PDA

View Full Version : Which conference....

CORNholio
6/10/2010, 04:50 AM
Which conference would you rather join if there were offers. SEC or Pac 1jillion? As much as I hate the SEC and all of their "conference pride trumps all else" BS. I would rather go there than to the new Pac 16. The only way I like the PAC 16 is if it were the Pac 12 or 14. Drop the dead weight from both the conferences and take the best from both and toss in a few newer teams.

I say take:

USC
UCLA
Stan
AZ
AZ St
Utah
Colo
TX
OU
Ore
aTm
Cal
BYU
TECH
Throw them all in a super conference. Say f u pac 10 and big 12 take the best and move on. Either that or hope the SEC offers.

EnragedOUfan
6/10/2010, 07:06 AM
I definately prefer the SEC over the Pac 10. I just wonder if the SEC does/or would want OU to join them...

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 07:50 AM
My preference is exactly what the Pac 10 offer is supposed to be. Most of our games will be against teams we already play so, except for one trip to the west coast per year, the travel isn't any worse and games aren't really that much tougher except with the loss of Baylor and playing USC in the CCG.

I don't like just the addition of OU with one or two other schools to the PAC 10 though.

If OU is going to be part of an addition of one or two other schools to a new division in a new conference, I'd prefer the SEC.

I don't really think there are any other options.

crawfish
6/10/2010, 10:38 AM
I think we fit culturally better with the SEC. As long as A&M went with us, we would retain the Texas ties, so I don't think it would hurt us.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:41 AM
I think we fit culturally better with the SEC. As long as A&M went with us, we would retain the Texas ties, so I don't think it would hurt us.

I'd say so. lol!

SEC, and not even close. Just too bad they already have a committed TV that is keeping them from expanding right now.

cheezyq
6/10/2010, 10:49 AM
Funny thing - My chiropractor made an interesting point. The Big 12, Big 10, and Pac-10 all tend to have SOME regulations and focus on academics. Not so in the SEC. Over the last couple of decades, universities like OU and Texas and NU that have traditionally been known for football, and football only, have started becoming respected as academic institutions as well, being part of the Big 12.

Joining the SEC would all but destroy that reputation, while joining the Pac-10 would allow them to continue to make progress on the academic side as well. So the choice basically boils down to this:

1. Join the SEC, fight for your lives in football every year since that is the ONLY focus for those schools, and live down a reputation as just another football school full of f'n hillbillies, or...
2. Join the Pac-10, continue to have a measure of dominance in the league on a regular basis, AND grow your academics.

I thought it was a good point.

Sooner5030
6/10/2010, 10:52 AM
Stay BIG 12 and replace those that leave.

A 12 team conference with OU/OSU/KU/KSU/MU/ISU + 6 of TTU/UT/TAMU/BAYLOR/BYU/AFA/UNM will still get an auto BCS bid.

I don't want to submit to a PAC __ super conference.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 10:59 AM
Joining the SEC would all but destroy that reputation

How is the University of Florida's academic reputation compared to OU?

cheezyq
6/10/2010, 11:03 AM
How is the University of Florida's academic reputation compared to OU?

Beats me. I wasn't comparing OU or UT or NU to anyone in the SEC. I'm just speaking to the reputation of the SEC as a whole, and noting how the schools in the Big 12 have seemingly focused more on academics since the conference was formed.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/10/2010, 11:05 AM
Stay BIG 12 and replace those that leave.

A 12 team conference with OU/OSU/KU/KSU/MU/ISU + 6 of TTU/UT/TAMU/BAYLOR/BYU/AFA/UNM will still get an auto BCS bid.

I don't want to submit to a PAC __ super conference.

problem is money. We will be getting LESS AND LESS each year, comparatively of course. And that will take a huge toll on our conference in the long run.

OU4LIFE
6/10/2010, 11:05 AM
strictly for selfish reasons i'd vote SEC, just so we woudn't have to face any of those stupid-azz 11PM kickoffs. The game times are gonna be FUBAR in the pac 30.

westcoast_sooner
6/10/2010, 11:25 AM
Would prefer the Big 12 to stay together, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Pac-10/16 or whatever has a lot of appeal, both personally for me and financially for OU.

Personally, I'll get to make plans to attend at least one OU game a year, maybe more, since the trips will be an easy SWA flight or maybe 15 minute drive when they play Stanford.

