PDA

View Full Version : OU to SEC...

Soonerus
6/11/2010, 10:04 AM
I prefer the PAC -- but this is what my sources are saying...hope it is wrong...

OklahomaTuba
6/11/2010, 10:07 AM
Sec would be a better fit. And closer.

Oh, and no PAC-whatever refs

delhalew
6/11/2010, 10:09 AM
SEC is next best option to being independant.

OUthunder
6/11/2010, 10:11 AM
I prefer the SEC. Better fans, more tradition, less arrogance.

rawlingsHOH
6/11/2010, 10:13 AM
good move

soonervegas
6/11/2010, 11:09 AM
how good are your sources? who is coming with?

KantoSooner
6/11/2010, 11:11 AM
timing on official announcement?

may be better choice, but God, I wanted to play USC, in Norman, while they were down. Just beat those filthy dogs up and down the field all day long.

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 11:15 AM
Since when?

How did we go from for sure going to the Pac 10 to for sure going to the SEC in 24 hours? The only rumor I've heard with mutual interest between a conference and OU is the Pac 10 at this point.

I'm skeptical of all these Big 10 and SEC rumors...

If we could jump to the SEC with UT, I would be all for it. I don't see UT going to the SEC, though.

sooner518
6/11/2010, 11:15 AM

less arrogance? what? have you talked to any SEC fans in the past 5 years without them chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" in your face?

Widescreen
6/11/2010, 11:18 AM
timing on official announcement?

may be better choice, but God, I wanted to play USC, in Norman, while they were down. Just beat those filthy dogs up and down the field all day long.

I'd rather beat them up and down the field all day when they're up.

soonerboomer93
6/11/2010, 11:18 AM
Since when?

How did we go from for sure going to the Pac 10 to for sure going to the SEC in 24 hours? The only rumor I've heard with mutual interest between a conference and OU is the Pac 10 at this point.

I'm skeptical of all these Big 10 and SEC rumors...

If we could jump to the SEC with UT, I would be all for it. I don't see UT going to the SEC, though.

Actually, Joe C told the Tulsa World yesterday that we'd had conversations and an invite from the SEC.

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 11:21 AM
Actually, Joe C told the Tulsa World yesterday that we'd had conversations and an invite from the SEC.

OK, if we operate under the assumption that we DO have an invite to the SEC, who else is the SEC trying to get?

They won't expand to 13 teams...they need an even number, and probably some multiple of 4.

So who are the other 1 or 3 teams?

StoopTroup
6/11/2010, 11:23 AM
Oral Roberts

humblesooner
6/11/2010, 11:24 AM

I'd sure like to see the link on this one.

But yesterday, the KC TV station was reporting that UT and A&M were petitioning the B10 for an invitation and OU was petitioning the SEC for an invitation. The word "petitioning" makes me think the universities were the pursuers, rather than the conferences.
??

Dio
6/11/2010, 11:25 AM
OK, if we operate under the assumption that we DO have an invite to the SEC, who else is the SEC trying to get?

They won't expand to 13 teams...they need an even number, and probably some multiple of 4.

So who are the other 1 or 3 teams?

Pick from:
A&M
VaTech
FreeShoes
GaTech
Clempson

diegosooner
6/11/2010, 11:27 AM
I prefer the Pac 10, but SEC would be interesting.

Undefeated seasons are hard enough to come by, but they will be tougher now.

Mississippi Sooner
6/11/2010, 11:29 AM
I know one thing for sure, all this realignment talk has certainly lit up the message boards. It seems like whenever I'd check in before, there would be somewhere between 30 - 50 people viewing at any one time. Over the past few days, though, that number has jumped to between 180 - 200.

I'm sure it's pretty much the same story at the message boards of all the other affected schools.

Mississippi Sooner
6/11/2010, 11:31 AM
Oh, and for purely selfish reasons, I'd prefer the SEC. I have four SEC stadiums within easy driving distance. I'd love to be able to get to a couple of road games per year without having to plan a vacation around it.

TUSooner
6/11/2010, 11:36 AM

Better fans? LSU's are the rottenest apples in the whole barrel.

More tradition? Since when?

