PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska is Gone!!!!!

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/09/10/Reports-Nebraska-to-Join-Big-Ten/landing.html?blockID=250141&feedID=3724

By Jeff Seemann
Fox Sports Ohio
June 9, 2010

After a weekend of denials and hushed discussions, the Big Ten will expand to 12 teams as early as Friday. Reports are emerging that the Nebraska Cornhuskers will become the 12th team in the league.

A source close to the situation has told Fox Sports Ohio that The Big Ten has offered an invitation to Nebraska to become the 12th member of the elite conference.

Over the weekend, the Big 12 Conference demanded a loyalty pledge from all of its' members, and only 9 teams complied. Two of the three holdouts, Nebraska and Missouri, were given until this Friday to decide if they wanted to stay in the league, and the ultimatum has apparently pushed the Huskers into the Big 10.

“I think before too long — I don't know exactly what that time frame is — we'll be able to put this to bed,'' said Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne, “because I'm getting tired of it.''

The Big Ten had announced plans to explore expansion six months ago, but had placed a 12-to-18 month timetable on the matter. But as other conferences began the same discussions, each league found themselves pushing up their plans. The Big Ten will be the first conference this year to grow.

The Big 12's ultimatum appears to have been the deciding factor, but Osborne downplayed that possibility.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12,'' the former Husker coach said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years."

An official announcement is expected by Friday afternoon, but a press conference could be held as early as today.

With Nebraska moving to the Big Ten, the conference would now be home to four of the NCAA's most legendary football schools. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan are the league's standard-bearers and a fourth powerhouse would boost the overall image of the conference. Furthermore, it would bring another enormous fanbase into the league.

Memorial Stadium currently averages 86,000 fans per home game, which would give the Big Ten five stadiums that hold 80,000 fans or more. Ohio Stadium, Michigan Stadium, and Penn State's Beaver Stadium each top out at over 100,000. Wisconsin's Camp Randall holds just over 80k.

With the first shift in conference expansion taking place, most college football analysts expect more to occur soon. There is outside interest in adding Missouri to the Big Ten, and the talks regarding Notre Dame has picked up again.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 02:20 PM
So, if this is true and the Big Ten only goes to 12 it appears everyone else will stay intact. In that case, who do we bring in?

jaux
6/9/2010, 02:22 PM
nevermind that...who else refused the loyalty oath? Getta rope!

KantoSooner
6/9/2010, 02:22 PM
If it's only one then either Boise or BYU would make the most sense.

Maybe.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:28 PM
TX said all along they were gone if NE left but then I think the PAC 10 offer was already on the table for the Big 12 south plus Colorado and it what pushed them to tell NE to put up or shut up.

Did anyone read the article about Bob Stoops along with Sherri Coale, and Sonny Galloway in The Oklahoman? Big 12 is gone! You could tell by the article that it was pretty much a done deal we are headed to the PAC 10.

Stoops and Galloway are looking forward to the move while Coale is not happy because the Big 12 was a super conference in women's basketball. Think she should like at is as a challenge to build the new conference into a better women's basketball program.

Big 10 is not staying at 12 teams if rumors out of Columbus are correct. More invites will be extended or have already been. The ultimatum to NE moved up the Big 10 timetable.

Flagstaffsooner
6/9/2010, 02:30 PM
By Monday College Football will be all different.

Soonez
6/9/2010, 02:33 PM
All that I've read says that the Big Twelve is done if the Huskers leave. If Mizzou or Colorado or both left teams would be added to replace those that leave and all is well. But the report is that T***as has no interest in remaining in a Big 12 minus the huskers.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 02:38 PM
TX said all along they were gone if NE left but then I think the PAC 10 offer was already on the table for the Big 12 south plus Colorado and it what pushed them to tell NE to put up or shut up.

Texas wasn't behind that ultimatum. The university presidents all voted for that. Texas has been adamant that we would stay if nebraska did and that we wanted the Big XII to survive. You can replace Mizzou or CU but not them. You can't blame this on the Horns.

Buh bye, huskers. Enjoy West Lafayette, East Lansing, Columbus and probably New Jersey. Scenic spots. And enjoy recruiting in those rustbelt states with their dwindling populations and recruiting bases against the established powers there. Good luck with all that.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:48 PM
I am not blaming it on the Horns for NE -- OU and the rest of the conference was just as adament about the deadline for NE. It is just that I heard it first out of TX people that if NE left the Big 12 was gone and I agree 100% with that. I thought that TX was right to put it on NE if they left then all bets were off.

In fact I blame it on NE for getting their noses out of joint when TX and OK made their resurgence in football. NE could not stand the two schools being back on top IMHO.

They are not going to like what they find in the Big 10 IMHO!

I am perfectly happy for OU and TX to be joined by other Big 12 teams in joining the PAC 10. When I think of roadtrips to the West Coast, it is much more attractive then to Ames, Iowa.

soonerbub
6/9/2010, 02:48 PM
This means the OU-Nebraska rivalry is officially dead--no way we play
with the tough schedule of the new conference

OU Adonis
6/9/2010, 02:49 PM
I personally would love to see us get rid of Texas being in the same conference. Just because I can't stand how they try to dictate the conference.

OUDizzle
6/9/2010, 02:51 PM
I personally would love to see us get rid of Texas being in the same conference. Just because I can't stand how they try to dictate the conference.

One of the upsides of having the Cal schools in the conference.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:54 PM
I think the person who helps dictate the conferenc behind the scenes is our own President Boren. If anyone thinks that TX does all the dictating, then they don't remember when Boren took on the NCAA about TV rights and opened up TV! No way is David Boren going to sit by and allow TX to dictate. Just not going to happen. Pres Boren has never been bashful about speaking out if he doesn't like something.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 02:56 PM
UT and OU have been a voting block during the entire Big XII existence. And both have had substantial clout in decision making. Being rivals in sports isn't the same thing as being adversarial off the field. We've been good business partners in this league.

OU Adonis
6/9/2010, 02:56 PM
I think the person who helps dictate the conferenc behind the scenes is our own President Boren. If anyone thinks that TX does all the dictating, then they don't remember when Boren took on the NCAA about TV rights and opened up TV! No way is David Boren going to sit by and allow TX to dictate. Just not going to happen. Pres Boren has never been bashful about speaking out if he doesn't like something.

I disagree. Texas has far more weight than any other school in conference when the decisions are made.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/9/2010, 02:57 PM
Announcement?

Far be it for me to doubt the very reputable Fox Sports Ohio, but if they are wrong about this, it wouldn't be the first time some douchy local sports dood ran with a scoop that had no validity.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 02:57 PM
UT and OU have been a voting block during the entire Big XII existence. And both have had substantial clout in decision making. Being rivals in sports isn't the same thing as being adversarial off the field. We've been good business partners in this league.

This

I disagree. Texas has far more weight than any other school in conference when the decisions are made.

and this

Collier11
6/9/2010, 02:58 PM
Announcement?

