have Texas.... But financially they sweeten the deal...it makes sense to make a decision basedon what they are doing

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 12:37 PM
The PAC 10 gets OU into more research dollars and academically is a better conference than the SEC. Pres Boren is trying to build OU into a university that is second to none. He has done a good job so far but getting in with the research universities of the PAC 10 is a win situation.

As for Texas, believe the two schools are better together than apart and from all accounts the two have been working together with each other for a long time. You want a financial deal -- put OU/TX together and we get the best terms. Some people have twisted the words to make it sound like we are following Texas around when we are joining with Texas. Pointed out the exact wording early this week.

We have zero in common with the Aggies and their pseudo corps of cadets who don't even have to join the military after graduation or their band where a lot of members don't play but can march. Now you can ask -- how do you know? Our neighbor's son was a member of the Corps and the band plus my husband's boss was an A&M grad who told it like it was.

Lived in Texas and would rather have a Longhorn fan living next to me than an Aggie. A person on the road we had to pass every morning built a small replica of their bonfire -- set it on fire and it caught the field on fire and went right up to his house before they got it out.

Give me a Longhorn over an Aggie any day!

Sooner5030
6/12/2010, 12:51 PM
The PAC 10 gets OU into more research dollars and academically is a better conference than the SEC.

Correlation is not causation. WSU & OSU haven’t exactly benefited from being in the same conference as Stanford and CAL. It’s an ATHLETIC conference.

StatesEye
6/12/2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your comments, SoonerMom-

I've heard this "joing the PAC-10 gets OU more research dollars" a lot lately. Specifically, I don't know how that would happen. It's kinda like saying "you are wearing an OU uniform....you must be a winner." No.....you still have to earn it.

I understand your comments about Aggies. I attended grad school there for 5+ years. Strange bunch. However, UT does not carry the entire Texas market. If A&M goes to the SEC, then the SEC is going to get significant market share of Texas. A&M is not a national brand, but they are branded well in Texas.

Here is a question......if it is all about market share and not about brand name, then why did the Big 10 take Nebraska and not Missouri?

College football is a national sport and fans want to watch brand names. For example, would you watch OSU vs Missouri over Florida vs Tenn? As a fan of the game, I'd much more likely watch Florida vs Tenn. Now, market size is important. A&M and OU together would capture almost as much of the Texas market as UT. If you throw in the time zone differential plus the following match ups......

OU vs Alabama
OU vs LSU
OU vs Tenn
OU vs Florida
OU vs Florida St (SEC would take two teams for the east to balance)
OU vs Clemson or Miami (see above comments in parenthesis)

weighed against

UT vs USC
UT vs UCLA (sorta)
and......and......and......

Then OU to the SEC makes much more financial sense than following UT to the PAC-10.

boomerborn79
6/12/2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your comments, SoonerMom-

I've hear this "joing the PAC-10 gets OU more research dollars" a lot lately. Specifically, I don't know how that would happen. It's kinda like saying "you are wearing an OU uniform....you must be a winner." No.....you still have to earn it.

I understand your comments about Aggies. I attended grad school there for 5+ years. Strange bunch. However, UT does not carry the entire Texas market. If A&M goes to the SEC, then the SEC is going to get significant market share of Texas. A&M is not a national brand, but they are branded well in Texas.

Here is a question......if it is all about market share and not about brand name, then why did the Big 10 take Nebraska and not Missouri?

College football is a national sport and fans want to watch brand names. For example, would you watch OSU vs Missouri over Florida vs Tenn? As a fan of the game, I'd much more likely watch Florida vs Tenn. Now, market size is important. A&M and OU together would capture almost as much of the Texas market as UT. If you throw in, the time zone differential plus the following match ups......

OU vs Alabama
OU vs LSU
OU vs Tenn
OU vs Florida
OU vs Florida St (SEC would take two teams for the east to balance)
OU vs Clemson or Miami (see above comments in parenthesis)

weighed against

UT vs USC
UT vs UCLA (sorta)
and......and......and......

Then OU to the SEC makes much more financial sense than following UT to the PAC-10.

^^^^^This
Plus no one watches PAC ten football. Those are the the after party games. I said in another thread revenue from sellout games against those SEC teams would be much better than from AU and ASU. AU,ASU don't excite me at all hell Arkansas brings so much more of a wow factoer then AU. OH and this worry about loosing the RRR is a bit much, no way does OU an tu loose the most interesting rivalry in america, and if its an SEC vs PAC?? then its an automatic tv billabuster.

