PDA

View Full Version : Orangebloods Reporting OU, OSU, Tech, UT headed to Pac 10

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 02:17 PM
http://texas.rivals.com/

With Nebraska expected to formally announce later today it will join the Big 10, the wheels of the Pac-10 merger are officially in motion. In fact, sources have indicated to Orangebloods.com that four Big 12 South teams are locked and loaded to join the Pac-10 and an announcement date has been set. One Big 12 South school is still on the fence. Get all the breaking news details on this exclusive story inside.

The announcement date they're referring to is apparently Thursday, which is reported in this story:
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/11/1513682/pac-10-expansion-texas-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-texas-tech

...four Big 12 south schools will move to the Pac-10 — Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech. The decision for those schools to leave the conference was made following Nebraska officially accepting the invite to join the Big Ten on Friday. Brown adds that Texas will make its announcement next Thursday.

:pop:

OklahomaTuba
6/11/2010, 02:19 PM
eATMe going SEC then?

sooner518
6/11/2010, 02:19 PM
why the hell do they have to drag this out for ANOTHER week? its 2010 ladies, just put out a press release and get er done

soonersweetie
6/11/2010, 02:21 PM
why the hell do they have to drag this out for ANOTHER week? its 2010 ladies, just put out a press release and get er done

AMEN to that!! This is brutal!!

swardboy
6/11/2010, 02:23 PM
Double Amen....OU is playing it a little too cutsie with the silence for me right now. Makes us look like uterus' lil' brother.

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 02:24 PM
Two Things:

1. If A&M doesn't jump to the Pac 10, who does the Pac 10 get to round things out to 16 teams? Utah?

2. I think this is a done deal now, they are just going to get all their ducks in a row and we'll hear about it next week.

olevetonahill
6/11/2010, 02:24 PM

To Give every one a chance to start a ****ing thread about this **** :rolleyes:

Mad Dog Madsen
6/11/2010, 02:25 PM
Who gives a sh*t what orangebloods reports...

OklahomaTuba
6/11/2010, 02:28 PM
Kansas. Has to be.

OUMallen
6/11/2010, 02:32 PM
Who gives a sh*t what orangebloods reports...

Because Teasip Chip Brown has been the best reporter in the country on this whole ordeal.

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 02:42 PM
Kansas. Has to be.

...leaving KSU very alone in the middle of nowhere. KU definitely wants to find its way to a major conference, and their basketball program will probably make it happen.

Stitch Face
6/11/2010, 02:42 PM
I really believe if the Big XII is gone then the PAC-whatever is the best option for OU, but it would be the awesomest thing ever if we could get away from OSU.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/11/2010, 02:46 PM
Wow Texas would have to leave their own state.

Dio
6/11/2010, 02:46 PM
...leaving KSU very alone in the middle of nowhere. KU definitely wants to find its way to a major conference, and their basketball program will probably make it happen.

You ever been to the little apple? They're already very alone and in the middle of nowhere.

And if you sit on the top row of their stadium you can see the North Pole.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/11/2010, 02:50 PM
I guess aTm has decided they'll fare better in the SEC West than in the Big 12 South. I guess as long as Lester is at LSU, they have a decent chance of at least finishing second in that division every year.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 03:11 PM
This seems like the most reasonable solution for all parties.

OU doesn't want to have to face the SEC and Texas every year. Texas wants to remain a top dog and this will allow them to do it. Plus, to be able to recruit in California and added exposure sweetens the pot.

Plus, if OU & Texas were to split it would really hurt both schools. The only issue I see is who does the PAC 16 take if A&M splits? I hope they take Kansas or Utah. I just hope Baylor doesn't sneak in on us.

bmjlr
6/11/2010, 03:13 PM
I would imagine they would invite Utah...but then again, I was wrong once before.

sooner59
6/11/2010, 03:18 PM
ESPN breaking news just reported OU, Texas, OSU, and Tech are poised to join Pac 10 as early as Tuesday. A&M is more interested in the SEC. And new conference play will begin in 2011. Hmm.....

EDIT: Nebraska expects to begin conference play in 2011. Texas ain't gonna like that....a trip to Lincoln and no NU trip to Austin. Heh.

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 03:30 PM
ESPN breaking news just reported OU, Texas, OSU, and Tech are poised to join Pac 10 as early as Tuesday. A&M is more interested in the SEC. And new conference play will begin in 2011. Hmm....