Far be it for me to doubt the very reputable Fox Sports Ohio, but if they are wrong about this, it wouldn't be the first time some douchy local sports dood ran with a scoop that had no validity.

Chip Brown among others are reporting it now

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 02:59 PM
some douchy local sports dood
It's highly likely you'd find one of these in Columbus, OH.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:07 PM
Good riddance and welcome to the PAC 16!

OU Adonis
6/9/2010, 03:08 PM
To be honest I am not excited about the move. Just a couple of years ago it seemed we made fun of that weak conference when it came to football.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:09 PM
Im still not convinced we go to the Pac 10

OU and ut would be giving up a ton of power, the other schools would struggle without us. I dont know, we will see

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:11 PM
The only other School with the clout that OU and Texass bring to the PAC 10 is USC. We'll be better of in the PAC 16 than with a Nebraska less Big XII.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 03:12 PM
Let's just add TCU to the South, move OU to the North and then we can play for the Big XII title every single year at Jerry World. :D

Phil
6/9/2010, 03:14 PM
It's highly likely you'd find one of these in Columbus, OH.

Well, Herbstreit lives there, so it's a given.

tommieharris91
6/9/2010, 03:14 PM
The only other School with the clout that OU and Texass bring to the PAC 10 is USC. We'll be better of in the PAC 16 than with a Nebraska less Big XII.

If the Pac-10 wanted pokes for T-Boone $$$$$ (especially over chickenhawks), then imagine what kind of clout Phil Knight and Oregon have...

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:16 PM
Love it!

Phil
6/9/2010, 03:18 PM

Herr, you are right on the money with this one. OU and UT literally created the Big XII, and if you think Dodds and Texas are dictating what happens in the current situation, you are sorely mistaken. I can guarantee that OU and UT have worked together behind the scenes on all of this. I can also guarantee that the Pac-10 thing is that they want UT, OU, and CU (although I can't imagine why they want CU), and are willing to take A&M and hold their noses and accept OSU and Tech to get them.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:19 PM
If the Pac-10 wanted pokes for T-Boone $$$$$ (especially over chickenhawks), then imagine what kind of clout Phil Knight and Oregon have...I almost added them but Okie State, despite their money has very little clout. Enough to be added but not much more.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 03:20 PM
If NE thinks TX is arrogant, then just wait until OSU gets them. I grew up in Ohio and there is not a more arrogant school outside of maybe Notre Dame or USC and not sure about that than Ohio State.

We lived in SoCal and didn't see near the arrogance that I saw with OSU.

NE is about to get an eye opener because if Michigan resurges in football, they join OSU as being arrogant. OSU runs that conference.

You will never convince me that Texas runs the Big 12 without Pres Boren having a large say -- he is not as vocal as TX, but you can bet he is right there.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:20 PM
If Bob Stoops is on the front page of the paper (as he was today) endorsing the PAC 16, Ithink that shows it's a done deal.

John Kochtoston
6/9/2010, 03:21 PM
While I think Boren's political connections are incredibly helpful to the conference, Boren had nothing to do with the lawsuit against the NCAA in 1983-84. That was OU and Georgia, with financial backing from several other schools. Boren was a first-term Senator when all of that happened.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 03:22 PM
Herr, you are right on the money with this one. OU and UT literally created the Big XII, and if you think Dodds and Texas are dictating what happens in the current situation, you are sorely mistaken. I can guarantee that OU and UT have worked together behind the scenes on all of this. I can also guarantee that the Pac-10 thing is that they want UT, OU, and CU (although I can't imagine why they want CU), and are willing to take A&M and hold their noses and accept OSU and Tech to get them.

We are on the same page -- no way that Pres Boren was not 100% involved in this from the beginning. This is the man who took on the NCAA so no way was he sitting by watching this happen. From the Stoops interview you can read between the lines this has been in the works. I will bet that unofficial meeting in AZ about TV contracts was more about the combing of schools.

OU/TX are joined at the hip on this deal IMHO!

Dio
6/9/2010, 03:23 PM
If NE thinks TX is arrogant, then just wait until OSU gets them. I grew up in Ohio and there is not a more arrogant school outside of maybe Notre Dame or USC and not sure about that than Ohio State.

We lived in SoCal and didn't see near the arrogance that I saw with OSU.

NE is about to get an eye opener because if Michigan resurges in football, they join OSU as being arrogant. OSU runs that conference.

You will never convince me that Texas runs the Big 12 without Pres Boren having a large say -- he is not as vocal as TX, but you can bet he is right there.

Michigan is UT without the lovely ladies. Full of themselves for absolutely no reason.

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.morethings.com/fan/simpsons/images/excellent.jpg

To stir things up with the Corn... suppose the Big 10/11 insists that Nebbish begin play in 2011.

The Big 12 is set up for reciprocal home and home games. The Texas game for them promises to be very lucrative. So, what financial penalty can we assert for Nebraska defaulting on its contractual obligation for a return trip to Austin?

Perhaps the Big 12 will require Nebraska to forfeit all conference games this year?

This could be delicious!!!

soonerx7
6/9/2010, 03:24 PM
Why isn't there any talk of expanding the BIG XII to XVI?
Colorado State, Iowa, Houston, and TCU?

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 03:24 PM
While I think Boren's political connections are incredibly helpful to the conference, Boren had nothing to do with the lawsuit against the NCAA in 1983-84. That was OU and Georgia, with financial backing from several other schools. Boren was a first-term Senator when all of that happened.

I had a memory lapse when I said that. He was not a political newcomer. He was a former Governor so he was not shall we say sitting idly by while OU took on the NCAA. He was also a lawyer who always put OU first.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 03:25 PM

Because it would be a weak conference!

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2010, 03:25 PM

And why? Beats me. They are a bunch of jort wearing, bowl haircut sporting, buckeye on a necklace donning, couch burning, unwashed heathen.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:26 PM
Too bad we'll lose the rivalry with Nebraska but with our new conference, I just don't see us playing Neb. every year. Especially when you consider the ooc teams we're scheduled to play already. FLA. St., ND, Ten, Tosu and Gawgia.

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2010, 03:26 PM

Agree. Boren and Castiglione are tools.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:27 PM
Because it would be a weak conference!

They bring in no new money, this conference could exist competitively with those schools being added. Its still all about the $$$$

tommieharris91
6/9/2010, 03:27 PM

You mean Iowa State, right? There's 0 way Iowa is leavin right now.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2010, 03:28 PM
I had a memory lapse when I said that. He was not a political newcomer. He was a former Governor so he was not shall we say sitting idly by while OU took on the NCAA. He was also a lawyer who always put OU first.

