PDA

View Full Version : I can't figure out what Stoops' angle is

SoonerBK
6/10/2010, 07:59 AM
He seems excited to be joining the PAC 10, but to me it doesn't add up. Is it because he is thinking strategically, and realizes that once USC gets thier santions handed sown OU will be able to mop up the conference? Is it becasue he is trying to be a "company man" and support what the university thinks? Is it becasue in the Pac 16 scenario the little brother school would literally be his little brother (arizona)?

My personal feeling is that OU would be a better fit in the SEC than the PAC 10. Our wining traditions seem to fit better in the SEC. Granted it would be a tougher conference year in and year out. The PAC 10 sucks. Thier fans are weaksauce. With the exception of SC, the whole conference plays watered down football.

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 08:12 AM
He will have access to recruit the 2 biggest population states. Any other questions?

Seriously, why wouldn't he be excited? USC is going to be down for a long time with these sanctions. It means more exposure and money for the program. We won't play SC, but every few years anyway when they do come back to prominence.

Why go into a loaded SEC and fight for our lives? Trust me, the gators and tide don't want us down there anymore than we would want to go.

BudSooner
6/10/2010, 08:22 AM
. With the exception of SC, the whole conference plays watered down football.

Oregon State is calling on line 2 for you.:D

OSU and OSU...**** that is alot of orange!:eek: :D

tfoolry
6/10/2010, 08:58 AM
People who grew up in Big 10 country & went to a Big 10 school have respect for Pac-10. Kinda like OU & Neb. - even though you know you're superior, there's some respect involved. That's the sad thing about the conf. realignment is the OU/Neb. game prob. goes away.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 09:09 AM
Bob Stoops and staff like to recruit Texas. 3 Texas schools are going with OU to the new conference. Bob Stoops likes to recruit California. The access to California in the PAC 10 is pretty good. That's really what this comes down to. If OU takes the advice of some fans and goes the opposite way Texas and goes to the SEC. Yeah that really worked out for Arkansas.

BoulderSooner79
6/10/2010, 09:17 AM
It could be Stoops just believes it is inevitable and sees no win in whining about it.

sooner518
6/10/2010, 09:19 AM
It could be Stoops just believes it is inevitable and sees no win in whining about it.

we have a winner

delhalew
6/10/2010, 09:29 AM
Bob Stoops and staff like to recruit Texas. 3 Texas schools are going with OU to the new conference. Bob Stoops likes to recruit California. The access to California in the PAC 10 is pretty good. That's really what this comes down to. If OU takes the advice of some fans and goes the opposite way Texas and goes to the SEC. Yeah that really worked out for Arkansas.

Arkansas didn't continue an annual rivalry game with Texas.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 10:16 AM
Arkansas didn't continue an annual rivalry game with Texas.

True but we won't be in the Texas media week in and week out in an SEC like we will in the PAC 16. That would hurt our recruiting. Oklahoma is better than Arkansas so we wouldn't be that bad. But we would have to change our recruiting to more of Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Stoops would rather have Texas and California where we've been doing well recently.

cheezyq
6/10/2010, 10:40 AM
I think he specifically stated that recruiting California was an interest of his. Here are some reasons I imagine might come into play:

1. Recruiting in California.
2. He's tired of playing all his division games in Texas.
3. He's tired of Texas playing all their division games in Texas.
4. He's tired of beating up on the North every year.
5. He's tired of hearing the SEC say they're the best conference in football.
6. He's tired of the media saying the SEC is the best conference in football.
7. More favorable media attention, as opposed to the bastard child that the Big 12 seems to be.
8. More equity in league decisions, as opposed to letting Texas hand-pick the commissioner, etc.

What I don't get, though, is what Texas gets in moving to the Pac-10. They literally own everything in the Big 12. They determined the revenue agreement, hand-pick the referees and the league office positions by moving the offices to Dallas. Seriously, they have nearly complete autonomy in the Big 12, aside from the fight that they get from OU. What's to gain by leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-10, or even the previously speculated Big 10? Money? They already have a s**t-load of that, more than any other university in the NCAA. I would think that UT would FIGHT to keep this conference alive. The Big 12 literally SAVED them from the doldrums of the SWC and handed them a power conference and the reigns to drive it. What's to gain by handing over that control and becoming just another institution in the Pac-10?

crawfish
6/10/2010, 10:43 AM
I think the Big 12 depends on Texas, OU and Nebraska. Everybody else was replaceable, but when one of those 3 goes the thing falls apart.

tommieharris91
6/10/2010, 10:45 AM
I'll give another reason: Would you take $$$$$$$$ or $$$?

