PDA

View Full Version : Joe C comments on realignment

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/10/2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry if it's not deserving of it's own thread but,

It's being reported (via twitter) that Joe C confirmend to the Tulsa World late this morning that SEC has shown interest in the Sooners but that OU will follow Texas.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/10/2010, 01:03 PM
MODS: Please delete, found another thread to post this in. TIA

My Opinion Matters
6/10/2010, 01:04 PM
OU ain't following Texas anywhere. OU/Texas is packaged deal. The powers that be at each institution are smart enough to realize that keeping these two together in a conference, any conference, is mutually beneficial.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/10/2010, 01:06 PM
Totally agree, just posting what I read as being reported. Personally, I'd like for us to say screw em all and go SEC or independent at this point.

Leroy Lizard
6/10/2010, 01:10 PM
If we go to the SEC, it would be based solely on football. The SEC has little else to offer. Frankly, I like the academic angle. The Pac-10 would enhance OU's academic reputation; the SEC would not.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2010, 01:23 PM
OU ain't following Texas anywhere. OU/Texas is packaged deal. The powers that be at each institution are smart enough to realize that keeping these two together in a conference, any conference, is mutually beneficial.

I hate the Longwhorn more than anyone on this board. Yes the whorns realize they are better with us involved, but sorry...even I have to admit they are driving the bus on this deal.

Jello Biafra
6/10/2010, 01:30 PM
I hate the Longwhorn more than anyone on this board.

i beg to differ.

olevetonahill
6/10/2010, 01:43 PM
Wheres GDC when we need him ?:D

oudavid1
6/10/2010, 02:43 PM
I hate the Longwhorn more than anyone on this board. Yes the whorns realize they are better with us involved, but sorry...even I have to admit they are driving the bus on this deal.

I hate Texas! but i want us together like no other

NatureBoy
6/10/2010, 02:47 PM
Joe C has had his head firlmy planted up the arse of UT for years. Of course he will follow where they go.

goingoneight
6/10/2010, 04:41 PM
Wow... insulting the reason we're even relevant in the 2000s now?

RedstickSooner
6/10/2010, 04:54 PM
If we go to the SEC, it would be based solely on football. The SEC has little else to offer. Frankly, I like the academic angle. The Pac-10 would enhance OU's academic reputation; the SEC would not.

Does it make me a bad person because, unless someone like you reminds me, I have a tendency to forget that there's anything *other* than football at the big-time schools?

EnragedOUfan
6/10/2010, 05:06 PM
Castiglione and Boren need to get their heads out of their aces and wake the heck up....... If A&M goes to the SEC, so does UT, Tech, and Baylor. Texas politicians will make that happen. When that happens, where does that leave OU? To the geographical nightmare/burden region of the Pac 10? OU being in the Pac 10 will be a nightmare on the fans. Does OU really think that Texas will not join the SEC because they want to stick with OU? Heck no. Castig and Boren need to be proactive on this issue. They need to be on a three way call with Oklahoma State to Mike Slive. Tradition is out the window now. Waiting on a Texas move is about the dumbest thing OU could do right now......

OUthunder
6/10/2010, 05:09 PM
Screw UT, let's go the opposite of where they go.

S008NER
6/10/2010, 05:10 PM
Well apparently ut -a&m is not a packaged deal. According to a aggie sports writer, the latest from the meeting between ut - a&m officials today is that a&m is not in a hurry and is considering all options including the sec, to which ut has no interest. Also, powerful aggies are lobbying to part ways with ut and join the sec.

I personally think that we do not need to follow texas either.

GottaHavePride
6/10/2010, 05:13 PM
Texas places a lot of pride on their academic reputation. I seriously doubt they'll go to a party-school conference like the SEC.

freshchris05
6/10/2010, 05:16 PM
5 bucks says that even if we do part ways with texas, every October we'll still be in dallas eating corndogs bright and early...

