PDA

View Full Version : Okla St hopes to stick with Texas in realignment

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:23 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY — When Big 12 teams are done shuffling, Oklahoma State officials are hopeful they'll still be united with national powerhouse Texas.

Colorado became the first Big 12 team to leave when it decided Thursday to join the Pac-10 Conference. Oklahoma State is one of five other Big 12 teams that may also head to the Pac-10, but the key factor appears to be what the Longhorns do.

In an e-mail to University of Texas system regent Robert L. Stillwell last week, OSU athletic director Mike Holder wrote: "We just want to be with Texas when the dust settles!"

Stillwell is linked to Oklahoma State through longtime associate T. Boone Pickens, the billionaire alumnus who has donated millions of dollars to both schools.

Excerpt: Read More at http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/okla-st-hopes-to-stick-with-texas-in-741665.html

NOTE: Bet Okie State didn't send a message to OU saying they wanted to stick with us! I am cracking up laughing at this report in the Austin paper.

goingoneight
6/11/2010, 12:25 PM
"We're in... it cost us... but we're in."

-Boone Pickens, 6/10/10

Wonder how much $$$ Big Daddy Boone dropped for this move?

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:36 PM
The good news is that it looks like OU and OSU will be able to split now with Boone calling the shots for OSU. I would love nothing better than be in a separate conference from OSU and no more Bedlam which has been dumb to begin with -- they are not a rival when they have won so few games.

Reports from ESPN say that A&M wants to go the SEC and TX to Big 10 or PAC 10. Guess the meeting between A&M and Texas did not go well and Gov Perry is not getting involved.

Starting to see more of OU and A&M to SEC around the Net.

Sooner-N-KS
6/11/2010, 12:38 PM
I guess TMZ should stick with chasing celebrities.

Dio
6/11/2010, 12:43 PM
We just want to be with Texas when the dust settles!

Mizzou thinks this sounds a little desperate.

NOVSooner
6/11/2010, 12:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Missouri-committed-to-Big-12-Oklahoma-St-following-Texas-061110

basically same thing

Soonez
6/11/2010, 01:20 PM
Good lord. How pathetic. Expected, but pathetic.

ouwasp
6/11/2010, 01:33 PM
I don't expect to see OU/osu in separate conferences... but that is a pleasant thought :) . I would expect that not to happen; too much legislative howling. If it were to come to pass it would be great to see OU offer a 2-for-1 take-it-or-leave-it basis for continuing a very one-sided "rivalry"...

Mississippi Sooner
6/11/2010, 01:35 PM
I don't expect to see OU/osu in separate conferences... but that is a pleasant thought :) . I would expect that not to happen; too much legislative howling. If it were to come to pass it would be great to see OU offer a 2-for-1 take-it-or-leave-it basis for continuing a very one-sided "rivalry"...

That would be gold.

HBick
6/11/2010, 01:46 PM
Anyone else catch uncle on the animal when he was talking about drAggies?

I laughed out loud at Shell when I was getting out of my car and people stared at me. Then I realized they people staring were wearing orange and were listening to the same thing haha

HBick
6/11/2010, 01:52 PM
Oh, and this deserves it's own post.

Typical aggies

Not to mention the idea of never going to Stillwater again, ever.

People, please let that sink in.

Jello Biafra
6/11/2010, 02:00 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY — Texas system regent Robert L. Stillwell .

sunufabish!!!!!

really?!?!?

i pray to god this dude isn't related.

steross
6/13/2010, 10:31 AM
The good news is that it looks like OU and OSU will be able to split now with Boone calling the shots for OSU. I would love nothing better than be in a separate conference from OSU and no more OU-OSU which has been dumb to begin with -- they are not a rival when they have won so few games.

Reports from ESPN say that A&M wants to go the SEC and TX to Big 10 or PAC 10. Guess the meeting between A&M and Texas did not go well and Gov Perry is not getting involved.

Starting to see more of OU and A&M to SEC around the Net.