Also, Texas wants out because they saw the writing on the wall when Mizzou and Neb started flirting with the Big 10.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 10:47 AM
This move also changes the landscape of the country. Basically the entire west of the Mississippi is PAC 10 country. The East will basically still have a battle between the Big 10 Country and SEC Country. Granted the population is bigger in the east, but the media coverage in the west half of the country won't be ignored anymore.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:50 AM
He seems excited to be joining the PAC 10, but to me it doesn't add up. Is it because he is thinking strategically, and realizes that once USC gets thier santions handed sown OU will be able to mop up the conference? Is it becasue he is trying to be a "company man" and support what the university thinks? Is it becasue in the Pac 16 scenario the little brother school would literally be his little brother (arizona)?

My personal feeling is that OU would be a better fit in the SEC than the PAC 10. Our wining traditions seem to fit better in the SEC. Granted it would be a tougher conference year in and year out. The PAC 10 sucks. Thier fans are weaksauce. With the exception of SC, the whole conference plays watered down football.

Agree

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:51 AM
He will have access to recruit the 2 biggest population states. Any other questions?

Seriously, why wouldn't he be excited? USC is going to be down for a long time with these sanctions. It means more exposure and money for the program. We won't play SC, but every few years anyway when they do come back to prominence.
Why go into a loaded SEC and fight for our lives? Trust me, the gators and tide don't want us down there anymore than we would want to go.

If they get "back to prominence", wouldn't you expect them in the Pac16 title game?

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:52 AM

Right on.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 10:55 AM
The commissioner of the PAC 10 is probably the Joe C. of commissioners. I think he's going to lead the country to a playoff system.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 11:03 AM
The commissioner of the PAC 10 is probably the Joe C. of commissioners. I think he's going to lead the country to a playoff system.

I thought he heavily opposed a playoff?

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 11:04 AM
I think the Big 12 depends on Texas, OU and Nebraska. Everybody else was replaceable, but when one of those 3 goes the thing falls apart.

QFT

(perhaps to a lesser extent A&M just because of it's money/fan base)

yermom
6/10/2010, 11:05 AM
we sure went from almost not playing games with Pac-10 teams to being in bed with them pretty fast

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 11:09 AM
we sure went from almost not playing games with Pac-10 teams to being in bed with them pretty fast

it's mind blowing.

we are going to have one hell of a time with those out of division games.

landrun
6/10/2010, 11:12 AM

Right! Not good. On days when we don't have to play with Texans officiating a game, we'll play with those PAC10 officials which gave an imaginary ball, to an imaginary Oregon player at an imaginary spot on the field after they illegally touched the onsi..... you get the point. I HATE this! :mad:

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 11:15 AM
I thought he heavily opposed a playoff?

No he's the exact opposite. He's a new commish, started last year. I remember when he was interviewed he by CFL and he said he was for a playoff but that it was beyond his control.

cjames317
6/10/2010, 12:05 PM
Maybe its the magic of the Rose Bowl (the stadium and the game). It's a pretty special place.

landrun
6/10/2010, 12:06 PM
Well, he is undefeated there. ;)

Half a Hundred
6/10/2010, 12:29 PM
What I don't get, though, is what Texas gets in moving to the Pac-10. They literally own everything in the Big 12. They determined the revenue agreement, hand-pick the referees and the league office positions by moving the offices to Dallas. Seriously, they have nearly complete autonomy in the Big 12, aside from the fight that they get from OU. What's to gain by leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-10, or even the previously speculated Big 10? Money? They already have a s**t-load of that, more than any other university in the NCAA. I would think that UT would FIGHT to keep this conference alive. The Big 12 literally SAVED them from the doldrums of the SWC and handed them a power conference and the reigns to drive it. What's to gain by handing over that control and becoming just another institution in the Pac-10?

