PDA

View Full Version : OKLAHOMA V. NEBRASKA rivalry…

The Ghost of Mex
6/10/2010, 09:21 AM
...renewed via musical chairs? Do we secure a non-con with bugeaters every year?

:pop:

Sooner5030
6/10/2010, 09:23 AM
No

They were the first to break out of the B12 and possibly make us swallow Pacific Standard Time games.

F UNL

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 09:23 AM
...renewed via musical chairs? Do we secure a non-con with bugeaters every year?

:pop:

Yes but we do it in the Rose Bowl now. :D

westcoast_sooner
6/10/2010, 09:39 AM
Too bad that that annual rivalry won't exist any longer. They were a great competitor and opponent.

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 10:02 AM
Too bad that that annual rivalry won't exist any longer. They were a great competitor and opponent.

My friend, that happened when we saved ut & the rest of the cheating swc from obscurity, back in '96.

I will greatly miss the Sooner nation, if everything goes as planned.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 10:27 AM
It seems that I'm in the minority on this one, from the posts I've seen in this and other threads. I'd like to see us schedule Nebraska for a standing non-conference matchup, ala Notre Dame-Michigan or USC. People have been talking about the difficulty of the schedule, but I don't think we should be afraid of that. Good football teams win big games, and we expect to be good.

Big Red Ron
6/10/2010, 10:32 AM
They've lived off of our coat tails for far too long. They even stole "Big Red" from us (I know we stole it from some irrelevant Ive league school but who cares).

They can take their corn husks and shove 'em where the sun don't shine!

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:42 AM
DEAD!

soonervegas
6/10/2010, 10:45 AM
I think we should work towards a rotation with them (once every 3-4 years) but there are too many LSU's, ND's, Ohio States to play too limit our 1 non-conference biggie to Nebraska.

Hunyock
6/10/2010, 11:11 AM
The worst part about all of this is missing out on the discussions between these two great fan bases. Hope to see you in Jerryworld this December. I'll bet Jones is more than a little pissed by all this.

SoonerBacker
6/10/2010, 11:14 AM
Since the Huskers are the ones who seem to be sealing the fate of the Big XII, I say screw 'em! They want Big 10 football, let them go there and stay there.

Can't help but wonder, though - Despite claims to the contrary, did the ending of the Big XII Championship game last year contribute to this decision to bolt the conference?

Hunyock
6/10/2010, 11:19 AM
Since the Huskers are the ones who seem to be sealing the fate of the Big XII, I say screw 'em! They want Big 10 football, let them go there and stay there.

Can't help but wonder, though - Despite claims to the contrary, did the ending of the Big XII Championship game last year contribute to this decision to bolt the conference?
I think that the revenue sharing was probably the biggest factor in all of this. There was a reason why the three teams who wouldn't give solidarity to Dan Beebe were all from the north.

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 11:19 AM

Again, if ut is so damn committed to this conference, they should have no problem replacing 2-3 teams in the North. They aren't. Some of you guys need to stop eating up all the shizzit that ut is feeding you.

yermom
6/10/2010, 11:21 AM
Yes but we do it in the Rose Bowl now. :D

that would be effing weird

Leroy Lizard
6/10/2010, 11:29 AM

Not a chance. Far too much at stake to base a decision on a single football game.

OUmillenium
6/10/2010, 11:41 AM

I actually think it was a huge factor. Not sure if it was the proverbial "hair that broke the camesl back" but you know the angry, drunken discussions that went on for 40 days after that Big 12 champ game had influence. Don't give higher ups too much credit. Most of them are competitive good ol boys who got tired of losing out to OU and * every year.

Nebrascared they are

OUthunder
6/10/2010, 12:03 PM
Buh-Bye

SoonerBacker
6/10/2010, 12:41 PM
Not a chance. Far too much at stake to base a decision on a single football game.

I said contribute to the decision. No reference to it being based totally on that game.

Leroy Lizard
6/10/2010, 12:54 PM
I said contribute to the decision. No reference to it being based totally on that game.

Let me rephrase my response: In no way could I see the Big XII Championship Game being a factor whatsoever.

Sooner in Tampa
6/10/2010, 01:05 PM
**** the bugeaters...if they want to play us...it will have to be in a bowl game!

They took their ball and moved on...we should too!

virginiasooner
6/10/2010, 01:22 PM
Screw Nebraska.

Louisiana Husker
6/10/2010, 02:11 PM
Even though that it probably won't happen, I would love to see this become a yearly game again to take place on a Friday in late November.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/10/2010, 02:18 PM
I don't necessarily get the intense venom towards NU. (I get not liking them and their so called "best fans in America" b.s. because of our history together, but set that asisde for a moment.) Basically, the formation of the Big XII killed our rivalry with them. And I believe they were pretty po'd about it at the time. And that was just one of many things that got shoved down their throats by... yes... T*xas.

