PDA

View Full Version : Have to ask

AirbOUrne
6/11/2010, 09:13 PM
When did we become uterus's bitch! The fact that we have to follow their lead makes me sick. I say we are better off in a conference without tx

NatureBoy
6/11/2010, 09:14 PM
It does seem like OU is letting Texas run the show. I hate to see that.

Widescreen
6/11/2010, 09:16 PM
You seem like you'd be better suited for OUInsider. There are a dozen threads that start just like this one.

AirbOUrne
6/11/2010, 09:23 PM
Been here since 00 at least, die hard that very much dislikes tx. Don't say much, ever, but this really burns me. WE Are OKLAHOMA for christ's sake.

Soonerus
6/11/2010, 09:29 PM
Boren and Joe C. are bright guys...they are doing what is in the best long term interests of OU...I feel confident of that...

sooner518
6/11/2010, 09:33 PM
so we should do what A&M does: disregard the best option (going to the PAC 10 with Texas) and go out on our own just so that we arent perceived as "following" Texas.

SoonerLB
6/11/2010, 09:34 PM
Silence may be the wise choice. Mizzery bitched and whined, and they are paying the ultimate price. Nebraska bitched and whined, and now they have ended up in a lessor conference. Patience could well be a virtue in all this craziness. Let the talking heads (you know, those super knowledgable idiots) put saxet on a pedestal, it will make it just that much more enjoyable to knock them off of it once we hit the football field!

King Barry's Back
6/11/2010, 09:53 PM
We can pump our own little egos or accept the facts.

UT owns the TV market in America's second largest state, they have the largest athletic budget in the NCAA, and they are one of the richest schools in America.

Those are simple facts.

We are not any of those.

We have entered an era in college ball where big name schools in hi-population centers are valued and desired, while big name farm state schools are seen as a mixed blessing, and little name farm state schools are seen as a handicap. (Farewell, Iowa State. And KSU.)

There is nothing OU can do about any of these facts, and must work to maximize its own value as best it can.

Therefore, our best strategy (the best strategy of all weaker parties all-time) is to ride on the biggest dog we can find to take us. That is TX. Be thankful we have such a big dog to ride on.

It might not be something to be proud of -- though I believe that it should be -- but it's not something to be ashamed of either.

Be thankful that the Regents sat down in 1946 and convinced themselves that, because Oklahoma was suffering an inferiority complex due to the Dust Bowl, they should make OU a football power.

W/O them, we would be another small name, farm state school crossing our fingers for Conference USA.

GottaHavePride
6/11/2010, 10:39 PM
^^ I mostly agree with this. I mean, it's not like we're worth nothing next to Texas, but you have to realize a few things... They have a lot bigger financial endowment than OU. They have a slightly better academic reputation. (Quit yer bitching, it's true.) They also have a student population nearly twice the size of OU, meaning they turn out nearly twice the alumni base that we do. More alumni = more donors = more TV sets = more attractive to conferences.

Sure, we'd be fine going our own way and saying screw Texas, but it makes WAY more business sense to ally ourselves with their influence and resources when it is mutually beneficial to do so. And in this case, we can make a hell of a lot more money WITH them than without them.

Soonerus
6/11/2010, 10:42 PM
^^ I mostly agree with this. I mean, it's not like we're worth nothing next to Texas, but you have to realize a few things... They have a lot bigger financial endowment than OU. They have a slightly better academic reputation. (Quit yer bitching, it's true.) They also have a student population nearly twice the size of OU, meaning they turn out nearly twice the alumni base that we do. More alumni = more donors = more TV sets = more attractive to conferences.

Sure, we'd be fine going our own way and saying screw Texas, but it makes WAY more business sense to ally ourselves with their influence and resources when it is mutually beneficial to do so. And in this case, we can make a hell of a lot more money WITH them than without them.

I have always agreed with this analysis...

picasso
6/11/2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe we should find out the real, entire story before we make silly assumptions.

SOONER_ED
6/12/2010, 12:03 PM
i spit on the red carpet that texASS walks on

Sooner5030
6/12/2010, 12:17 PM
Those are simple facts.

Those are not all the facts though.

The BIG12 is not 'dead'. It will be a lesser conference that can attract schools from the Salt Lake, Colorado, Memphis, Texas or even New Mexico markets.

You act like the PAC__ will go from ~53 million to ~300 million and the BIG 12 will go from ~79 million to ~30 million in TV contracts. That is not the case.

For a total school athletic budget of 80-90 million the 1-2 million difference in TV contracts split 12-16 ways better cover the increase in cost of travel and the decreased probability of playing in a BCS game.

We can afford to wait and shop around.

diegosooner
6/12/2010, 12:29 PM
We can pump our own little egos or accept the facts.

UT owns the TV market in America's second largest state, they have the largest athletic budget in the NCAA, and they are one of the richest schools in America.

Those are simple facts.

We are not any of those.

We have entered an era in college ball where big name schools in hi-population centers are valued and desired, while big name farm state schools are seen as a mixed blessing, and little name farm state schools are seen as a handicap. (Farewell, Iowa State. And KSU.)

There is nothing OU can do about any of these facts, and must work to maximize its own value as best it can.

Therefore, our best strategy (the best strategy of all weaker parties all-time) is to ride on the biggest dog we can find to take us. That is TX. Be thankful we have such a big dog to ride on.

It might not be something to be proud of -- though I believe that it should be -- but it's not something to be ashamed of either.

Be thankful that the Regents sat down in 1946 and convinced themselves that, because Oklahoma was suffering an inferiority complex due to the Dust Bowl, they should make OU a football power.

W/O them, we would be another small name, farm state school crossing our fingers for Conference USA.

I agree they are dogs.

boomerborn79
6/12/2010, 12:44 PM
There are more TV's on watching football on the east coast than on the west coast. If were talking about TV's like it's so importnant then the SEC makes more sense. Take into account that the average stadium in the SEC is over 80,000 and that they fill there stadiums and that the avg. pac ten stadium is around 60,000 and they don't fill there stadium all equals more money to be split in the SEC then the Pac ##. Who watches Pac ten football???? who watches SEC, everyone including the NFL scouts. we are going to become the far west nobodies. The east coast will have to wait till sunday to see some of our scores. That's gay.... The real reason were going to the Pac 10 is because ut is scared to play anybody and they know if they get past us they have a chance to play in the ccg. They are controlling us thats gay. To be the best you have to play the best. The best is not in the west and granted we might win alot I would much rather be playing the football tradition rich schools like ALA, LSU, GEORGIA, AUB, TENN, ETC....those teams would be instant rivalries... this sucks But please please ut make a move on the sec and take A&m, OU, OSu with you please.. since we seem to be in your car and your driving.

OUthunder
6/12/2010, 01:46 PM

Unfortunately, all of this is true. However, its sometimes hard to except the truth. In a way, we are UT's biatch. Looking on the bright side, Okie State is still ours. :D

crawfish
6/12/2010, 02:14 PM
I think we need to admit that, given the population and economy of our state, our football record is remarkable. There are three population centers in Texas with each more people than all of OK (and three in CA). To thrive, we NEED to be able to attract players from out of state. The tie with UT and our presence in their TV markets makes us an attractive target to Texas HS players, and the PAC-16 should make us more attractive to California HS players as well. We need the connections to continue to be a strong program.

And rest assured, once we step on the football field we take a backseat to nobody.

SactoSooner
6/12/2010, 02:27 PM
Who watches PAC-10 football????

Me. :O And that's only because the networks don't broadcast Big 12 games out here on the West Coast after the OU-UT game has been played.