Also has the distinction of being a named party in a rather important Supreme Court case, though on the losing side. Craig v. Boren 429 US 190 (1979). At least its an important enough case that it's included in a lot of Con Law casebooks. The Court, in striking down OK's law allowing sales of liquor to women 18-21 but not men under 21, held that third parties may assert standing in certain circumstances and that the 21st Amendment does not give states the right to discriminate on gender lines wrt liquor sales.

Dan Thompson
6/9/2010, 03:31 PM
I hope OU can recurit out here and get some more of the better players.

SoonerAtKU
6/9/2010, 03:40 PM
Agree. Boren and Castiglione are tools.

I, too, miss the days of OU being a shameful academic institution AND settling for mediocre sports performances. Isn't it awesome here in 1993?

Dio
6/9/2010, 03:49 PM
See you in the Rose Bowl sometime, Bugeaters.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 03:56 PM
If Bob Stoops is on the front page of the paper (as he was today) endorsing the PAC 16, Ithink that shows it's a done deal.

^^^ Agree 100%!! Stoops wouldn't be out endorsing the idea if we weren't going. He's a play close to the vest guy, so this is a done deal, IMHO.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 03:59 PM
And why? Beats me. They are a bunch of jort wearing, bowl haircut sporting, buckeye on a necklace donning, couch burning, unwashed heathen.

Good stuff, sir. :D :D :D

HBick
6/9/2010, 04:02 PM
Let's just add TCU to the South, move OU to the North and then we can play for the Big XII title every single year at Jerry World. :D

I don't want this, because I don't want to lose another rivalry. OU Texas is crucial for both schools to be in the National Title hunt. Losing Nebraska sucks, but I'll be damned if the sooners are relegated to playing the aggies each year.

OU Texas, Florida-Georgia, Alabama-Tenn, Ohio St.-Michigan. Those are the biggest rivalries in football. USC-UCLA is an afterthought.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 04:04 PM
I agree. The UT/OU game should never leave the Cotton Bowl in October.

TUSooner
6/9/2010, 04:09 PM
Nebbish SHOULD join the rest of the Big Slow conference.

Srsly, I'm sorry to see them (and the Big 12) go, but I think it's the right move for NU.

Leroy Lizard
6/9/2010, 04:11 PM
I love thread titles like "Nebraska is Gone!!!" Only to find out that it is unconfirmed. Once we get confirmation, do we start a new thread?

John Kochtoston
6/9/2010, 04:12 PM
Also has the distinction of being a named party in a rather important Supreme Court case, though on the losing side. Craig v. Boren 429 US 190 (1979). At least its an important enough case that it's included in a lot of Con Law casebooks. The Court, in striking down OK's law allowing sales of liquor to women 18-21 but not men under 21, held that third parties may assert standing in certain circumstances and that the 21st Amendment does not give states the right to discriminate in interstate commerce wrt liquor sales.

Yep. Can't remember if she actually argued it, but Ruth Bader Ginsburg was behind this, as part of a wider legal strategy to get equal protections for women under the law. It was pretty smart, as it targeted laws that discriminated between men and women, but men were on the bad end of the discrimination.

And, I'm really pretty sure Boren had little, if anything to do with OU's suit against the NCAA. He was more worried about Soviet missles and the federal budget at the time.

westbrooke
6/9/2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure why it's taken this long for it to sink in for me, but I'm suddenly very excited about the idea of getting to smack Lane Kiffin around every few years. Despite the fact that we've had good teams and legendary Sooners since 04, I can't help feeling like USC has had our balls frozen in carbonite since the Game That Never Happened. I look forward to taking them back and slapping Kiffin across the face with them.

htownsooner7
6/9/2010, 04:18 PM
Too bad we'll lose the rivalry with Nebraska but with our new conference, I just don't see us playing Neb. every year. Especially when you consider the ooc teams we're scheduled to play already. FLA. St., ND, Ten, Tosu and Gawgia.

Interestingly, I don't think our conference schedule gets any tougher. Replacing 3 teams from the Big 12 North with Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State isn't that bad. The way I see it, it will set up the same way as always: Beat the whorns and we're in the Pac 16 championship. Win the Pac 16 championship and you've got a great shot at being in the BCS National Championship, even with a loss.

rawlingsHOH
6/9/2010, 04:23 PM
Interestingly, I don't think our conference schedule gets any tougher. Replacing 3 teams from the Big 12 North with Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State isn't that bad. The way I see it, it will set up the same way as always: Beat the whorns and we're in the Pac 16 championship. Win the Pac 16 championship and you've got a great shot at being in the BCS National Championship, even with a loss.
Have you taken into account the crossover games? I'd assume we'd play 7 divisional games and at least 2 crossovers.

Dio
6/9/2010, 04:25 PM
Unless we had to play both crossover games against USC every year, I don't see a huge problem there.

soonerboomer93
6/9/2010, 04:27 PM
So we'd have to face USC or Oregon (in one of their occasional good years) 2 out of every 8 ?

sooner59
6/9/2010, 04:31 PM
Its a done deal. ESPN just confirmed it in Breaking News. Says Osborne already told the team of the move.

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 04:31 PM
Orangebloods is reporting that the board has formally accepted the move.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2010, 04:32 PM
Yep. Can't remember if she actually argued it, but Ruth Bader Ginsburg was behind this, as part of a wider legal strategy to get equal protections for women under the law. It was pretty smart, as it targeted laws that discriminated between men and women, but men were on the bad end of the discrimination.

And, I'm really pretty sure Boren had little, if anything to do with OU's suit against the NCAA. He was more worried about Soviet missles and the federal budget at the time.

Huh. My Civ Pro professor clerked for Ginsburg. I'll have to ask her about it.

royalfan5
6/9/2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.morethings.com/fan/simpsons/images/excellent.jpg

To stir things up with the Corn... suppose the Big 10/11 insists that Nebbish begin play in 2011.

The Big 12 is set up for reciprocal home and home games. The Texas game for them promises to be very lucrative. So, what financial penalty can we assert for Nebraska defaulting on its contractual obligation for a return trip to Austin?

Perhaps the Big 12 will require Nebraska to forfeit all conference games this year?

This could be delicious!!!
We will write a check if it comes to that.

soonervegas
6/9/2010, 04:33 PM

Except instead of facing a 7-4 Colorado team we will be facing a 11-1 SC team for the title.

Good news is once we learn how to win THOSE kinds of games the NC's will start flowing again.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2010, 04:34 PM

Whoops. I inadvertently cast it as a DCC case rather than an EP case. Conflated it with Granholm v. Heald.

Dio
6/9/2010, 04:37 PM
Except instead of facing a 7-4 Colorado team we will be facing a 11-1 SC team for the title.

...or we'll face whichever P16 West team slips into the CCG when SC s***s the bed again.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 04:38 PM
Orangebloods is reporting that the board has formally accepted the move.

ESPN NCAAF - Mortensen: Source says Nebraska AD Tom Osborne informed staff that school will make move to Big Ten

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2010, 04:44 PM
ESPN NCAAF - Mortensen: Source says Nebraska AD Tom Osborne informed staff that school will make move to Big Ten

Starting when?