So your logic is because your team has beaten the other team many more times in one of the sports that you play that you want more than anything to move to a separate conference? Doesn't that mean you would have been happier losing more games in the series? Is it just football games that you want to lose to make it a rivalry as many of the other sports are close or to OSU's advantage? Is football the only sport in which it isn't a rivalry? How about baseball (148-142 OSU), basketball (124-88 OU), or wrestling (124-27-9 OSU)? I would assume that baseball and basketball are close enough not to be "dumb" rivalries. How about wrestling? What percentage winning does one team need to no longer consider the other team a rival?

soonerinabilene
6/13/2010, 10:47 AM
ah yes, the wrestling arguement. never fails.

steross
6/13/2010, 10:52 AM
Not an argument at all. Just a question and an example. I'm not silly enough to think that wrestling is the same as football on a popularity scale. I just do not understand why you would want more than anything to move away from a team that you frequently beat at a sport. I'm not really a wrestling fan. But, if I was, I can't say that I would be wanting to end a series because we dominate it. I just do not understand that line of thinking.

picasso
6/13/2010, 10:52 AM
So your logic is because your team has beaten the other team many more times in one of the sports that you play that you want more than anything to move to a separate conference? Doesn't that mean you would have been happier losing more games in the series? Is it just football games that you want to lose to make it a rivalry as many of the other sports are close or to OSU's advantage? Is football the only sport in which it isn't a rivalry? How about baseball (148-142 OSU), basketball (124-88 OU), or wrestling (124-27-9 OSU)? I would assume that baseball and basketball are close enough not to be "dumb" rivalries. How about wrestling? What percentage winning does one team need to no longer consider the other team a rival?

Hate to tell you this but the big hub-bub right now is all about football.

Soonez
6/13/2010, 10:56 AM
Here comes the resslin argument. Got us again you crafty pokes!

steross
6/13/2010, 10:56 AM
Hate to tell you this but the big hub-bub right now is all about football.

No doubt. Although, I think that OSU having 49 championships got a few brownie points for the Pac 10. Would not have mattered for the SEC or anyone else. But the Pac 10 bills itself as the "Conference of Champions." Adding OSU gives them 4 of the top 5 schools in championships.

Soonez
6/13/2010, 10:58 AM
It's not that anyone wants it to end, we just don't really care. Really.

picasso
6/13/2010, 11:04 AM
No doubt. Although, I think that OSU having 49 championships got a few brownie points for the Pac 10. Would not have mattered for the SEC or anyone else. But the Pac 10 bills itself as the "Conference of Champions." Adding OSU gives them 4 of the top 5 schools in championships.

I think by "brownie points" you mean T. Boone Pickens' assets.

steross
6/13/2010, 11:04 AM
"Would love nothing better" doesn't sound much like "I don't care."

I am an OSU alum. I moved away from Oklahoma after graduation many years ago. I've never "hated" OU or had any reason to. In fact, back when sports were not so abundant on TV it was nice just to occasionally see a team from my home state at all. I recently moved back. I see a lot of hatred on both sides. You can say you do not care. But the things I hear now that I am back in OK and the proliferation of posts on this board that make fun of OSU would say otherwise. I know you care more about UT. Of course you would. But that really doesn't mean that you don't really care about OSU.

picasso
6/13/2010, 11:07 AM
"Would love nothing better" doesn't sound much like "I don't care."

I am an OSU alum. I moved away from Oklahoma after graduation many years ago. I've never "hated" OU or had any reason to. In fact, back when sports were not so abundant on TV it was nice just to occasionally see a team from my home state at all. I recently moved back. I see a lot of hatred on both sides. You can say you do not care. But the things I hear now that I am back in OK and the proliferation of posts on this board that make fun of OSU would say otherwise. I know you care more about UT. Of course you would. But that really doesn't mean that you don't really care about OSU.

You missed it then. You got the upper hand in mid 90's in FOOTBALL and your fans came out of the woodwork. There was even a 12-0 bumper sticker floating about.
Just look at the Aggiegasm after beating Georgia and getting the SI cover.

The hatred wasn't around until you got competitive in football. oSu even has OU to thank for it's new digs.

