PDA

View Full Version : Slap on the wrist

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 02:27 PM
Over the past several years a lot of people said over and over to not get your expectations up because SC would get only a slap on the wrist.

I was afraid that they would get off easy, but I gotta say they got way more than I expected. I'm pretty happy they got hammered so hard.

Two year bowl ban is tough, but they can get over that.

Losing 10 scholarships a season for 3 years starting with the next recruiting class is HUGE! It's going to kill the quality of their team for the next 4-9 years. It will be about 8-9 years before the last probation class recruited are seniors. It will be 10 years before they have a full class of seniors.

Bite me, SC!!! :P

Widescreen
6/10/2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, this penalty is WAY harsher than I ever thought it would be. Interestingly, since we're likely going to be conference-mates with them, I'm kind of ambivalent about this.

Dio
6/10/2010, 02:31 PM
Interestingly, since we're likely going to be conference-mates with them, I'm kind of looking forward to the prison rape we're going to give them.

Fixed

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, this penalty is WAY harsher than I ever thought it would be. Interestingly, since we're likely going to be conference-mates with them, I'm kind of ambivalent about this.

Would you be ambivalent if Texas got hammered for the same thing?

I think it's bigger since we may be in the same conference! They have 10 fewer recruits for the next 3 years. Some of those guys will want to go to another NC caliber team.......like OU.

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 02:33 PM
Fixed

I normally hate it when people FIFY........but that was funny!

Widescreen
6/10/2010, 02:33 PM
Would you be ambivalent if Texas got hammered for the same thing?
No, I'd laugh.

KantoSooner
6/10/2010, 02:50 PM
Any word on whether any upper class transfers would be allowed to move without sitting out? I am thinking of one Seantel who would look very good on our o line....

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 02:55 PM
Any word on whether any upper class transfers would be allowed to move without sitting out? I am thinking of one Seantel who would look very good on our o line....

I'm thinking the same thing, but I haven't heard anything yet. I don't know if there is an appeals process for players that extends outside of the school. USC isn't going to want to let go of Henderson, but I'm guessing he could petition the NCAA and say that he signed his LOI after being lied to by Kiffen and his staff.

Salt City Sooner
6/10/2010, 02:56 PM
The NCAA didn't really have a choice, IMO. If they had let SC off light, they would've been the poster boys on how to stonewall the NCAA & get away with it. They (NCAA) had to show that they still had a few teeth left.

EDIT: We didn't even get a visit out of Henderson. I wouldn't be holding my breath there.

yermom
6/10/2010, 02:56 PM
so where is Kiffin going now?

and 10 scholarships, wow. wasn't expecting that.

stoopified
6/10/2010, 02:58 PM
Wrist slapped? Naw,I think the Trojan Horse just got B!TCH slapped.

HBick
6/10/2010, 03:05 PM
Think about all those recruiting classes, then think about this.

I feel bad for a lot of those kids, George Uko, Xavier Grimble, or Kyle Prater just to name a few, shame they had to sign that LOI, but like Seantrel Henderson, I don't feel bad, he waited two months and then signed.

But I think no one saw this coming, the slap on the wrist was what we all thought. This is monumental and must not be overlooked.

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 03:15 PM
The NCAA didn't really have a choice, IMO. If they had let SC off light, they would've been the poster boys on how to stonewall the NCAA & get away with it. They (NCAA) had to show that they still had a few teeth left.

I don't disagree, but it is the NCAA we're talking about. You never really know when they are going to hand out true justice..........just ask Mike Balogun.

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 03:17 PM
Think about all those recruiting classes, then think about this.

I feel bad for a lot of those kids, George Uko, Xavier Grimble, or Kyle Prater just to name a few, shame they had to sign that LOI, but like Seantrel Henderson, I don't feel bad, he waited two months and then signed.

But I think no one saw this coming, the slap on the wrist was what we all thought. This is monumental and must not be overlooked.

I think Henderson and his family saw it coming, but Kiffen lied to him and convinced him nothing was going to happen to the football team.