JohnnyMack
6/12/2010, 01:23 PM
The lack of vision some of you are showing is mindboggling. The revised TV contract and new TV network that will emerge from the PAC-16 will be a stunner. I'd honestly think about including Utah over Texas A&M at this point and further increase the number of homes in which the PAC-16 is exposed to. Aggie can go to the SEC for all I care.

SoonerInKCMO
6/12/2010, 01:24 PM
Correlation is not causation. WSU & OSU haven’t exactly benefited from being in the same conference as Stanford and CAL. It’s an ATHLETIC conference.

Yeah, but they're aggies - they'll never be anything academically. ;)

StatesEye
6/12/2010, 01:33 PM
The lack of vision some of you are showing is mindboggling. The revised TV contract and new TV network that will emerge from the PAC-16 will be a stunner. I'd honestly think about including Utah over Texas A&M at this point and further increase the number of homes in which the PAC-16 is exposed to. Aggie can go to the SEC for all I care.

Hey, Johnny-

Perhaps I don't have the "vison". I admit that. Can you tell me how the PAC-16 is going to get more money per school than a 14-team SEC or 12-team Big 10. Honestly, I just don't see how that is going to happen.

If potential market was all that important, then the PAC-10 would be making more than the current Big 12........is it?

I'd like to hear your comments......just a friendly inquiry.

boomerborn79
6/12/2010, 01:34 PM

Ya cause right now the Pac ten has a great one and when they add OU and UT it will be better. BUt the fact is SEC is way better now and if OU went to SEC it would be Far better then anything the Pac?? could come up with. You know why because the east coast watches football and its tradition even the women know football. The west coast not so much...If OU went to the SEC they would make more money.. You forget that this proposed tv contract money from the pac ten is proposed, if another conference is better and brings in more appeal then the pac ten ain't getting the best tv contract. If all conferences go to 16 then you want to be in the one that has the most tv appeal and thats the SEC

OUthunder
6/12/2010, 01:41 PM
Financially, it's a win for OU. Recruiting wise I'm just not sure. Tradition wise, it sucks not to get to play NU but that was railroaded by the Big XII for the most part anyway on a yearly basis. It just sucks to be in a league with Oregon, USC, and UCLA. Hopefully, the new league will bring with it, new referees.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/12/2010, 01:50 PM
Question: If we have a choice... or could negotiate a choice...

Would you make your bed with the Big 10 and Nebraska and try to keep the 2nd Saturday ooc against the shorthorns,

Or are you insistent on making it with Texas in the West and have to deal with their apathetic fan bases?

My point is that moving west is not a big win for OU. It is a big win for the Pac 10. If it's sunny or a nice day, those folks are at the beach, or on the water or up in the mountains smokin' pot. They certainly aren't at the stadiums watching college football, and they certainly aren't inside watching college football. Their television market share is overrated. Big cities, but little interest in the product. I would offer that there will be more actual television sets tuned to "Pac-16" football east of the Rockies than west... Arizona possibly being the exception. But make no mistake Phoenix is already Big 10 country with its retirees.

Worried about our exposure in Texas taking a hit? Don't. We just have to bite the bullet and set up more ooc home-and-home games with SMU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Rice, etc. Those teams have plenty of interest in trying to take their shot at OU in order to make a name (and get the big game-day payout.)

And if Texas is out west, in a 12 team conference... i.e. they are the last to join (Pac-10 will not take Tech and oSu without OU), they have more than enough scheduling room to keep the RRS.

Now the die are cast my opinion is we should get together with Iowa State, Kansas, and Mizzou and petition for Big 10 membership. (Remember, one of the stated goals of the Big 10 in expansion was to move south.) They would have to make the concession that we are the only non-AAU (their Rose Bowl play pal already has 3 non-AAU members), but we could pledge to dump the $$$ necessary to even further upgrade and get there.

Big 10 would very naturally look like this:

West:
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma

East:
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

This is pie-in-the-sky, but would make much more sense for OU (think non-revenue sports); and, if television contracts are the driver in all of this, this would give us a much larger market share.

P.S. The big 10 would love to add KU, MU, ISU, and OU for basketball as well. That would give their conference a serious shot in the arm for that sport.

JohnnyMack
6/12/2010, 01:53 PM
Hey, Johnny-

Perhaps I don't have the "vison". I admit that. Can you tell me how the PAC-16 is going to get more money per school than a 14-team SEC or 12-team Big 10. Honestly, I just don't see how that is going to happen.

If potential market was all that important, then the PAC-10 would be making more than the current Big 12........is it?

I'd like to hear your comments......just a friendly inquiry.

Take the current PAC-10 states, add in Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. Think of the markets you're adding. Salt Lake, Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio.

That's a hell of a population total. Go to any network and tell them to pony up the cake. It'll happen.

