PDA

View Full Version : June 8th, Depth Chart

JLEW1818
6/8/2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

TahoeSOONER
6/8/2010, 01:37 PM
Jaz and Kenney ahead of Stills is a good sign that we got some pop to this WR group.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/8/2010, 01:37 PM
O'Hara still over Stevens

rawlingsHOH
6/8/2010, 01:50 PM
the yearly "motivational chart".

BoulderSooner79
6/8/2010, 01:55 PM
Madu in the slot again - who is next in line there?

Sooner-N-KS
6/8/2010, 01:59 PM
Is it very smart to not have a 2nd punter, holder or long snapper?

Remember what happened when we only had one guy that knew how to play middle linebacker?

Sooner-N-KS
6/8/2010, 02:01 PM
It's good to see that they expect Adrian Taylor to be ready.

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 02:04 PM

Remember what happened when we only had one guy that knew how to play middle linebacker?

That was due to Lofton's early departure and his JUCO replacement wasn't ready yet. Nor was the freshman 3rd stringer.

Mississippi Sooner
6/8/2010, 02:05 PM
Madu in the slot again - who is next in line there?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I thought he was supposed to move back into the running back rotation? Most likely, though, is that they'll probably use him wherever he's needed.

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 02:08 PM
Madu at SL and Jones at LT were the only surprised to me. In fact, I thought that's exactly how the defensive 2-deep would look.

Jello Biafra
6/8/2010, 02:11 PM

1st:
id be willing to bet that there are half a dozen kids on that team that can punt an average of 40 yards.

B: holder could be anyone with good hands....in fact, there are 5(FIVE) qbs on this team.

long snapper....that is a lil trickier. it does take some skills but the kid RARELY ever gets hit... practice or games.

Jello Biafra
6/8/2010, 02:12 PM
Madu at SL and Jones at LT were the only surprised to me. In fact, I thought that's exactly how the defensive 2-deep would look.

what suprises me is the fact that habern and good are ALREADY juniors. it seems like they just got on campus... for some reason.

Catch 22
6/8/2010, 03:04 PM
Is Mensik really 290? Didn't he play last year at 260?

Eielson
6/8/2010, 03:18 PM
Jaz and Kenney ahead of Stills is a good sign that we got some pop to this WR group.

...or that we don't. We kinda know what we're getting from the others (not necessarily terrible, just not amazing). We had hoped that somebody like Stills would step in and surprise us.

rawlingsHOH
6/8/2010, 03:20 PM

I'm quite certain they all have a "2nd". Just like they have "4th" tailback.

SunnySooner
6/8/2010, 03:44 PM
So Ronnell is beating out Mr. I Luv to Pee in Public, I wonder how tight that competition is. And I like seeing Hurst sharing the punt return duties with Broyles. That could make for some great field position. I'm hoping D. Miller has a breakout year--he's got the size and speed to be a real playmaker, just needs to slather on the Stick 'Em and pull in all the catchables.

87 days to go, woooohoooo!!!!!!!!

htownsooner7
6/8/2010, 04:32 PM
...or that we don't. We kinda know what we're getting from the others (not necessarily terrible, just not amazing). We had hoped that somebody like Stills would step in and surprise us.

Agree with this. You can't possibly tell me that Kenney deserves to play on a championship caliber team. As for Reynolds, haven't really seen anything yet. Besides Broyles, this is a weak WR group when compared to the national powers.

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 04:42 PM
Or is it? Tech has some good WRs on hand, as does A&M... and Alabama's guys are a good trio, but they don't have the greatest QB to get them the ball.

Miller, Reynolds and Broyles is actually a good look coming into 2010. As good as there is across the country from what I can see. Especially with LJ. The second year for starting QBs under Stoops has usually been a good one.

1. Statistically, Heupel wasn't better in 2000 than 1999. However, 1999 served as on-the-job-training for MNC #7. 1-- he played a much tougher schedule and 2-- injury plagued his throwing elbow. Still... 7-5 in 99, 13-0 in 2000.
2. Hybl was everybody's scapegoat in 2001, won a BIG 12 CCG and a Rose Bowl in 2002.
3. I don't count 2002 for Jason White... I look at 2003. 2004 was a gimme... like having Sam back for 2009 prior to injury.
4. As great as Sam was in 2007, he was WAY better in 2008. Footwork, pocket awareness, mobility, arm strength and overall the numbers showed it. In 2007 he locked in on Kelly a lot, in 2008, he distributed the ball extremely well.

I hope LJ doesn't become the first "sophomore slump" at QB for Stoops.

Sooner-N-KS
6/8/2010, 05:51 PM
Wow! I'm surprised that so many people are defending the lack of 2 deep on special teams and defending not having a 2nd MLB for Texas in 2008.

We did not have a back up MLB against Texas. If we had we likely would have won that game. Crow was back there, and everyone in the stadium could tell he had no clue what he was supposed to be doing.

A few weeks later Venables had Box playing reasonably well in the position. Don't give me the excuse that it's Curtis Lofton's fault when we didn't have a backup ready in October.

