PDA

View Full Version : Updates from Chip Brown and ESPN 104.9 The Horn

Mac94
6/9/2010, 01:56 PM
Listening this afternoon as they seem to be at the center of all of this and there are three updates:

1) Colorado does seem to have an offer from the Pac-10

2) Big-12 sources deny this but one media outlet (Fox affiliate in Ohio) is reporting an offical offer to Nebraska form the Big-10

3) There will be an important meeting tomorrow (Thursday) between Texas A&M and Texas regarding the conference and expansion.

Tomorrow may determine if A&M and Texas are a united front or if we'll strike out in different directions.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:05 PM
4) Cal reportedly objecting to the inclusion of Baylor

Salt City Sooner
6/9/2010, 02:06 PM
Now THERE'S a stunner. :rolleyes:

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:08 PM
5) Just reporting now (by Chip) that the Nebraska regents have met informaly and have agreed to join the Big-10

freshchris05
6/9/2010, 02:11 PM
so there are wmd's?

Flagstaffsooner
6/9/2010, 02:25 PM
4) Cal reportedly objecting to the inclusion of BaylorIt might ruin the image of the conference.
http://images.hollywoodgrind.com:9000/images/2009/1/michael-phelps-smoking-pot-weed-marijuana-1.jpg

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:27 PM
They were talking about the Cal / Baylor thing and saying it has to do with Baylor's ties to the Baptist Church.

Leroy Lizard
6/9/2010, 02:39 PM
What a rotten reason.

OUDizzle
6/9/2010, 02:40 PM
They were talking about the Cal / Baylor thing and saying it has to do with Baylor's ties to the Baptist Church.

Baylor is private school with over-bearing baptist ideals. The Pac-10 has repeatedly voted out BYU for membership for the same exact reason and they've made it obvious that they want nothing to do with religious schools.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:41 PM
Wait for the day the A&M Corps invades Berkley! ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2010, 02:43 PM
Baylor is private school with over-bearing baptist ideals. The Pac-10 has repeatedly voted out BYU for membership for the same exact reason and they've made it obvious that they want nothing to do with religious schools.

I'll repeat the assertion that's a miserable reason to exclude a school from membership in an athletic conference.

Sure, I think both religions are silly, but if people want to go to school in that environment and if (as private schools) they're able to attract enough people to support the school who want to do so, more power to 'em.

I mean, jeez, if I'm not mistaken USC was founded as a Methodist school.

OUDizzle
6/9/2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with you, I'm just pointing out the Pac 10's reasoning.

I can understand the Pac 10 wanting Colorado but why does Texas package itself with Baylor?

Herr Scholz

Yep. One of my coworkers went to BYU and this is exactly what he said, that this was the reason the Pac 10 would possibly take Utah but never BYU.

Maybe Colorado can get their clown car of an athletic department together with this move.

yermom
they just don't want more bears in the conference

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 02:50 PM
why does Texas package itself with Baylor?
We didn't. There was a voting block of 15 state legislators with Waco or Baylor ties in the Texas house pushing this. They know they're about to be left behind.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/9/2010, 02:50 PM
Baptists and Atheists just don't get along. Just look at Johnny Mack and Sic'Em.

Oh, never mind.

auto
6/9/2010, 02:53 PM

Now that's a cult.:D

John Kochtoston
6/9/2010, 02:54 PM
Let's be honest: if Baylor had the athletic department and ability to generate revenue that Notre Dame does, no one in the Pac 10 would oppose them on religious grounds.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 02:56 PM
Radio talking about Missouri now ... says the Big-10 has soured on them and they may ... after all their talk ... end up one of the big losers in all of this.

Big-10 priority list appears to be Notre Dame, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Mayland.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2010, 03:00 PM
I will laugh my *** off if Misery gets left out in the cold.

With their supposed academic awesomosity, maybe they can get an invite to the Ivy League.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 03:02 PM
Oh, now that's funny. :P KU and Mizzou to the Mountain West? Ouch.