And honestly, at the end of the day I'd rather get paid the same money the SEC will and be in a conference where we're one of the top 3 teams and not struggling to stay in the top half of the SEC.

6/12/2010, 02:37 PM
Aggie can go fondle itself for all I care.fixed

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 02:42 PM
Take the current PAC-10 states, add in Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. Think of the markets you're adding. Salt Lake, Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio.

That's a hell of a population total. Go to any network and tell them to pony up the cake. It'll happen.

And honestly, at the end of the day I'd rather get paid the same money the SEC will and be in a conference where we're one of the top 3 teams and not struggling to stay in the top half of the SEC.

Exactly! Much rather be part of the Top 3 -- Oregon was saying they will now be #4 not #2 with the addition of OU and Texas.

If they added Kansas instead of Utah, they were be adding KC and St. Louis if A&M bolts which I hope they do as well.

For those who don't understand research dollars, have you have ever heard of a consortium of colleges working together on a research project? It would be great for our University to team up with say a Stanford on a project they are both researching. The possibilities are endless. PAC 10 has some huge research dollars and no reason that OU, TX, and CO cannot start getting involved and sharing in those dollars and bring in more dollars for research. That is what flagship universities of a state are all about -- a wide variety of things.

Big 10 doesn't fit our style of play in football and it is an old stodgy conference no matter that it has a huge TV contract. Can you say Chicago? Why do you think they keep Northwestern around -- usually not very good but they are in Chicago and private.

We lived in So Cal and were at a Dodger game one time when they announced that all the major games of the day were sell outs in Los Angeles including UCLA. Watching PAC 10 football after getting home from our games at night shows a lot of rabid fans at their schools.

Think some of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. From all the accounts the people who traveled to the University of Washington they had a great time and I know their fans were some of the best I have met at OU games.

It is time for OU to show the Pac 10 what Sooners are all about -- we are the major flagship university of Oklahoma from sports to academics to research.

OU Adonis
6/12/2010, 02:44 PM
6 NC's without Texas, 1 with Texas

SactoSooner
6/12/2010, 02:45 PM
Right on, SoonerMom!

delhalew
6/12/2010, 04:01 PM
I find it interesting that some of you are now in love with a conference we justly ridicule.
This is about FOOTBALL and TV MONEY. Not one without the other. A move to the SEC or even the BigSlow, keeps the FOOTBALL at a level that is appropriate and raises the TV MONEY were it should be.
You all need to think about this before you go off half cocked all giddy about joining the PAC 10 whom Bob Stoops was rightly considering no longer sceduling a couple of years ago. The PAC 10 is a joke that wants to be a joke + OKlahoma and Texas.

Sabanball
6/12/2010, 04:12 PM
I simply cannot believe you guys are 'playing ball' with Texas on this one.

I really think this is a decision that your school is going to eventually regret. Culturally, politically, and geographically, you guys are much more of a fit for the SEC than the Left Coast-based PAC 10. I cannot necessarily say that about folks in Boulder, Colorado, or even Austin, TX. Yes, the schedule would be tougher, but 'iron sharpens iron', and the OU that I've always known and grew up watching always wanted to play the best--not be stuck in a touch football league like the PAC 10. You would be in the premiere football conference in the country, and would be enhancing it even moreso. Also, I don't see why the RRS could not be preserved if you guys came east--thus you should still be able to keep satisfied the huge segment of your fan and alumni base in Houston and the metroplex that has most of the tie-ins to the state of Texas and its fans.

I've heard all the arguments about how you guys 'have' to follow Texas, but I'm not buying it--not for one second. OU is a stand -alone institution in its own right and your tradition can't even be touched by Texas, in terms of winning percentage and number of championships. In terms of PR right now, you almost look like a woman with battered wife syndrome following her abusive husband as he decides to move across the country. Sad.:(

yermom
6/12/2010, 04:26 PM
i think the more Big 12 schools are eventually in the conference we go to, the better sense it makes geographically. if only a couple went to the SEC, then every conference road game is pretty far away

and as someone that's been to a lot of road games, there are worse places to go than Oregon, California, Washington and Arizona. the Big 10 ain't gonna offer that. to a lesser extent, the SEC doesn't either

as far as football is concerned, find me a better division than the Big 12 South. it's about to get even tougher.

if the SEC expanded to get teams like OU and Texas it would be a Herculean task to get through that conference unscathed and the Big 10/whatever and the Pac 10/whatever would have a lot easier time getting to the BCS championship

delhalew
6/12/2010, 04:27 PM
If it's any consolation I wish we were heading east were they play a game called football. Instead we are going west to play hacky sack.

StatesEye
6/13/2010, 08:15 AM
I've tried to apply a metric to all of this......please correct me if my numbers are wrong. Numbers are of last year.