So basically it just took them awhile to develop the same seething hatred for the shorthorns. And they just happen to now be in a position to do something about it. I'm pretty sure they are making this move with no malice towards OU. They know we're going to be fine however things shake out.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 02:47 PM
I love this history of this rivalry but this rivalry probably died about 20 years when OU started to suck then the Big 12 was formed and we could only play Nebraska once ever 2 years when we did get back to good.

NatureBoy
6/10/2010, 02:50 PM
They took their ball and moved on...we should too!

OU took their ball and ran home when the Big12 was formed, and OU didn't want any part of keeping the NU-OU rivalry a yearly event.

Just another issue OU caved into UT's wishes on...

Veritas
6/10/2010, 03:27 PM
IMO thats one of the best outcomes of this realignment, that each school's PHBs can put their heads together and get that annual game started back up. Every Husker fan that talks about this whole deal, that's one of the first things that gets talked about is maybe being able to play OU again.

stoopified
6/10/2010, 03:35 PM
Buh-ByeExactly

Sooner in Tampa
6/10/2010, 05:21 PM
OU took their ball and ran home when the Big12 was formed, and OU didn't want any part of keeping the NU-OU rivalry a yearly event.

Just another issue OU caved into UT's wishes on...
You sir are an idiot, no wonder you have all red under your name :rolleyes:

PLaw
6/10/2010, 05:59 PM
It seems that I'm in the minority on this one, from the posts I've seen in this and other threads. I'd like to see us schedule Nebraska for a standing non-conference matchup, ala Notre Dame-Michigan or USC. People have been talking about the difficulty of the schedule, but I don't think we should be afraid of that. Good football teams win big games, and we expect to be good.

A la texass pre big xii

NatureBoy
6/10/2010, 06:09 PM

By saying that OU didn't want to keep the rivalry an annual game? You're not denying that, are you?

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 06:41 PM
A la texass pre big xii

Or you could just use the easy example, yes. :D

jkjsooner
6/10/2010, 06:50 PM
this rivalry died in 1989 when nu proclaimed colorado as their rival.

NatureBoy
6/10/2010, 06:52 PM
this rivalry died in 1989 when nu proclaimed colorado as their rival.

CU proclaimed NU as their rival, not the other way around. McCartney selected NU as the program he wanted CU to strive to emulate.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 07:02 PM
CU proclaimed NU as their rival, not the other way around. McCartney selected NU as the program he wanted CU to strive to emulate.

That's the way I remember it too. As I recall, Nebraska fans thought that was pretty laughable.

Louisiana Husker
6/10/2010, 07:37 PM

Well if he is an idiot, than you are a coward.

The Oklahoma vs Nebraska game was the game to look forward to every year.

Why else did OU have no problem in playing the Huskers every year until the Whorns became part of the conference?

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 07:55 PM

I would bet on it! If they think TX was arrogant, wait until they get Ohio State.

Veritas
6/10/2010, 10:01 PM
That's the way I remember it too. As I recall, Nebraska fans thought that was pretty laughable.
You remember right. OU's never stopped being the team Nebraska wants to beat, even through the ups and downs of the last 20 years.

Leroy Lizard
6/10/2010, 10:26 PM

Why else did OU have no problem in playing the Huskers every year until the Whorns became part of the conference?

Because we had to?

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 10:45 PM
Because we had to?

You are talking reality and some prefer fantasy? : )

Been hearing how wonderful Nebraska fans were since we moved to Norman in 1997 and have yet to see it at any of our games. In 2000, the Nebraska fans were as arrogant as they come until we went ahead for good and then they left early -- at least the ones sitting around us.

BigRedTradition
6/10/2010, 11:28 PM
I already missed the big 8. I miss the ou/nu rivalry.

And I wish he Sooners nothing but the best.

Cheers to the good old days. :(

BRT

BigRedTradition
6/10/2010, 11:30 PM
You are talking reality and some prefer fantasy? : )

Been hearing how wonderful Nebraska fans were since we moved to Norman in 1997 and have yet to see it at any of our games. In 2000, the Nebraska fans were as arrogant as they come until we went ahead for good and then they left early -- at least the ones sitting around us.

Sorry you sat by bad Nebraska 'fans'. Best of luck to the Sooners.

delhalew
6/10/2010, 11:35 PM

BRT

Same to you.
Anybody who doesn't miss that game being annual, doesn't remember it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/11/2010, 05:30 AM

:rolleyes:

I guess you forgot how the Big XII shook out...we went to the South and you slimey little bugeaters went to the North...THE NEW CONFERENCE DECIDED!!!!!

