PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting sick of hearing about how we must stay with Texas?

OU Adonis
6/11/2010, 12:33 PM
I am pretty tired of it. Why must we follow Texas? It makes us sound like a little brother. We will do fine without them. We can still schedule them OOC like we did for the years prior to the B12.

Following their lead is part of the reason the B12 is going away. They are 2 for 2 on defunct conferences.

OULenexaman
6/11/2010, 12:35 PM
very.......tired......of it.

delhalew
6/11/2010, 12:36 PM
YES!! Its stupid on several levels...not to mention insulting.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:40 PM
Very tired of seeing it and so is A&M. Reports out of College Station saying their reach no agreement yesterday on which conference to be in and Gov Perry has stated he will not get involved like Ma Richards did to put Baylor in the Big 12.

Just posted an excerpt that OSU sent a message to Texas they want to go with Texas where they go so looks like us having to take the weak sister of the north to a conference is over thanks to Boone! Take the fact A&M wants to get away from Texas and a rumor has OU and A&M going to the SEC.

Throw a dart and you could be right! Maybe we should have a football pool on where OU is going to end up! :)

sooner518
6/11/2010, 12:46 PM
a little bit, but the reality is, Texas makes more money than we do, and it would be mutually beneificial for us to go with them.

that said, if Texas goes to the Big 10, I think we find a way to get into the Pac 11 or SEC without too much of a problem.

OUDizzle
6/11/2010, 12:48 PM
Bitter rivals make better business partners.

colinreturn
6/11/2010, 12:54 PM
you guys might hate texas, but i would be deeply disappointed if we split. there is too much passion there to just go different ways.

through all of this realignment, all i want is ou/ut to stay together.

OULenexaman
6/11/2010, 01:01 PM
The nebbish are now gone.....it's official now...Texas regents meeting on tuesday to decide.....so it's wait till Tuesday now.....tick tock...tick tock...

ouwasp
6/11/2010, 01:02 PM
well, the horns need to grow a pair and cut Baylor loose... that's holding everybody else back...

Jdog
6/11/2010, 01:03 PM
you guys might hate texas, but i would be deeply disappointed if we split. there is too much passion there to just go different ways.

through all of this realignment, all i want is ou/ut to stay together.

Hay like Man, Can't we just all get along.

but Seriously - I agree it would suck to have the RRS go away

Jdog
6/11/2010, 01:06 PM
If Texas goes to the PAC alone - it will mean that they will be in every Nat'l Championship game from here on out - they would have more competition if they were going to the MWC than in the PAC

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 01:07 PM
RRS was going on long before the Big 12 -- still believe it will be a tradition but we would be separate conferences.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 01:09 PM
ESPN NCAAF - Texas regents to meet Tuesday on whether to stay in Big 12 or switch to another conference

Bourbon St Sooner
6/11/2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think we have to stay with TX, but I think it's mutually benificial for both schools. We're natural rivals and the competition between the schools has driven both to improve in all sports.

oudavid1
6/11/2010, 01:16 PM
Lets face it, they have more money, But we have something money cant buy (USSSCCCCC) Championships!!!! They are our little brother. And even though i hate them as much as the next guy, i want to stay with them. Makes the RRS way more fun.

OhU1
6/11/2010, 01:18 PM
Split OU from OSU, Texas from Texas A&M, OU from Texas where these teams don't play each other anymore. Sounds fantastic.

I'll be so pumped for the annual OU - Mississippi State Game. I'll be on the edge of my seat to watch the heated Texas - Arizona rivalry. With any luck we will only play teams 2 states away from our border from now on. I can't wait.

Jdog
6/11/2010, 01:32 PM
Split OU from OSU, Texas from Texas A&M, OU from Texas where these teams don't play each other anymore. Sounds fantastic.

I'll be so pumped for the annual OU - Mississippi State Game. I'll be on the edge of my seat to watch the heated Texas - Arizona rivalry. With any luck we will only play teams 2 states away from our border from now on. I can't wait.

exactly

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 01:35 PM
OU and Texas is better for OU and Texas. If Texas goes to the SEC by themselves they wouldn't really fit either.

diegosooner
6/11/2010, 01:38 PM
I am pretty tired of it. Why must we follow Texas? It makes us sound like a little brother. We will do fine without them. We can still schedule them OOC like we did for the years prior to the B12.

Following their lead is part of the reason the B12 is going away. They are 2 for 2 on defunct conferences.

+10

In fact I like having them in a different conference. Before the Big 12, we never had to think about whether or not to root for them because they are in our own conference.

I like hating them.

OUDizzle
6/11/2010, 01:44 PM
Was watching the NE Regents meeting (http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&id=0&catid=0&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=100) till the **** broke.