That same article says some are looking at keeping the Big 12 as a 10 team conference and sacrificing the CCG. Seriously? That would be terrible. I don't want to regress as a conference.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 03:32 PM
ESPN breaking news just reported OU, Texas, OSU, and Tech are poised to join Pac 10 as early as Tuesday. A&M is more interested in the SEC. And new conference play will begin in 2011. Hmm.....

EDIT: Nebraska expects to begin conference play in 2011. Texas ain't gonna like that....a trip to Lincoln and no NU trip to Austin. Heh.

Good find.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276668
Source: UT, 3 others poised for Pac-10Email Print Comments183 ESPN.com news services

AUSTIN, Texas -- University of Texas regents will meet next week to decide whether the Longhorns will remain in the Big 12 or switch to another conference, setting the table for an unprecedented realignment of power conferences in college sports.

A source within the Big 12 told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are poised to announce they intend to join the Pac-10 as early as Tuesday, with Texas A&M still not firmly on board.

There are members of the Texas A&M board of regents that are more interested in pursuing the SEC than the Pac-10, the source said.

But Texas holds the most significant sway amid a tectonic shift that has seen Colorado move to the Pac-10 and Nebraska reportedly bolting to the Big Ten in successive days.

"Our goals and hopes all along have been to keep the Big 12 Conference intact," Texas men's athletics director DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "The league has been great for its members. We also have been honorable, up front and forthright with regard to our work and responsiveness to all the possible and now definitive changes to conference landscapes."

Texas Tech has also scheduled a special board of regents meeting for Tuesday, at which the formalization of an acceptance to the Pac-10 could occur, the Big 12 source told ESPN.

The athletic director of Texas' longtime interstate rival, Oklahoma, said if the Longhorns were to announce they were committed to staying in the Big 12, the other 10 teams left would likely remain, too.

"Behind the scenes, we're talking about all the different kinds of strategies and plans that would prove that point," Joe Castiglione told The Oklahoman on Thursday.

The Texas regents announced Friday that they will hold a meeting by telephone Tuesday for "discussion and appropriate action regarding athletic conference membership."

Oklahoma, Baylor and Kansas have been gathering information about the fiscal viability of keeping the conference alive with 10 teams, a Big 12 source told ESPN's Schad. In that scenario the conference would sacrifice a conference title game. They are exploring the television ramifications as well.

"We have a very, very strong sense from our television partners that the revenue stream would be very, very good going forward," Castiglione told The Oklahoman. "Better than where we are today."

Another source familiar with the Pac-10's plans told ESPN that the SEC's interests in Texas A&M and Oklahoma are "real." Another source within the Big 12 said Texas A&M does not necessarily feel it should be required to be attached to the Longhorns.

"We are entrusted with the responsibility of administering our university athletics programs," Dodds said in the statement. "That requires careful examination of any and all options. It is both premature and inappropriate to speculate on what our UT System Regents will discuss at next Tuesday's meeting. But, as the dynamics of the Big 12 continue to change around us, we will utilize additional time to continue our work and evaluate our options.

Castiglione said he continued to work toward a solution to save the Big 12, which he said can still thrive -- in competition and on the balance sheet.

"I understand people are writing this like the ship has sailed and there really isn't any way the Big 12 could stay together," Castiglione told the Oklahoma City newspaper Thursday. "I just don't think this is true. I think there's still a way for us to stick together and be viable. Whether we do or not, I don't know."

In addition to Colorado's move, the Pac-10 is also reportedly interested in inviting Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to form a 16-team league.

Missouri was reported to be on the trading block, too, even reportedly prompting the Big 12 to issue an ultimatum that also included Nebraska, requiring the schools to commit to the Big 12 by Friday, with an extension possible through Tuesday.

But the president of the University of Missouri system, Gary Forsee, told reporters Thursday he doesn't feel compelled to "justify our loyalty"

"I don't think we need to justify our history in that regard," Forsee said.

Forsee, speaking for the first time on the conference shuffling, said he decided to speak on the subject after Colorado announced its move to the Pac-10.

"Our curators are very interested in those developments, very interested in these facts as they appear. As you might imagine we won't participate in feeding continued speculation of what else might happen around conference realignment or in the Big 12 for that matter.