If you think for ONE Minute that OU is scared...you are as big of an ******* as I suspect

PLaw
6/11/2010, 06:30 AM

As I recall, there was a 16 year stretch where OU pretty much owned NU and their steriod fed farm boys. Screw conference championships, OU always played NU and Texas every year and saw beating those two as punching the ticket to a shot at the national championship. It's the same today and that formula worked in 2000.

There is only one OU and we say bring it.

BOOMER

JRAM
6/11/2010, 02:02 PM
DOUBLE SCREW NEBRASKA. WHAT A BUNCH OF *********S.

westbrooke
6/11/2010, 02:07 PM

BRT

Right on, man. Maybe we'll just have to turn the Rose Bowl into an annual renewal of the rivalry!

soonersweetie
6/11/2010, 02:18 PM
Question, why does okblitz.com and other websites say "Nebraska to apply to Big 10" ? Weren't they invited? Why do they have to apply?

http://www.okblitz.com/

JPNSKER
6/11/2010, 03:03 PM
Question, why does okblitz.com and other websites say "Nebraska to apply to Big 10" ? Weren't they invited? Why do they have to apply?

http://www.okblitz.com/

1) They have been invited to apply.
2) The board of Regents approved applying to the big ten (today).
3) The big ten votes to accept NU's offer. (today or tomorrow, or as soon as they can get their board together).
4) Official statement by big ten

SoonerMom2
6/11/2010, 03:36 PM
Big 10 doesn't formally invite anyone -- they just offer them a chance to apply. NE thought that TX was arrogant -- wait until they have OSU running everything. I grew up in Ohio and OSU throws their weight around more than any school I know.

Veritas
6/11/2010, 03:48 PM
I'm not happy about this. I hate Texas and their bull****, but I liked the Big 8 + 4. This is a bad move for Nebraska. Five years from now the SEC and Pac 10 will dominate football and the Big 10 will be the ACC.

I like Austin. I love Norman. I like Lawrence. Boulder, well, **** Boulder, and **** Columbia too. I like College Station, Manhattan, hell, even Stoolwater is a nice little town.

I prefer each of them to where we'll be going. :(

cahusker
6/11/2010, 06:30 PM
I don't necessarily get the intense venom towards NU. (I get not liking them and their so called "best fans in America" b.s. because of our history together, but set that asisde for a moment.) Basically, the formation of the Big XII killed our rivalry with them. And I believe they were pretty po'd about it at the time. And that was just one of many things that got shoved down their throats by... yes... T*xas.

So basically it just took them awhile to develop the same seething hatred for the shorthorns. And they just happen to now be in a position to do something about it. I'm pretty sure they are making this move with no malice towards OU. They know we're going to be fine however things shake out.Thank you. That's it exactly!

NatureBoy
6/11/2010, 08:55 PM
As I recall, there was a 16 year stretch where OU pretty much owned NU and their steriod fed farm boys. Screw conference championships, OU always played NU and Texas every year and saw beating those two as punching the ticket to a shot at the national championship. It's the same today and that formula worked in 2000.

There is only one OU and we say bring it.

BOOMER

Yes, you say bring it now. But OU did not back Tom Osborne and NU back in 1995 when NU was lobbying to keep it an annual game.

Sooner in Tampa
6/11/2010, 09:10 PM
Yes, you say bring it now. But OU did not back Tom Osborne and NU back in 1995 when NU was lobbying to keep it an annual game.
JEEBUS, how hard is it to comprehend...the Big XII was North and South...OU is not NORTH

NatureBoy
6/11/2010, 09:16 PM
JEEBUS, how hard is it to comprehend...the Big XII was North and South...OU is not NORTH

Explain this one...

SEC is West and East. Alabama and Tennessee play every year. Alabama is not EAST.

CRAZINESS, I know...

Sooner in Tampa
6/11/2010, 09:23 PM
Explain this one...

SEC is West and East. Alabama and Tennessee play every year. Alabama is not EAST.

CRAZINESS, I know...
Go to Huskerpedia dip****...you are ****in boring me with your crying

NatureBoy
6/11/2010, 09:25 PM
Go to Huskerpedia dip****...you are ****in boring me with your crying

Don't blame me for you being unable to carry anything that resembles an intelligent conversation. What are you, 12?

Sooner in Tampa
6/11/2010, 09:29 PM
Don't blame me for you being unable to carry anything that resembles an intelligent conversation. What are you, 12?
NO dude...I am not 12, but your incessant whining is making my head hurt. Get used to the fact that EVERYBODY hates your punk asses now...your bull**** ruined alot of tradition!!

