PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins? CU to possibly announce tomorrow

TMcGee86
6/8/2010, 07:05 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/8/1508073/Pac-10-Colorado-Expansion

CU Holding Meeting With Board Of Regents Tonight To Discuss Move To Pac-10

Jun 08 7:37p by Jeremy Mauss

The expansion machine has been working overtime lately, but it looks like there definitely will be may actually be some tangible evidence tomorrow with Colorado expecting to make a major announcement tomorrow:

If the speculation is true, Colorado could be preparing to accept a bid from the Pac-10 Conference, which has targeted the Buffaloes for expansion.

The move would undercut an attempt by Baylor to sway the Texas Legislature into helping the Bears get an invite ahead of Colorado.

It would also guarantee that the Pac-10 probably pulls off at least one of its plans presented to league presidents and chancellors at meetings over the weekend in San Francisco.

This move looks to block out Baylor who has been gathering support from the Texas legislature to put pressure on Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to bring along baby brother Baylor to a new Pac-10 league. Now, if this actually comes true then the Pac-10 has two options regarding expansion which are either still inviting Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State which is the Pac-10's first choice in expansion, and then the other would to add Utah to round out a new form Pac-10.

Leroy Lizard
6/8/2010, 08:37 PM
So if CU bolts, how do the dominoes fall from there?

ndpruitt03
6/8/2010, 08:50 PM
CU doesn't matter. It'll really come down to Nebraska. If they stay I think the Big 12 tries to get a BYU, Utah, or a couple of other teams. They won't join the PAC 10. But Nebraska is probably gone.

RedKings
6/8/2010, 09:01 PM
https://www.cu.edu/regents/Agendas/BORagenda_2010-06-SpecialMtg.pdf

RedKings
6/8/2010, 09:19 PM
Minutes of CU Regents Board Meeting tonight: http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1634260&forum_id=5

Soonermagik
6/8/2010, 09:23 PM
If they accept I think it will start the split. Smart move by them to accept the bid to undercut Baylor.

RedKings
6/8/2010, 09:31 PM
Colorado forums are now reporting that the meeting is not about the Pac 10, but NCAA sanctions.

When was it that they were being investigated?

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 10:50 PM
I hope they're not buying players... cuz they're doing it wrong.

RedKings
6/8/2010, 10:51 PM
Colorado will be only BCS fball program to get NCAA APR sanctions Wednesday and one of only 2 BCS hoops programs to get sanctioned.

http://twitter.com/chipbrownob

This is really bad timely for Colorado.

RedKings
6/8/2010, 11:18 PM
http://omaha.com/article/20100608/BIGRED/306089786/-1#nu-to-big-10-as-early-as-friday

LINCOLN — An executive at a Big 12 school relayed to The World-Herald on Tuesday that he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman has declined all interviews about conference realignment and expansion. He is expected to address the topic with the Board of Regents at its Friday meeting in Lincoln.

Direct confirmation from Nebraska of a conference change for the Huskers wasn't immediately available. Sources at two other Big 12 schools told The World-Herald that their athletic directors have instructed them to be ready by week's end for a briefing on probable Big 12 changes.

Nebraska A.D. Tom Osborne offered implicit confirmation Tuesday night that the timetable on national conference realignment has been accelerated.

On his monthly appearance on the Husker Sports Network, Osborne said:

“I think before too long — I don't know exactly what that time frame is — we'll be able to put this to bed," then he jokingly added, “because I'm getting tired of it."

The Big Ten first revealed on Dec. 15 that it was considering expansion, and that it would take 12 to 18 months to act.

Now, six months after that initial announcement, multiple sources have indicated that the Big Ten is prepared to add one to five schools (including Nebraska), and that the Pacific 10 is courting all six schools from the Big 12 South Division.

“There's a lot of information we really don't have right now," Osborne said. “Hopefully we'll get these put together in the next few days.

“Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 would be pure speculation. And I don't think that's very helpful."

Another issue Osborne addressed is recent speculation that he has a personal grudge against Texas or that he is basing decisions on some hatred of the Longhorns.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12," Osborne said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years.

“This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It's a big deal for other institutions. You don't ever make a decision based on personal likes and dislikes."

Osborne said he gets along “very well" with Texas A.D. DeLoss Dodds and is a “great admirer" of UT football coach Mack Brown.

“This is not a case of reacting to any one school," Osborne said, “particularly Texas."

