PDA

View Full Version : Heupel said OU to SEC...

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 10:52 PM
He said he received this in a text message.This according to KOCO as of 10:50.

This is getting interesting.

sooner59
6/10/2010, 10:53 PM
You beat me to it. Saw it too. We made duplicate threads.

ouwasp
6/10/2010, 10:54 PM
Indeed.

Hope OSU is left out. :)

Why can't Baylor and the other crybabies go ahead and find their own home in the Lone Star Conf?

batonrougesooner
6/10/2010, 10:55 PM
I'll believe it when someone official announces it. Just hard to believe Heupel would throw that out there.

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 10:56 PM
You beat me to it. Saw it too. We made duplicate threads.

LOL!! This deserves 10 threads. :D

I doubt Heupel would make that up. I think Texas may have bailed on us and OU had no choice but to find a better deal.

PDXsooner
6/10/2010, 10:56 PM
Heupel probably got a text from someone reading the same info as us. I doubt Boren would text Heupel...

batonrougesooner
6/10/2010, 10:57 PM
I do however think a move to the SEC would be really cool. Love to make some great road trips. Including LSU...but as you can tell by my screen name, I still have some great friends there. :)

CatfishSooner
6/10/2010, 11:02 PM
I just don't see why goin to LSU would be fun (unless you got friends there)...I think I may just have bad memories of their fans from the Sugar Bowl still...

delhalew
6/10/2010, 11:03 PM
:D WTF kind of bull**** is that? Heupal got a text...this is getting out of control.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/10/2010, 11:04 PM
Say it ain't so, Joe.

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 11:05 PM
So many stories it's hard to know what to believe. It's just hard to believe that Heupel would throw that out if it weren't close to being a done deal.

I don't care where we go as long as OU has a chance to earn more money.

Dio
6/10/2010, 11:07 PM
Heupel probably got a text from someone reading the same info as us. I doubt Boren would text Heupel...

Boren is his sister's father in law, so it's not a total stretch

Sooner30
6/10/2010, 11:08 PM
Should we get the SEC chant ready?

PDXsooner
6/10/2010, 11:08 PM
Love to make some great road trips.

I don't think anything can hold a candle to the road trips in the Pac-10...

Phoenix (Party town...BIG TIME party town)
Tucson -- Hmmm...next
SC & UCLA -- Let's face it, LA is a great place...to visit
Bay Area -- Loaded with fun stuff to do
Oregon -- As long as weather cooperates, great area
Seattle - Great city
Pullman -- Ok, you can't win em all

PDXsooner
6/10/2010, 11:09 PM
Boren is his sister's father in law, so it's not a total stretch

Touche'

OU-HSV
6/10/2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah why would Josh think it would be appropriate for him to announce what someone texted him. Could've just been a buddy of his telling him that's what he heard. Who knows.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/10/2010, 11:10 PM
Got to believe he was just rehashing the earlier reported story. Hard to imagine just blurting that out if it were legit.

batonrougesooner
6/10/2010, 11:11 PM

Tucson -- Hmmm...next
Seattle - Great city

Nice places to visit all (except Pullman) but as far as football roadtrips, I'd take the SEC any day.

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 11:11 PM
If this holds true, then it sounds like Texas bailed on us. If that's the case, then I say screw them. We leave them hanging and end our rivalry.

If we truly are going to the SEC we will have our hands full with Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama etc...

boomerborn79
6/10/2010, 11:12 PM
I would love the SEC move. I have been waiting for it over the last few days. PAC 16 doesn't excite me that much. I want to beable to say were the best team in the best conference. I think we would do just fine in the SEC west. JUst would hate to see the RRR go away if they dony go with us. I don't see UT putting us on their OOC schedule since all they schedule is puffs.

batonrougesooner
6/10/2010, 11:13 PM
I can't see RRR going away. If we were in SEC though that would make for a killer schedule every year.

delhalew
6/10/2010, 11:17 PM
If this holds true, then it sounds like Texas bailed on us. If that's the case, then I say screw them. We leave them hanging and end our rivalry.