Starting to get the power of the football thing now?:)

badger
6/13/2010, 11:11 AM
OSU wants to continue losing to Texas in football.

steross
6/13/2010, 11:20 AM
You missed it then. You got the upper hand in mid 90's in FOOTBALL and your fans came out of the woodwork. There was even a 12-0 bumper sticker floating about.
Just look at the Aggiegasm after beating Georgia and getting the SI cover.

The hatred wasn't around until you got competitive in football. oSu even has OU to thank for it's new digs.

Starting to get the power of the football thing now?:)

Why wouldn't we be excited by that?

Yes, it appears that OSU after many, many years is actually making an attempt to be competitive in football. Not just the, "next year will be better thing" but actually improving facilities, emphasis etc. Those are the reasons that we were even considered for this conference instead of being left like Baylor, KU etc. A long way to go to be on an elite level, certainly. The hatred probably is new. But that seems like an odd time to decide that we should not be considered a rival.

I didn't mention those other sports to claim that they are on par with football. They aren't. It was just to show the lack of logic in that post. Which nobody has defended, BTW.

steross
6/13/2010, 11:23 AM
OSU wants to continue losing to Texas in football.

Yes. Given the choice of losing to UT with the chance of eventually getting better or the being relegated to fight for recruits in the MWC it was a better decision.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 12:45 PM
The way oSu whored their fans into buying Season Tickets to get OU Tickets every two years is gonna blow up in their face. I can't wait to see the amount of lost revenue they blow off leaving a guaranteed Home / Away series with OU by having Conference ties.

More proof they don't know what the **** they are doing.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2010, 12:49 PM
OSU wants to continue losing to Texas in football.Yeah, that's what makes their desire to suck up to tx a bit puzzling.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 12:52 PM
They would never say that whatever it takes to stay under Oklahoma...their ego couldn't take it. Funny how they cower to the whorns.

badger
6/13/2010, 12:52 PM
The way oSu whored their fans into buying Season Tickets to get OU Tickets every two years is gonna blow up in their face.

The only way it blows up in their face is if they don't have a good matchup during the off-OU years. The Bedl@m crap will continue, even if OU and OSU are in different conferences.

OSU will need to continue scheduling a highly anticipated matchup in football on the years they travel to Norman for football, or the whole season ticket screwjob policy will not work. They were lucky they had Georgia on their schedule. They are gonna need another Georgia-like opponent for 2011, 2013, etc etc to keep this going.

If they go to the Pac 10, they might have a chance at a USC home game in 2013. They might be able to convince their fans that Texas at home in 2011 is worth a season ticket, but only if they have a good 2010 season or really, really high expectations like they had in 2009. I don't think OSU fans would pay season ticket money just to see OSU blown out by Texas at home (again).

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 12:53 PM
Orange on Orange sausage fest!!!

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 12:55 PM
Without Conference ties the Bedlam crap isn't a given IMO. OU doesn't need oSu on their schedule every year but I'm sure we'll negoiate something with them as long as we make the bigger dough. They are gonna need to step up their game or stay in Conference to get the deal they get now from us.

We'll guarantee them the Little Brother money they deserve.

BHB 91
6/13/2010, 02:07 PM
I for one, would not be in any way saddened if we never played OSU ever again in anything. But, I also would prefer to not be in the same conference as UT, either. However, I would still want to see the annual RRR football game against UT and then forget about them for the rest of the year!

That pretty much sums up my hopes in all of this. Probably for all that to happen, OU would need to move to the SEC along with A&M. I think we would be a better fit for the SEC than in the PAC 10 but I think the schedule would be easier in the PAC 10.

Lots of scenarios in this I suppose. Not to mention the possibility even for the rest of the Big 12 to stay together and make improvements although that looks unlikely, now.

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:09 PM
i think moving to the SEC would be suicide.

BHB 91
6/13/2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, it probably would be suicide but I think as fans, we would have more in common with the SEC fans than out West. It would also get us away from UT, too. They just seem to be poison for every conference they get involved with.

