PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: Colorado to Pac-10

Mac94
6/10/2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-06-10/colorado-set-announce-move-pac-10

Nothing earth shattering ... just a new source that something long speculated and rumored may be becoming more concrete.

JohnnyMack
6/10/2010, 10:17 AM
Let's just hope the Texas legislature doesn't ****-block the move of the Texas schools at this point. I mean I don't want this merger to happen, but if it has to I'd sure as hell rather have the Denver market than the Waco market when it comes time to negotiate the TV deal.

Mac94
6/10/2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.pac-10.org/genrel/061010aaa.html

Pac-10 Press release on CU to Pac-10

yermom
6/10/2010, 11:27 AM
The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

whoa

Octavian
6/10/2010, 11:29 AM
wow. If that's true, then we're not really joining the Pac-16 in a conventional sense.

If we get a BCS bid for winning our "division," then that division is really a conference. It's more like 3 Big 8 schools and 3 SWC schools are joining a new 8-team conference with the Arizona schools.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 11:30 AM
whoa

Yeah, I just saw that too, and it surprised the hell out of me. I've been skimming most of the articles, so I may have just missed this before, but it's the first I've seen mentioned that there might not be a CCG.

OUmillenium
6/10/2010, 11:36 AM
That doesnt sound too bad. I hate this whole realignment situation. here is what I like best...
1. old Big 8
2. Big XII
3. Whatever is in the works now (this could change but I am a traditional type o guy)

meoveryouxinfinity
6/10/2010, 11:39 AM
whoa.. i like it... i think...

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 11:39 AM
I'm not really liking that myself but I can see why they'd push for it. An automatic extra BCS game would be better than a CCG as far as money goes.

OU Adonis
6/10/2010, 12:02 PM
I'm not really liking that myself but I can see why they'd push for it. An automatic extra BCS game would be better than a CCG as far as money goes.

Its basically like being in a TV deal with the PAC10... because we really wont' be playing them all that much and there is no conference championship game.

I don't like it.

OUstud
6/10/2010, 12:03 PM
Alright! I think CCGs are stupid. They're glorified exhibitions, and all they do is have the potential to screw up a conference's spot in the national championship game (see: KSU '98, Texas '01 [went to NU anyway], Mizzou '07; last year if Colt puts a little more umph on his last throw out of bounds). Did Texas really need to beat the **** out of a mediocre (at best) Colorado team in '05 to show they were the best team in the conference? Or OU over CU/Mizzou?

yermom
6/10/2010, 12:04 PM
wow. If that's true, then we're not really joining the Pac-16 in a conventional sense.

If we get a BCS bid for winning our "division," then that division is really a conference. It's more like 3 Big 8 schools and 3 SWC schools are joining a new 8-team conference with the Arizona schools.

yeah, without a conference championship game they are more like sister conferences with so many teams that wouldn't have played each other

Mac94
6/10/2010, 12:08 PM
What article refers to the possibility of no conference championship game? link?

yermom
6/10/2010, 12:17 PM
yours :D

yermom
6/10/2010, 12:19 PM
it looks like they cut that part after the update

Mac94
6/10/2010, 12:21 PM
This is what it says now:

Colorado is now officially the first domino to fall in college football expansion. The Buffs will formally announce today that they are leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-10, according to a source close to the situation.

The Big 12 is also expected to lose Nebraska to the Big Ten, and those two losses will be the beginning of the Big 12's breakup.

Related Links
Ripple effect: Matt Hayes examines scenarios
Hayes: USC findings must be serious
Updates: The latest news on conference moves
Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also expected to announce their plans to leave the Big 12 for the Pac-10 as soon as today.

Even if Nebraska doesn't leave for the Big Ten, Colorado is still committed to the Pac-10. If the Big 12 somehow stays intact –- without a Nebraska defection — CU still would be part of a two-team Pac-10 expansion, possibly including Utah.

The Nebraska situation could be cleared up as early as today.

Wasn't there when I first read it ... but it does look to have changed a time or two sinceI first linked it.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 12:26 PM
What article refers to the possibility of no conference championship game? link?

The ESPN article used to end with this quote that yermom has above:

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

It's not there now, so maybe they're backing off that assertion now.

Widescreen
6/10/2010, 12:29 PM
"The Big 12 Conference has been informed that the University of Colorado has accepted an invitation to join the Pacific-10 Conference. I continue to work through the process that was agreed upon last week by our Board of Directors to address membership issues, and are working tirelessly towards the long-term viability of the Big 12. "

Statement from Beebe. LOL. Maybe he should have been doing that a few years ago instead of now when the conference is falling apart.

yermom
6/10/2010, 01:27 PM
The ESPN article used to end with this quote that yermom has above:

It's not there now, so maybe they're backing off that assertion now.

yeah, you are right. it was this one:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

i had changed computers earlier