Press conference at 4:45 this afternoon for official announcement of "something".

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2627/charliebrownitsasecretb.jpg

delhalew
6/11/2010, 01:45 PM
What in the hell makes you people think we have to be in the same conference to play the RRR?
Seriously dammit tell me. I'm tired of hearing it. You know how many decades we played that game outside of conference? Were you guys born yesterday? ARRGGH.

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 01:45 PM
No we can't schedule Texas OOC. You really think Texas will go to the SEC(let's say) and play Florida, LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Oklahoma? Or put OU in there. You really think Bob Stoops would be a fan of having to beat the SEC and Texas? If Texas is part of the SEC that's a little different. It's the same way with the PAC 10 also because that would be tougher. I think going separate conferences in this era ends the annual red river game. It's a different era. We are headed toward mega conferences.

delhalew
6/11/2010, 01:49 PM
No we can't schedule Texas OOC. You really think Texas will go to the SEC(let's say) and play Florida, LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Oklahoma? Or put OU in there instead. OU and Texas need to be together it's a mutual thing.

That doesn't make any f'n sense. As much as that game means to our schools it means even more to the city of Dallas. Come on.

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 01:52 PM
That doesn't make any f'n sense. As much as that game means to our schools it means even more to the city of Dallas. Come on.
No it means a bunch to both schools. Dallas doesn't really matter. I mean we all know it won't even be in Dallas before long. Arlington is eventually going to get the game. But if it's an OOC game it basically won't matter because winning the conference is all that matters.

OU Adonis
6/11/2010, 02:16 PM
Hmm. We have played Texas OOC like 80+ times and in conference like 14 times yet scheduling them OOC now is impossible

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 02:20 PM
Because the SWC and Big 8 were a lot easier than the PAC 16 and SEC. Texas basically had A&M and sometimes Baylor that's it. OU had Nebraska and that's really it for the most part.

OhU1
6/11/2010, 02:21 PM
Playing Texas OOC was not that big of a deal when we only had Nebraska to deal with and Texas was in the weak SWC. Throw in a gauntlet of very tough SEC teams for OU and a tougher Pac-10 or Big-10 schedule for UT and I doubt either team is as attached to keeping this game.

When we went from the Big 8 to the Big 12 the annual OU -Nebraska game which was big for both schools went away. Attempts to save the game were abandoned in part because it would put the schools at a disadvantage in the conference to have to play each other every year. Granted this is not the exact same sitution since OU/Neb would be a conference game. But few teams in the BCS era have been willing to add a top 5 program to their annual OOC schedule.

If we had a playoff system teams could afford to play more games like this. As it is now if you slip once you may be out the running for BCS title.

delhalew
6/11/2010, 02:21 PM
Stupid assed arguement. It moving to Jerryworld either.

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 02:27 PM
OU Nebraska is a perfect example. It was a bigger rivalry than Texas ever was and we were still in the same conference and couldn't keep that rivalry going. What makes you think OU/Texas continues if we are in different conferences? It won't happen if you wish it. It doesn't matter anyway because OU to the PAC 16 is a done deal.

OULenexaman
6/11/2010, 02:34 PM
good lord.....man is there some stupid **** in this thread....

Mad Dog Madsen
6/11/2010, 02:35 PM
The only thing I'm sick of hearing is about orangebloods...

Mad Dog Madsen
6/11/2010, 02:36 PM
...Oh, and I'm sick of seeing 238 threads basically saying the same thing about this damn conference realignment.

OhU1
6/11/2010, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't say OU - Texas OOC would not happen. But fans who don't recognize the potential jeopardy to this special game if OU/UT split conferences are in denial. I do not think OU would be the school to pull out of the series at some future date either - the Horns would puss out eventually.

delhalew
6/11/2010, 03:09 PM
I never underestimate what pussies the whorns are, BUT the neutral site nature makes it stronger. If it were a home and away it would be different. OU/Nebbish is not a good example...the reasons should be obvious.

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 03:10 PM
Why because that rivalry was bigger and we were in the same conference and still didn't schedule it every year? The new PAC 10/SEC are stronger than the Big 12 was and we still didn't play Nebbish every year and will probably only pla them again in a playoff.

delhalew
6/11/2010, 03:23 PM
[Facepalm]Being in different divisions made it more difficult than had we been in different conferences. We still could have and should have kept it. The SEC has the model for doing this.
Also, plenty of teams in bigtime conferences keep OOC rivalries alive. It's not that hard. Superconfrences will make everything in college football different. In my opinion suckier. To say we wouldn't play Texas is dumb.[Facepalm]

TMcGee86
6/11/2010, 03:34 PM
Florida still manages to play FSU.

