PDA

View Full Version : Musings: What if the Pac-10 only wants to go to 14?

soonerboy_odanorth
6/11/2010, 05:17 PM
CU, OU, UT and who?

That might not be as neat as everyone thinks, but I think aTm would be foolish not to muscle oSu out of the way.

Also, if both the Pac-10 and Big 10 only want to go to 14, I think the SEC, if they were to expand, would only pick up a couple more teams as well. From there it seems to me that the natural evolution would be for the Big East and ACC to combine in some way to form 14, and probably the MWC as well (though I seriously doubt they would come east, but more likely raid the remainder of the WAC). That would then put a lot of pressure on the Central state schools (TT, Baylor, Mizzou, KU, KSU, OSU, Houston, SMU, etc.) to form a 14 team conference. Maybe the numbers out east dictate a 7th 14 team conference.

That's 6-7 14-team (84-98 schools) power conferences. From those take the 6 or 7 champs, plus two or one of the next highest ranked (think an extra SEC-14 or Big 10) at large team and that makes a pretty neat-n-tidy 8 team playoff that probably wouldn't yield a lot of yelpin' and hollerin' by the have-nots.

And you could still keep the bowl system alive because an 8 team playoff could potentially be managed through the current BCS bowl sites (plus the Cotton Bowl and maybe Citrus or Peach) and rotate the Championship game. The other bowls could still go on as well. They would de facto become the "NIT" of football, which really, they already are.

Maybe it doesn't look quite like this, but I think all this movement and the "land-grab"* for television $$$ has placed us solidly on the path to a playoff.

*(Thank goodness we're land thieves... we've got this nailed! ;) )