PDA

View Full Version : SUC Woes for New PAC-16

PLaw
6/10/2010, 11:33 PM
The NCAA penalties for USC may play heavily into BIG XII teams' decision to join the PAC-16. Just as a NU has been pretty much irrelevant for the past decade on the college football landscape, the penalties imposed by the NCAA will make USC pretty much irrelevant for the next decade. A weak PAC-16 West will look much like the weak Big 12 North, hurting TV ratings and subsequent money payouts.

If OU has a SEC option, then that may be the better choice.

BOOMER

IBleedCrimson
6/10/2010, 11:40 PM
ughghghghhhhh, if u havent heard we are going to the sec, pac 12, independent domer league, and the russian confederation union simulataneously. jeeeessss. get with the rumorboard

Dio
6/10/2010, 11:43 PM
Charles Thompson told me we're joining the Bilderburg Group

sooner59
6/10/2010, 11:44 PM
YES! Finally. Now we are on the inside...

cheezyq
6/11/2010, 09:13 AM
The NCAA penalties for USC may play heavily into BIG XII teams' decision to join the PAC-16. Just as a NU has been pretty much irrelevant for the past decade on the college football landscape, the penalties imposed by the NCAA will make USC pretty much irrelevant for the next decade. A weak PAC-16 West will look much like the weak Big 12 North, hurting TV ratings and subsequent money payouts.

If OU has a SEC option, then that may be the better choice.

BOOMER

I get where you're going, but there's no way I'd agree with this. For one, the recruiting base in California means SOMEONE will pick up the slack and be competitive. This isn't the Big 12 North, where all those schools have to dip into Texas and compete with OU/UT/TAMU/TTech to get decent recruits.

While OU and UT would probably take advantage and dip into the California market for recruits, they can't possibly get all of the good talent out of the area, especially with Texas as their base with all THOSE recruits. Teams like Washington, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and even Arizona will benefit from USC taking a dive, and will all be extra competitive. I see the USC punishment making the conference stronger as a whole, not weaker.

As a whole, I think the Pac-16 will be FAR more powerful in football than the other conferences...assuming it works out that way. Think about it. They will have the West Coast and Texas media markets, with probably 5-7 of the top 15 media centers. Then, we'll all have access to 2 of the 4 recruiting hotbeds in the country. The SEC will only really have the Southeast, and the Big 10 will only have the rust belt.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the Pac-16, from an OU perspective.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 10:06 AM
With SC getting clobbered, rumors are that SC will veto any thought of OU/TX joining the conference the same year they get off probation although I cannot imagine the Pac10 only having 11 schools.

rainiersooner
6/11/2010, 10:07 AM
I think there may be some early advantages for OU and UT for the first couple of years - I don't think there will be a long term impact, and I don't think that you would make a decision about conference membership on such a short period of time.

Dio
6/11/2010, 11:17 AM
Plus, the other 9 schools out there are probably sick of SC's **** and enjoying the schadenfreude this morning. They're not going to put off making more money just because SC is where we were in 1989.