If we truly are going to the SEC we will have our hands full with Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama etc...

"Like texas bailed on us"?
I've been saying all along we will do what we want...when we want...with whom we want. That does not include following texas around like a puppy. Maybe we all go west. Maybe we Sooners scoot off to the SEC. Either way, it will be on OUR terms.

boomerborn79
6/10/2010, 11:18 PM
I can't see RRR going away. If we were in SEC though that would make for a killer schedule every year.

Schedule uterus and 2 patsies from the new WAC baylor, Kansas.:D

SoonerShark
6/10/2010, 11:30 PM
Who wants to go to two at least of the following each year: Baton Rouge, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Fayetteville and Auburn?

yankee
6/10/2010, 11:32 PM
Who wants to go to two at least of the following each year: Baton Rouge, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Fayetteville and Auburn?

Oxford and Fayetteville rock.

OU-HSV
6/10/2010, 11:38 PM
I'd go to Fayetteville...they've done a lot to that stadium the last several years...it's very nice. I went a few/4 or 5 years back when Tulsa was playing the Hogs there...and I was also there when the gaytors played there, I remember Chris Leak was their new QB for that game. And there are supposedly a lot of fun bars in Fayetteville.

yankee
6/10/2010, 11:41 PM
I'd go to Fayetteville...they've done a lot to that stadium the last several years...it's very nice. I went a few/4 or 5 years back when Tulsa was playing the Hogs there...and I was also there when the gaytors played there, I remember Chris Leak was their new QB for that game. And there are supposedly a lot of fun bars in Fayetteville.

it's about as good of a college town as you're going to find.

Oxford? well...just google ole miss women. :D
and they have the grove, which puts about any tailgating section in the nation to shame.

SunnySooner
6/11/2010, 06:29 AM
From a love of CFB standpoint, I'd say the SEC over the Pac whatever. Having lived in both parts of the country, the South is just way more into CFB, better fans, just makes it all more fun. I had so much fun wearing OU gear that month before the '08 MNC, everyone from my dentist to the checkout lady wanted to talk about it, even if they were 'Noles or Dawgs or whatever. NW peeps just don't seem to GAS. And a lot of them only care about pro sports.

From a scoreboard standpoint, however, we'd prolly be better off with the treehuggers. Grrrr, I'm so conflicted, I wish they'd get all this decided already, I gotta study up on new teams to hate!!;)

NormanPride
6/11/2010, 06:55 AM
Heupel has since clarified that he did not say this was a done deal, just one of the places we could go. No news here.

SoonerJack
6/11/2010, 07:11 AM
From a love of CFB standpoint, I'd say the SEC over the Pac whatever. Having lived in both parts of the country, the South is just way more into CFB, better fans, just makes it all more fun. I had so much fun wearing OU gear that month before the '08 MNC, everyone from my dentist to the checkout lady wanted to talk about it, even if they were 'Noles or Dawgs or whatever. NW peeps just don't seem to GAS. And a lot of them only care about pro sports.

From a scoreboard standpoint, however, we'd prolly be better off with the treehuggers. Grrrr, I'm so conflicted, I wish they'd get all this decided already, I gotta study up on new teams to hate!!;)

^ This

NOVSooner
6/11/2010, 07:33 AM

Me! but then again i live in mississippi so i'm biased :D

NOVSooner
6/11/2010, 07:36 AM

Tucson -- Hmmm...next
Seattle - Great city

agree 100% with brsooner....nice places to visit, etc but for a football enviornment, sec hands down....as yankee mentioned, ole miss and the grove, bryant denny stadium, the swamp, etc...it would be a brutal schedule every year (not that we have soft ones now) but that would just be some exciting games to watch!

