PDA

View Full Version : Do we go back after Prater and Henderson?

Tigeman
6/11/2010, 07:12 PM
Now that the USC is done, do we go back after Kyle Prater and Sentrel Henderson? Henderson was a long shot, but we were sooooo close w/ Kyle Prater. Are we allowed to make contact with them... or is that just the Juniors and Seniors? Prater has already started making a name for himself at the SUC spring game. So do we make the call or wait for one?

ratherthanlater
6/11/2010, 07:37 PM
I was under the impression that they had signed their LOI's and would have to get a release from SUC. The JR's and SR's can transfer and not worry about the one year wait. As for if we should go after 'em, I'd rather have the guys that wanted to be here then SUC's sloppy seconds. I'd hate for a player who was passionate about playing for OU feel he is being slighted. I realize superior talent is the name of the game but look where that got OUr basketball squad.

BoulderSooner79
6/11/2010, 07:50 PM
The special considerations are only for players entering their junior or senior years (during the bowl ban). The new recruits have to live with their decisions or sit out a year if they want to transfer. I get the feeling USC gets more kids with the NFL as the #1 goal in their minds and not bowl games or championships. I think most these kids will choose to stay except maybe a few of jr/sr players that know they are not going to start and may think they can start else where. Had USC been banned from TV, then more kids would be looking to go somewhere to get their airtime.

Salt City Sooner
6/11/2010, 10:16 PM
I was under the impression that they had signed their LOI's and would have to get a release from SUC. The JR's and SR's can transfer and not worry about the one year wait. As for if we should go after 'em, I'd rather have the guys that wanted to be here then SUC's sloppy seconds. I'd hate for a player who was passionate about playing for OU feel he is being slighted. I realize superior talent is the name of the game but look where that got OUr basketball squad.
Josh Heupel, Lance Mitchell, Nate Hybl, & Lynn McGruder were all another 4 year university's sloppy seconds who ended up at OU, & I had an awfully fun time watching all of them. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances pop up & a kid ends up taking the scenic route to where he's supposed to be. Heck, Torrance Marshall would've never stepped foot in Norman if he'd qualified academically at the school (Miami) he originally verbaled to. Instead,he took a little detour to Kemper Military, & the rest is history.

gaylordfan1
6/11/2010, 11:52 PM
Josh Heupel, Lance Mitchell, Nate Hybl, & Lynn McGruder were all another 4 year university's sloppy seconds who ended up at OU, & I had an awfully fun time watching all of them. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances pop up & a kid ends up taking the scenic route to where he's supposed to be. Heck, Torrance Marshall would've never stepped foot in Norman if he'd qualified academically at the school (Miami) he originally verbaled to. Instead,he took a little detour to Kemper Military, & the rest is history.

I like your style......

pappy
6/12/2010, 12:45 AM
If some of their jr/sr O-lineman and maybe a jr/sr dt wanna head this way I say bring them on.

Actually if they're a talented player that can help us win another national title then I say bring them on

westbrooke
6/12/2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know if this was settled in a different thread (gotta sleep sometime!), but I thought I saw that the NCAA was allowing jr/sr to transfer without penalty, but the Pac10 was not, meaning they would have to transfer out of conference if they wanted to avoid sitting a year. Was that BS? If it's true, and we end up in the Pac16, would the restriction still apply?

Tigeman
6/12/2010, 03:16 PM
No, b/c we probably won't transfer until 2012. Until then, we're Big 12, no matter how you slice it. The Juniors would be gone by the time we moved to the Pacwhatever

Tigeman
6/20/2010, 05:03 PM
We should really be working on Henderson, as it seems the kid is cryptically saying he's transferring to Miami!

goingoneight
6/20/2010, 10:53 PM
If the coaching staff really wants them, and is allowed to go after them, I'm sure they're hard at it. We signed people to cover those we "lost" in February, so that's a diffcult deal... who do you dump off the roster who's on campus and on track to graduate and/or contribute?