Less arrogance? Than the Vatican or the Democratic Party perhaps.

:D

Still, it might be a better fit, at least geographically.

Mississippi Sooner
6/11/2010, 11:41 AM

More tradition? Since when?

Less arrogance? Than the Vatican or the Democratic Party perhaps.

Still, it might be a better fit, at least geographically.

Night games at LSU can be almost like a war zone for visiting fans. Give them all day to get drunked up, and LSU fans are among the most obnoxious in the nation.

Of course, I'm sure anyone who went to the Sugar Bowl in 2004 can tell you that.

yermom
6/11/2010, 11:42 AM
geographically it's worse than the plans we've been talking about with the projected Pac-16 changes

at least in that situation the majority of the division would be similar to what they are now. with the SEC our division would change a lot more and all the new conference members are a pretty good jaunt from Norman, other than Arkansas

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 11:46 AM
If we pass up a chance to join the Stanfords and Berkeleys of the world to join the SEC, we will have made a tremendous mistake.

Dio
6/11/2010, 11:48 AM
If we pass up a chance to join the Stanfords and Berkeleys of the world to join the SEC, we will have made a tremendous mistake.

Why do you hate Arky and Miss State? ;)

JohnnyMack
6/11/2010, 11:50 AM
Personally I'd rather not be in the SEC west and have to deal with Saturday night road SEC games.

Sooner5030
6/11/2010, 11:53 AM
SEC only if the BIG 12 cannot be salvaged in some way. I can't believe so many schools with such long traditions went into PANIC mode once CU/UNL were out. This is a slow (1-2 years before it starts) and expensive(50-80% revenue to the BG12 for leaving) process. We'd better make sure and look at every aspect before paying ~$12 million to join the freaking PAC__ or SEC.

soonerboomer93
6/11/2010, 11:55 AM
I'd sure like to see the link on this one.

But yesterday, the KC TV station was reporting that UT and A&M were petitioning the B10 for an invitation and OU was petitioning the SEC for an invitation. The word "petitioning" makes me think the universities were the pursuers, rather than the conferences.
??

Apparently the Big 10 doesn't send out invites, UN will have to petition to join.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100610_202_B1_OKLAHO7815

While Castiglione also confirmed that the Southeastern Conference has shown interest in the Sooners, OU's position is that it's going to stick with Texas wherever the Longhorns go because of the long history between the two schools

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100610_202_B1_OKLAHO7815

Bluemound Freak
6/11/2010, 11:56 AM
Good Move in my opinion, c'mon down to SEC country! I have heard rumors all day about North Carolina and Va Tech, FSU, Clemson, Miami.........personally I would love to see UT and OU in the SEC. Don't care anything about getting ACC and Big East converts, we want the meat and potatoes of the Big 12 and leave the patsy's to the Pac whatever and the Big 10! I would love to see OU and Texas on the schedule for Auburn. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma...........that should scare the pants off of any other conference out there!

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 11:58 AM

From a purely football perspective, the SEC is mighty attractive. But in the bigger picture, I totally agree with you. Given that all of these moves are about money, joining the Pac 10 is going to bring in more money in the long run for the university. Grants, research money, contracts, and the entire academic profile will all benefit much more from joining the Pac 10. I don't care to do the leg work to put a dollar value on this, but it will dwarf whatever advantage we'd see from the athletic department.

But we just care about football, right? ;)

Sooner5030
6/11/2010, 12:02 PM
But we just care about football, right?

Mostly.....the debate teams aren't gonna bring in enough revenue to pay for the other 16 sports to travel all over the PACWEST.

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 12:07 PM
From a purely football perspective, the SEC is mighty attractive. But in the bigger picture, I totally agree with you.

Get ready for some red spek. :D

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 12:13 PM
Mostly.....the debate teams aren't gonna bring in enough revenue to pay for the other 16 sports to travel all over the PACWEST.

Hahaha, of course. But re-read what I wrote. I'm talking about the entirety of the academic benefits we'd see, which will amount to a huge financial windfall. Short of a TV contract that bankrupts several networks, the athletic department isn't going to make up that difference for the university. Football is going to pay the way for the other teams in any eventuality!