1890MilesToNorman
6/11/2010, 07:56 AM
Sounds like the SEC is trying to increase conference speed, they just weren't fast enough. :rolleyes:

Jdog
6/11/2010, 08:03 AM

Tucson -- Hmmm...next
Seattle - Great city

With the exceptions of the AZ trips, There will be one away game per team every 8 years. ---- We'll play each team, every 4 years but just once away every 8.
The way I understand it there will be no championship game and we'll get a trip to the Fiesta if we win our Division.
Happy Happy - Joy Joy.

stoopified
6/11/2010, 08:04 AM
I hope this AIN'T TRUE,I never want to be in a conference with Lester again.

IronHorseSooner
6/11/2010, 08:05 AM
If we go, it would likely be with another team near us (KU, Mizzou, A&M), and we would, of course, create a new-look SEC West. It would have an interesting impact on scheduling. As many know, the SEC has an interesting scheduling model where each team has a yearly rival game with a team in the other division, and then they rotate the other teams. Most likely, in this scenario, Auburn would move to the SEC East; whereas, they have traditional rivalries with UGA and FLA. They could still keep the Iron Bowl, but as a cross-divisional game. We would likely have a nine game conference schedule consisting with six divisional games, one cross-divisional rivalry game, and a two-team rotation amongst the other six teams in the East. What would be interesting is who OUr cross-divisional rival would be. I know that Coach Stoops would love for it to be South Carolina, so he could play his mentor every year.

colleyvillesooner
6/11/2010, 08:14 AM
Per SoonerScoop Twitter He said it, but onstage with an MC He was has joking around.

Video from Shreveport. Heupel may have said he got a text, but it was with the MC on a stage for the crowd, in jest. http://tiny.cc/5vc3m (via @SoonerScoop)]

NOVSooner
6/11/2010, 08:20 AM
I hope this AIN'T TRUE,I never want to be in a conference with Lester again.

after this season, if it's like the last 2, you won't have to worry about lester being in the sec....

KantoSooner
6/11/2010, 08:48 AM
The idea that Heupel, an ultimate team player, would break ranks to be the first to leak this information is ridiculous on its face.
There will be an official announcement if we are moving. And then we'll know.

soonervegas
6/11/2010, 09:05 AM
So let's recap:

Texas wants to go Big 10, but has to bring at least one of his little brothers along which makes the Big 10 nauseous (read Texas Tech)
A&M wants to break away completely from UT unless it is to the Big 10
OU would prefer to go with Texas, the Big 10 doesn't want us, but the Pac 10does.
OU or UT doesn't appear to be thrilled about the Pac-10 and is serioulsy flirting with other conferences SEC/Big 10 right now.
A&M would love for them and OU to go to the SEC to undercut UT plans
OU has a little brother it has to look out for too complicating any move to the SEC, unless Texas comes along with the other 3 to make it worth it for the SEC

It's like a soap opera.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 10:12 AM
TX amd A&M met yesterday to get on the same page and it did not happen -- rumor out of College Station has them wanting to go to the SEC and OU needs someone with them to make it an even number.

Could it be A&M and OU to SEC and TX to Big 10 where their President wants them to go?

BTW, Governor Perry said he is staying out of the whole deal and refused to hold a meeting of the four Big 12 schools -- smart man not to get involved in an election year.

soonerbub
6/11/2010, 11:14 AM
No I hope not...who in their right mind would want to go to baton rouge at least not in a nice car 'cause it won't be that way when you leave--think Stillwater x 100

Leroy Lizard
6/11/2010, 11:17 AM
I would love the SEC move. I have been waiting for it over the last few days. PAC 16 doesn't excite me that much. I want to beable to say were the best team in the best conference.

Screw that. I want to to say that I got my degrees from a Pac-16 school.

Let's not be shortsighted. The Pac-10 has Stanford, Cal, Washington, UCLA, Arizona... all top academic schools. Even the weakest schools (Wazzu, ASU) are decent in academics.