They've got little choice in the matter. They perhaps think they can maneuver the Pac-16 setup into allowing a regional television network, given the time zone disparity between the Central and Pacific states.

PalmBeachSooner
6/10/2010, 12:38 PM
it's mind blowing.

we are going to have one hell of a time with those out of division games.

I'm guessing with separate divisions we will play 7 inter-division games, 3 intra-division games (ie., UCLA, Oregon, UW) and have only 2 non-conference games.

No point in scheduling the FSU's of the world for non-conference games with that scenario.

At least all of our conference games would be televised.

yermom
6/10/2010, 12:41 PM
Well, he is undefeated there. ;)

sadly, no

cheezyq
6/10/2010, 01:50 PM
They've got little choice in the matter. They perhaps think they can maneuver the Pac-16 setup into allowing a regional television network, given the time zone disparity between the Central and Pacific states.

Little choice in the matter? Hardly. They've been a huge driver for this Pac-10 merger idea. They've shown interest in ANY move away from the Big 12, even so far as to consider the Big 10, according to all that we know.

And, the way I see it, the TV money makes zero sense. UT is one of the top NCAA schools in revenue, partly because of the way they control the Big 12. Add to that fact that the Big 12 was in negotiations with Fox for a sizable contract similar to the SEC contract, and it seems that UT would have been easily the top moneymaking school in all of the NCAA.

At the same time, the ONLY reason I can see them releasing from the Big 12 is for money, because everything else favors them keeping the Big 12 alive. In that case, I'd say it's a pretty greedy move, and a silly move wrought with potential disaster for UT, to want more dough when you're already sitting at the top.

Why? Because more TV money also means more TV money for OU/OSU/TxAM/TTech, etc. I think it opens a lot more opportunities for UT's rivals than it does for UT. The Pac-10 won't go for the same revenue scheme in the Big 12, they won't stand to have UT be the controlling entity in the new conference, and schools like OU all the way down to Colorado stand to benefit heavily from that.

I'm all for it, and I think Stoops and Castiglione see it the same way. But again, why does UT think it's a good idea?

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 02:03 PM
Remember, those revenues also include donations. This is where UT is ahead (well and stadium size now that they've expanded).

goingoneight
6/10/2010, 02:13 PM
Big Daddy Boone is gonna hate being the new Baylor after dropping all that money down the Stoolwater. :D

stoopified
6/10/2010, 02:52 PM
He works for OU and OU is headed west(apparently).

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 02:55 PM
Even if Texas isn't on board which doesn't seem to be true. This is best for OU to go to the PAC 10 for recruiting purposes alone.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 03:11 PM
Even if Texas isn't on board which doesn't seem to be true. This is best for OU to go to the PAC 10 for recruiting purposes alone.

you think you can get better players out west than you can in the southeast?

King Barry's Back
6/10/2010, 04:41 PM
Little choice in the matter? Hardly. They've been a huge driver for this Pac-10 merger idea. They've shown interest in ANY move away from the Big 12, even so far as to consider the Big 10, according to all that we know.

I am not sure what you are missing here.

Somebody left the barn door open, and all the little ponies are running out.

W/O the Denver TV market, w/o the cachet of storied Nebraska, possibly w/o Saint Louis and part of Kansas City -- there aren't going to be any more lucrative TV contracts.

There are no other schools available that could replace the assets those three Big XII members brought to the table.

Even before the defections, other conferences were paying their schools about $10 million more than the Big XII was. EVERY YEAR!

Have you thought about how inconsequential travelling an extra 400 miles for a game is, in the jet age, when you have another $10 million to offset the costs?

Seriously, dude, the Big XII has been a walking dead man since the last round of TV contracts were signed.

That FSN deal was just about the death knell, right there.

It's kind of like the Soviet Union in its last decades. There was no way to know when it would fall, and there was no way to know how it would fall -- but it wasn't ever going to rise, either.

I just can't find an angle under any scenario where the Big XII could survive much more than the next few years.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 04:45 PM
you think you can get better players out west than you can in the southeast?