"But rest assured that our Board of Curators, all our administrators, are on top of these issues."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

HBick
6/11/2010, 03:33 PM
good, send aTm to the sec, add utah in the pac mix and you get Salt Lake City's television footprint instead of repeating over the texas ones for aggie games.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 03:42 PM
Or Kansas and we get Kansas City! Then we don't have to pay over $12M to get out of the Big 12 as we will have nine votes! :)

Dio
6/11/2010, 03:44 PM
Or Kansas and we get Kansas City! Then we don't have to pay over $12M to get out of the Big 12 as we will have nine votes! :)

Not a bad plan, as long as they find a way to ditch purple kitty

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 03:46 PM

This would be nice. Saving money is definitely a plus.

humblesooner
6/11/2010, 03:46 PM
Seems like Mizzou was Nebraska's date when all this carp started last week. How long has it been since Mizzou's name has been mentioned in any of this posturing? Maybe Mizzou would be the 16th team in the Pac 16.
Mizzou or KU or BYU or Utah.
KU = Kansas City market and a great BB team.
MU = KC and St Louie, but average teams.
BYU and Utah = SLC market - Do the Mormons watch sports on TV?

With MU bringing two large cities, they almost look like the money leader on #16.

BajaOklahoma
6/11/2010, 03:51 PM
Curators? Really?

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 03:53 PM
From ESPN: A source within the Big 12 told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are poised to announce they intend to join the Pac-10 as early as Tuesday, with Texas A&M still not firmly on board.

There are members of the Texas A&M board of regents who are more interested in pursuing the SEC than the Pac-10, the source said.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 03:54 PM
Not a bad plan, as long as they find a way to ditch purple kitty

K-State is toast in all of these scenarios along with Iowa State.

KantoSooner
6/11/2010, 04:00 PM
I'm wondering whether you could build an All Aggie Conference:

Ok State
TAMU
Oregon State
Utah State
Colorado State
NM State
SD State
Ohio State
Kansas State
Appalachian State
Washington State
Florida State
Louisiana State
Arizona State
Iowa State
and
Missouri

Travel would be brutal, but the farm fresh produce would be killer.

Dio
6/11/2010, 04:01 PM
K-State is toast in all of these scenarios along with Iowa State.

make sure the Kansas legislature is aware of that ;)

Dio
6/11/2010, 04:02 PM
Seems like Mizzou was Nebraska's date when all this carp started last week. How long has it been since Mizzou's name has been mentioned in any of this posturing? Maybe Mizzou would be the 16th team in the Pac 16.
Mizzou or KU or BYU or Utah.
KU = Kansas City market and a great BB team.
MU = KC and St Louie, but average teams.
BYU and Utah = SLC market - Do the Mormons watch sports on TV?

With MU bringing two large cities, they almost look like the money leader on #16.

Mizzou = nothing but trouble. Pass

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 04:04 PM
make sure the Kansas legislature is aware of that ;)

That could get interesting! Maybe it is time for politicians to what Governor Perry is doing -- staying out of the whole deal and not commenting!

soonersweetie
6/11/2010, 04:12 PM
ok I'm confused....so are we going to the pac 16 or are we staying in the Big 12 (which really only will have 10 teams), ugh, I need a drink!

yukonsooner
6/11/2010, 04:15 PM
...or will the Big 10 become the Big 12 and the Big 12 become the Big 10???????

TUSooner
6/11/2010, 04:19 PM
I don't put my faith in the press or in football coaches or athletic directors, not even the best of the lot. I believe only what I see and when I see it. There's nothing new or definitive here.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 04:26 PM
Or... will we go to the SEC?

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 04:27 PM
ok I'm confused....so are we going to the pac 16 or are we staying in the Big 12 (which really only will have 10 teams), ugh, I need a drink!

ESPN NCAAF - Joe Schad: Texas, Oklahoma among 5 Big 12 schools poised to join Pac-10 as early as Tuesday

sluggo sooner
6/11/2010, 05:01 PM
That same article says some are looking at keeping the Big 12 as a 10 team conference and sacrificing the CCG. Seriously? That would be terrible. I don't want to regress as a conference.

This (keeping Big 12 alive) is still being discussed in earnest.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 05:06 PM
Big 12 is over according to all reports now -- A&M has 72 hours to decide what they are doing and Tuesday we will be in the PAC-10 after the TX Board of Regents meet.

Big 10 just approved Nebraska!