Ruf/Nek7
6/10/2010, 05:18 PM
they say "follow texass" only because they have the big t.v. market. OU doesnt follow anyone!

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 05:23 PM
Well apparently ut -a&m is not a packaged deal. According to a aggie sports writer, the latest from the meeting between ut - a&m officials today is that a&m is not in a hurry and is considering all options including the sec, to which ut has no interest. Also, powerful aggies are lobbying to part ways with ut and join the sec.

I personally think that we do not need to follow texas either.

I read UT and A&M are a package deal due to the PUF that endows the 2 schools.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2010, 05:35 PM
Castiglione and Boren need to get their heads out of their aces and wake the heck up....... If A&M goes to the SEC, so does UT, Tech, and Baylor. Texas politicians will make that happen. When that happens, where does that leave OU? To the geographical nightmare/burden region of the Pac 10? OU being in the Pac 10 will be a nightmare on the fans. Does OU really think that Texas will not join the SEC because they want to stick with OU? Heck no. Castig and Boren need to be proactive on this issue. They need to be on a three way call with Oklahoma State to Mike Slive. Tradition is out the window now. Waiting on a Texas move is about the dumbest thing OU could do right now......

How long have you followed college football?. And how long have you lived in Texas?. Trust me Texas A&M is little brother. The Whorns dont follow Aggs anywhere.

If Texas doesnt join the SEC it has nothing to do with A&M or OU

Have you watched the Sooners' program over the past 10 years? Do you REALLY believe Boren and Joe C are just sitting around playing XBOX360 waiting on a call from DeLoss Dodds? NO WAY. They arent perfect, but they are as as savvy as it gets. There aren't many Pres/AD duos Id rather have navigating my school through this situation. They arent being reactive they are being prudent.

...and no matter what we will end up in a top notch conference...with an extra 10Mill in University pockets...set to win said conference.

That is all

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2010, 05:37 PM
i beg to differ.

notice you live in Yukon
move to Texas, mix in a family member that went to UT, and have your office littered with burnt orange and whorn confetti every October

...then come talk to me a bout whorn hate ;-)

StoopTroup
6/10/2010, 05:42 PM
Just the idea of someone bringing up academics in regards to a Conference re-alignment if proof of just how out of touch from reality folks can get.

It's some pretty funny message board bait though.

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 06:00 PM
I haven't read a lot of other threads today, but if JC was smart, he'd start finding his own way (maybe he is, I don't know??). ut will sell their mother up the river in a heartbeat to get what they want.:rolleyes:

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 06:04 PM
I'd be seriously suprised if Joe C and Boren weren't looking at all options. Some of those include UT and some don't include them.

Frankly, I doubt the majority of fans at both schools want the OU/ut series to end, so the best option is to stay in the same conferance, otherwise you have one Monster OOC game, which limits your other OOC schedule.

EnragedOUfan
6/10/2010, 06:04 PM
How long have you followed college football?. And how long have you lived in Texas?. Trust me Texas A&M is little brother. The Whorns dont follow Aggs anywhere.

Have you watched the Sooners' program over the past 10 years? Do you REALLY believe Boren and Joe C are just sitting around playing XBOX360 waiting on a call from DeLoss Dodds? NO WAY. They arent perfect, but they are as as savvy as it gets. There aren't many Pres/AD duos Id rather have navigating my school through this situation. They arent being reactive they are being prudent.

...and no matter what we will end up in a top notch conference...with an extra 10Mill in University pockets...set to win said conference.

That is all

I highly disagree (but not on the conference championship part). A&M would gain a ton of more money with the SEC than what they would if they stayed with UT. UT is better off as an independent in my opinion. The thing is, like I said earlier, Texas politics will have both teams staying together not to mention Texas Tech. Going to the Big 10 or Pac-11 absolutely makes no sense to me, for obvious reasons. UT and A&M would both get more money if they were in the SEC and UT could have their own Longhorn network increasing their income even more...You not being able to foresee this is mind boggling. The state of Texas to the SEC would be the winner out of all this realignment crap.

