PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners Insurance question

XingTheRubicon
6/7/2010, 07:11 PM
Actually, Insurance Adjuster question:

I bought a lake house (grand lake) in August of 2009. Lake house had a brand new roof put on it in June of 2009.

Only one problem. Unknowing to anybody, it was hailed on to all hell in July of 2009. Every one in the area got a new roof from the July 2009 hail storm. Except, of course mine. I just found out that the damage is there. It's not that big of deal, but it does need to be addressed.

My insurance agent told me that the old lady's insurance (state farm, who was the insurer of record when the hail damage occured) has to pay for it.

I asked him, are you 100% sure. He said yes.

So I call old lady. Old lady is in a retirement home and is scared of everything. I called State Farm and explained what happened. They told me to GFM. I called them again, they said they would check it out. They called me back and told me that old lady doesn't want to file the claim and they basically scared the **** out of her.

What's frustrating is all the old lady has to do is call in the claim and from what I'm told State Farm has to pay it. It won't change anything in her life whatsoever, no rate increase on anything. An act of God, wind, hail, whatever can not raise any rate as I understand it.

Anyway, the state farm agent basically scared the hell out of her and that kind of pisses me off.

Anything I can do, other than molotov cocktailing the state farm agent's office?

olevetonahill
6/7/2010, 07:42 PM
Has she got any Kids ya can talk to ?

XingTheRubicon
6/7/2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, a daughter, but she's just waiting for the old lady to kick it.

One other thing that still pisses me off is that when I moved in, the daughter that was supposed to "take care" of all her mom's stuff...left about half of it strung out everywhere and the attic full of ****. Took me 2 days just to clean the f*cking place up. The daughter did, however, work in time to cash my check.

SunnySooner
6/7/2010, 07:59 PM
As a former State Farm employee...threaten an Insurance Commissioner's complaint, they hate the hell outta those things. And be a very squeaky wheel, get past the agent to the claims office, they are usually a bit easier to deal with. And if the damage was done in July and you bought it in August--why didn't they catch it during the inspection? Did you not have one? Just curious. There is a possibility you get stuck with this, though, I don't think you can force her to make a claim, and if you were buying the house "as is" in August, then hail damage to the roof should have been figured into the purchase price. Ya never know, and it never hurts to throw hissies, they might just pay it to make you shut up. Good luck!!!!

XingTheRubicon
6/7/2010, 08:11 PM
It was "as is" and I did everything over the phone so when they both said:

let's see termite inspection - wednesday, this/that inspection - thursday, and roof inspection...oh, I guess you don't need that. HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA. Nobody knew what happened. That old lady is as sweet as can be and would never have concealed anything, she is just scared of this whole mess.

I hate bothering her about this. I didn't think it turn into this big of deal...now that I think about it, I'm really leaning toward the molotov idea.

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2010, 08:14 PM
Ask an insurance attorney.

Okla-homey
6/8/2010, 06:12 AM
First off, I'd get some bids on the job so you have some notion of the kind of money we're talking about.

You could then ask your lawyer to write the old lady a letter enclosing copies of the bids, and advise pay up, or get ready to be sued. That may shake her up into paying you what you need. That letter shouldn't cost you much.

Short of that, I think you're hosed.

C&CDean
6/8/2010, 01:48 PM
They put roofs on trailer houses?

XingTheRubicon
6/8/2010, 02:44 PM
apparently not