TahoeSOONER
6/9/2010, 04:57 PM
R.I.P. Big Red Rivalry.

Another CFB and Sooner tradition spoiled by money.

sooner59
6/9/2010, 05:00 PM
Glad I made the trip to Lincoln last year......even though I didn't like the outcome. At least I got that experience before this happened.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 05:01 PM
What if the Big 10 just went to 12 teams, only adding NU and then the PAC 10 only invited Colorado and Utah?

BoomerSooner3
6/9/2010, 05:01 PM
Uh, no. Nebraska's move to the Big 10 gives OU the opportunity to make the OU-Nebraska game a permanent OOC game. Anyone that wants to play Nebraska every year should be in favor of this.

TahoeSOONER
6/9/2010, 05:05 PM
I hope the Big 12 stays together, OU moves to the north, and we get two chances to slap Texas around a year.

OU_Sooners75
6/9/2010, 05:05 PM

No they dont....They have one vote...just like OU and the rest of the conference.

rainiersooner
6/9/2010, 05:07 PM

And every time they come to Seattle on the cruise ships, their entire 400 pound per person family has to wear matching Buckeye shirts - just so they can find each other. Have fun Nebbish - too bad!!!

Personally, I'm stoked. To me, the current Texas rivalry is much more relevant than the Nebraska rivalry. Plus, I like Nebraska's fans and it's much more fun to have a rivalry with a fan base that is full of wankers (present company excepted, of course).

John Kochtoston
6/9/2010, 05:11 PM
Uh, no. Nebraska's move to the Big 10 gives OU the opportunity to make the OU-Nebraska game a permanent OOC game. Anyone that wants to play Nebraska every year should be in favor of this.

Not for a while. I'm not sure OU's going to want to play a resurgent Nebraska along with our upcoming OOC schedule (ND, Tenn, Fla. St., TCU).

Widescreen
6/9/2010, 05:12 PM

So we'll likely have only 3 OOC games/year. I don't want one of them locked up against Nebraska or anyone else. Occasional series would be good though.

OU_Sooners75
6/9/2010, 05:19 PM
Why doesnt the PAC offer the 6 best schools from the Big 12?

Missouri is uncertain...but who cares about those booger eaters.

Why wouldnt they offer the 6 best athletic programs that generate a lot of money?

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Kansas
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Colorado

Now about the money aspect.

Adding Texas would add a ton over TVs, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and a huge following of fans.

Adding Oklahoma gives you some smaller TV markets (OKC and Tulsa). But it also gives you more TV sets in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Adding Oklahoma give you a very good fan base with some very deep pockets.

Adding KU you gain at least 50% of the KC TV market (KSU fans do watch KU football and basketball). KU would also cut into a pretty big chunk of the Omaha TV market.

Okie State would add very little as in TV sets. But they would bring 46 national championships to an already national championship driven conference. Not to mention deep pockets from some very loyal boosters.

Texas A&M would add just as much, maybe a little more, as Okie Lite. But it seems Texas and A&M are attached at the hip.

Colorado would bring in the Denver Market. Though their athletic programs are down, they do have a big fan base.

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/9/2010, 05:21 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs639.snc3/32062_818641738327_9605975_44391479_2850648_n.jpg

OU_Sooners75
6/9/2010, 05:22 PM

Why in the hell would Iowa want to leave a $22 million/year TV deal to go to a conference where there is no TV deal and you have to fend for yourself?

No matter how full their stadiums are or arent, Iowa will be guaranteed $22 million/year until the Big 10 TV contract is restructured.

Salt City Sooner
6/9/2010, 05:24 PM
We don't have UGA scheduled (although I'd like to as they've never played each other).

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 05:29 PM
We don't have UGA scheduled (although I'd like to as they've never played each other).
Maybe I just heard it was in the works but the point is the same. Screw Nebraska.

OK2U
6/9/2010, 05:52 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs639.snc3/32062_818641738327_9605975_44391479_2850648_n.jpg

Nice laser-disc collection

PDXsooner
I couldn't be happier if we actually join the Pac-whatever. And I find it hilarious that one of the original teams responsible for this (Missouri) may get left in the cold.

JLEW1818
So what year does this start?

sooner59
6/9/2010, 05:53 PM
Mizzou should be forced to join Conference USA. :D

sooner59
6/9/2010, 05:58 PM
So what year does this start?

by Chip Brown

Texas coaches meet with AD, President
Sources: Nebraska's gone, Texas next?
Deadline given to one of Big 12 schools to stay or go
A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com Wednesday Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten and will make a formal announcement on Friday. Several sources in the Big 12 South have said if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 is dead. Texas president William Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds gathered up its coaches Wednesday and told them UT did all it could to save the Big 12 but was unsuccessful. Six Big 12 schools being invited by the Pac-10 for expansion - Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado - are all expected to accept and begin play in the country's first super conference in 2012. It's the latest bombshell from the source that broke the story - Orangebloods.com.

Thats the only thing I have seen that spoke about a date.

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/9/2010, 06:05 PM
Nice laser-disc collection

Laser-Disc? The guy I buy these from says the BIG dvds are better...;)

OUmillenium
6/9/2010, 06:10 PM
I'm all for going back to the old Big 8, especially for basketball scheduling purposes. I hate the Big 12 bask sched where we only play the north teams once.

Would get Nebraskared back on the yearly football schedule as well.

JLEW1818
6/9/2010, 06:13 PM
by Chip Brown

Texas coaches meet with AD, President
Sources: Nebraska's gone, Texas next?
Deadline given to one of Big 12 schools to stay or go
A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com Wednesday Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten and will make a formal announcement on Friday. Several sources in the Big 12 South have said if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 is dead. Texas president William Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds gathered up its coaches Wednesday and told them UT did all it could to save the Big 12 but was unsuccessful. Six Big 12 schools being invited by the Pac-10 for expansion - Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado - are all expected to accept and begin play in the country's first super conference in 2012. It's the latest bombshell from the source that broke the story - Orangebloods.com.

Thats the only thing I have seen that spoke about a date.

yah,
the travel really wouldn't be too bad.

say 9 conference games.

we play ut,tamu,poke st, tech, colorado for sure. so that's 5, 2 west coast trips, 2 other at home, non-conference

SoonerGrant
6/9/2010, 06:16 PM
Espn says a formal announcement of accepting big 10 offer will be held tomorrow

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:21 PM
yah,

say 9 conference games.

we play ut,tamu,poke st, tech, colorado for sure. so that's 5, 2 west coast trips, 2 other at home, non-conference

If that happened, we would only play each west coast team 2 out of 6 years. I think that math is right. Yeah, travel wouldn't be terrible. Now for other sports....different story. Lots of travel.

yermom
6/9/2010, 06:22 PM
most likely a trip to Arizona every year, then somewhere else on the West Coast

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:25 PM
^ That

We would travel to either Tuscon or Tempe every year and one other school in the Pac 10 every year

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I forgot about probably being in with the Arizona schools. In that case, we may only play the actual west coast teams 2 out of 8 years. That or we take another trip or two each season. That doesn't excite me much.