SEC schedule and all.

just sayin.

Tear Down This Wall
6/11/2010, 04:19 PM
So, basically, those who say we shouldn't play Texas OOC if we were to join the SEC are saying that we're cowards.

Pathetic. We should play the best competition we can no matter which conference we land in. If we say we can't play Texas and the SEC, why do we even pretend to be a national power?

National powers don't cower. We're not Kansas State. Joe Castiglione needs to assert OU's strength independent of what Texas or anyone else does.

Texas is the biggest coward of all. They're always threatening to move, but they won't go it alone. They talk a big talk. But, when it comes to walking the walk, they've got to run around and make sure Texas A&M and Oklahoma are with them.

We should just tell them to go hang.

soonervegas
6/11/2010, 04:22 PM
Florida still manages to play FSU.

SEC schedule and all.

just sayin.

discussion over.

ndpruitt03
6/11/2010, 04:30 PM
So, basically, those who say we shouldn't play Texas OOC if we were to join the SEC are saying that we're cowards.

Pathetic. We should play the best competition we can no matter which conference we land in. If we say we can't play Texas and the SEC, why do we even pretend to be a national power?

National powers don't cower. We're not Kansas State. Joe Castiglione needs to assert OU's strength independent of what Texas or anyone else does.

Texas is the biggest coward of all. They're always threatening to move, but they won't go it alone. They talk a big talk. But, when it comes to walking the walk, they've got to run around and make sure Texas A&M and Oklahoma are with them.

We should just tell them to go hang.

It wouldn't be us that would cower. It would be that team from Asstown.

SoonerBacker
6/11/2010, 04:35 PM
It wouldn't be us that would cower. It would be that team from Asstown.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those who are saying that the RRR would die if we go to different conferneces are trying to point out that it is saxet who would run from the OOC game. Look at them now! They schedule one of the weakest slates of teams in their OOC games while in the Big XII. That is not going to change if we go separate ways.

cjames317
6/11/2010, 05:51 PM
My OU football history began with my freshman year in 1980. Based on my trips to the Cotton Bowl since then, I think the intensity of the OU/tx game ramped up after we hooked up in conference.

OU Adonis
6/11/2010, 11:38 PM
It would survive as an OOC game but I digress

Collier11
6/11/2010, 11:53 PM
Adonis, its simple...if you want OU to be a success we should stay with texas

ndpruitt03
6/12/2010, 12:13 AM
Some other teams fans wish they were riding the coattails of Texas, You want a perfect example meet this Mizzou fan.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=7648045

Athletics wise, the best case scenario is still a fail now

I'm talking in terms of football recruiting territory, television revenue and exposure, etc. No matter what, Mizzou has completely boxed itself out of this emerging Pac-16, of its own doing by challenging Texas the way we did. The best case scenario for us now is to be in a Rust Belt conference anchored by Chicago and an bunch of cold weather cities that are losing population, and maybe some of the metro New York City market thrown in. That's if we're lucky. Meanwhile, many of our old conference brothers are assuredly now in a league that includes the television and recruiting territories of BOTH California AND Texas...that is a damn gold mine. I don't care if you're a second class or even third class citizen in that league, it presents opportunity galore. Take a look some time at a top 100 list of the best football recruits in the country and see where they all come from.

Personally, from here on out no matter what happens, this was a bad move. And I have a feeling our rivals to the west will be demonstrating to us daily for many years to come that it was a bad move.

JohnnyMack
6/12/2010, 12:40 AM
People who spend time arguing about Texas and Oklahoma and the rivalry are the same people who argue about republicans versus democrats and Bush versus Obama without ever figuring out that that's what the ones who hold the money and the power want you to be focusing on. This whole thing is about money and power. Oklahoma should get in Texas' wake and ride behind it to the payday. Anything else would be ridiculous...no, insane.

delhalew
6/12/2010, 02:21 AM
People who spend time arguing about Texas and Oklahoma and the rivalry are the same people who argue about republicans versus democrats and Bush versus Obama without ever figuring out that that's what the ones who hold the money and the power want you to be focusing on. This whole thing is about money and power. Oklahoma should get in Texas' wake and ride behind it to the payday. Anything else would be ridiculous...no, insane.

Putting together your own deal with the SEC would provide plenty of money and power. Also, your breath wouldn't taste like Texas' *******.

ouflak
6/12/2010, 05:34 AM
Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-FSU. Notre Dame-USC. Does anybody really think that Ohio State-Michigan or Auburn-Alabama would stop playing those BIG MONEY big tradition games just because they are different conferences? That's crazy. OU-Texas will play on until the sport of college football itself is disbanded.