PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to the RRR?

cheezyq
6/9/2010, 07:07 PM
Considering that the Big 12 appears all but defunct...what happens to the RRR? Now, I'm assuming that we'll be in the same division as UTerus, and that we'll play them every year.

However, since tradition has been pretty much set aside during all these conference invites and negotiations, would OU/UT consider playing their series home/home, rather than at the Cotton Bowl? What do you think? What would you prefer to see?

Personally, I'd like to see the series go home/home. College Football isn't the same anymore, so doing it based on just tradition seems to be less and less attractive to me. Besides, I'd like to see Texas compete on equal footing for once, and come into Norman to receive their beating. Can you imagine the sound of 89,000 Crimson-clad fans all united in their hatred of orange, burnt or otherwise, booing at the top of their lungs as the cream-turd brigade strolls onto the field? I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

TXBOOMER
6/9/2010, 07:15 PM
Home and Home why get zebra f'ed every year.

JLEW1818
6/9/2010, 07:15 PM
cotton bowl. will be part of the agreement, I'm guessing

ndpruitt03
6/9/2010, 07:17 PM
We have played the game in Dallas long we were in the same conference. If we were really going to buck tradition, it would have been when we joined the same conference 14 years ago.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 07:37 PM
This is terrible. This idea.

soonerhubs
6/9/2010, 08:00 PM
I agree with Herr.

PrideTrombone
6/9/2010, 08:00 PM
This is terrible. This idea.

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/samir/samir2.jpg

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 08:12 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/dignonk/office_space.jpg

soonervegas
6/9/2010, 08:18 PM
I would like the terms home and home and OU/Texas never allowed to be uttered in the same sentence again.

oudavid1
6/9/2010, 08:19 PM
In Dallas, Cotton Bowl. Period.

HBick
6/9/2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, part of the reason why the Texas State Fair is so successful is because of the Red River Shootout (don't use rivalry, it's puss*fied). The city of Dallas has committed to upgrading the cotton bowl facilities too right?

TXBOOMER
6/9/2010, 08:34 PM
That game is going to Jerry World without a doubt. $

cheezyq
6/9/2010, 09:11 PM
College Football has changed so much that Tradition shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. It's not just conference ties, it's the BCS, the TV money (for which every University President should be on their knees bowing to Oklahoma), the politics, the recruiting...everything.

The Cotton Bowl has been great and the games have been fantastic, the atmosphere was fun...but everything has changed. The game won't be there forever. So, when do we say goodbye? I think now is as good a time as any.

I've enjoyed the uniqueness of the Cotton Bowl as much as anyone. So, I'd be sad to see it go. But I guess I'm preparing myself for an overhauled college football world. If NU can't see the benefit of staying in the Big 12, where they would have a MUCH bigger say in how the conference operates than in the Big Upper Midwest, then I can't imagine any university truly cares about tradition and the fanbase. It's CLEARLY only about the money.

We've already seen the NU/OU legendary rivalry fade away. Why? The BCS. Both teams felt it would diminish their chances at a BCS game.

So, I guess in a way I'm preparing for life after the Cotton Bowl. Besides everything else, it would be nice for the Austin A**-Clowns to step outside the state of Texas more than once every 4-5 years to play a decent team.

StoopTroup
6/9/2010, 09:20 PM
I think we should build a big stadium on the Oklahoma border and put in a water park some restaurants and some fair type rides. Make it state law that beer may only be sold to OU Season ticket holders at cost.

icmwhOU72
6/9/2010, 09:23 PM
As long as OU and texas are in the same conference the game will be the RRR and i agree with whoever said it will move to jerry world. this game will be fine and i bet we never play braskie again once this all shakes out

westcoast_sooner
6/9/2010, 09:40 PM
Dallas, State Fair Time - FOREVER!!! JMO.

oumartin
6/9/2010, 10:14 PM
obviously tradition means nothing anymore so I say adios to playing them.

sooner ngintunr
6/9/2010, 10:21 PM
89,000?:texan:

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 10:23 PM
The Cotton Bowl has been great and the games have been fantastic, the atmosphere was fun...but everything has changed. The game won't be there forever. So, when do we say goodbye? I think now is as good a time as any.

You watch your GD mouth. Just kidding. No I'm not.

yankee
6/9/2010, 10:23 PM
YEAH LET'S CONTINUE TO **** UP TRADITON SOME MORE!!!!!!1one

agoo758
6/10/2010, 01:07 AM
What would you guys prefer?
Keeping it a nuetral game that would probably result in the game moving to the impossible-for-anyone-making-under-six-figures-to-access Jerry World? Or switch to Alternating home/away game that would allow the average joes (IE the majority of the college football fanbase) to attend and enjoy each year?

TahoeSOONER
6/10/2010, 01:17 AM
Cotton, nuff said.

sooner59
6/10/2010, 01:21 AM
Cotton Bowl. I went to Jerry World for the BYU game. Regardless of the outcome, still didn't care for it. It would destroy the atmosphere of the RRR. I could not imagine attending a * game in Austin. I would be puking the whole time.