We have been recruiting real well in California and Nevada in recent history. Trying to recruit against the teams in the east is a lot tougher. Especially with USC's violations. That opens up a few more USC guys.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 04:46 PM
We have been recruiting real well in California and Nevada in recent history. Trying to recruit against the teams in the east is a lot tougher. Especially with USC's violations.

And I imagine with all the teams in the new Pac10 that will only get tougher too. Ya dig?

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 04:49 PM
But OU already has some recruiting advantages in San Diego and in Las Vegas. That's something the other Big 12 South teams don't have. And you add in the Oklahoma and Texas areas. I wouldn't be that far agianst the SEC if Texas and A&M join. You still have your Texas base there. But now you have 2 areas you can compete with anyone in recruiting. We won't beat Texas in recruiting there but they won't beat us in recruiting California which will give us a big advantage.

King Barry's Back
6/10/2010, 04:51 PM
Oh, i almost forgot, this thread is about "why does Bob act like he's excited to play in the Pac 10?"

I live in Germany and haven't been able to follow this I imagine as closely as some of you, but I saw one quote from Bob that ran through some thoughts, jumbled together, about conference alignment -- and he ended with this: "Whatever happens, it's going to be positive."

That's the key. Whenever ANYTHING is already decided, Mr Stoops publicly embraces it.

I remember a few years ago, OU had to play on the frozen tundra of Arrowhead Stadium at night for the Big XII Championship.

The press was trying to stir up some controversy by provoking Stoops with loaded questions regarding the game's venue.

His response was something to the effect of "If we play at night, it will be positive for us. If we play in the afternoon, it will be positive for us. If we play in KC it will be positive, if we play in Houston or Dallas it will be positive."

His point was that no matter what has been decided for his team, he will not create any distractions by complaining about something they can't control in public.

If we go to the Pac 16, he's going to tell his players, "We're in the Pact 16, let's go play some ball!" If we're in the SEC, he's going to say "Let's go play some ball!"

This is a lesson that some other big time coaches at soon to be former Big XII schools could learn. I am referring to coaches of teams who fly banners and some such.

ndpruitt03
Also starting next year USC won't be able to recruit near as well with the scholarship limits. Those sanctions will kill that program for a while. They may recover in time but they won't be any good for a few years.

goingoneight
Here's the thing about this supposed recruiting adge we'll be gaining...

Ummm... they (the PAC 10 powers that be) will be able to dip into OUr talent pool better with a merger as well.

It uh... kinda goes both ways. So you get a Kenny Stills and a TRRW... but you may lose a Sam Bradford or AD.

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 04:57 PM
except as I recall AD was recruited by USC (and Texas)

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 04:58 PM
Here's the thing about this supposed recruiting adge we'll be gaining...

Ummm... they (the PAC 10 powers that be) will be able to dip into OUr talent pool better with a merger as well.

It uh... kinda goes both ways. So you get a Kenny Stills and a TRRW... but you may lose a Sam Bradford or AD.

Not necessarily true because those schools haven't really been looking at those type of players outside of Texas and USC(who will be limited) the other schools have been recruiting more to their regions. OU's recruiting well in the west coast areas with Ryan Reynolds, DeMarco Murray, Quinton Carter, Justin Chiasson, then the 3 from California this year. Plus the JUCOs we've gotten from there and Chris Chester and a couple others.

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 06:22 PM
Hasn't Arizona already been working to recruit better in Texas? So yeah, they might gain some appeal in Texas, but at the same time other teams will have lost appeal there.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/10/2010, 06:28 PM
Hasn't Arizona already been working to recruit better in Texas? So yeah, they might gain some appeal in Texas, but at the same time other teams will have lost appeal there.

EXACTLY. We're trading the ability to recruit Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri (?), and Kansas (?) for the ability to recruit California better.

There shouldn't be much difference in USC recruiting Texas and Oklahoma than Nebraska recruiting Texas and Oklahoma.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 06:42 PM
after analyzing it extensively, little if any recruiting advantage will emerge.

any gain we see into california will be deluted by all of the other teams entering the market as well.

where as in 2009, OSU had no shot in california, now they have fighting chance as well, etc, etc