PalmBeachSooner
Pick from:
A&M
VaTech
FreeShoes
GaTech
Clempson

Unless it's solely for the money I don't think any ACC team wants anything to do with the SEC when it comes to football. On the flip side I'm not sure the SEC wants anything to do with ACC basketball.

I really don't see any obvious expansion avenues for the SEC.

OULenexaman
tick tock....tick tock...this is brutal...

delhalew
6/11/2010, 12:16 PM
Man...I would love to see little brother in the SEC. :D

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 12:18 PM
Hahaha, of course. But re-read what I wrote. I'm talking about the entirety of the academic benefits we'd see, which will amount to a huge financial windfall. Short of a TV contract that bankrupts several networks, the athletic department isn't going to make up that difference for the university. Football is going to pay the way for the other teams in any eventuality!

Top-flight research departments can bring in far more money than an athletic department can anyway. So if it's $$$ one is concerned about, no worry. No matter how you slice it, the Pac-16 is a better move.

We just need to build more top-flight research departments, and a move to join teams out west can help.

SoonerLB
6/11/2010, 12:20 PM

I concur! Let Nebraska be the only one that moves to a lessor conference. ;)

PalmBeachSooner
6/11/2010, 12:21 PM
SEC only if the BIG 12 cannot be salvaged in some way. I can't believe so many schools with such long traditions went into PANIC mode once CU/UNL were out. This is a slow (1-2 years before it starts) and expensive(50-80% revenue to the BG12 for leaving) process. We'd better make sure and look at every aspect before paying ~$12 million to join the freaking PAC__ or SEC.

Not trying to be a butthead but hold tradition in one hand and $20 million plus in the other.

Sooner5030
6/11/2010, 12:22 PM
Top-flight research departments can bring in far more money than an athletic department can anyway. So if it's $$$ one is concerned about, no worry. No matter how you slice it, the Pac-16 is a better move.

Athletic conference alignment does not get you more research $. Look at Wash st. or OSU.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:24 PM
President Boren gets us more research dollars not a conference!

Sooner5030
6/11/2010, 12:25 PM
Not trying to be a butthead but hold tradition in one hand and $20 million plus in the other

The only amount you can count on is paying the fee to leave. After negotiations who says you initially get 1/14 of the SEC money split? And this is after we give up 50% of our BIG12 split for 2 consecutive years just to leave.

It's not a "tradition in one hand, $20 million in the other" decision.

Dio
6/11/2010, 12:32 PM
The Ref says UT will have a presser within the hour

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 12:36 PM
Athletic conference alignment does not get you more research $. Look at Wash st. or OSU.

Conference alignment bleeds into everything a university does. And you most certainly do have more research partnership opportunities with those schools with whom you share a conference. I don't want our professors calling up WSU or Oregon State when they can call Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Arizona, or UW. That's a lot of academic heft we could access.

President Boren is an excellent fundraiser, and his job is a lot easier when there's exciting research for him to pitch. That's where good academic partnerships and industrious faculty come in. It's not a one-way street. Professors and researchers do vast amounts of work on their own to secure grant money.

Jdog
6/11/2010, 12:49 PM

I would agree if we were joining the Stanfords and Berkeleys - but we're not. We get the Arizona's and Arizona states.

We'll only play the West teams in Norman once evey 8 years.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:52 PM
The Ref says UT will have a presser within the hour

Report: UT regents will meet Tuesday
By Richard Tijerina | Friday, June 11, 2010, 12:20 PM

The governing board of the University of Texas will meet Tuesday regarding athletic conference membership, officials announced today.

In his higher education blog, Statesman staffer Ralph Haurwitz says the meeting of the Board of Regents will be at 11 a.m. in Ashbel Smith Hall in downtown Austin.

The brief agenda item for the meeting reads: “Discussion and appropriate action regarding athletic conference membership.”

Source: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/06/11/report_ut_regen.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

GottaHavePride
6/11/2010, 01:29 PM
I would agree if we were joining the Stanfords and Berkeleys - but we're not. We get the Arizona's and Arizona states.

We'll only play the West teams in Norman once evey 8 years.

