PDA

View Full Version : OU clearly wants to stay put

rawlingsHOH
6/11/2010, 10:29 PM
wanted, at least...

Oklahoma, Kansas and Baylor are spearheading the drive to prove the economic viability of a 10-member Big 12.

"It would also allow us to play a nine-game schedule in football and an 18-game schedule in basketball, both of which are appealing to our administrators and our fans," McCaw said. "The 10-team model is positive in a lot of ways. Plus, it limits travel and missed class time, so we think it would be best for our student-athletes, as well. So we're bullish on the 10-team model moving forward, and we think it's best for everything."

Dio
6/12/2010, 10:45 AM
That's great...if we want to be as relevant in football as the Ivy League.

"Remember 50 years ago when we mattered?" /b12 50 yrs from now

Sooner5030
6/12/2010, 11:18 AM
At least some folks have tactical patience and are willing to explore all the options before submitting to the PAC__ in a PANIC.

Lets see….we can leave the BIG12 (current TV contract for ~79million) for about $12 million in exit fees and join a 16 team PAC__ (current TV contract for ~53 million) all for the promise that the PAC__ contract will increase x 4. Then the remaining BIG12 teams will get to split ~80 million from the teams that leave and can dissolve 2 years later when they hop to the MWC/C-USE.

HBick
6/12/2010, 11:19 AM
Agree, the Big 12 is dead, and if OU tries to keep the Big 12 viable they are just refusing to pull the plug. It's ignorant to think that this is viable, even the fans realize the conference is dead.

It doesn't matter what they do, add BYU? Wow, who cares, you lost Nebraska. It doesn't matter, it's time to cut the losses and move on. I really think it would be a bad move to try and make the Big 12 viable.

Jacie
6/12/2010, 11:34 AM
Replace Colorado with an invite to Colorado State (restores that Rocky Mountain connection) and Nebraska with an invite to SMU and the Big XII continues. Move aggie to the North Division, maybe they can win up there. Having SMU gives the Texas schools another reason not to bolt (another game in-state for them!), and helps restore Mustang football to D-1 status being in a BCS conference.

Denver_Sooner
6/12/2010, 11:41 AM
All of this change is kinda hard for my little brain to process. All I know is that I am a die hard Sooner. This is politics and money which is way above my pay grade.

However, on the surface, it looks like OU really has no other choice but to join the so called "Super Conference." Kinda like Walmart swallowing up all the little stores telling them,"If you want to survive, then you have no other choice but to join us."

Part of me actually likes the idea of seeing OU play USC every other year. Change is good.

I will admit though, I'm sure there is a larger picture here that I am not seeing.

HBick
6/12/2010, 11:52 AM
Colorado State and SMU in no way improve the Big 12. Neither replaces Colorado let alone the glaring hole that was Nebraska.

The Big 12 is dying/will be dead due to lack of people in the Midwest unfortunately. It's all about the almighty dollar, and SMU/CSU do nothing to improve our dollar intake sadly.

John Kochtoston
6/12/2010, 11:54 AM
Replace Colorado with an invite to Colorado State (restores that Rocky Mountain connection) and Nebraska with an invite to SMU and the Big XII continues. Move aggie to the North Division, maybe they can win up there. Having SMU gives the Texas schools another reason not to bolt (another game in-state for them!), and helps restore Mustang football to D-1 status being in a BCS conference.

Are you seriously suggesting SMU as a viable replacement for Nebraska?

PDXsooner
6/12/2010, 11:56 AM
As Natalie Merchant put it "Go West, paradise is there, you'll find all that you can eat of milk & honey over there..."

Leroy Lizard
6/12/2010, 12:02 PM
wanted, at least...

Oklahoma, Kansas and Baylor are spearheading the drive to prove the economic viability of a 10-member Big 12.

"It would also allow us to play a nine-game schedule in football and an 18-game schedule in basketball, both of which are appealing to our administrators and our fans," McCaw said. "The 10-team model is positive in a lot of ways. Plus, it limits travel and missed class time, so we think it would be best for our student-athletes, as well. So we're bullish on the 10-team model moving forward, and we think it's best for everything."

Without TX and NU, the Big 12 would be looked at as a one-team conference. It won't turn into the Ivy League (those teams actually voted to deemphasize sports) but more like the Mountain West (now that Boise St. has jumped on).

I don't think it would be all doom and gloom. Playing in a minor conference hasn't hurt Boise St. much.

Sooner95
6/12/2010, 12:06 PM
As much as I hate to see this happen, and for some reason the Big12 gets treated like dogcrap, staying in the Big12 now would not work.

