PDA

View Full Version : OU's Bob Stoops intrigued by Pac-10 merger

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:34 PM
NORMAN — The two coaches Sooner fans care about most feel differently about the possibility of Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-10.

OU football coach Bob Stoops is intrigued by the prospect of joining the Pac-10.

Football's Bob Stoops is excited.

Women's basketball's Sherri Coale is not.

"It's kind of exciting to me, what the possibilities are for our program,” Stoops said. "What actually it will be, I don't know. In the end, it'll be positive.”

Coale is not so enthusiastic.

"It's not something I want to happen,” Coale said. "We have one of the premier conferences in women's college basketball. We've been No. 1 in attendance, No. 1 in RPI the past two-three years.

"The Big 12 is a great conference for our sport. I would hate to see it broken up.”

While Coale believes a Pac-10/Big 12 merger might not be the best thing for OU women's basketball, Stoops thinks it stands to benefit his program.

"(The Big 12) has been great for us. We have been in a good number of Big 12 championship games and won a number of times. Obviously, it's been good for us,” Stoops said. "But the more people are talking about (the Pac-10), the more people are thinking, 'That's exciting. That's pretty cool. That has a chance to be special.' It's win/win. Best of everything.”

Stoops says a chance to play against Pac-10 schools in conference could open the window to one of the nation's largest recruiting hotbeds, California. With the Big 12 South schools expected to join OU in the event of a merger, the Sooners would keep their traditional recruiting base of Texas strong, too.

"When I first heard it, I thought it was exciting. Thought, that has a chance to be pretty good, by bringing the West Coast recruiting into play,” Stoops said. "For us, especially to play down in Texas, has always been positive. I think that has a chance to be the best of everything, a good number of games we have in the South and then out West.

"It brings everything out West into play, particularly California.”

Coale, however, has cause to hope the Big 12 stays together.

Over the last decade, the league has become a powerhouse in women's basketball, and OU has thrived in that environment.

Both in performance and in interest.

The Sooners ranked sixth nationally in attendance, and advanced to their second straight Final Four.

The Big 12 has also thrived in women's hoops.

A national-best seven schools from the conference made this past season's NCAA Tournament.

And for the 11th year in a row, the Big 12 also led all conferences in women's basketball attendance, with an average of 5,247 fans a game.

In fact, the Big 12 had five schools rank in the top 10 nationally in average home attendance in women's basketball, with Iowa State, OU, Nebraska, Baylor and Texas Tech all averaging more than 7,200 fans per home game.

Only two of those schools, OU and Texas Tech, are certain to receive invitations to the Pac-10, which other than Stanford, is mediocre in women's hoops, both in performance and interest.

Last season, only two schools from the Pac-10 ranked in the top 50 in attendance: Stanford (No. 23) and Arizona State (No. 45); while Arizona, California, Oregon State, UCLA, USC and Washington State all averaged fewer than 1,500 a game.

In other words, Sooner fans would be watching lesser opponents at the Lloyd Noble Center, and OU's teams would be playing in front of smaller crowds on the road.

"I'm concerned about what (a move to the Pac-10) would do to our fan base,” Coale said. "We're in a conference where we play in front of thousands night to night. Out there, you might see crowds of one-thousand. Maybe it's something where (the Big 12 schools) help their attendance. I don't know.”

OU baseball coach Sunny Golloway, whose Sooners take on Virginia this weekend with a College World Series berth on the line, aligns with Stoops.

He believes a merger with the Pac-10 would create college baseball's top conference and generate more interest in the sport, locally and nationally.

"Potentially, Arizona and Arizona State is who we're talking about being aligned with, my personal feeling, that's the best baseball division in a conference in the country,” Golloway said. "You look at who the weakest link would be and say that's how strong the chain is? Whew. Whoever someone might argue is the weakest on that is going to be the strongest in other conferences.

"I'd be ready to compete. And it could help college baseball get on the tube more. There would be a lot of interest in that division. And how they cross-bracket every year, and the pride in the divisions crossing, oh man. Everyone's RPI would be in the top 10.”

John Helsley contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3467204?searched=bob%20stoops&custom_click=search#ixzz0qO037i6H

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:37 PM
There is also a video at the link. If this isn't a done deal with the Sooners headed to the new super conference, I would be absolutely shocked. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if OU already has the invite. We all know if President Boren signs off that our Board of Regents will go right along.

Bob Stoops seems almost giddy at the prospect along with Sonny Galloway. It is not like we haven't been playing games on the West Coast in football and our baseball team made a trip out there in the spring.

In basketball we already share a deal with the PAC 10 so all of us play one game against the other conference. We played a PAC 10 team Stanford and beat them in the Sun Bowl. This will really shake up the Bowls.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:38 PM
OU already recruits Texas hard but also has ties into California ... this can really strengthen those ties and open up Cal for OU football like never before. Could really be a boost for the Sooners.

swardboy
6/9/2010, 02:56 PM
It's all about the football Sherry....

TXBOOMER
6/9/2010, 07:18 PM
Womens basketball matters not.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 07:40 PM
Womens basketball matters not.

Men's basketball is irrelevant.

Signed,
Rock Chalk

TXBOOMER
6/9/2010, 08:36 PM
Men's basketball is irrelevant.

Signed,
Rock Chalk

I will not argue with that.

nBoSTP
6/9/2010, 09:04 PM
My only problem with joining the PAC 10 is that Texas is coming too. They have already destroyed 2 conferences with their selfish me first attitude. Oklahoma might be best to join the SEC instead if they can.

Dan Thompson
6/9/2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe I'll get a little more respect.

ndpruitt03
6/9/2010, 09:21 PM
My only problem with joining the PAC 10 is that Texas is coming too. They have already destroyed 2 conferences with their selfish me first attitude. Oklahoma might be best to join the SEC instead if they can.