Sweet bejeezus - research opportunities don't hinge on who you play in a sport each season.

yermom
6/11/2010, 01:39 PM
you know, we could probably beat up on the Ivy League schools every year

soonersweetie
6/11/2010, 01:43 PM
But...but...I don't want to wait til next Tuesday to find out what's going on! I want to know now!! This waiting is killing me!!!

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 01:44 PM
Fox Sports is reporting that A&M is balking at going to the PAC-10 and wants to go to the SEC. Fox still has four of us going to the PAC-10 and now Kansas or Utah replacing A&M.

Stay tuned for more rumors until Tuesday when everything should be more clear af the TX Board of Regents meets. Mack Brown against move to Big 10 along with Dodds according to Austin paper.

If Kansas replaced A&M, there would be nine votes and no penalty money paid to the Big 12 for leaving and the conference would dissolve with nine votes.

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 01:46 PM

Hahahaha! That was the logical end to that conversation.

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 01:51 PM
Fox Sports is reporting that A&M is balking at going to the PAC-10 and wants to go to the SEC. Fox still has four of us going to the PAC-10 and now Kansas or Utah replacing A&M.

Stay tuned for more rumors until Tuesday when everything should be more clear af the TX Board of Regents meets. Mack Brown against move to Big 10 along with Dodds according to Austin paper.

If Kansas replaced A&M, there would be nine votes and no penalty money paid to the Big 12 for leaving and the conference would dissolve with nine votes.

Very interesting. I'd be in favor of taking Kansas, for sentimental reasons if nothing else. That also improves the potential badassery of the Pac 16 as a basketball conference.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 01:53 PM
A well-placed Big 12 school official, speaking anonymously because he was not authorized to talk publicly and because matters remain fluid, said UT is not in active discussions with the Big Ten or seeking an invitation from that conference.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/big-12s-future-increasingly-doubtful-740862.html

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 01:55 PM
If A&M moves to the SEC and we take Kansas to the PAC 10, basketball would be much better in the PAC 10. Plus there is the advantage of not having to pay a fee to leave the Big 12.

Texas is going to announce they are joining the PAC 10 on Tuesday after the regents meet said Myron of KREF according to Orange Blood and also said OU will also be making the same announcement on Tuesday.

Widescreen
6/11/2010, 01:58 PM
Texas is going to announce they are joining the PAC 10 on Tuesday after the regents meet said Myron of KREF according to Orange Blood and also said OU will also be making the same announcement on Tuesday.

I think this has been said in about 15 different ways in the last 2 days. All you have to do is change out the conference and the day. We'll see.

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 03:04 PM

Annually, the University of Arizona brings in about $500 million dollars in research funding. That doubles President Boren's personal fundraising GOAL for next year.

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 03:06 PM
Sweet bejeezus - research opportunities don't hinge on who you play in a sport each season.

I can see it now: So you are asking for $75 million for an optics lab. Uhh, how did you do against Arizona St. last year in football?

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 03:08 PM

Cornell does not cry itself to sleep every night because it can't play LSU in football. Trust me.

soonerboomer93
6/11/2010, 03:13 PM
If academic and research money weren't a factor then UN wouldn't be interested in the Big 10 as much, or the Big 10 would also be looking at schools purely on an athletic level. The Big 10 is only looking for AAU schools, and apparently UN feels that the CIC would be a big boost to their research grants.

LSUdeek
6/11/2010, 05:29 PM

F

U

;)

Soonerus
6/11/2010, 05:55 PM
newsok.com reporting OU to PAC 10...

BlownGP
6/11/2010, 06:09 PM
less arrogance? what? have you talked to any SEC fans in the past 5 years without them chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" in your face?

hahaah,, no ****. I was going to say the same thing..

These LSU fans make me sick. This year all three sports teams suck and the fans want to hang the coaches...

NorthernIowaSooner
6/11/2010, 08:55 PM
i think the pac 16 needs a new name if were headed their way, nothing screams pacific like oklahoma and texas

Cajun
6/11/2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.ktbs.com/video/23866126/index.html

yermom
6/11/2010, 11:05 PM
i bet it's not good to be Cale Gundy right now :D