Collier11
Remember, the 96 team ncaa tourney was a done deal also, nothing is written in stone yet. Still a lot of posturing

TexasLidig8r
yah,

say 9 conference games.

Nah...

Plains Division

Texas
Ou
sand aggy
aggy
buffs
arizona
arizona st.
okie lite (I forgot them.. that's not too hard to do)

Pacific Division

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Oregon St
Udbu
Wazzo
Stanford
Cal Berzerkly

You play all your division opponents every year, alternating home and home.

You play one outside division team on the road and one at home.

To alleviate too much time going by, you stagger the scheduling.

For example.

2012 -- USC at home UCLA on the road
2013 -- Oregon at home, Oregon State on the road
2014 -- UCLA at home USC on the road
2015 -- Oregon on the road Oregon State at home

So a maximum of 4 years elapse between playing teams.

3 non-conference games still.

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:29 PM
I'm already confusing myself with math. I need a beer so I can sit down and think about this. ;)

But yeah, Lid may have it.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:32 PM
BTW, Kirk Bohls is reporting that nebraska has NO formal invitation

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 06:37 PM
What if instead of two 8 team divisions, you have four 4 team divisions? It would most likely be the washington and oregon teams in the North Division, the cali teams in the West Division, the arizona teams and colorado and Tech in the Central Division, and OU, Texas, A&M and OSU in the East Division.

I'm completely making up rules as I go now but the way it could work would be to rotate division matchups each year. So the first year the North would play the West and the Central would play the East, then the winners of each would meet up in teh CCG. The next year, the North would play the Central and the West would play the East. Again the winners would play in the CCG. And finally the North would play the East and the West would play the Central.

This to me would be better than just pitting two divisions against each other and creating two 8 team conferences. You wouldn't be stuck waiting upwards of 8 years to play intra division rivals. Plus it would seemingly add some excitement to the CCG and allow more teams a shot at it.

Again, I've never heard anyone mention this but I just thought it sounded cool.

freshchris05
6/9/2010, 06:42 PM
or how about they just drop osu and tech, because out of Lubbock and stillwater, who cares?

actually i take that back... i would love to see the likes of cal or stanford visiting stillwater haha... yes

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:43 PM
Well, that would be interesting.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:44 PM
or how about they just drop osu and tech, because out of Lubbock and stillwater, who cares?

actually i take that back... i would love to see the likes of cal or stanford visiting stillwater haha... yes

yea cus west coast folk dont already think mid westerners are the bottom part of the gene pool, cant wait til they visit stillwater and lubbock

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 06:49 PM
FWIT the rival between NU and OU that you keep referring to was stopped when the Big XII was formed.

I think that was one of the shortsighted things that lead to this.

This is a great opportunity for the Huskers. If they didn't do it now it would never happen.

I'd love to see the Big XII replace NU and it might happen if Mizzou doesn't get an offer.

JLEW1818
6/9/2010, 06:51 PM
can tcu just join then north, and everybody be happy ?

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:53 PM
I dont see how Nebraska is so irreplaceable that we have to implode the Big 12?

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 06:55 PM
It's not so much that NU is irreplaceable, it's that a Nebraska-less B12, and really any B12, cannot generate the revenue that a Big Pac will generate.

Just simple physics.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 06:56 PM
I dont see how Nebraska is so irreplaceable that we have to implode the Big 12?

Who would you replace them with? Plus, it's about money too. The south teams are tired of getting $9 -$10 million when other crappy big 10 teams like Northwestern are getting $20 million.

This is a business move that makes a lot of sense for Nebraska and all the south teams. It's not such a hot idea if you're Kansas, K State, Iowa State etc..

Collier11
6/9/2010, 07:03 PM
The TV contract is only good for 2 more years, if they worked this well we could pick up a school (not sure who) maybe drop neb and mizzou and pick up az and az state? I dont know, I just dont like the idea of super conferences, I think it is bad for the sport and I dont think it will end well

SEO Sooner
6/9/2010, 07:05 PM
Looks like Mizzou may be left out like KU KSU and Iowa St.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 07:10 PM
The TV contract is only good for 2 more years, if they worked this well we could pick up a school (not sure who) maybe drop neb and mizzou and pick up az and az state? I dont know, I just dont like the idea of super conferences, I think it is bad for the sport and I dont think it will end well

This. Only right now the Big 12's bargaining position sucks. We will be hard
pressed to find a name as big as Nebraska. We should be trying like hell to peel a school like Arkansas away and letting the SEC fill the gap with a Big East or ACC school. Bottom line is we have to expand our footprint, TCU won't do that.

Widescreen
6/9/2010, 07:13 PM
You people that keep clinging to the possibility of keeping the Big 12 together need to return to reality. The Big 12 is done.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 07:21 PM
You people that keep clinging to the possibility of keeping the Big 12 together need to return to reality. The Big 12 is done.

Suck it Trebek. I'll hang on to my delusions as long as my therapist sees fit and as long as I have a nice supply of Xanax.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 07:48 PM
Nebraska is irreplaceable. The Big XII just died. Everyone just please blame them and not us.

Soonez
6/9/2010, 07:51 PM
Can you imagine all of the uppity PAC 10 schools going to stoolwater! Hillarious. Hope they don't get raped by inbreds.

HBick
6/9/2010, 08:01 PM
Can you imagine all of the uppity PAC 10 schools going to stoolwater! Hillarious. Hope they don't get raped by inbreds.

:pop:

Soonez
6/9/2010, 08:02 PM
Nebraska is irreplaceable. The Big XII just died. Everyone just please blame them and not us.

I personally blame missouri. And Nebraska. And texas just because. And also big oil. Who cares whose fault. Nebraska will continue to be mediocre, Missouri will be in the mountain west. And texas will say how great they are And have little hardware to prove it. I say bring 'em all on. Boomer!

NormanPride
6/9/2010, 08:03 PM

UT 10, NU 12 with no time left on the clock!

(this is baj, not NP, so send your neg spek to me if you disagree, but that reffing call, even if it was the correct one, was the one that was the final straw for Nebraska sticking with Texassssscentric conference for much longer)

Big 12, so long and thanks for all of the fish. [/hitchhiker's]

NormanPride
6/9/2010, 08:09 PM
And now this is NP. This sucks. I liked the Big 12...

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 08:10 PM

Exactly! No doubt in my mind after Stoops article today that this is a done deal for OU and others to go to the PAC 10!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/9/2010, 08:14 PM
I almost added them but Okie State, despite their money has very little clout. Enough to be added but not much more.