Going where we can't recruit Texas as good because we won't play in Texas as regularly doesn't really help OU's recruiting. OU's recruiting 2 places real well right now outside of Oklahoma. Texas and California. Arkansas was really good when they had a link to Texas. When they moved to the SEC they lost their recruiting base in Texas and it eventually hurt them. Going against Texas could end up hurting more than helping OU. And it isn't just Texas because no matter what we are playing in Dallas every year. It's playing A&M also. And having exposure on FSSW etc in the Texas area. Go to the SEC we aren't a part of the Texas media.

47straight
6/9/2010, 09:56 PM

Yes

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 10:19 PM

UT and OU have made every single decision in the Big XII together. We're very good business partners. Also, OU has made a ton more money in the Big XII than you did in the Big 8. You sound like a husker.

yankee
6/9/2010, 10:22 PM

.[bangs head against wall repeatedly]

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 10:30 PM
UT and OU have made every single decision in the Big XII together. We're very good business partners. Also, OU has made a ton more money in the Big XII than you did in the Big 8. You sound like a husker.

You are so right but some people cannot see the writing on the wall.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:03 PM
I like you, SoonerMom2. You're level headed.

You have 2 kids?

GKeeper316
6/9/2010, 11:13 PM
It's all about the football Sherry....

ya sorry, sherry... i love all things OU, but football is the bottom line, and the sport that pays for the women's basketball program.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:19 PM
You have 2 kids?
Because I have 2 boys, 5 and 2. They're both evil. TMI?

bri
6/10/2010, 12:17 AM
Coale is not so enthusiastic.

"It's not something I want to happen,” Coale said. "We have one of the premier conferences in women's college basketball. We've been No. 1 in attendance, No. 1 in RPI the past two-three years.

"The Big 12 is a great conference for our sport. I would hate to see it broken up.”

Translation: "I can't beat Stanford. Please don't make me play them every year."

SoonerMom2
6/10/2010, 12:42 AM
I like you, SoonerMom2. You're level headed.

You have 2 kids?

I have three kids -- two graduated from OU!

Having lived in Texas and So Cal due to transfers along with growing up in Ohio, it makes it easier to see different sides.

Don't think I met any fans in Texas that were more arrogant than the Buckeye fans I grew up with and family members who root for OSU. I have an Uncle who is annoying as can be about OSU.

Herr Scholz
6/10/2010, 12:49 AM
You grew up in Ohio? I had a bad experience when I went to Columbus in '05 when we beat them at their place at night.

We got out of a cab that day at noon and were screamed at "**** You!!!!!" immediately. Fast forward to me walking to the game at around 7:00 and getting hit with half full cans of beer and lit cigarettes

I've seen Arkansas fans, LSU, OU, A&M, Tech, etc... Fanbases that hate us. But nothing is like those bucknuts.

Monster Zero
6/10/2010, 08:35 AM
I have three kids -- two graduated from OU!

Having lived in Texas and So Cal due to transfers along with growing up in Ohio, it makes it easier to see different sides.

Don't think I met any fans in Texas that were more arrogant than the Buckeye fans I grew up with and family members who root for OSU. I have an Uncle who is annoying as can be about OSU.

SoonerMom2, you don't know the guy that I know.

Ordained minister. Works at a church in "another State".

Shows up for Thanksgiving in Oklahoma (his mom and dad's house; I'm there with my wife) with Texas... uh, STUFF all over his SUV. My dad and mom had both passed away since the last time I saw him. He said nothing about them, but managed to get in a fight with me on some sort of moralistic grounds at the dinner table. Honestly I probably deserve my share of credit for that, for trying to help him down off of that high-horse. It almost came to blows. (Would frankly have been fine with me, even at my age.)

His wife, who's a Packers fan, spent the entire day watching the Packers and Detroit/Dallas on the tube and not even speaking to me except to denigrate Landry's performance at his position this season.

Then, as my wife and I are about to leave to go home... "Well, we better go change into our jeans..." and both of them come out all pimped up in their Texas stuff like they're on their way to homecoming or something.

I try to leave politely, and as we're getting into the car my SIL says "Don't you want a CAR MAGNET?"

I just closed the door and drove off.

I used to think there was no one on earth more arrogant and conceited than my BIL.

He once got me into a confrontation with some OSU-looking dudes (our OSU, not the Buckeyes) at the shooting range here in Tulsa, one of whom had a rifle in his hands, by NOT heeding my instructions after he'd explicitly, with his own mouth, in front of his family the evening before, given me his word that he WOULD.

Guess who would have been in trouble if anything had happened? Yeah, me. We were there on my membership. Not to mention that HE was the one who had run off downrange without my permission at the time the OSU-looking dude decided to pick up a rifle and point it downrange and it was HIS butt that I saved from maybe having a bullet put thru it. His butt, and his 12-yo kid who he took with him that is.

I said then that I'd never ever trust him again with any thing ever again as long as I live, seminary degree and "call to the ministry" or no.

Now I have an acceptable explanation for it.

First and foremost and above all, he's an arrogant, self-superior whorn at heart. It's impossible for any human being anywhere on earth, except Texas, to be worse.

badger
6/10/2010, 08:55 AM
We have some very fun matchups in womens basketball... but Coale never schedules Stanford anymore, because I think she hates their coach, which my wonderful husband NP nicknamed 'the crypt keeper' last Final Four.

If that matchup is forced, no more waiting till March/April for revenge on several major postseason run ends.

Sorry Sherri - I love you and your team, and that poll on the bball board suggests that many fans here love you too - but time for OU to move on. We all know you'll schedule former conference foes for your annual insanely tough non-conference schedule if the Big 12 is indeed over.