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:16 PM
well with USC screwed for a couple years, i say we keep recruiting out west.

hard to steal from bama/florida/georgia

BHB 91
6/13/2010, 02:21 PM
That is one good thing about going West. USC is gonna be down for a little while and we would instantly be one of the big dogs out there. I am torn about which direction we should go but I have confidence in Joe C. and Boren that we will go where it is best for OU. Plus academically the PAC 10 is better choice, too.

6/13/2010, 03:07 PM
i think moving to the SEC would be suicide.Aren't we wasting our time here?(I'm under the impression we are DEFINITE to the Surf and Turf 16)

picasso
6/13/2010, 03:46 PM
Why wouldn't we be excited by that?

Yes, it appears that OSU after many, many years is actually making an attempt to be competitive in football. Not just the, "next year will be better thing" but actually improving facilities, emphasis etc. Those are the reasons that we were even considered for this conference instead of being left like Baylor, KU etc. A long way to go to be on an elite level, certainly. The hatred probably is new. But that seems like an odd time to decide that we should not be considered a rival.

I didn't mention those other sports to claim that they are on par with football. They aren't. It was just to show the lack of logic in that post. Which nobody has defended, BTW.

Sheesh dude, my point is that it took the game of FOOTBALL to get your fan base aroused.

And Scott Verplank and others just reaffirmed the fact that you guys couldn't even celebrate your win over Georgia without gloating in OU's loss to BYU.

That's why you'll always be wannabe oSu.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 04:11 PM
Does OSU realize that we are pretty much forced to take them with us. That said I would lean toward the SEC only because they said they are not interested in OSU ONLY Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M. If they could have gotten OU and TX, a source in the SEC said they would not be interested in A&M either.

steross
6/13/2010, 04:16 PM
Sheesh dude, my point is that it took the game of FOOTBALL to get your fan base aroused.

And Scott Verplank and others just reaffirmed the fact that you guys couldn't even celebrate your win over Georgia without gloating in OU's loss to BYU.

That's why you'll always be wannabe oSu.

We have been a pretty strong basketball fan base for years. I don't know what Verplank said but I agree that tacky things have been said. Especially considering that loss hinged on the injury to Sam Bradford* who is a player that you would just have to be an a** to dislike. But, you have to admit there are just as many tacky things said on this very board about OSU.

*Before I moved back to OK I met a good friend who is an OU alum at the 2008 B12 championship game in Kansas City. Holy crap just watching Bradford's accuracy on long passes over and over had me sold.

steross
6/13/2010, 04:22 PM
Does OSU realize that we are pretty much forced to take them with us. That said I would lean toward the SEC only because they said they are not interested in OSU ONLY Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M. If they could have gotten OU and TX, a source in the SEC said they would not be interested in A&M either.

Where does this come from? I have read a lot and all of the maneuvering from Hargis, Pickens, and Holder have been to keep OSU with UT. I have not seen one comment from anyone with a stake in this situation that has stated that OU has to take OSU or vice versa.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-big12-oklahomast

In an e-mail to University of Texas system regent Robert L. Stillwell last week, OSU athletic director Mike Holder wrote: “We just want to be with Texas when the dust settles!”

Another e-mail from Holder to Stillwell last week states: “Looks like Texas may be headed to Pac-10. … Just lucky that OSU will get to join you if push comes to shove. Pays to have friends!”

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 04:35 PM
From our Stupid State Legislature! They want the two schools together and sometime back they passed something that said where OU went OSU had to be in the same conference.

I didn't even live here at the time but any thought of OU goes to the SEC and leaving OSU behind was written about in the Oklahoman that most of the legislators are OSU grads and that was not going to happen as they were veto it.

If you think that UT cannot wait to take OSU, you just made my day. There are two schools in the mix the conferences care about -- OU/TX so get used to it. SEC said they want OU/TX but would take A&M but they will not take OSU. How's those apples?

Love how you people from Okie State come on our message board and shove it -- guess it makes you feel good? Too funny trying to convince us how much Texas likes you.