Dio
6/9/2010, 03:03 PM

:pop: :gary: :pop:

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:03 PM
Some ND fans seem to think they are going to the Big 10 along with Neb and Rutgers

soonermix
6/9/2010, 03:11 PM
holy crap i just heard from a very reputable news source ( i totally just made this up) that the sunbelt conference was ready to extend invitations to the following schools and boot their current members...
OU, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St., Florida St, Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, USC, Oregon, UCLA, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Miami, Boise St., and Harvard!!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
6/9/2010, 03:13 PM
The one thing I don't get about Rutgers is, yes you have the NYC market, but is NYC really a college fb market? I mean you may have 8 million sets in NYC, but if only 10,000 are tuned to college fb what have you gained?

OU Adonis
6/9/2010, 03:14 PM
Now that's a cult.:D

Yeah and the aTm folks are a bit wierd as well.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:15 PM
NY/NJ is a decent Fball market I think, hell, wasnt Rutgers the 1st college fball team ever?

Bourbon St Sooner
6/9/2010, 03:16 PM
holy crap i just heard from a very reputable news source ( i totally just made this up) that the sunbelt conference was ready to extend invitations to the following schools and boot their current members...
OU, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St., Florida St, Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, USC, Oregon, UCLA, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Miami, Boise St., and Harvard!!!!

OU and Harvard makes sense. I don't know about the rest of them. I'll wait until Fox Sports South Alabama verifies this.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:16 PM
Baylor has been on the Big XII welfare program since the beginning. The add zero to the PAC 16. Plus they are a private, religious school. I doubt they make the cut.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 03:17 PM
I mean you may have 8 million sets in NYC, but if only 10,000 are tuned to college fb what have you gained?

At this point it may have less to do with ratings than the footprint where they can charge a higher rate for the Big-10 Network on the cable systems since it would be in the Big-10 area.

Dio
6/9/2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah and the aTm folks are a bit wierd as well.

Ba-dump-CRASH!

Try the veal.

goingoneight
6/9/2010, 03:19 PM
Baylor is a dead horse in football. They will be beaten and burned if they continue to play the five teams that have owned them the most PLUS the PAC 10 powers that be.

rawlingsHOH
6/9/2010, 03:22 PM
Baylor has been on the Big XII welfare program since the beginning. The add zero to the PAC 16. Plus they are a private, religious school. I doubt they make the cut.

They add plenty.

But you are right, they are a christian school, and the libs in Berkley are fighting to keep them out.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2010, 03:23 PM
They add baseball, sometimes that's it.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:25 PM
They add plenty.

But you are right, they are a christian school, and the libs in Berkley are fighting to keep them out.

what exactly...I think they have 1 national title all time, all sports. They bring in Zero $$$, so what do they add exactly?

HBick
6/9/2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe Colorado can get their clown car of an athletic department together with this move.

hahahaha

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:29 PM
This is disgusting, all of this has us joking and agreeing with tex fans, WTF :D

Mississippi Sooner
6/9/2010, 03:29 PM
what exactly...I think they have 1 national title all time, all sports. They bring in Zero $$$, so what do they add exactly?

They do have those damn sharp green and gold unis.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:30 PM
of course

Dio
6/9/2010, 03:31 PM
Still, it would be funny to see Baylor go west and CU get left out of the Pac 10 expansion they've had wet dreams about for decades. Never happen, but it would be funny.

rawlingsHOH
6/9/2010, 03:42 PM
They add baseball, sometimes that's it.

the bring just about all of the non-revenue sports. the sports the pac10 has always been into. and the reason the pac10 has balked at colorado to begin with.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 03:43 PM
So again, they bring nothing

Mac94
6/9/2010, 03:44 PM
Radio saying that Texas AD Deloss Dodds will have a meeting with his coaches this afternoon regarding the conference.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 04:15 PM
Just further .... Chris Mortenson (ESPN) is reporting that Tom Osborne is tellign staff that the move to the Big-10 is immenent.

47straight
6/9/2010, 04:25 PM
6) Every longhorn recruit that The Whorn has ever promoted as a UT "lock" to sell subscriptions and ended up somewhere else was paid off.

rawlingsHOH
6/9/2010, 04:26 PM
So again, they bring nothing

so you know nothing about the pac10, is what you are saying?

Soonerfan88

With their supposed academic awesomosity, maybe they can get an invite to the Ivy League.

This is hilarious! Mizzeri started this entire mess. B11 said they were thinking about expanding and out of nowhere the biggest media story was Mizzeri begging to be included with even the governor on his knees. Pissed the rest of the conference off, got Neb back on their high horse over :texan: /South being in charge, then :texan: had to throw its weight around and suddenly the entire conference is dead.