Big 10
Population footprint-65.8 million
Number of schools-11
Revenue to each school-$22 million
Per capita revenue per school-$3.68

SEC
Population footprint-54.3 million
Number of schools-12
Revenue to each school-$17 million
Per capita revenue per school-$3.77

Big 12
Population footprint-43.7 million
Number of schools-12
Revenue to each school (ave)-$8 million
Per capita revenue per school-$2.20

PAC 10
Population footprint-50.8 million
Number of schools-10
Revenue to each school (ave)-$9 million (I'm guessing here, but its not much more than Big 12, if that)
Per capita revenue per school-$1.77

So the question I have is.....why is the PAC 10 selling at such a discount. There are only a few reasons I can think of.
1. The league leaders are idiots.....and the four of us going to this conference is not going to change this.
2. The time difference puts a damper on the market value.
3. The culture (not nearly as college football-centric as the Big 10 or SEC) puts a damper on the market value.
4. Lack of brand name programs (nationally) puts a damper on the market value.

Frankly, I don't see how OU and Texas joining the PAC 10 is going to change any of those above, excepting number 4.

The best "deal" would be for OU and Texas to join the SEC. All others can find a new home. At last year's rates, then the metric for the SEC becomes....

Population footprint-80.2 million
Last year's per capita revenue per school of $3.77 (this will go up)
Total pay out to SEC-$302.4 million
Pay out per school-approx $21 million

I'll say it again.....I just don't see how an expanded PAC 10 will gather $20 million per school. They sell at a discount now. Perhaps everyone will get bumped to around $12 million per school. Not much more, IMO.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2010, 08:29 AM
I'll bet you $100 right now that if OU joins the PAC that it takes in more than 12 million a year.

StatesEye
6/13/2010, 09:09 AM
I'll bet you $100 right now that if OU joins the PAC that it takes in more than 12 million a year.

In this economy?........are you nuts!?:eek:

Actually, I may take this bet.....but not if the "line" is right at 12 million. I did say "not much more".

12 million or less.....$100 to me.
15.5 million or more......$100 to you.

In between those numbers.....I'll tell everyone on the board that you have more vision than I and will buy you a beer (or whatever) at the first PAC-16 game in Norman.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 05:50 PM
You guys have only been in the same conference with Texas for 14 yrs, and now all of a sudden you cannot be without them? Sorry I just don't get it. IF anything, I think being in a separate conference HELPS you in recruiting in that state. You have the selling point of 'hey, come play with the big boys and us in the SEC, or....go play flag football in the aerial circus league known as the PAC 10 with Texas".

I must say though, as each hour passes, it looks more and more like you guys will play follow the leader with Texas. I hate to see it, and my guess is you will regret it later on.

Oh well, have fun playing in front of 50-60,000 in the LA coliseum, Husky stadium, or wherever. And I hear the tofu is real good out there too...;)

soonervegas
6/13/2010, 05:56 PM
I think there is more at play than just following Texas. OSU is going where we are going and I do not think SEC is willing to take that on. OU does not want to be in a situation where both our remaining rivals are in a different conference. Texas is in a similar predicament. They can't go without Tech. Pac 10, I believe, is the only one with a UT/OSU/OU/TT offer on the table.

Sabanball
6/13/2010, 06:04 PM
Ironically, right now I think TAMU--more specifically, six men on their BOR, including Gene Stallings--holds the key to what could ultimately happen.

I think this house of cards that UT has built could all come tumbling down in one fell swoop IF TAMU doesn't cave to pressure from Austin and bolts for the SEC. The aggies going east was NEVER supposed to happen, remember? Supposedly there is a 6-3 majority on that board right now that supports going to the SEC, and I think it will hold up. Guys like Gene Stallings are not wet behind the ears and will not be intimidated by Texas. Furthermore, I think Texas's threat to isolate them and not play them in anything unless they 'play ball' like you guys are has only backfired.

The next few days should be very interesting....

tulsaoilerfan
6/13/2010, 10:12 PM
Didn't we get along okay for about 80 years or so being in a different conference than Texas?

delhalew
6/13/2010, 10:30 PM
Didn't we get along okay for about 80 years or so being in a different conference than Texas?

Bah! Didn't you know the whorns have a lein on the University of Oklahoma?

Texas to OU "Come play with the tofu eaters or you'll never play us again". If you think the legislature in Texas will let that happen, you need to lay off the ganja.

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 10:58 PM
Bah! Didn't you know the whorns have a lein on the University of Oklahoma?

Line?

Lien?

Reign?

delhalew
6/13/2010, 11:10 PM
Line?

Lien?

Reign?

loin?