Salt City Sooner
6/20/2010, 10:55 PM
We should really be working on Henderson, as it seems the kid is cryptically saying he's transferring to Miami!

We weren't even in his top 5. It'd be about as fruitful of an endeavor as going after a Millwood kid.

Tigeman
6/21/2010, 12:14 AM
We weren't even in his top 5. It'd be about as fruitful of an endeavor as going after a Millwood kid.

I was pretty sure I remembered us being in his final 4?

SUC
Miami
Ohio State
and us

The also ran's
Minnesota (not really ever a serious threat)
Notre Dame

But maybe not.... doesn't mean people don't change their minds in a situation like this! Hell look at Cam Newton... kid had eliminated Auburn early on his HS recruitment and he's there now!

Salt City Sooner
6/21/2010, 12:32 AM
He took his 5 officials to USC, Notre Dame, tOSU, Florida, & Miami. Never stepped foot in Norman. It came down to Miami, OU, Iowa, & Minnesota for his last visit (the 'canes got it).

OK2U
6/29/2010, 12:30 AM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/24/seantrel-on-his-status-at-usc-i-dont-want-to-talk-about-that/

Seantrel on his status at USC: 'I don't want to talk about that'
Posted by John Taylor on June 24, 2010 10:21 AM ET
After holding it together in the immediate aftermath of NCAA-levied sanctions, it appears that the biggest fish in Lane Kiffin's 2010 recruiting class is slipping from his grasp.

We noted yesterday how Kiffin and three other members of the USC football program took a private jet to visit Seantrel Henderson last week after the mammoth offensive tackle did not attend freshman orientation as expected. His father has since refused to comment on his son's status, and now so is the son.

Playing in a pro-am basketball league Tuesday night, Henderson was asked about his status with USC.

"I don't want to talk about that," Henderson said according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Henderson is apparently put off by the fact that, during the recruiting process, Kiffin told him that there would be no serious penalties placed on the Trojans.

If Henderson does try to transfer from USC, he would be forced to sit out a transfer year before becoming eligible to play football. Miami and Ohio State would likely be potential destinations if Henderson decides to play elsewhere.

Salt City Sooner
7/1/2010, 03:41 PM
Latest word is that Cretin-Derham Hall grad Seantrel Henderson, who was assured by new Southern California football coach Lane Kiffin during recruitment that USC would not receive serious NCAA penalties, is balking at his commitment and now leaning toward Miami, even though he would have to sit out a transfer season.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15414514?nclick_check=1

IronHorseSooner
7/2/2010, 10:48 AM
Latest word is that Cretin-Derham Hall grad Seantrel Henderson, who was assured by new Southern California football coach Lane Kiffin during recruitment that USC would not receive serious NCAA penalties, is balking at his commitment and now leaning toward Miami, even though he would have to sit out a transfer season.

Looks like to me wants to go from cheater to criminal. That might tell you something.

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2010, 11:31 AM
Henderson (and his advisers) are idiots. The possible sanctions were a big issue with him and he delayed signing due to the situation. Basing his decision on what the head coach said is just plain dumb. Any head coach is going to spin the situation because of the deep seated motivation to land the player. Even if they think they are being totally open and honest, humans can't help but perceive things the way that suits them. Throw in Kiffin's history of playing fast and loose with the rules and he should be the last person to believe about the outcome from the NCAA.

Curly Bill
7/3/2010, 12:22 PM
Henderson (and his advisers) are idiots. The possible sanctions were a big issue with him and he delayed signing due to the situation. Basing his decision on what the head coach said is just plain dumb. Any head coach is going to spin the situation because of the deep seated motivation to land the player. Even if they think they are being totally open and honest, humans can't help but perceive things the way that suits them. Throw in Kiffin's history of playing fast and loose with the rules and he should be the last person to believe about the outcome from the NCAA.

This. He should have to sit out not one, but two seasons, for being stupid. Of course if that were against the rules for college football players there'd be a whole lot of sitting out going on.