I liked being not associated with the pompous asses on the left coast, but so be it. Now we will get to beat the crap out of them in FB, hoops and Baseball each year.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/12/2010, 12:07 PM
Its pretty evident
That the b12 is dead.....but there are 14 years, tons of man hours and millions of dollars invested in it. I don't think our guys are believing a pipe dream....I just think they are making absolutely sure there is no pulse before throwing all that investment into the crematorium

SanJoaquinSooner
6/12/2010, 12:18 PM
time to move on...

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 12:19 PM
Its pretty evident
That the b12 is dead.....but there are 14 years, tons of man hours and millions of dollars invested in it. I don't think our guys are believing a pipe dream....I just think they are making absolutely sure there is no pulse before throwing all that investment into the crematorium

Exactly!

This also came out Thursday night before Nebraska bolted which they said all along if Nebraska left then the Big 12 was done and we would look elsewhere. This did not happen after Nebraska -- they were trying to convince Nebraska to stay with the figures.

diegosooner
6/12/2010, 12:26 PM
In the best scenario, I'd like it if Texas a m decides to go SEC and Pacific allows Kansas into the conference to round out 16. Kansas has a great basketball program and respectable, albeit undistinguished football program. It is a fine university too.

BudSooner
6/12/2010, 12:27 PM
Pass me the bong when you are finished with it please, k? Thx!

SoonerMom2
6/12/2010, 12:41 PM
In the best scenario, I'd like it if Texas a m decides to go SEC and Pacific allows Kansas into the conference to round out 16. Kansas has a great basketball program and respectable, albeit undistinguished football program. It is a fine university too.

That makes two of us and also would give us the nine votes to do away with the Big 12 and save us and the rest of the schools millions of dollars. Texas A&M has 72 hours to decide and the window closes. A&M has not scheduled a meeting of their board regents while Texas and Tech's are meeting on Tuesday for a short meeting to discuss this. Looks like right now only four invites are going out this weekend.

According to reports around the net, Kansas and Utah are being considered but the South schools are pushing Kansas and their basketball program. Wouldn't be shocked as the look on Bill Self's face last night was a lot happier than several days before when he was interviewed.

Think A&M is gone to the SEC and Texas has told them after that meeting this week, the annual game is off according to the Statesman.

StoopTroup
6/12/2010, 12:48 PM
It's laughable to me that losing Nebraska and Colorado is a big deal. Nebraska wanted the Big XIi to quit catering to Texas and get the OU Nebraska rivalry back. Colorado hasn't been a contender in the last 20 years so replacng them with another School is a no-brainer. Losing Nebraska sucks and should be a wake up call for the Big XII. I hate to say this but the best thng the Big XII could do is fire thier Commissioner and hire Joe Castglione to run the Conference. The Big XII has lost touch with thier relationships with our Schools. For awhile they were on the right track by getting all the Big XII Schools to invest in their facilities so that none of them looked like High School Stadiums when they were on TV. Image is eveything. The Big XII's image has two black eyes right now but they haven't yet hung themselves AKA David Carradine just yet. I'd like to see OU and the other Schools left work on keeping things together for say a five year deal while having the ability to replace NU and CU with viable replacments should they approach the Big XII.

JohnnyMack
6/12/2010, 12:58 PM
The. Big. 12. Is. Finished.

Do you people need a venn diagram?

OUthunder
6/12/2010, 01:43 PM

I think that most of us are just eternal optimists.

ndpruitt03
6/12/2010, 02:30 PM
Till this week the Big 12 North had 6 NCs. Now the Big 12 North has 0 NCs that's what happened this week. The top 2 teams in the North traditionally left. Now the best team traditionally is Missouri or Kansas. Missouri has the guy that created the split T. Kansas has Gale Sayers. That's really it from the North. I'm sorry that's not enough to keep the league viable for long. Even if we stayed with the Big 10 it was going to break up within a year or two and we would be looking for a new conference. Maybe if Nebraska stayed we could put BYU or Utah in there to replace Colorado. But now there's no 5 time NC winner to replace Nebraska out there.

BoulderSooner79
6/12/2010, 02:56 PM

I don't need one, but it would be nice :)

The conference went big 6->7->8->12 and each time the change happened for a reason. The same is true of whatever super-conferences fall out of this latest round of musical chairs. The money in CFB is going up at a greater than linear rate and I suspect the next alignment will last for a shorter period of time than the big12 did. But we have no say in the matter other than to attend or watch the games or not. (Exception: if you donote large amounts of $$ to the school you may have a say, but that ain't me).