Earlier Tuesday, The World-Herald requested an interview with Dodds. His spokesman, from Austin, Texas, said Dodds was unavailable because of a personal commitment.

ndpruitt03
6/8/2010, 11:53 PM
Big 12 is done. Kinda sad to see the old Big 8 crumble. We joined it some 70 or 80 years ago and made the Big 6

sooner518
6/9/2010, 07:35 AM
im sick of talking about it. either do it or dont. i kind of hope it all goes wrong and somehow the TV networks end up somehow screwing the conferences over and the conferences make even less money.

OUMallen
6/9/2010, 09:19 AM
Not that ESPN is the harbinger of timely info, but SportsCenter this morning reported that NU had not yet received an actual, formal offer from the Big Ten. Still waiting on Notre Dame?

1890MilesToNorman
6/9/2010, 10:36 AM
All this conference realignment stuff was orchestrated by Usuck to deflect from their NCAA problems! When I say, when? :D

RedKings
6/9/2010, 10:37 AM
Big 12 is done. Kinda sad to see the old Big 8 crumble. We joined it some 70 or 80 years ago and made the Big 6

4 of the Big 12 North schools have been together 104 years.

OU, ISU, MU, NU, KU and KSU have had a conference association starting in 1919. ISU, KU, MU and NU have been together since 1907. KSU joined these original 4 in 1913. OU joined in 1919 to make it 6.

A lot of history is about to be lost.

I grew up knowing nothing but Big 8 sports. Now after following it for over 50 years, it's all coming to an apparent end, because of greed of the almighty dollar and the inequities of not sharing equally.

Too much Texas influence in the SWC ran off Arkansas after many years. Now that same Texas influence has soured some in the north of the Big 12 Conference.

Mac94
6/9/2010, 10:56 AM
I grew knowing nothing but Big 8 sports. Now after following it for over 50 years, it's all coming to an apparent end

Yup ... welcome to how we felt watching the old SWC die. The old SWC was flawed by the early 1990's ... but there was alot of memories and traditon and history there. The greatnes of it as a fan was that you could travel easily to most games and since the schools were so close you were bound to work with, live near, and even have family members that where alums of conferecne rivals ... it was a very personal conference.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 11:02 AM
Colorado leaving the Big 12 wouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. At least it shouldn't be. If CU announces it's leaving it doesn't mean the end of anything related to the integrity of the Big 12. It's only if NU & MU leave that the conference will fold.

TahoeSOONER
6/9/2010, 11:06 AM
I hope we play Nebraska non conference or one of the greatest rivalries in the history of CFB may be lost.

RedKings
6/9/2010, 11:12 AM
Yup ... welcome to how we felt watching the old SWC die. The old SWC was flawed by the early 1990's ... but there was alot of memories and traditon and history there. The greatnes of it as a fan was that you could travel easily to most games and since the schools were so close you were bound to work with, live near, and even have family members that where alums of conferecne rivals ... it was a very personal conference.

There you go. Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M have been together the longest. They go back together to 1915. That's 96 years. Soon will there just be two schools that go that far back in their athletic association?

goingoneight
6/9/2010, 12:06 PM
Too many schools are letting little brothers ride their coattails, IMO. Texas Tech, Baylor, OSU and the like don't belong with the Oklahomas and Texass (heh) of the CFB map. I think most states are afraid of their athletic departments drying up without big brother to "rival" year in and year out. Can't say I don't agree. Look at TU versus OSU in terms of fan support.

Who honestly would care about Iowa State if not for the Iowa/ISU game? Who gives a rat's arse about Tceh without Tejas and OU playing them every year, with Nebraska getting a shot 2/4? Would their fanbases even show up if they were playing in the WAC? Or would they jump on the Tejas and OU bandwagons to go watch real football?

Little brother without big brother = Boise State IMO. They'd kick *** in the WAC/MWC/MAC... whatever... but who would care unless something like the 2007 Fiesta Bowl happens, then the media love lingers for a few years.