MichiganSooner
6/10/2010, 07:13 PM
In response to SoonerInSouthlake: I agree with what you are saying about JC and Dr. Boren and their leadership. While all this is going down, President Boren is in Europe; he is not on campus working with Joe C on this issue.

prrriiide
6/10/2010, 07:50 PM
In response to SoonerInSouthlake: I agree with what you are saying about JC and Dr. Boren and their leadership. While all this is going down, President Boren is in Europe; he is not on campus working with Joe C on this issue.

http://www.klauskomenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/blackberry.jpghttp://ceoworld.biz/ceo/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/laptop-sakshat.jpg

I assume Boren has both and ain't skeered to use 'em.

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 07:50 PM
SoonerinSouthlake said it perfectly. Anyone who thinks Pres Boren and Joe C. are just sitting there waiting don't have a clue. They are just a lot quieter about what they are doing and are behind the scenes while TX is out in front.

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 07:52 PM
Been rumored the SEC is doing nothing but looks like they are in the mix big time. This could get very interesting.

delhalew
6/10/2010, 08:02 PM
5 bucks says that even if we do part ways with texas, every October we'll still be in dallas eating corndogs bright and early...

This for crying out loud, some of you are really young or have bad memories. That game ain't going away.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/10/2010, 08:09 PM
Texas places a lot of pride on their academic reputation. I seriously doubt they'll go to a party-school conference like the SEC.

Sorry. What did VY score on his Wonderlic again?

A 6, right?

Jason White's Third Knee
6/10/2010, 08:11 PM
http://www.klauskomenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/blackberry.jpghttp://ceoworld.biz/ceo/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/laptop-sakshat.jpg

I assume Boren has both and ain't skeered to use 'em.

But can Boren read European?

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry. What did VY score on his Wonderlic again?

A 6, right?

LOL!!! Bradford trounced McCoy as well although he wasn't near as bad as VY.

BHB 91
6/10/2010, 08:27 PM

That is all

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier as all the different scenarios were coming out. We have one of the best AD's and presidents in recent history. I am very comfortable with these two guys guiding us to our best destination. If that is the same place as UT, so be it but I bet they don't feel that is mandatory.

Boomer!

prrriiide
6/10/2010, 08:29 PM
But can Boren read European?
http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/facepalm.jpg

sooner59
6/10/2010, 08:33 PM
What would I do without this board? :D

Leroy Lizard
6/10/2010, 08:51 PM

That is all

Because of academics, UT likes the idea of being in the Pac-10 and would have little interest in the SEC. We should follow suit.

The Pac-10 is a better deal for the overall health of the university. If we have to go anywhere, let's go there.

And we can reform the Big-8 as a subdivision. That would be cool.

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry if it's not deserving of it's own thread but,

It's being reported (via twitter) that Joe C confirmend to the Tulsa World late this morning that SEC has shown interest in the Sooners but that OU will follow Texas.

There is a huge difference between 'follow' and 'stick together' which is what Joe C said in the article.

From the Tulsa World article, this is what Joe C said:

While Castiglione also confirmed that the Southeastern Conference has shown interest in the Sooners, OU's position is that it's going to stick with Texas wherever the Longhorns go because of the long history between the two schools.

"I think it would be a horrendous decision for OU and Texas to break up," Castiglione said. "We're going to stick together if it's at all possible."

Castiglione said he expected Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe to release a statement immediately after Nebraska's departure becomes official. Beebe, Castiglione and Texas AD DeLoss Dodds apparently remain unified in their desire to save the Big 12.

But what if the Pac-10 comes calling in the next few days with a very lucrative offer for OU to join what could be college football's first super conference?

"I don't know what would happen at this point. We just have to wait and see," Castiglione said.

