PDA

View Full Version : Official: UT, Tech, OU, OSU to the Pac-10, but Aggies “sitting on the fence”

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 04:59 PM
Official: UT, Tech, OU, OSU to the Pac-10, but Aggies “sitting on the fence”
By Kirk Bohls | Friday, June 11, 2010, 03:12 PM

A highly-placed official from a Big 12 school confirmed Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pac-10 Conference once formal offers are made to them, but said that Texas A&M officials remain on the fence between joining the Pac-10 or the SEC.

“The decision has been made,” the official told the American-Statesman. “We’re bringing everybody to the Pac-10 but A&M.”

The official said the Aggies have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10’s offer. The official also said those formal offers could be made over the weekend.

The Texas board of regents have called an 11 a.m. meeting next Tuesday, and a formal announcement is expected later that day. Regents at Texas Tech also will meet on Tuesday, at 2 p.m.

The official, who has knowledge of Thursday’s meeting in Austin between Texas and Texas A&M officials, said the Aggies are torn about which direction to take. When asked to confirm rumors that A&M president R. Bowen Loftin wants to explore joining the SEC but that Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne wants to go the Pac-10, the official said, “I think you’re 100 percent right.”

Also, the official said, even A&M regents are split. That includes former A&M and Alabama coach Gene Stallings, who is pushing hard for A&M to go to the SEC.

“A&M is sitting on the fence,” the official said.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/06/11/official_ut_tec.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

At the link PAC 10 is discussing Kansas or Utah to replace A&M which would give us nine teams and no payout to the Big 12 because we would have the nine votes! Invites will be out over the weekend and it will be announced on Tuesday according to the Statesman newspaper and the Oklahoman and ESPN. Sounds like a total done deal. A&M is being given 72 hours to make up their mind for the PAC-10 and then the door shuts.

TXBOOMER
6/11/2010, 06:02 PM
A&M to the SEC will be a joke.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 06:07 PM
Thought the same thing! Stallings is pushing their going to the SEC! Most Texas people think they will end up going with the Big 12 south!

soonerboy_odanorth
6/11/2010, 06:08 PM
You know... I think I would prefer the aTm to SEC and KU to Pac-10 scenario. Here's why:

For one it would preserve our basketball rivalry with Kansas.

And, you know Texas will still insist on having their conference schedule remain open over Thanksgiving so that they can play aTm.

That might allow us to request the same and get into an agreement to play Nebraska every year out of conference and re-ignite the rivalry. (No LoSuRs, our game with you doesn't really belong over Thanksgiving. Thanks for playing.)

ouwasp
6/11/2010, 06:08 PM
Can you imagine the fun Stanford's band would have w/ A&M!! :)

HBick
6/11/2010, 08:40 PM
Can you imagine the fun Stanford's band would have w/ A&M!! :)

the male cheerleaders from aTm will probably have a melt down and kill one of the band members from stanford

A Sooner in Texas
6/11/2010, 09:22 PM
A&M to anywhere will be a joke.

Fixed it for ya.

bluedogok
6/11/2010, 09:34 PM
You know... I think I would prefer the aTm to SEC and KU to Pac-10 scenario. Here's why:

For one it would preserve our basketball rivalry with Kansas.

And, you know Texas will still insist on having their conference schedule remain open over Thanksgiving so that they can play aTm.

That might allow us to request the same and get into an agreement to play Nebraska every year out of conference and re-ignite the rivalry. (No LoSuRs, our game with you doesn't really belong over Thanksgiving. Thanks for playing.)
The rumor is DeLost told A&M in the meeting yesterday that if they go to the SEC that UT will never play A&M in any sport again.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 10:07 PM
Don't let the door hit ya. I think we would be more than happy to bring Kansas insted of A&M.

From a football standpoint A&M is even par or worse than Kansas. From a basketball scale it's not even close. The only 2 Big 12 schools I felt sorry for were Kansas and Iowa State.

A&M will get torched in the SEC. They will regret going there and will be fighting for 6 or 7th place compared to 4 or 5th in the new Pac-16.