MeMyself&Me
6/9/2010, 12:28 PM
After few short years, I don't think they'd be doing even what Boise State is doing... more like Texas El Paso. That's why they're so desperate to hang on to their big brothers.

westbrooke
6/9/2010, 12:30 PM
It's kind of amazing to look back at the way the dominoes were set up on this one:

Big 10 announces they're interested in expanding, most likely with the intent of drawing Notre Dame into the conference.
Missouri sees greener pastures up north and decides to whore itself out to win a Big 10 bid.
Rumors swirl, getting Nebraska and Texas caught up in the mess.
As the rumors are repeated often enough, it becomes conventional wisdom that Texas is not only the biggest prize out there, but also actively pursuing a new conference partnership.
Colorado has always been a slightly disgruntled conference partner, so they feel the tremors coming and start making eyes at the Pac 10.
OU and the other Big 12 teams start wondering what's going to happen to them if Nebraska/Missouri/Texas/Colorado bolt, which puts every conference team in fair territory for expansion speculation.
The Pac 10 is trying to secure a better TV deal next year, so expansion is attractive. Might as well go after the biggest prize, Texas, right? And if you're going to make a splash, why not take OU and A&M too, even if it means taking all of the pilot fish surrounding the sharks (OSU, Tech).
Texas politicians predictably circle the wagons to lobby for Baylor to be included in the deal.
The conference gives Nebraska and Missouri an ultimatum to make up their minds.
Colorado jumps the gun to accept a Pac-10 bid before it can go to Baylor and avoid being left out in the cold.

Which could lead to:

Nebraska sees Colorado packing its bags, thinks the conference is tumbling, and tries to bolt for the Big 10.
Missouri pretends it hasn't already bought the bus ticket and follows suit.
The Pac 10 scoops up the remainder of the Big 12 South, forming Mecha Conference West.
The Big 10 freaks out and raids the Big East for anything worth taking to get up to 16 teams and form Mecha Conference East.
With the disintegration of their non-football conference at hand, Notre Dame gets on the boat and joins Mecha Conference East... giving the Big 10 what it wanted from the outset.

Or it's all rumor and nothing whatsoever happens to shake the landscape.

One way or another, this offseason is going to change college football. All the dominoes fall now, or everyone holds steady for a summer but they're so nervous about the impending madness that they start realigning in the next year or two. And all because the Big 10 can't keep from lusting after a fading powerhouse that hasn't been a player in about 20 years.

Soonermagik
6/9/2010, 01:19 PM
^^^ Very well written. In a nutshell, that's exactly what has happened. I hope we do expand, it will be great for OU's recruiting and bank account.

TMcGee86
6/9/2010, 03:30 PM
Just read a twitter post from a radio host here in Houston saying his source told him SEC is looking at OU and Clemson.

I hope this is true if the Pac 10 move doesn't pan out. The last thing I want is to hang around a bootleg B12 and watch UT create their own network while the rest of us are stuck with a ****ty TV deal.

ndpruitt03
6/9/2010, 03:42 PM
Just read a twitter post from a radio host here in Houston saying his source told him SEC is looking at OU and Clemson.

I hope this is true if the Pac 10 move doesn't pan out. The last thing I want is to hang around a bootleg B12 and watch UT create their own network while the rest of us are stuck with a ****ty TV deal.

I don't like the SEC at all. It would be a complete nightmare.

sooner59
6/9/2010, 04:02 PM
All this east coast - west coast talk. Guys....this is why Tupac and Biggie are gone. :D

LiveLaughLove
6/9/2010, 11:32 PM
I don't care to be in the same conference as Texas, personally.

When we took them in from the SWC, it and they were all but dead (yeah yeah I know Texas fans, whatever). They had no decent basketball programs in the whole state. UTEP has had more basketball success than all of the rest of them combined, and that was ages ago.

They were thrilled to get into our conference, and make no mistake, it was OUR conference that they joined. It was NOT a combining of the SWC and the Big 8. The SWC was dead.

Fast forward, all of the TV exposure, all of the extra revenue that didn't exist before the Big 12 and Texas is a power in football AND basketball. Do they appreciate the Big 12 for this? No, they start throwing their weight around and act like they created the Big 12, and we were all somehow lucky that they grace us with their presence.

No thanks. It looks like our conference is now dying. Bad leadership? Yes. Bad TV contract? For sure. But mostly, it's bad blood, and that comes from south of the Red. There has never been the camaraderie that existed in the Big 8, thanks to Texas.

So what do we do? Personally, I don't want to go wherever Texas goes. They will just taint the pool there too. Let the Pac-10 have 'em and see how much they like them. I would like to see us go to the SEC. Unless Texas goes to the SEC, then I'd like to see us go to the Pac-10.

We will still play them once a year, so nothing changes there. Unfortunately, it looks like we are heading in the same direction.

Hey Pac-10 don't say we didn't warn ya.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 11:38 PM
I don't care to be in the same conference as Texas, personally.

Guess you don't like the money your athletic dept. has earned with our partnership then. Fine. You make much more now than you did in the Big 8. Go to the SEC. Whatever.