One key factor that OU and Texas reportedly are worried about is the power they will lose in a 16-team super conference. Each will be just one of 16 votes instead of 12.

And then there's the natural factor that the current schools in the Pac-10 will remain loyal to each other and will have the numbers to win every vote over the six new members from the Big 12.

"If people thought they had culture problems in the Big 12 (Nebraska AD Tom Osborne felt that way)," said Castiglione, "how are the (Big 12) schools going to feel if they go to the Pac-10? We don't know."

The power Texas stands to lose in an expanded Pac-10 has to be reason enough for the Longhorns to continue to seek ways to make sure the Big 12 doesn't disband.

"We worked really hard (with Nebraska) to try and make this work," a subdued Castiglione said. "But it apparently wasn't enough."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100610_202_B1_OKLAHO7815

landrun
6/10/2010, 09:12 PM
Please let us join the SEC... with our without Texas. PLEASE...

OULenexaman
6/10/2010, 09:40 PM
Please let us join the SEC... with our without Texas. PLEASE... AGREE.....THE LOGISTIC MOVE TO THE PAC-10 IS A DISASTER.....PERIOD. SOME MORE PERIODS........................................... .................................................. .........................:D

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 09:42 PM
I have been reading reports all over the net and if the Austin reports are correct, UT and OU are trying to save the Big 12 -- possible additions AF Academy and Utah to replace NE and CO. Both the Academy and Utah have been better than CO and NE in recent years plus both would bring TV markets as the AF Academy is strong not only in Colorado Springs but also Denver (was just there) and Utah in Salt Lake. Both teams have followings around the Country. Food for thought!

PAC-10 is now saying they might stop at PAC-11. Is it because USC is on probation and not on TV for two years and they don't want OU/TX coming into the league the year they are off probation? BTW, OSU's Holder denies OSU ever having been contacted by the PAC-10.

Jello Biafra
6/11/2010, 10:15 AM
notice you live in Yukon
move to Texas, mix in a family member that went to UT, and have your office littered with burnt orange and whorn confetti every October

...then come talk to me a bout whorn hate ;-)

lol really? i hate em so much i spend nary a dime in the damn state. now whut?

soonerboomer93
6/11/2010, 11:13 AM
Oddly enough, the actual UT grads are the ones I have the least issues with. Their hate for OU is far less then that of the "UT fans 'cause we live in Texas".

noobalicious
6/11/2010, 11:20 AM
possible additions AF Academy and Utah to replace NE and CO.

That would be awful. I'd rather have TCU and maybe Utah (maybe someone else), but that conference would definitely not pull in as much money as we could make by joining a different conference. College football is all about money, and that's why I don't see us staying with a weakened Big 12.

diegosooner
6/11/2010, 11:30 AM
With Nebraska gone, I can't see trying to save it.

Mississippi Sooner
6/11/2010, 11:33 AM
Oddly enough, the actual UT grads are the ones I have the least issues with. Their hate for OU is far less then that of the "UT fans 'cause we live in Texas".

Absofreakinglutely.

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 12:13 PM
Governor Perry is saying he is not getting involved in all of this realignment and reports out of College Station are still that A&M wants to separate from Texas and head to the SEC. They are talking about they need two teams so it looks like OU and A&M may be headed their own way!

Gov Perry is an A&M grad so he will wants best for A&M so keeping politics out of it is the way to go.

More rumors say that OSU doesn't want to go with OU and that our politicians will not stand in the way of the schools going their separate ways which figures because Henry is an OU grad. Believe Boren is totally in control of what happens, but OU has the sense to not be broadcasting their plans.

OU and Texas A&M to the SEC makes sense as far as the fact philosophically we are better fit than with the West Coast teams. We could also count on some votes in SEC like Spurrier and Saban along with others who are tired of FL trying to dictate.

Whatever happens it has turned a dull off season into an interesting season!

OULenexaman
6/11/2010, 12:17 PM
so when do I set my alarm??