PDA

View Full Version : Yet another scenario

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

jonclarkx
6/10/2010, 03:14 PM
I read that as well - I don't know how valid those sources are...seems kinda flakey...

rawlingsHOH
Sounds more like it.

ndpruitt03
OU and Texas are going to the same place. Don't see this happening because Texas would have to go 1000 miles for every game they play on the road which would be half their conference games.

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 03:18 PM
Can you imagine what Tom Osborne is thinking right now? I bet he's ready to rip someone's head off.

Widescreen
6/10/2010, 03:19 PM
I just can't imagine UT and aTm heading that far north for every away game.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 03:33 PM
Here's the road trips for Texas in that conference

Lincoln Nebraska 800+ miles
Columbus Ohio 1000+ miles
Iowa City 1000+ miles
Minneapolis, Minn 1000+ miles
Madison 1100+ miles
Ann Arbor, Michigan 1300+ miles
East Lansing 1500+ miles
Happy Valley 1700 miles

Do they even go 1000 miles in a Big 12 conference season? Maybe once every few years when Nebraska or Iowa State is a conference one a game. But I bet some years Texas travels right around 1000 miles a season. Texas wouldn't go with that much travel in a thousand years. And if they did it would mean the end of the OU/Texas rivarly in Dallas because they would need all the extra home game money they could get to make that travel.

KantoSooner
6/10/2010, 03:43 PM
airplanes go fast, and far.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 03:47 PM
Okay but they cost money to go farther. Texas isn't going anywhere without OU and A&M

tfoolry
6/10/2010, 04:07 PM
ESPN Radio just projected:

Texas and Texas A & M - Big 10
OU - SEC
OSU - Pac 10

crawfish
6/10/2010, 04:08 PM
Why would the Pac-10 want OSU without OU?

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 04:11 PM

they offered them all, perhaps mistakenly asuming they would all join together.

SteelCitySooner
6/10/2010, 04:13 PM
SEC? Srsly??

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 04:14 PM
I think this is a 'made up' story as a hoax and ESPN is reporting it without verifying. Wouldn't be the first time.

swardboy
6/10/2010, 04:16 PM
And yet again Mizzou is left in the wilderness....bwahahahahahahaha.

How sweet would it be to go into Texas recruiting with the offer of SEC competition....vs. *'s offer of rustbelt trips??!!!!!!

instigator
6/10/2010, 04:17 PM
Start the chant.

S-E C! S-E C! S-E C! S-E C!

;)

007sooner
6/10/2010, 04:24 PM
Start the chant.

S-E C! S-E C! S-E C! S-E C!

;)

No way in hell. Even if we have to go over to some other conference I'm not going to buy into the **** those fans pull rooting for the conference more than the team.

OUinFLA
6/10/2010, 04:30 PM
If we go to the SEC, will we be faster?

Ike
6/10/2010, 04:32 PM

T. Boone?

Sooner Among The Pack
6/10/2010, 04:35 PM
I can't imagine the Pac-11 offering invitations unless they got all five Big XII south teams.

I think the Pac-11 has been told by UT and A&M they are considering the Big 10 offers. That was what this "meeting" between UT and A&M was about today. Meanwhile, Castiglone already verified that the SEC had called. If the "Pac-16" base case (whcih was a done deal 24 hrs ago, right?) doesn't happen, the SEC is OU's contigency plan. I just hope if all this goes down, OU isn't left in the fallout from the Big XII exodus for too long.

cheezyq

This made me laugh. :D

Soonermagik

Yes, but only in college. Once we hit the NFL combine our times will get much slower. ;) :D

Ruf/Nek7
6/10/2010, 04:36 PM
OU and Texas are going to the same place.

I agree! Too big of a money maker to lose. Besides they prolly already have a deal worked out with Jerry Jones to bring the Red Rivalry Game to the new Cowboy's Stadium.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061110dnospotulsaworld.8d96730f.html

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 04:41 PM
OU & OSU are tied at the hip
UT and A&M are tied at the hip

I think the 4 schools understand it's best to move in a block.

but then, I could be making this up, like 1/2 of what's being reported

goingoneight
6/10/2010, 04:44 PM
airplanes go fast, and far.

Tell that to the majority of fans who drive to football games.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 04:45 PM
No way in hell. Even if we have to go over to some other conference I'm not going to buy into the **** those fans pull rooting for the conference more than the team.

Right on!

We hold up 8 fingers. For our soon to be 8 titles. And as a shout out to our old homies in the Big 8!

cheezyq
6/10/2010, 04:46 PM
I can't imagine the Pac-11 offering invitations unless they got all five Big XII south teams.

I think the Pac-11 has been told by UT and A&M they are considering the Big 10 offers. That was what this "meeting" between UT and A&M was about today. Meanwhile, Castiglone already verified that the SEC had called. If the "Pac-16" base case (whcih was a done deal 24 hrs ago, right?) doesn't happen, the SEC is OU's contigency plan. I just hope if all this goes down, OU isn't left in the fallout from the Big XII exodus for too long.