Oh My God! If we join the Pac-whatever, that means 2 teams with Orange and Black colors. How will we retain our eyes! ;) How will OSU be able to distinguish from OSU? Knowing aggie, this could be fun...

Mizzou looks screwed...

I will miss my semi-annual trek to Waco for a nice football weekend and a game in a friendly venue.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 08:15 PM

Everyone in our conference tried their best and gave Missouri and Nebraska a second chance. In the end, Nebraska couldn't turn down the coin. It was a business decision and I don't fault them in the least. I do laugh that Missouri started all this and now their future is in jeopardy. They could end up losing money in this deal. :D :D

Lastly, I think we would have all agreed to stay, but the money would have to be there. You just can't get over a $10 million dollar raise. OU & Texas were the only ones bringing in the money and we weren't appreciated. Oh well... see ya Big 12. :cool:

Herr Scholz
Texassssscentric conference
Yeah, that worked out very well for us in the tiebreaker in '08 and the subsequent vote to change the tiebreaker rule. We obviously tell the Big XII what time it is. :rolleyes:

nytehorn
Personally, I know there is no invite yet, but I would LOVE to see TX and OU join the SEC. A lot closer games, and screw the rest of the Big 12!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/9/2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that worked out very well for us in the tiebreaker in '08 and the subsequent vote to change the tiebreaker rule. We obviously tell the Big XII what time it is. :rolleyes:

Herr, I gotta go with you on this one. I think OU and UT have business interests and work well together that way (AD and Pres level). The vote on the rules, just allows the most viable team and the one with the highest ranking to go forward (i.e. = $$$), not engineer a decision. Tough luck to UT, but if it were turned on OU, the decision would have been the same.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/9/2010, 08:22 PM
Personally, I know there is no invite yet, but I would LOVE to see TX and OU join the SEC. A lot closer games, and screw the rest of the Big 12!

^^^
This - as much as I hate the SEC.

NormanPride
6/9/2010, 08:25 PM
Closer games in the SEC? Georgia? Florida? Alabama as a division foe every year? Those are far away places to me. :D

soonerbub
6/9/2010, 08:27 PM
Anyone else find it ironic that Stoops is so "on board" now when we were gonna not go to Washington after we got ducked?

nytehorn
6/9/2010, 08:28 PM
We will be playing in the SEC West...LSU,Arkie, Ole Miss...lot closer than Arizona and Arizona St...and a lot more hospitable! LOL

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 08:28 PM
Herr, I gotta go with you on this one. I think OU and UT have business interests and work well together that way (AD and Pres level). The vote on the rules, just allows the most viable team and the one with the highest ranking to go forward (i.e. = $$$), not engineer a decision. Tough luck to UT, but if it were turned on OU, the decision would have been the same.
Totally, I just get tired of every gripe anybody had in the Big XII being blamed on us. It's like people want to think Deloss Dodds is the all powerful emperor or something. Ridiculous.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/9/2010, 08:32 PM
I think Joe C and Dodds are quite powerful. Dodds seems to have a bigger than life personality while Joe C is quiet. That probably is more of the difference than anything else.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 08:33 PM

I wanted this at first, but then I realized what that would mean. Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU,Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss and then throw in Texas and OU.

Sorry, but that's too much competition. Both schools national title chances would be hurt. I don't think that would beneift any of the above listed schools. The new PAC/BIG 16 will be tough enough with Oregon, USC, OU and Texas.

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 08:34 PM

(this is baj, not NP, so send your neg spek to me if you disagree, but that reffing call, even if it was the correct one, was the one that was the final straw for Nebraska sticking with Texassssscentric conference for much longer)

Big 12, so long and thanks for all of the fish. [/hitchhiker's]

As much fun as it is watching the texas fan shout over and over and over it's not our fault, it really isn't about texas at all.

This is about Nebraska and an opportunity to move into an established, well organized, elite conference. Given an opportunity any team from the Big XII would jump at the chance. It is just too good to pass up.

Salt City Sooner
6/9/2010, 08:37 PM
The Freek strikes again:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/TSB/Nebraska_Big10_Bound.gif

nytehorn
6/9/2010, 08:41 PM
You have to look at the divisions!!! No matter where we all go. TX and OU would NOT play FL, or GA, or Miami(if they joined), but every 2 or 3 yrs! Look at the conferences by region.

My Opinion Matters
6/9/2010, 08:43 PM
As much fun as it is watching the texas fan shout over and over and over it's not our fault, it really isn't about texas at all.

This is about Nebraska and an opportunity to move into an established, well organized, elite conference. Given an opportunity any team from the Big XII would jump at the chance. It is just too good to pass up.

Don't kid yourself, this is about Nebraska making a last ditch effort to remain competitive and relevant, while getting a pay raise as the icing on the cake.

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 08:55 PM
Don't kid yourself, this is about Nebraska making a last ditch effort to remain competitive and relevant, while getting a pay raise as the icing on the cake.

Yes you must be right! Clearly Nebraska would never have been competitive in the Big XII again.

Bo should just give up on the idea of winning it this year!

Soonez
6/9/2010, 08:59 PM

Exactly. They can't recruit Texas and they can't hand out steroids like before so big 10 is only way to stay competitive. Maybe.

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 09:08 PM
Exactly. They can't recruit Texas and they can't hand out steroids like before so big 10 is only way to stay competitive. Maybe.

It is really funny that recruiting texas keeps coming up.

First it is we shouldn't leave because we wouldn't be able to recruit texas, now we are leaving because we can't recruit texas.

The truth of the matter is until Bo chose to make texas recruiting a priority it never was. Even in the best years.

http://www.cornnation.com/2010/5/13/1470132/does-playing-in-the-big-12

My Opinion Matters
6/9/2010, 09:10 PM
Yes you must be right! Clearly Nebraska would never have been competitive in the Big XII again.

Bo should just give up on the idea of winning it this year!

Do you honestly believe the Big 10 is perceived as some exclusive fraternity that envious institutions are beating down the door to get in? GMAFB. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of Lincoln or Omaha that believes that there's a soul beneath the Southern border of Kansas that is the least bit jealous of Nebraska's "upgrade" to the Big 10. There's a reason Texas and Notre Dame have turned down the Big 10's overtures: The Big 10 needs them more than they need the Big 10.

We're not bitter, we're sure as hell not jealous. Hell, we're happy that you're delaying your slide into obsolescence.

icmwhOU72
6/9/2010, 09:14 PM
I honestly wouldnt mind seeing six big 12 schools go to the pac 10. I think that the pac 10 is actrually doing us and OSU a huge favor by including us. It is so smart by the pac 10. I think they know it would have to be a package deal If they just offered tx and atm and they left, OU would be in the same boat as KSU and kansas. I would love to have an alternating schedule the suc on it and get to remind oregon they still suck. Also we could do whatever we wanted and our conference would just sweep it under the table and we wont ever get in trouble

Stitch Face
6/9/2010, 09:18 PM
Do you honestly believe the Big 10 is perceived as some exclusive fraternity that envious institutions are beating down the door to get in? GMAFB.