What was Henderson supposed to do, wait until June 11th to sign a letter of intent? The NCAA owes this kid for dragging their feet.

BoulderSooner79
6/10/2010, 04:54 PM
Is SC going to appeal? Maybe they get the penalty reduced. The penalties are stiffer than I expected, but I wouldn't shed a tear for SC. I recall an early '70s sooner team on 2 years bowl/TV ban along with some schollies (don't know how many). They went 32-1-1 during those 3 years finishing with 2 AP titles in '74-'75. They did "rebuild" in '76 settling for a big 8 co-title with CU and OSU (with Lott, Sims, Overstreet, King in the backfield) which launched them to elite status starting in '77. I know times have changed and there are less schollies now, but I think Kiffin's ability to keep pumping players into the NFL will be the big factor on how SC weathers the probation period.

goingoneight
6/10/2010, 05:00 PM
where was it officially reported only 10 schollies? I mean, that's a tough hit to absorb, but the original report of over 20 schollies is damn near a death sentence recruiting against Neuheisel, Stoops, Brown, and Kelly.

Salt City Sooner
6/10/2010, 05:31 PM
It's 10 'ships per year, over the next 3 years.

Sooner-N-KS
6/10/2010, 07:43 PM
Is SC going to appeal? Maybe they get the penalty reduced. The penalties are stiffer than I expected, but I wouldn't shed a tear for SC. I recall an early '70s sooner team on 2 years bowl/TV ban along with some schollies (don't know how many). They went 32-1-1 during those 3 years finishing with 2 AP titles in '74-'75. They did "rebuild" in '76 settling for a big 8 co-title with CU and OSU (with Lott, Sims, Overstreet, King in the backfield) which launched them to elite status starting in '77. I know times have changed and there are less schollies now, but I think Kiffin's ability to keep pumping players into the NFL will be the big factor on how SC weathers the probation period.

I would be surprised if they didn't appeal, and there's no telling what will happen.

OU appealed the vacated wins of 2005, and OU won. OU appealed the NCAA ruling on Mike Balogun and lost.

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/10/2010, 08:01 PM
OU appealed the vacated wins of 2005, and OU won.

Yeah, but we acted swiftly with Bomar and Quinn, booted them off the team immediately, and cooperated fully. USC stonewalled for four years, repeatedly tried to sweep things under the rug, and flipped the bird one-too-many times at the NCAA.

THAT'S your difference.

IronHorseSooner
6/10/2010, 08:20 PM
Bruce Feldman and Joe Schad have both been on ESPN stating that they would be very surprised if the NCAA reduced these sanctions. Feldman, who has covered many of these high-profile cases, was quite grim when explaining that their appeal would likely not be overturned. What was funny is that ESPN's announcers were acting, like many of us predicted, like their world would be over if SUC fell from grace.

Right now, with this hitting SUC, and with Oregon's QB controversy, the PAC-11 NEEDS * and us. For the next few years, there will be a power vacuum in the conference, and we two could fill that very easily. We and * could be the biggest winners with all of today's activities.

Also, even after the big impending move by *, us, A&M, Tech (as OSU looks to move tomorrow), don't expect for this to be the end of all of the moves. The Big 10/11/12 will continue to lobby ND, and if they do, they won't want to stop at just 13 teams. Hence, teams like Mizzou, KU, and KSTATE will have renewed life in all of this. As well, the next conference to be raided will be the Big East. As I have stated before, I wouldn't shock me to see the four northernmost teams (SU, Pitt, UCONN, and Rutgers) to go to the ACC. This would work for them in both football and basketball. The four southernmost teams (WVU, Cincy, Louisville, and USF) could go to the SEC, as they add either rabid fanbases (WVU), some established markets (USF & Cincy), or another good basketball school (Louisville).

Finally, maybe not this year, but, in the near future, look for the old WAC to reemerge, and they would likely drop USU and NMSU, to create their own 16-team conference. That would leave 5 super conferences, and, I think closer to a playoff.