OUstud
6/10/2010, 01:24 AM
If you like watching football in an airplane hangar with a giant scoreboard, then JerryWorld's your place. I mean, other than the scoreboard and the weird roof the place looks like any other boring, character-less NFL stadium.

Herr Scholz
6/10/2010, 01:27 AM
Cotton Bowl. I went to Jerry World for the BYU game. Regardless of the outcome, still didn't care for it. It would destroy the atmosphere of the RRR. I could not imagine attending a * game in Austin. I would be puking the whole time.
Austin is fun with normal, regular folk types. We will nice to you. No puking allowed though.

agoo758
6/10/2010, 01:29 AM
Who would support the game being in Norman every year? :D

agoo758
6/10/2010, 01:31 AM
Austin is fun with normal, regular folk types. We will nice to you. No puking allowed though.

Good point. Puking might be too civil for Austin.....

sooner59
6/10/2010, 01:34 AM
It happens every time I see burnt orange....it would be hard to avoid. Just sayin.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 01:35 AM
YEAH LET'S CONTINUE TO **** UP TRADITON SOME MORE!!!!!!1one

Tradition is sometimes only tradition because some people refuse to change

agoo758
6/10/2010, 01:38 AM
Tradition is sometimes only tradition because some people refuse to change

When I hear the word "tradition", It makes me think of the puked up fecal matter that is greek life that is full of people overly obessed with "tradition" and makes me want to disregard any "tradition" out of spite.

SteelCitySooner
6/10/2010, 01:41 AM
I love the games at the cotton bowl. I hope that don't change.. Y'all **** on tradition all ya want.. But being a part of something thats been happening for so long is meaningful. Hell, I hope my kids are going to that game long after I am gone.. as I am long after my father is gone..

Collier11
6/10/2010, 01:42 AM
Dont get me wrong, I always want the game to be at a neutral site. I just dont think the Cotton Bowl is viable for the long term

SteelCitySooner
6/10/2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe not.. But it'll be a damn sad day when it leaves the cotton bowl.. What dallas needs to do is really repair that stadium and modernize it..

Collier11
6/10/2010, 01:45 AM
I would be all for that, they are trying but I just dont know if it is enough to keep it away from Jerrys deep pockets

sooner59
6/10/2010, 01:47 AM
We need some big time alumni at either OU or tejas to pony up and donate the money to build a new stadium where the Cotton Bowl is now. This will settle it.

colinreturn
6/10/2010, 01:48 AM
Maybe not.. But it'll be a damn sad day when it leaves the cotton bowl.. What dallas needs to do is really repair that stadium and modernize it..

like renovate all the facilities and increase capacity to 90,000+?

oh wait...

Collier11
Dallas makes far too much money off of this game for anyone from either school to just donate the money

Collier11
like renovate all the facilities and increase capacity to 90,000+?

oh wait...

and its still a crap hole in a bad part of town

sooner59
6/10/2010, 01:59 AM
Dallas makes far too much money off of this game for anyone from either school to just donate the money

Let Dallas goes half and half with donors and put the damn thing in Southlake or Highland Park. I just don't care for Jerry World. I don't care for the ghetto the fair park is in either. I just want to keep it in Dallas and out of Jerry World.

Herr Scholz
6/10/2010, 01:59 AM
and its still a crap hole in a bad part of town

Yes, it's in a horrible part of town. That's one of the draws. Iron bars on the windows of convenience stores scream this is where you need to be.

But it's not a crap hole. Dallas spent $30M to update that stadium and it's awesome. No more small seats built for small people that bruise your legs. Better conscessions and better bathrooms. Better Jumbotron (at least for Horn fans).

Collier11
6/10/2010, 02:01 AM
and still out of date

HBick
6/10/2010, 02:31 AM
Few points, as much as I hate the 11am kickoffs, no one wants to be down there at night, it really is a sh**** part of town.

Next up, making it a home would ruin what it is, the only other major rivalry that is played at a neutral field is Florida-Georgia correct? The world's largest cocktail party has been irrelevant for the majority of the time the Red River Shootout has been happening. For Christ's sake, Jesse Palmer was a QB at Florida. That gelled up, tool bag, was the QB right before Zook was hired.

So in theory, when you look at major rivalries, OU-Texas is the biggest rivalry held at a neutral site.

Herr Scholz
6/10/2010, 02:34 AM
and still out of date

But it's better now. Toilets don't overflow anymore.

BTW, Fletcher's Corn Dogs. Done. Over.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 02:36 AM
we can take em to wherever it moves

sooner59
6/10/2010, 02:39 AM
Moving the RRR from Dallas would completely ruin the rivalry for me. Staying in Dallas....meeting downtown the night before.....hitting up the bars....being at the fair hungover. That is what OU-texas is all about. Its hard to be drunk or really hungover and catch the DART to Arlington. Plus, they have much less fried foods.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 02:41 AM
Id still go to the west end the night before regardless of where it is in dallas or arlington

Herr Scholz
6/10/2010, 02:45 AM
The West End blows. Keep going there.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 02:46 AM
I just like the atmosphere, I dont partake in a ton of the yelling and screaming. I just think its cool to be around all the people. Where else is there, I dont really like Deep Ellum all that much, we went last year.