Are the Big 10 teams competitive? Not so much.

Are Big 10 games exciting to watch? No, if you watched the Big 10 network on a black-and-white TV you'd never know who was playing because they all play the same boring old-skool ball.

Is the Big 10 "elite?" Yes, from a tradition standpoint, just like Notre Dame is considered "elite." Tradition counts for a lot in CFB.

Come to think of it, NU moving to the Big 10 is a perfect fit.

royalfan5
6/9/2010, 09:20 PM

Are Big 10 games exciting to watch? No, if you watched the Big 10 network on a black-and-white TV you'd never know who was playing because they all play the same boring old-skool ball.

Is the Big 10 "elite?" Yes, from a tradition standpoint, just like Notre Dame is considered "elite." Tradition counts for a lot in CFB.

For me the biggest key to this whole move is that my hatred of Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa is perfectly rational.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 09:23 PM

If Colt had taken 1 second longer throwing that incomplete pass maybe all of this wouldnt be happening, it is still your fault :D

Eielson
6/9/2010, 09:25 PM

Elite? When did Nebraska's standards drop to Oklahoma State's level?

My Opinion Matters
6/9/2010, 09:26 PM

Oh, I totally agree, it's practically a match made in heaven. I think it's a good move for Nebraska, I just find it amusing there's Bugeaters already going with the old "I'm just so honored to be even be here!" beauty pageant response.

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 09:26 PM
Do you honestly believe the Big 10 is perceived as some exclusive fraternity that envious institutions are beating down the door to get in? GMAFB. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of Lincoln or Omaha that believes that there's a soul beneath the Southern border of Kansas that is the least bit jealous of Nebraska's "upgrade" to the Big 10. There's a reason Texas and Notre Dame have turned down the Big 10's overtures: The Big 10 needs them more than they need the Big 10.

We're not bitter, we're sure as hell not jealous. Hell, we're happy that you're delaying your slide into obsolescence.

And I should be wanting to join the Pac 10?

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 09:27 PM
If Colt had taken 1 second longer throwing that incomplete pass maybe all of this wouldnt be happening, it is still your fault :D

Yeah, that was almost the biggest boneheaded move of all time. It's still Suh's fault for rushing him on that play. Let him run around back there and nebbish wins.

My Opinion Matters
6/9/2010, 09:28 PM
And I should be wanting to join the Pac 10?

Sorry, you weren't invited. :D

Collier11
6/9/2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah, that was almost the biggest boneheaded move of all time. It's still Suh's fault for rushing him on that play. Let him run around back there and nebbish wins.

Finally a tex fan admits it. Thank You

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 09:33 PM
Sorry, you weren't invited. :D

Oh man I just can't win here!;)

I think I'll go back to Iowa's board.:D

OUstud
6/9/2010, 09:37 PM
Sorry if this has been asked, but if this all comes to fruition, when do the new conferences go into effect? 2011-12?

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 09:38 PM

This.

Face it. She's gone. And she's not coming back. It's somewhat of a sad day but it's time to move on. The last thing I want to do is try to hang on to a loser conference with a complete imbecile for a commish that wont be able to demand any TV money and will always be known as the conference that no one wanted to fight for.

Jdog
6/9/2010, 09:42 PM
Boren opened TV?

Thought he was still in the senate when that happened

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 09:43 PM
I will miss my semi-annual trek to Waco for a nice football weekend and a game in a friendly venue.

Crap, I hadn't thought about that. I haven't missed a game in Waco in a decade. (one perk of having a bunch of Baylor friends)

I will def miss that. :(

Collier11
6/9/2010, 09:45 PM
Time for a nice slew of emails to Beebe?

GimmeRed
6/9/2010, 09:54 PM
Time for a nice slew of emails to Beebe?

What would you tell him that he doesn't already know?

Dear Beebe please quit sucking?

Stitch Face
6/9/2010, 09:57 PM
This thread is about, like, five different things.

47straight
6/9/2010, 10:02 PM

http://nittanywhiteout.com/2010/06/04/adding-texas-the-texas-tech-dilemma/

You started it. Nebraska finished it. No amount of leaking to the jocksniffers at orangebloods will erase those emails.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 10:13 PM
You started it. Nebraska finished it.
So wrong. 9 schools said they were loyal to the Big XII this week. Mizzou, nebraska and CU were the ones who abstained. The corn killed this conference, not us.

Mizzou and nebraska have been begging on hand and knee over the past 6 months to get a bid to the Big 10. Texas has been making backup plans out of self preservation. Everyone knows this. We were the ones trying to keep this thing together. This conference has been good to us, why would we want to leave? We were about to launch our own tv network.

HBick
6/9/2010, 10:14 PM
lol at the big 12 dying. i mean we were told this was inevitable for the past two weeks, but the only factor was the time table. thank god for the internet, otherwise this could of come out of nowhere (in 1995 for example).

oh and hahahahaha at the canadians who are being interviewed on NBC

John Kochtoston
6/9/2010, 10:25 PM
Boren opened TV?

He was.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 10:37 PM
Boren opened TV?

I corrected it -- he was in the Senate but his advise was also sought -- we didn't live in OK when it happened but kept hearing that former Governor David Boren played a huge part in what happened with the TV networks.

Hunyock
6/9/2010, 11:12 PM
Sounding like a done deal up here in Omaha. We will know more on Friday around 1:00.

Lincoln, Neb. — The agenda for the June 11, 2010, meeting of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents has been updated to include the following:

The Board will convene at 1:00 p.m. and receive public comments relating to UNL athletic conference alignment. The Board will be briefed on conference alignment and consider a resolution on the subject.

The subject of conference alignment will not be addressed in the committee meetings that take place in the morning. It will be addressed early in the Board agenda that begins at 1:00 p.m.

This is more than an athletic issue here. NU would be looking at a lot more money in research grants by joining the Big Televen++

JPNSKER
6/9/2010, 11:15 PM

Unfortunately, our D did just that against VT earlier in the year. Didn't work so well either way.

JPNSKER
6/9/2010, 11:21 PM
So wrong. 9 schools said they were loyal to the Big XII this week. Mizzou, nebraska and CU were the ones who abstained. The corn killed this conference, not us.

Mizzou and nebraska have been begging on hand and knee over the past 6 months to get a bid to the Big 10. Texas has been making backup plans out of self preservation. Everyone knows this. We were the ones trying to keep this thing together. This conference has been good to us, why would we want to leave? We were about to launch our own tv network.

Keep telling yourself that. The bolded part says it all about ut.:rolleyes: How about launching a Big12 network, instead of a horns-only version??

And while we're on it, I keep hearing about how ut is in control of everything and the whole thing is going according to plan, yet you want to blame NU for the conference demise??? LOL!