For OU, this partnership with the other 5 Big 12 schools will mean that the overall schedule will still be pretty good, but we know who we play every year, and we usually do well in those games.

From a recruiting standpoint, OU and Texas will still be the dominant players in the state of Texas. While UT will likely continue to get excellent players in the state, OU has been reaching out more regionally - Nevada, California - and I can see that continuing, especially with USC going on big time probation.

From a TV standpoint, I already get most games here on the west coast, but would expect that the TV deal would put OU games on HD more often.

If OU goes to the SEC, who else is going there? OSU? Kansas? K-State? A&M? It just doesn't seem like as good a fit to me, since in that scenario, Texas would go either to the Pac-10 or Big 10. We don't have the traditional rivalries. JMO.

Sooner5030
6/10/2010, 11:29 AM
PAC XX means fewer quality OOC games.....fewer home games since 9 conference games per year will be rotated home/home with UT in Dallas.

Oh and the road to the BCS gets tougher.

soonerboomer93
6/10/2010, 11:40 AM
Does it really get that much tougher?

the division title will still be hanging out between Norman and Austin. It's possible there may not be a conferance championship game.

NOVSooner
6/10/2010, 11:55 AM
sec by far, at least to me. i hate the pac 10. some very good points were made regarding kick off times, etc. when you factor in the costs per year due to travel expenses, etc, we fare (to me) much better gaining an extra $8 million a year and traveling to the south and south east versus gaining $9 million and traveling to the likes of oregon, washington, cali, etc. the ONLY plus to the pac 10 for OU is the recruiting. if we join pac 10 and usc does get this 2 year ban on postseason and such we stand a great chance at players that are normally usc locks but i'd prefer the sec by far. plus the pac 10 will now only by usc, OU and texas as the main players. this sucks

CORNholio
6/10/2010, 11:58 AM
I hope the AD at least has a sit down with the SEC to explore options and see if the SEC thinks we would be a good fit. If A&M and us set sails for the SEC we could still play Neb/UT out of conference and only have to set 1 or 2 other non-conf games a year. Would be very, very entertaining in my view and we could own the toughest schedule year in year out with our OOC rivalries and conf slate.

S008NER
6/10/2010, 12:03 PM
SEC

Soonermagik
6/10/2010, 12:06 PM
This is easy for me.

PAC-10 no questions about it. Easier schedule, more exposure and more money. Plus, we can recruit from both Texas and California. With USC being hammered by sanctions this will be easier than ever.

TahoeSOONER
6/10/2010, 12:07 PM
As much as I hate the Pac10 I would really like to kick the door down on that conference. I don't see the schedule being that much harder than it is now and it would give me chance to see OU OUt west.

rawlingsHOH
6/10/2010, 12:10 PM
As much as I hate the Pac10 I would really like to kick the door down on that conference. I don't see the schedule being that much harder than it is now and it would give me chance to see OU OUt west.
It will be considerably more difficult. You lose 2 automatic Ws, Baylor and a non-conference. Then you replace The Big 12 north with the Pac 10.

TahoeSOONER
6/10/2010, 12:41 PM
It will be considerably more difficult. You lose 2 automatic Ws, Baylor and a non-conference. Then you replace The Big 12 north with the Pac 10.

I would rather play SC or Oregon in the Pac? CCG, if they have one, than a growing Nebraska program in the Big 12 CCG. What they did to a decent Arizona team was just short of astonishing, beatem up.

The regular season would be tougher, travel a lil' further, but the more money and exposure out west will be worth adding a few tougher games in Arizona and one further west a year.

Pretty interesting off season to say the least, the dust needs to settle.

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 12:58 PM
sec by far, at least to me. i hate the pac 10. some very good points were made regarding kick off times, etc. when you factor in the costs per year due to travel expenses, etc, we fare (to me) much better gaining an extra $8 million a year and traveling to the south and south east versus gaining $9 million and traveling to the likes of oregon, washington, cali, etc. the ONLY plus to the pac 10 for OU is the recruiting. if we join pac 10 and usc does get this 2 year ban on postseason and such we stand a great chance at players that are normally usc locks but i'd prefer the sec by far. plus the pac 10 will now only by usc, OU and texas as the main players. this sucks

If there are just two interdivisional games, which makes sense to me from a scheduling standpoint, there is only ONE coastal trip per year. OU typically has a game like that OOC fairly often anyway. If travel was that big of an issue, OU can make up the difference by being more local with the OOC scheduling. This is a non-issue for football.