HBick
6/10/2010, 02:56 AM
I'm partial to uptown. Really enjoyed the black friar this year. That Friday night I witnessed 3 fights in 20 minutes. First fight two ou fans, second fight, 4 texas fans who thought one was an OU fan. third fight, a texas and ou fan got into it over some hot girl who was trolling outside on the patio.

Oh and the west end scares me, when I was a freshman (2006) the Texas cheerleaders were on the shoulders of the the male cheerleaders and someone threw a beer bottle and hit a cheerleader in the head. she just fell off and ambulances and police in riot gear broke it up within 10 minutes.

still saw a guy kiss a police horse and then get arrested for it. legendary ou texas

sooner59
6/10/2010, 02:58 AM
Yeah I don't do all the yelling and fighting. I just like being in that atmosphere as well. Its exciting. So yeah, i'll keep going until its boring.

sooner59
6/10/2010, 03:01 AM
I'm partial to uptown. Really enjoyed the black friar this year. That Friday night I witnessed 3 fights in 20 minutes. First fight two ou fans, second fight, 4 texas fans who thought one was an OU fan. third fight, a texas and ou fan got into it over some hot girl who was trolling outside on the patio.

Oh and the west end scares me, when I was a freshman (2006) the Texas cheerleaders were on the shoulders of the the male cheerleaders and someone threw a beer bottle and hit a cheerleader in the head. she just fell off and ambulances and police in riot gear broke it up within 10 minutes.

still saw a guy kiss a police horse and then get arrested for it. legendary ou texas

Hell I was there. That was the year a girl got trampled by a police horse and had to be taken in an ambulance, and when two texas fans got in a fight, a police walkie talkie ended up sliding to us on the perimeter. We stole it, but it didn't work. Broken. Good times, tough.

sendbaht
6/10/2010, 04:04 AM
Home and Home why get zebra f'ed every year.

Home to home agreed. Be nice to play Texas once in a while in Oklahoma. To me UT has always had a advantage playing in Texas.

BHB 91
6/10/2010, 05:49 AM
Downtown Dallas is all but dead now. It is no longer fun to hang out there the night before like it was years ago. The West End is a piece of its former self and Deep Ellum is not much better.

I bet after the current agreement expires, attempts will be made to move it to Jerry's World. If this starts to happen, that will be when I support the home and home move.

I'm all for keeping it in the Cotton Bowl as bad as that place is and with it being in a very bad part of town but not anywhere else in DFW.

EnragedOUfan
6/10/2010, 07:10 AM
I'd like to see the RRS go to a home and away series for at least two years just to give it a shot. Even though Dallas is midway, its still in Texas. I'd like to see Stoops smash the horns on Oklahoma soil..

Soonersince57
6/10/2010, 09:33 AM
Tradition should mean something, but the powers that be would play it in Juneau if you wave enough $$$ in front of them.

TMcGee86
6/10/2010, 09:41 AM
I would like the terms home and home and OU/Texas never allowed to be uttered in the same sentence again.

This

TMcGee86
6/10/2010, 09:43 AM
BTW, Fletcher's Corn Dogs. Done. Over.

Bingo.

TexasLidig8r
6/10/2010, 09:52 AM
Home to home agreed. Be nice to play Texas once in a while in Oklahoma. To me UT has always had a advantage playing in Texas.

Sweet Blue Jebus....

"You two are literally too stupid to insult."

First, the teams are locked into the Cotton Bowl through 2015. By then, the allure will be off the shiny new Deathstar.

Second, a home game every other year against Texas will result in LESS money to Oklahoma than by leaving it at the Cotton Bowl. One, the City of Dallas pays the universities millions to play every year. This number will keep going up with the new contract.

The vast majority of Texas fans (which will number what... 4000) will not stay in Norman or OKC after the game but will come back to Texas. Therefore, the community will not realize a big windfall.

Third, the atmosphere.. the environment, the legends, the traditions which define the very nature of the Texas - Oklahoma rivalry cannot be duplicated nor equaled by going home and home or playing in that insipid Deathstar.

Fourth, the vast majority of Ou fans who use this weekend as their big family vacation every year will be most disappointed were this to change. They would have to replace this annual trip with a visit to the "World's Largest Ball of String" or "Alligator World". Not gonna happen. :rolleyes:

IB4OU2
6/10/2010, 10:06 AM
Never move it from the Cotton bowl...ever. I love walking through the fair after we've kicked the whorns butts with the aroma of corny dogs and fried cocacola lingering in the air...don't screw with tradition.

Loosing the tradition/games with the Huskers is enough...dammit.