And Mizzeri is left with NOTHING!!! :D

47straight
7) The computer rankings will favor Texas over OU if UT, OU, and Tech all win out.

47straight
6/9/2010, 04:27 PM
8) Notre Dame and Texas are planning their conference moves together. Texas is the only program whose cache approaches Notre Dame. They're pretty much equal.

47straight
6/9/2010, 04:29 PM
9) The OU coaches don't believe in Landry Jones.

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 04:37 PM
Good lord, Twitter is failing left and right. College football expansion has officially broken the internet.

OU Adonis
6/9/2010, 04:42 PM
Good lord, Twitter is failing left and right. College football expansion has officially broken the internet.

<rant> You lost me at twitter <rant off>

Signed,

Adonis,

P.S You can find me on Facebook discussing it with all my interweb friends

47straight
6/9/2010, 04:43 PM
More on how Deloss is using Chip Brown and the Whorn to cover their tracks

http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?2444-orangebloods.com-Chip-Brown-quot-Nebraska-Decision-is-Key-quot

sooner59
6/9/2010, 05:05 PM
Chip Brown just said on ESPN that Texas told staff "We did everything to save the Big 12, but we failed." Texas meeting with A&M tomorrow to assure they are "on the same page". If his info is correct, its over.

rainiersooner
6/9/2010, 05:08 PM

Rainiersooner is reportedly also objecting to the inclusion of Baylor. Stay tuned.

rainiersooner
6/9/2010, 05:11 PM

I will too - it will be God's last act of revenge against Chase Daniels being such a ******-bag.

Sooner in Tampa
6/9/2010, 05:30 PM
BFeldmanESPN (http://twitter.com/BFeldmanESPN) Chip Brown just said on SportsCenter "the Big 12 is dead." Strong. Said Colorado, not Baylor will be the other Big 12 S team into the Pac.

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 05:41 PM
<rant> You lost me at twitter <rant off>

Signed,

Adonis,

P.S You can find me on Facebook discussing it with all my interweb friends

heh! Normally I hate it too, but on days like today it is the shinizzle.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/9/2010, 05:48 PM
Ahem.

No invitation has been extended to Nebraska that we know of, correct?

Nebraska will issue a release that says they are prepared to accept an invitation to the Big 10.

Jim Delaney will hold a presser saying they appreciate the interest but that the conference still has to research some things or some such nonsense.

Next week he'll hold another presser on the campus of Notre Dame in conjunction with their AD announcing their long overdue merger.

Nebraska will be standing there saying, "What just happened?" and very nervous about Texas, OU, and CU bolting anyway.

I still believe that the real target in all of this mess is Notre Dame.

Edit: Though I suppose that's obvious. Just throwing out the reminder.

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 05:53 PM
No way, I just can't see Neb being that reckless with something like this.

No way Osborn goes to offices announcing the move without a formal invite.

Unless the Big10 up and renegs the offer, I think this is a done deal.

westbrooke
6/9/2010, 06:05 PM
No way, I just can't see Neb being that reckless with something like this.

No way Osborn goes to offices announcing the move without a formal invite.

Unless the Big10 up and renegs the offer, I think this is a done deal.

I tend to agree with you. I think this is like a coaching hire or a political appointment where there are discussions to make sure both sides are in agreement before an "official offer" is ever made so that no one ever has to say there was a rejection if one party declines.

Either that, or Nebraska is really desperate to get into the Big 10, and they're willing to flash their panties to get some notice. I don't think that's Osborne's style.

OUmillenium
6/9/2010, 06:07 PM
Is anybody reporting that Nebraska comes off looking like a giant vag in all of this? If not, then I got the scoop.

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 06:08 PM
ESPN reported that Osborne is telling his coaches they are going to the Big 10! Bet money they have an invite in hand!

OUmillenium
6/9/2010, 06:11 PM
Nebraskared

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:23 PM
so you know nothing about the pac10, is what you are saying?

What im saying is that anyone who implies that Baylor brings something to the table is way off base.