In all this "realignment" talk, everything has centered around football and the money it brings in, particularly for TV revenue. Given that, there's no way OU - the #1 historical program in the NCAA - gets left out. If OSU has already accepted a bid to the Pac-10, that means that OU was most certainly offered as well. There is literally no way the Pac-10 wanted OSU over OU.

OSU probably accepted simply to try and create the perception that they aren't tied to OU and its success. OSU is just peeing their pants trying to be the first to follow the "cool" crowd, that's all.

The Pac-10 might have individually offered to all the Big 12 South schools (sans Baylor) knowing that there are other teams available to them if they don't get all five. Schools like Boise State and Utah have solid programs. Really the Pac-10 is just keeping their options open, and they stand to benefit no matter what.

IronHorseSooner
6/10/2010, 08:01 PM
Most folks down here in FLA believe that wile getting us in the SEC would make the conference strong, it would hurt competitive balance. One thing is for sure, and that is that we will NOT be left just standing idly by while other teams go to the other conferences. CU's early move to the PAC-11 should shock no one who follows this sport. They have wanted to go there for 20 years (at least). NU going to the Big 10/11/12 is somewhat of a shock, but not THAT shocking. Without OUr annual rivalry, what else could tie them this conference?

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 08:10 PM
The rumor in College Station and Austin is that A&M wants to join the SEC but Texas wants to join the PAC 10. A&M would not be a good fit in the Big 10 IMHO.

IronHorseSooner
6/10/2010, 08:33 PM
Actually, A&M and OU to the SEC would be a good scenario for all involved. First, the SEC could still have some competitive balance because, instead of add two powerhouses (us and *), they would be adding one, while A&M does bring name recognition. For A&M, they would be leaving one rivalry to resume another with LSU. LSU, in turn, would have a more natural rival than anybody else they have in the conference. For Arkansas, they would finally have the same potential rivalry with us, or at least the SEC would package it that way. For us, we would be in the most recognized conference in the sport, and if we won, would virtually guarantee us a shot at the crystal ball every year, and probably have an annual game with 'Bama. Also, because A&M would still be in the conference, we would still keep OUr foothold in Texas recruiting. Furthermore, much like a potential move to the Pac-11 increase the access to California, a move to the SEC would increase access to Florida. I see us in a win-win scenario, whether we end up in the PAC-11 or the SEC.

delhalew
6/10/2010, 08:41 PM
I agree! Too big of a money maker to lose. Besides they prolly already have a deal worked out with Jerry Jones to bring the Red Rivalry Game to the new Cowboy's Stadium.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061110dnospotulsaworld.8d96730f.html

I guess I should make a tshirt that says...the RED RIVER RIVALRY will continue no matter what conference OU/TEXAS are in. The game means to much to Dallas as it does to both schools.
AND....don't you dare try to drag our game to your godforsaken Jerryworld.
BTW Dallas just paid to expand the Cotton Bowl, so...another reasons to back up both of my comments.

bluedogok
6/10/2010, 08:44 PM
Automagically.....

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 09:13 PM
UT and A&M according to the Austin paper has a problem with their State Legislature who wants the Big 12 conference to remain. By the looks of it now UT and OU are fighting to keep the Big 12 and make it better. Pac 10 announced they could stop at PAC 11 which makes no sense.

In the Tulsa World Joe C said the SEC is interested in OU and TX papers reporting the same about A&M and UT.

Something is going on -- they say goodbye to NE and CO and now reading the Austin paper it talks about how Dodd and OU are working to keep the Big 12 alive. Air Force Academy was mentioned as a replacement for CO and UT for NE in one of the articles I read.

Throw a dart and you might have the answer.

IronHorseSooner
6/10/2010, 09:27 PM
What would happen, then, if OSU goes to the PAC-11? Who would be their replacement? TCU, I guess? Lately, Utah has had more success than NU, and USAFA has been better than CU. Again, not historically, but here recently they have been. TCU for OSU, at least in football, wouldn't be a bad move.

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 09:36 PM
According to the Tulsa World, OSU has had no contact from the Pac-10 Holder is saying.

This adds to the Austin paper reporting that TX and OU are trying to save the Big 12. AF Academy has a large following -- was just there after visiting my daughter in Denver. We would still get the Denver market along with Colorado Springs which has grown a lot since I was at the Academy the last time plus we would add Salt Lake City. Those two schools would bring in viewers around the Country especially the Academy. Might not be a bad addition.

Frankly the reports are all over the place. If reports are right out of Austin, they are trying to convince A&M to stay and not jump. Joe C and Dodds are worried about lack of votes in their favor in a new conference which they are probably right. Both are saying they have too much invested in the Big 12!

I am wondering if USC with the NCAA coming down on them vetoed OU and TX joining the Pac 10. Colorado is pretty louzy in football and most other sports. Maybe SC doesn't want OU/TX recruiting SoCal while they are on probation and why the Pac 10 AD is now saying they are only adding one school right now.

There definitely is something going on right now as the Austin paper is reporting that the TX legislature could rule against TX and A&M splitting up when they return.