So...bugger off

NatureBoy
6/11/2010, 09:34 PM
NO dude...I am not 12, but your incessant whining is making my head hurt. Get used to the fact that EVERYBODY hates your punk asses now...your bull**** ruined alot of tradition!!

So...bugger off

Actually, I see quite a few OU fans, on this board, saying the exact opposite of you.

So let me correct you: Sooner in Tampa hates Nebraska.

Big whoop.

Jdog
6/11/2010, 11:34 PM

BRT

Cheers

TheHumanAlphabet
6/12/2010, 06:35 AM
I lost all respect for the bugeaters on this one. They brought down the Big 12 and Osborne is talking like it was everyone else's fault because they talked to other conferences. Well, only the bugeating school pulled the trigger. If they hadn't, probably still be a conference. The bugeaters are dead as far as I am concerned. To hell with history. May they get screwed by tOSU and Meechigan for a long time.

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2010, 09:08 AM
I lost all respect for the bugeaters on this one. They brought down the Big 12 and Osborne is talking like it was everyone else's fault because they talked to other conferences. Well, only the bugeating school pulled the trigger. If they hadn't, probably still be a conference. The bugeaters are dead as far as I am concerned. To hell with history. May they get screwed by tOSU and Meechigan for a long time.

EXACTLY!!!

Sooner in Tampa
6/12/2010, 09:12 AM
Actually, I see quite a few OU fans, on this board, saying the exact opposite of you.

So let me correct you: Sooner in Tampa hates Nebraska.

Big whoop.
You really are as big of a flaming dip**** myopic cornhugging faggot as I suspected.

Read the board you twit...the few OU fans that still had respect for "the best fans" :rolleyes: have LOST it over this!!!!

Ya know why???

Well, only the bugeating school pulled the trigger.

And **** tom osborne for trying to blame everybody else...quit being a ***** and man up...YOU CHOSE THIS PATH!!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
6/12/2010, 10:18 AM
I've come to a conclusion on this question - SCREW NU!

Look Dr Tom, OU and TX aren't the reason you started sucking. We didn't hire that POS Callahan. So take your ball and go to the rust belt 10 since you obviously can't compete here. Unfortunately, you won't have any more clout there with tOSU and MU running things.

I only hope we get one more chance in Jerry World to wax their *** in December.

huskermark07
6/12/2010, 10:34 AM
Just a thought! The Big12 can live on, how hard is it to replace CU and NU?

Just a couple teams from the North.

You could add Colorado State and South Dakota State.

MyT Oklahoma
6/13/2010, 04:30 PM

^^ This. After 39 years of some of the best college football ever, I second this and say screw you Huskers. You will get exactly what you deserve in the Big 10. You may or may not win some conference championships in that league (where the pickings are easier of course) but you will never ever be insiders and you will get rear ended by your new conference opponents on a regular basis. Get used to it because it's a coming. :rolleyes:

cahusker
6/13/2010, 05:07 PM
I really respect OU from Switzer through Stoops, great program, but you guys are unreal. Missouri & CU started this and Texas tried to play Nebraska. They said commit to the Big 12, Nebraska asked them to commit to the Big 12 Network and they said they could not do it. As sick as Osborne was about Texas getting their way with everything, if Texas breaks and goes along with the Big 12 Network we are a big happy family.
Your most hated rival played everybody except Nebraska, who called their bluff. You guys should be ashamed that you jumped on Bevo like it was an 18 year old centerfold.

StoopTroup
6/13/2010, 05:39 PM
Just a thought! The Big12 can live on, how hard is it to replace CU and NU?

Just a couple teams from the North.

You could add Colorado State and South Dakota State.

I know all of you have probably had a good cry about the jump to the Big 10 and realize there isn't anything you can do about it. I guess you haven't found and Big 10 Msg Boards yet huh?

I'm not sure who decides how many Teams a Conference needs these days...but I'm thinking the Big XII is going to let this calm down a bit and Husker Fans better start googling routes East for those road games. You all have some things to figure out in the next few months.

texaspokieokie
6/14/2010, 10:07 AM
i thot that was funny about csu sdsu.

neb had to make a promise to stay in big-12, with no apparent guarantees.
from rest of big-12(now 10)

ouleaf
6/14/2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think the rivalry is dead. Wouldn't mind seeing something like scheduling a home and home in consecutive years and then wait about 3 years before scheduling the next consecutive home and home and so on.

I don't think a standing non-conference game would be something that would work for both programs each and every year.

yermom
6/14/2010, 12:28 PM
it could be made to work. of course, i doubt Stoops and Pellini really want to play each other every year. Bob may already have to do that with his brother