Sooner-N-KS
6/8/2010, 05:55 PM
Punters.....holders.......do we have anyone else practicing at those positions?

What happens if Nimmo wakes up too sick to play on a Saturday morning when we have an 11:00 game? Maybe we could get Brandon Crow to hold the ball? But I guess it wouldn't matter too much since we don't have anyone that can reliably kick it through the uprights.

But it could be a big deal if nobody is practicing at punter. We know that Kenney can punt, but will he be ready to punt if he's needed? Using that logic we can say that Crow was able to go in at MLB.

GKeeper316
6/8/2010, 06:17 PM
1st:
id be willing to bet that there are half a dozen kids on that team that can punt an average of 40 yards.

you'd lose that bet.

BoulderSooner79
6/8/2010, 06:17 PM
Wow! I'm surprised that so many people are defending the lack of 2 deep on special teams and defending not having a 2nd MLB for Texas in 2008.

We did not have a back up MLB against Texas. If we had we likely would have won that game. Crow was back there, and everyone in the stadium could tell he had no clue what he was supposed to be doing.

A few weeks later Venables had Box playing reasonably well in the position. Don't give me the excuse that it's Curtis Lofton's fault when we didn't have a backup ready in October.

Crowe was the best we had - why is that so hard to believe? Box was injured and not available until KSU. Nick Harris was used as an experiment the next week against KU and it didn't work. Lofton left us thin and the RR injury combined with the Box injury polished us off. Shat happens, but fortunately the game didn't count except for feeding a "banner behind airplanes" industry.

oudavid1
6/8/2010, 07:33 PM
The only difference from 3 months ago is that Gabe Ikard is not the backup Center anymore.

swardboy
6/8/2010, 10:08 PM
The only difference from 3 months ago is that Gabe Ikard is not the backup Center anymore.

Which leads me to believe this chart is meaningless...nothing is set until August two-a-days is over.

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 11:05 PM

Curtis Lofton leaving left Ryan Reynolds, a JUCO transfer to take up the vacated "Lofton" spot and a freshman, who by the way did NOT do so well until about the Texas Tech game at MLB... so your argument is shot as far as him being ready by halftime against a top 5 Texas offense. What part of that was so hard to understand? I'm sure you think we have a Heisman backup at QB this year too, huh?

oudavid1
6/8/2010, 11:31 PM
Which leads me to believe this chart is meaningless...nothing is set until August two-a-days is over.

exactly !

rawlingsHOH
6/8/2010, 11:35 PM
Agree with this. You can't possibly tell me that Kenney deserves to play on a championship caliber team. As for Reynolds, haven't really seen anything yet. Besides Broyles, this is a weak WR group when compared to the national powers.

it is such a strength.

reynolds is a stud, also.

it will be our best set of WRs since 2004.

rawlingsHOH
6/8/2010, 11:37 PM

Dude, a lot of teams do not list the back-up holder/punter etc. get over it for crissakes.

it doesn't mean they don't have one . lol

rawlingsHOH
6/8/2010, 11:38 PM
Punters.....holders.......do we have anyone else practicing at those positions?

What happens if Nimmo wakes up too sick to play on a Saturday morning when we have an 11:00 game? Maybe we could get Brandon Crow to hold the ball? But I guess it wouldn't matter too much since we don't have anyone that can reliably kick it through the uprights.

But it could be a big deal if nobody is practicing at punter. We know that Kenney can punt, but will he be ready to punt if he's needed? Using that logic we can say that Crow was able to go in at MLB.

Is this a bit?

Are you being 1% serious?

IronHorseSooner
6/9/2010, 07:03 AM
The only team that I know in OUr conference who actually has a listed back-up punter is * (Tucker and Gold). One is the rugby-style (Tucker), one is the conventional-style (Gold). For all intents and purposes, Kenney is OUr back-up punter, after that, probably Moreland.

Chiliman
6/9/2010, 07:48 AM
the yearly "motivational chart".

This, without a doubt. Especially on the defensive side.

Jello Biafra
6/9/2010, 08:22 AM
you'd lose that bet.

really? lol yeh ok

gaylordfan1
6/9/2010, 08:43 AM
I agree this is a motivational list.... Stills will be in the line up. At least he will get his shot to make an impression. If he produces good, if not he will sit until ready.

Ruf/Nek7
6/9/2010, 08:51 AM
Two things....1.) This defense looks sick, i can only hope everyone of these guys stay healthy and play to their potential. 2.) That linebacking corp excites the hell out of me. Can't wait to see helmets flying off the opponents heads!

Eielson
6/9/2010, 09:33 AM
you'd lose that bet.

I doubt it.

Since71ASooner4Life
6/9/2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, it's a strange feeling not seeing #93 in there any more - it's going to take some getting used to

gaylordfan1
6/9/2010, 09:56 PM
Lets recheck this depth chart at the end of August.... Things will change!

Eielson
6/9/2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, it's a strange feeling not seeing #93 in there any more - it's going to take some getting used to

Yeah, that's definitely our biggest loss. He'll always be one of my favorites. It was ridiculous how easy getting into the backfield was for him, and he had a great personality.