What was that score of our game to end 2009 regular season again? This was supposed to be the year that the Aggies won. Something happened that day.

badger
6/13/2010, 04:59 PM
What was that score of our game to end 2009 regular season again? This was supposed to be the year that the Aggies won. Something happened that day.

Nah, nothing happened that day... if you were wearing orange :D

steross
6/13/2010, 05:09 PM
What does one game have to do with what we are talking about? I was trying to have an adult conversation and it was going fairly well. I'm not here to "talk smack." That is boring. I was there. OU won. I didn't like the game outcome or our gameplan but had a good time anyway. Now that is out of the way, if soonerfans can't have a discussion with someone from another school, I will be happy to leave.

I am not trying to convince you that Texas "likes us." This isn't high school. I posted a link to what is actually happening in the situation. Our AD talking with a Texas regent and didn't even mention OU. All this talk about the OK legislature passing something joining us seems bogus to me. What did they pass? If there is a law or something shouldn't we know about it? Isn't there a statement or a link? Wouldn't a reporter have dug that up? I just keep hearing OU fans complaining about it but I haven't seen anything that actually shows it to be true.

As far as OSU to the SEC, I am glad that is true as I don't really want OSU to be in the SEC. Appears to me that the SEC is after A&M, not OU. I believe they think that OU (and UT who is the real goal in all of this) are gone to the PAC 10.

badger
6/13/2010, 05:17 PM
What does one game have to do with what we are talking about? I was trying to have an adult conversation and it was going fairly well. I'm not here to "talk smack." That is boring.

Yes it is boring... if you're a Poke.

Ok, ok, I'll stop. We're just having fun. We're both in a good position here, so why not have a little joke time? It's panic and be-angry-at-the-world time if you're Baylor, not if you're OSU :D

steross
6/13/2010, 05:26 PM
Yes it is boring... if you're a Poke.

Ok, ok, I'll stop. We're just having fun. We're both in a good position here, so why not have a little joke time? It's panic and be-angry-at-the-world time if you're Baylor, not if you're OSU :D

No problem then. As long as it is all in fun. Some people get a little too serious with that stuff. Really, I should be happy. With USC and OU both about to be under the gun of huge penalties, OSU will only have UT in our way to greatness.;)

I am pretty pumped about the situation. I know we are a small fry and think fortunate timing on a facility upgrade, TBP political connections in TX, and big time UT ***-kissing kept us in. Whatever it takes I suppose. But, I really don't think our involvement is just as a tag along to OU despite what many OU fans think. Baylor shows that tag alongs are not guaranteed a ride.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 05:31 PM
steross...

Quit reading Rivals and quit listening to local Sports Radio.

It's good you're here though...you'll have a better chance at gettting the real story here.

6/13/2010, 05:34 PM
With USC and OU both about to be under the gun of huge penaltiesWhat OU penalties are you referring to?

steross
6/13/2010, 05:36 PM
What OU penalties are you referring to?

It was a joke, why I put "about to be" and the ";) "

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 05:46 PM
Here steross...this might help settle you down a bit.

dr9QmTl5v48&feature=popt00us02

6/13/2010, 06:01 PM
It was a joke, why I put "about to be" and the ";) "Say, you are a real aggy comic, aren't you?haha

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 06:04 PM
I am sure the PAC 10 just cannot wait to get your OSU 49 national championships -- decided to look them up:

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Basketball-(2) 1945,1946

Baseball-1959

Cross Country-1954, 2009

Golf-(10) 1963, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2006

Wrestling-(34) 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1971, 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Except for Golf and maybe Cross County, you can take it to the bank that the PAC-10 doesn't care about your wrestling championships and neither do most universities.

SoonerInKCMO
6/13/2010, 06:21 PM
It was a joke, why I put "about to be" and the ";) "

Oh, I thought the "in our way to greatness" was the joke part. :D

steross
6/13/2010, 06:52 PM
Except for Golf and maybe Cross County, you can take it to the bank that the PAC-10 doesn't care about your wrestling championships and neither do most universities.