I will miss the big8 teams, that's for sure, but as far as I'm concerned, ut can suck it.:)

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:28 PM
Keep telling yourself that. The bolded part says it all about ut.:rolleyes: How about launching a Big12 network, instead of a horns-only version??
How about you realize that your school voted against a Big12 network too? Your fanbase has shown a ridiculous lack of knowledge this past week and a half.

You killed the conference. Quit trying to blame us.

JPNSKER
6/9/2010, 11:42 PM
How about you realize that your school voted against a Big12 network too? Your fanbase has shown a ridiculous lack of knowledge this past week and a half.

I'm thinking it had something to do with the actual disbursement of funds to the lesser teams, than anything else.

ut has always thrown it's weight around for the most shares. I'm fine with that, because that's exactly what NU is doing now.

Blame us. Could really care less, myself.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking it had something to do with the actual disbursement of funds to the lesser teams, than anything else.

Your school also voted for the unequal revenue share rules as well.

Any other completely ignorant points you'd like to make, conference killer? Keep trying to blame us for killing the conference though. You left because you can't win here. Nothing else.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 11:48 PM
Lets just call it how it is and blame this on the incompetent fool Dan Beebe

Collier11
6/9/2010, 11:50 PM
Take a bite out of this little apple, it is now being reported that the SEC is going to make a last ditch play for Texas A&M, hmm?

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 11:51 PM

That's the understatement of the year!

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:54 PM
Take a bite out of this little apple, it is now being reported that the SEC is going to make a last ditch play for Texas A&M, hmm?

That'll never happen. To get Texas, you need UT and A&M. The aggy AD is just talking noise because he doesn't want to appear that he has to follow whatever UT does (he does). Byrne meets with Dodds tommorow. Non issue.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 11:55 PM
That'll never happen. To get Texas, you need UT and A&M. The aggy AD is just talking noise because he doesn't want to appear that he has to follow whatever UT does (he does). Byrne meets with Dodds tommorow. Non issue.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/aggies.options/index.html

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 12:10 AM

Most definitely, but I'll give you one guess which school has their hand up his *** making him talk.....

HBick
6/10/2010, 02:27 AM

This. As much as I dislike Texas, and their fans (sorry Herr), this does make sense. Texas A&M has 47K students, who knew that until the SI article? I sure as hell didn't, they are a non factor. It's embarrassing that they have been relegated to the Oklahoma State of Texas Schools. Sure, Lubbock is more like Stoolwater, but Texas A&M continually failing sounds about right.

Oh and I think the most important factor of all conference expansion talk, is that as of now (2:26am Thurs June 10, 2010) the Red River Shootout will remain intact. No one should overlook the importance of this.

Football Jim
6/10/2010, 02:48 AM
Good riddance to big red lite. I hope things go good for most of the remaining programs. KU,KSU,and ISU deserve better. Mizzou sucks so I couldn't care less about them.
I would like to see a version of the old Big 8 restart minus the obvious defections. KSU,KU,ISU,& MU could keep Baylor add TCU, CSU, WYO & BYU. That would be an interesting conference that could have enough clout to court BCS interest.

HBick
6/10/2010, 02:52 AM
Football Jim, I think your referring to an expanded MWC? They can say screw you Boise, and add KU, KSU and whoever else they desire

MeMyself&Me
6/10/2010, 08:12 AM
I don't know man... IF the SEC was to offer aTM, I could see them going. The Pac 10 is talking up potential new TV contracts while the SEC has them. And if the SEC feels the need to expand, I can see them making that offer.

I wonder what it would do the supposed Pac 10 offer. Do they now offer Kansas?

Phil
6/10/2010, 09:04 AM
Your school also voted for the unequal revenue share rules as well.

Any other completely ignorant points you'd like to make, conference killer? Keep trying to blame us for killing the conference though. You left because you can't win here. Nothing else.

This would be an appropriate place for this killer quote from TexAgs:

Unfortunately, cow isn't as stupid as she looks. She's a dirty old *****, but she knows her business well.

Big Red Ron
6/10/2010, 10:29 AM
Who cares if aTm goes to the SEC? I wouldn't miss those retarded, fake army boys with their goofy overalls and S&M paddles. Woot

47straight
6/10/2010, 10:46 AM

Too bad Ohio's Freedom of Information Act produced the e-mails discussing President Powers and his self-admitted "Tech Problem."

Oh wait, maybe he was having trouble with his computer.

No, he was talking about how to get to the Big 10. If he had a problem with his computer, he would have called India, not Columbus, Ohio. You call Columbus, Ohio, when you're trying to leave your conference.

But then, when the technicians in Columbus, Ohio, can't fix your "tech problem," and you start to feel sad that Mizzou and Nebraska don't have "tech problems," you leak information to a local "news" outlet to put pressure on Mizzou and Nebraska.

So far, it's just politics and looking out for #1. Everyone understands, noone would blame you.

But when you're a big, fat, hypocritical spoiled baby, then you blame Nebraska and Mizzou for doing what you did and claim you're for keeping the family together. The only difference is that they didn't have a "tech problem."

47straight
6/10/2010, 10:47 AM

Maybe Nebraska's allowed to change its mind. You know, sort of like when UT changed its mind about being interested in other conferences when its "tech problem" couldn't be solved?

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 10:54 AM
Too bad Ohio's Freedom of Information Act produced the e-mails discussing President Powers and his self-admitted "Tech Problem."

Oh wait, maybe he was having trouble with his computer.

No, he was talking about how to get to the Big 10. If he had a problem with his computer, he would have called India, not Columbus, Ohio. You call Columbus, Ohio, when you're trying to leave your conference.

But then, when the technicians in Columbus, Ohio, can't fix your "tech problem," and you start to feel sad that Mizzou and Nebraska don't have "tech problems," you leak information to a local "news" outlet to put pressure on Mizzou and Nebraska.

So far, it's just politics and looking out for #1. Everyone understands, noone would blame you.

But when you're a big, fat, hypocritical spoiled baby, then you blame Nebraska and Mizzou for doing what you did and claim you're for keeping the family together. The only difference is that they didn't have a "tech problem."

Bravo, 47. Apparently, they can't see the forest through the trees. It's obvious to the nation outside of orangeblood, what went down...

JPNSKER
6/10/2010, 12:19 PM
The interesting thing in all of this.....what if ut ends up heading to the big ten along with ND?

Colorado is already gone, so forget Baylor getting in the pac10. aTm's could head East. Is ut going to "drop" their step-children & join the big ten, as well? Hmmmmmmm..... I honestly can't wait to hear the spin if that plays out.:)

If that happened, does OU head to pac10? SEC along with aTm? Of course it's all speculation, but interesting enough to discuss....

PalmBeachSooner
6/10/2010, 12:45 PM

I'm positive Texas will still dictate what happens in the east division. I wouldn't be surprised if Beebe is given power to run the division.