What do we have in the SEC? Florida is pretty good. Vanderbilt. That's about it.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 11:32 AM
So let's recap:

Texas wants to go Big 10, but has to bring at least one of his little brothers along which makes the Big 10 nauseous (read Texas Tech)
A&M wants to break away completely from UT unless it is to the Big 10
OU would prefer to go with Texas, the Big 10 doesn't want us, but the Pac 10does.
OU or UT doesn't appear to be thrilled about the Pac-10 and is serioulsy flirting with other conferences SEC/Big 10 right now.
A&M would love for them and OU to go to the SEC to undercut UT plans
OU has a little brother it has to look out for too complicating any move to the SEC, unless Texas comes along with the other 3 to make it worth it for the SEC

It's like a soap opera.

Basically, that's it.

I think it would be in the best interest of both OU & Texas to go to the PAC-10. It would allow them to bring their rivals. Plus, they could recruit in California and hammer SC while they are down.

If OU goes to the SEC it will be a much tougher road. If Texas goes to the Big 10 they will have to convince recruits to play in Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio. I don't know about you, but I'm getting cold just thinking of that. :(

Lastly, if OU goes to the SEC they will have 0 interest in scheduling a yearly match with Texas. It would just be too tough to play in the SEC and throw in Texas. Folks, if this goes down, it could be the loss of the Red River Rivalry. I pray OU & Texas wise up and head to the PAC-10 together.

the_ouskull
6/11/2010, 11:32 AM
I mean, everybody knows Huepel is denying this, right?

the_ouskull

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 11:37 AM
I mean, everybody knows Huepel is denying this, right?

the_ouskull

I heard that, but many are saying he indeed said it. He may be backpedaling, because he was speaking on something he had no authority to be speaking on.

To be honest, I don't know who or what to believe. This has gotten out of control. I know OU wants to hold their cards close to their vest, but it has caused mass speculation.

I hope we hear something definitive within the next few days.

the_ouskull
6/11/2010, 12:43 PM
I'm taking the, "I'm going to be an OU fan no matter what, so I'm not going to bother worrying about it" approach. I mean, if we wind up in a different conference than Nebraska, or OSU, or Tejas... I won't like it, but that's the way it works. We'll still play Tejas, and we'll probably still play Nebraska, too. I could give or take OSU. That game usually means a lot more to them... but we're O freakin' U. We'll be fine.

the_ouskull

Bccajun
6/11/2010, 12:48 PM
I would love the SEC move if they must leave the Big 12. I would get to see a few away games down here

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:49 PM
I'm taking the, "I'm going to be an OU fan no matter what, so I'm not going to bother worrying about it" approach. I mean, if we wind up in a different conference than Nebraska, or OSU, or Tejas... I won't like it, but that's the way it works. We'll still play Tejas, and we'll probably still play Nebraska, too. I could give or take OSU. That game usually means a lot more to them... but we're O freakin' U. We'll be fine.

the_ouskull

You have that right! The stories from different cities are hilarious but my favorite is Okie State sending Texas a message when the 'dust settles' they want to be with Texas.

BTW, this is Kev's Mom speaking!

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 01:02 PM

the_ouskull

Agree 100%. We don't control any of this, so no reason getting upset over whatever ends up happening.

I'm with you, OSU isn't even a true rivalry anymore in my eyes. They actually have to win once in awhile to make OU fans care. According to wikipedia OU vs OSU record stand at 80-15-7. That's not a rivalry, that's just domination.

We will be fine no matter where we land.

Soonermagik
6/11/2010, 01:10 PM
You have that right! The stories from different cities are hilarious but my favorite is Okie State sending Texas a message when the 'dust settles' they want to be with Texas.

BTW, this is Kev's Mom speaking!

How is ole Kev?

Soonerntxs
6/11/2010, 01:20 PM
I love the last few comments, we are O and alot of U! Our academics may not be that of YALE , STANFORD or UCLA but having an entire family graduate from OU Pharmacy School three generations deep and now becoming a OU student myself @ 40; I am ok with where we stand; and as far as conference, who cares? We bring one of the best programs to any table and will fit in as a true POWER HOUSE! BOOMER SOONER!