LiveLaughLove
6/10/2010, 12:31 AM
Guess you don't like the money your athletic dept. has earned with our partnership then. Fine. You make much more now than you did in the Big 8. Go to the SEC. Whatever.

Something of a chicken and egg argument. Who benefited the most from the Big 12? I think Texas did by far, but you can disagree and we could argue points ad nauseum. I don't hate Texas contrary to what you may think.

I think Texas and Oklahoma have far more that they share in common than either side would like to admit culturally, politically, and sport-wise. I just don't like the arrogance that get's displayed from UT at times. It hurt our conference from ever coalescing the way it should have.

So I'm not going to get bent out of shape if we all move together, it's just not my preference.

If we do all go, I hope the old Big 12 South kicks some royal butt in all the sports and dominates the old Pac-10.

I honestly think the Pac-10 is a better fit for OU than the SEC. We recruit California pretty good, and alot of us have family that live there from the old "Okie" days.

My wife's dad's favorite teams were USC and OU, I wish he had lived to see this conference merger, he would have loved it. (If it happens) ;)

TMcGee86
6/10/2010, 10:33 AM
Supposedly CU is announcing within the hour.

That or at 11am tomorrow. Depending on which source you believe.

This has me worried. I'm to the point now where I don't like us sitting here any more. With the Texas 4 meeting today I'm starting to think we should go ahead and accept a Pac10 invite if it's sitting there.

I mean, I would hope the SEC would come calling were the Tx schools to somehow mess up our Pac10 invite, but I dont like sitting around and looking like we are dependent upon UT to make our decision for us.

ndpruitt03
6/10/2010, 10:42 AM
If OU was recruiting more in SEC country under Stoops then I see the point of going to the SEC. But outside of a couple Louisiana players OU really hasn't thrived that much and Mark Bradley was a walk on from Arkansas. They have a Florida player or two right now. They haven't really recruiting that well in SEC country. You could potentially isolate 2 recruiting basis going away from the PAC 10. It's smart for OU to go to the PAC 10.

Dio
6/10/2010, 11:17 AM

This has me worried. I'm to the point now where I don't like us sitting here any more. With the Texas 4 meeting today I'm starting to think we should go ahead and accept a Pac10 invite if it's sitting there.

I mean, I would hope the SEC would come calling were the Tx schools to somehow mess up our Pac10 invite, but I dont like sitting around and looking like we are dependent upon UT to make our decision for us.

Yeah, until we get the official invite there's always the chance we get Mizzou'd

Dio
6/10/2010, 11:18 AM
If OU was recruiting more in SEC country under Stoops then I see the point of going to the SEC. But outside of a couple Louisiana players OU really hasn't thrived that much and Mark Bradley was a walk on from Arkansas whose father played here. They have a Florida player or two right now. They haven't really recruiting that well in SEC country. You could potentially isolate 2 recruiting basis going away from the PAC 10. It's smart for OU to go to the PAC 10.

Amplifying your point

JohnnyMack
6/10/2010, 11:19 AM

What if the SEC came out of nowhere and extended an invite to the Texas 4? It'd be kinda cool to watch us all collectively **** ourselves. :D

Eielson
6/10/2010, 11:25 AM
"Colorado leaves Big 12 for Pac-10"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

Mac94
6/10/2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.pac-10.org/genrel/061010aaa.html

Pac-10 Press release on CU to Pac-10

Oldnslo
6/10/2010, 11:29 AM
Baylor is now turning charcoal into diamonds with their buttcheeks.

TMcGee86
6/10/2010, 12:44 PM
Supposedly Osu just accepted as well. I now hope we don't go just cause it would be hilarious to watch the PAC react to just getting those two

Widescreen
6/10/2010, 12:45 PM
If OSU really is accepting an invite, it's pretty clear that the PAC-16 is a reality. The PAC-10 was going to use Utah as a fallback if something fell through with the rest of the Big 12 teams thus creating the PAC-12. I don't think OSU would be their fallback.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 01:39 PM
^^^ What Widescreen said.

westbrooke
6/10/2010, 01:44 PM
Might have been posted already in the half dozen threads on realignment, but I thought this was an interesting retrospective:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/06/10/the-big-zero/?eref=sihp

I'm one of those feeling a bit nostalgic for the old Big 8 days and wondering what will become of those rivalries, but for those like me I think it's a point worth remembering (and supported by the history recounted in that article) that the Big 8 was a doomed conference for the same reason that this whole shakedown is going on now: TV sets.