The Pac-10 bank called, and being that ASU already deposited a wrestling championship, I'm thinking you are wrong again. Or maybe you can contact them to see if they will remove it since you are convinced that they do not care anything about it. It does sort of clutter the site and take away from those important sports that these universities care about like water polo, tennis, and rowing.

http://www.pac-10.org/school-bio/pac10-ncaa-team-titles.html

Honestly, I said I am not into smack talk. It isn't why I posted here. That really is true. But my goodness, you have one of the, if not the, greatest football traditions in college football history and you decide to smack about overall sports championships? Something we happened to be in the top five of all universities, ever. I never knew it could be this easy on a OU site.

steross
6/13/2010, 06:54 PM
Oh, I thought the "in our way to greatness" was the joke part. :D

Nah. With USC and OU out of the way, it would be a snap. Getting by little ol' UT wouldn't be nothing.:rolleyes:

badger
6/13/2010, 09:46 PM
steross, I'm sure you can understand how you will have to be a little bit more funny and less anti-sooner in your jokes over here. it's the same for sooner lurkers on op.com... one "I'm a man" retort and you're banned to the Bedl@m board in a second.

How to make SoonerFans.com appropriate jokes if you're an opposing fan, or even if you're a Sooner fan:

1- Always add a winkie. ;) After every sentence, even if you're being serious. ;) This way, if people get angry, you can say, "But I added a winkie to show that I was joking!" ;)

2- Insult other schools and/or yourself more than OU. If you are going to point out our lack of wrestling championships, add things like "Not that you all care about wrestling championships when you've got us beat 7-0 in football championships, haha, a shutout, just like our last football game, haha" and you will be able to say the number "49!" as many times as you want, winkie or not.

3- On second thought, add a winkie. Just to be safe. ;)

4- Never, ever criticize an OU legend, coach or player, especially if we love him. No amount of winkies will get you out of trying to mock how many times Billy Sims said "Boomer" at Sammie's Heisman ceremony. There are just certain topics that are off-limits.

5- Identify yourself as a foe. This helps in understanding why your jokes are inferior and insulting. Start off jokes like "I'm just a dumb Oklahoma A&M tiger-poke-aggie, but Barry Switzer likes my athletic village, so we have some common ground, amirite?"

6- Take jokes nicely and cool-like when they're shot your way. When someone tells you that you haven't won a Bedl@m game since 2002, don't get defensive. Instead, following each of the above rules, respond with a SoonerFans.com-approved joke, such as follows:

I'm just a dumb Oklahoma A&M tiger-poke-aggie, but I know how much those arrogant bastard whorns suck, too. ;) Yeah, we did win in 2002, and yes, we tore down both goalposts and rushed the field, but I'm sure you all loved the Rose Bowl that year. ;) Just think, it's cuz of that 2002 Poke loss that you didn't have to lose the Fiesta Bowl till 2006! ;) But seriously, we hate Boise State too, so you better not make us join them in the MWC ;)

See how easy that was? Jokes are so easy a poke can do it. ;)

steross
6/13/2010, 10:50 PM
Being a dumb poke, I'm actually not sure. How many times did Billy Sims* say "boomer" at the ceremony? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

*Actually, I really like Billy Sims, and Kenny King too. I was a little kid and my big sis was going to OU. She had some classes with those guys and got to know them pretty well. They were playing in a charity wheelchair basketball game and both spent quite a bit of time playing around with me. Pretty awesome experience for a 9-10 year old kid.

badger
6/13/2010, 10:56 PM
:D It seems you have read the memo correctly. Welcome to sf.com. Play nicely with the other posters :P

goingoneight
6/13/2010, 11:07 PM

You don't think Sugar Daddy Boone's rumored donations to Tejas has anything to do with it?

Leroy Lizard
6/13/2010, 11:17 PM

Cal likes men's wrestling, but for the wrong reasons.

SoonerMom2
6/13/2010, 11:25 PM
Cal likes men's wrestling, but for the wrong reasons.

ROFLOL!!! That's a go one! I almost blew water across my keyboard with that one! :)