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:24 PM
ESPN reporting that Nebraska has been given a formal invite by Big 10, so not sure where all this is coming from.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:32 PM
Kirk Bohls is reporting that nebraska has NO formal invitation

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:36 PM
I don't see why the Big 10 (11) wouldn't want Nebraska. I don't see them getting Notre Dame unless all hell breaks loose and The Big 10 expands to 16.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:37 PM
There is some more 'speculation' that ND will join the Big Ten...thats why trying to figure all of this out is pointless

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:41 PM
They need to put all the negotiations and talks and stuff on primetime tv tomorrow and just hash it out. Everybody can make a drinking game out of it.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 06:44 PM
a flip cup tournament between the big ten, pac 10, and big 12. Whoever wins gets to pick what teams they want

cheezyq
6/9/2010, 06:45 PM
Radio talking about Missouri now ... says the Big-10 has soured on them and they may ... after all their talk ... end up one of the big losers in all of this.

Big-10 priority list appears to be Notre Dame, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Mayland.

I highly doubt that. The biggest reason behind all this is additional TV revenue, and Missouri is the only team that matters in its state...a state that has 2 pretty large TV markets in STL and KC.

Maybe the Big 10 doesn't want them, but someone will. I can't imagine the Big 10 doesn't want MU, though. This Big 10 Network thing has generated more revenue than they could have ever anticipated. Thus the reason for the expansion talks in the first place.

sooner59
6/9/2010, 06:51 PM
I think it would be funny if both conferences expanded and the SEC ended up being the 3rd best conference and freaked out and started getting leftovers. Either way, if the 4 superconference thing happened, The Pac 16, Big 16, and SEC would be good.....and the leftover superconference would be laughable in comparison. Boise and Utah end up in that one and begin crying again, lol.

SicEmBaylor
6/19/2010, 04:31 PM

Over-bearing? I don't know what your definition of over-bearing is, but you clearly know next to nothing about Baylor or just how over-bearing its Baptist roots are.

FYI, it isn't even close to being "over-bearing."

SicEmBaylor
6/19/2010, 04:35 PM

Don't be ignorant. We have two national titles since joining the Big XII. Tennis and w-basketball. We also have 30+ conference championships.

The whole myth that we can't and have not competed in any sport since the creation of the heavens and earth is tiresome and ignorant.

delhalew
6/19/2010, 04:50 PM
Don't be ignorant. We have two national titles since joining the Big XII. Tennis and w-basketball. We also have 30+ conference championships.

The whole myth that we can't and have not competed in any sport since the creation of the heavens and earth is tiresome and ignorant.

You kind of have a point. If you want worthless...see Missouri.

SicEmBaylor
6/19/2010, 05:03 PM
You kind of have a point. If you want worthless...see Missouri.

Hey, I'm under no illusions as to our overall worth in the world of athletics, but saying we contribute NOTHING and acting as if our entire athletic department is one massive failure is simply wrong. Our issues at football aside, we're strong competitors in 2 of the 3 revenue sports and we have a tremendous amount of success in the rest of the sports we participate in.

King Barry's Back
6/19/2010, 07:52 PM
Hey, I'm under no illusions as to our overall worth in the world of athletics, but saying we contribute NOTHING and acting as if our entire athletic department is one massive failure is simply wrong. Our issues at football aside, we're strong competitors in 2 of the 3 revenue sports and we have a tremendous amount of success in the rest of the sports we participate in.

"2 of the 3 revenue sports"?

Football is a revenue sport, and generally pays the bills for the rest of the athletic dept. Basketball is a revenue sport at some schools, and most programs hope that hoops can earns enough to pay its own way.

What's the third revenue sport?

bluedogok
6/19/2010, 08:32 PM

Football is a revenue sport, and generally pays the bills for the rest of the athletic dept. Basketball is a revenue sport at some schools, and most programs hope that hoops can earns enough to pay its own way.

Women's basketball can be at some schools.

OUthunder
6/19/2010, 09:09 PM

Chess, lol.

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2010, 12:30 AM

Baseball. I always assumed it generated revenue though to a much lesser extent than football and basketball.

OKLA21FAN
6/20/2010, 12:45 AM

and BU has some of the best sporting venues in all of the big 12. just sayin. BU offered much much more over all, than CU ever thought of.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/20/2010, 02:51 PM
I would take Baylor any day of over the buffalo shat smoking turds from colorado.

Good riddance. Only thing CU was good for was that most OUs most offensive production game (prior to the great one's passing day) where we ran the ball and scored like 82 points that day.