PDA

View Full Version : If all this conference musical chairs happens ... any chance ...

Mac94
6/9/2010, 08:43 AM
... that Nebraska and OU team up for a long term OOC matchup. Obviously, "back in the day" the Sooners played Texas as an OOC game and had Nebraska in conference .... maybe the tables could be turned if the Huskers go to the Big-10 and OU to the Pac-16 ... Texas in conference and Nebraska OOC? Restore annually one of the great rivalries of college football?

MeMyself&Me
6/9/2010, 08:52 AM
I was hoping for this originally but I don't think it would happen. For one, part of the tradition was the timing happening having the game on Thanksgiving day weekend. It just doesn't seem right to me for that game to be at any other time. However, do you want to have a strong non-conference opponent the week before a conference championship game?

Second, while I assume OU would still want to schedule one tough non-conference opponent each year, I don't know if they want it to be tied to one single team each year. There are things to be gained by moving around to different parts of the country to improve exposure.

I think this rivalry is dead. Stupid Big 12 originators were too shortsighted to see that OU would eventually be back on the big stage and that this game was important.

yermom
6/9/2010, 09:41 AM
if the conference expansions happen, there may not be enough flexibility for that to happen

IronHorseSooner
6/9/2010, 11:53 AM
if the conference expansions happen, there may not be enough flexibility for that to happen

I'd be curious to see, if this becomes the PAC-16, that the same would be said of the SUC-ND game. In a 16-team league scenario, a team will likely have 9 conference and 3 non-con games. Bottom line is that if SUC could have their historic non-con rivalry with ND, then we should be able to have OUr historic non-con rivalry game with NU. We would replace a weak non-con game (ie Idaho St., USU, Chattanooga) with a conference game, and still keep a strong non-con foe, just like we used to do with *. That game became centered around the Texas State Fair. Why couldn't we start a new tradition where NU could be played at the beginning of the season around Labor Day, much like FSU-Miami does with theirs?

Widescreen
6/9/2010, 12:00 PM
That would generally make our schedule more difficult with 1 fewer OOC game available due to 1 more conference game being played. I really doubt we'll lock in to any 1 team for OOC.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 12:08 PM
The Pac-10 currently plays a 9 game conference schedule with 3 OOC games and USC keeps their game with Notre Dame .... so it's possible. The question is more of will than feasability.

Widescreen
6/9/2010, 12:13 PM
Yes, it's possible. It's possible that we play Nebraska, Tulsa and TCU out-of-conference every year. I just don't think OU will lock themselves into anyone just to keep a rivalry that effectively died in 1996.

goingoneight
6/9/2010, 12:18 PM
The only joy I get out of this is seeing Oregon and USC in a BIG 12 North-kinda division getting their asses handed to them in an annual conference championship by the BIG 12 South-kinda opposing division.

OU 27 Oregon 24
OU 29 USC 7
OU 49 USC 7
OU 21 Oregon 7
OU 38 Oregon 17
OU 62 USC 21

:D