PDA

View Full Version : Iowa State seeing the handwriting on the wall

prrriiide
6/6/2010, 11:46 PM
To summarize: batten down the hatches, we might be screwed.

Athletics Conference Re-alignment Update

AMES, Iowa - Iowa State University President Gregory Geoffroy and Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard are updating institutional constituents on conference re-alignment concerns that resulted from discussions at the Big 12 spring meetings.
Here is the letter ...

Dear Cyclone alumni, fans and friends of the University,
This week, we participated in the Big 12 Conference spring meetings in which a major topic of discussion was potential conference re-alignment. With the immense speculation and media attention given to this issue, we felt it was important for you to hear directly from us.

We believe the Big 12 Conference is the perfect fit for Iowa State University. We are committed to our membership in the Big 12, and we are optimistic that the conference will remain intact. However, we also recognize that the long-term viability of the Big 12 Conference is not in our control - it is in the hands of just a few of our fellow member institutions.

Iowa State and several other members of the Big 12 Conference are especially vulnerable under some of the re-alignment scenarios currently circulating, particularly one involving expansion of the Pac-10. We are doing everything in our power to represent the best interests of Iowa State in these discussions, but we also are sensitive to the huge uncertainty that has been created and recognize that the situation could evolve in directions that are not aligned with our interests.

We understand and share your concerns about Iowa State athletics and the Big 12 Conference. We are still optimistic that the Big 12 will remain intact and continue to be one of our nation's premier athletics conferences, but we must be ready to act if that does not prove to be the case. We will keep in touch as the situation unfolds, and we appreciate your understanding.

Go Cyclones!

Dr. Gregory Geoffroy
President

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204955238&DB_OEM_ID=10700

King Barry's Back
6/7/2010, 06:54 AM
They should get moving on finding a new home in a non-BCS conference.

They bring nothing to a super-Big 10 or Big/Pac 16 scenario, and are the unappreciated little sisters in their own state.

They'd be much better off in a less demanding conference, where their teams could make some noise.

That said, ISU fans are the best in the conference. Sad to see them go.

yermom
6/7/2010, 06:59 AM
they've have a few good runs in the last few years

i'm sure Nebraska would like a couple back :D

tfoolry
6/8/2010, 09:04 AM
MVC is a perfect fit for the 'Clowns.

XingTheRubicon
6/8/2010, 09:19 AM
I feel bad for I St.

I will, however, enjoy watching Kansas State revert back to raffling for tractor gas on a fall saturday night for entertainment.

Widescreen
6/8/2010, 10:26 AM
I feel bad for I St.

I will, however, enjoy watching Kansas State revert back to raffling for tractor gas on a fall saturday night for entertainment.

Why feel bad for ISU? They've brought nothing to the conference other than perfect attendance. They've contributed nothing and taken $$$ in return as a conference member. If they want to EVER be competitive, they need to go to a smaller conference.

KantoSooner
6/8/2010, 10:31 AM
I guess I feel badly for them because they have been so well behaved and are going to get the wet end of the stick. Those who are loud with no excuse (K State anyone?), receive no such sympathy.

HBick
6/8/2010, 12:05 PM
http://ames.craigslist.org/wan/1780238352.html

Wanted: New Athletic Conference.

152-year-old Land-Grant University seeks new Athletic Conference after potentially being hung out to dry by its current Athletic Conference.

We are a current member of the American Association of Universities and invented a little something called the computer. Ever hear of that bia?

We have had moderate success in collegiate athletics - moreso in the “Olympic Sports” that no one claims to care about, but will still boast about because they totally save our asses when it comes to **** like the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup (we’re currently 31st, btw).

Our football and men’s basketball programs are on the rise, however, thanks to the hiring of two hometown heroes. We even won a bowl game last year. (Can you say that Kansas State? I didn’t think so.)

We also know how to throw a mean party and our local law enforcement are “well-versed” in riot control (burning dumpsters rolling down Campustown are optional).

We’re used to being the whipping boy for other teams, but have been known to turn it around and take someone by surprise (I’m looking at you, Nebraska).

We would like to find a conference that respects us for who we are and doesn’t look at us as bottom-feeders. But, who are we kidding, we’ll gladly take anything if it means increased TV exposure and money. That goes for you Big 10, are you listening?

Missouri Valley Conference need not apply. For more information, please see www.widerightandnattylight.com

Also - Free to good home (or any home): one Big 12 Athletic Conference Commissioner. “Loyal” (as long as your name rhymes with “exas”) but wishy-washy. Has a tendency to **** the bed when faced with adversity. No returns.

Sooner98
6/8/2010, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the MAC.

Soonermagik
6/8/2010, 01:13 PM
The truth is they just don't belong with the likes of OU & Texas.

I'm not here to slam Iowa State, but they bring nothing to the table.
Ultimately, this is a business, not a charity. Not trying to be harsh, but it's the truth.

tfoolry
6/8/2010, 01:54 PM
They can save $ by taking the bus to Drake, UNI, Creighton etc. after they join MVC. I can see the team bus heading towards I-35 right now.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/claudipro/2684939587/

budbarrybob
6/8/2010, 02:45 PM
I don't really see the problem with the Clowns. Lets face it, we have the right amount of hurdles every year. We only play them every 2 years. They are a BCS team (Div. 1). For more prestige, sure we could play a tougher opponent, but in reality we need the Baylors and Kansas' of the world along with a smattering of the NEbish and Tehas.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2010, 04:35 PM
That said, ISU fans are the best in the conference. Sad to see them go.

And their band the best partiers of the conference! I did drink with them in the day...;) 98-2!

tfoolry
6/9/2010, 08:48 AM
'Clown fans compared to Hawkeye fans
= 'Poke fans compared to Sooner fans.

texaspokieokie
6/9/2010, 09:50 AM
Don't see any reason to bad mouth ISU, they've been in Big-6 thru Big 12 for many years.

it's no benefit to replace them with some school that might be better (tougher)

soonervegas
6/9/2010, 09:53 AM
We will only have 2 remaining conference brother if this all goes down from 15 years ago....weird.

1 if Baylor jacks Colorado.

rainiersooner
6/10/2010, 12:56 AM
We will only have 2 remaining conference brother if this all goes down from 15 years ago....weird.

1 if Baylor jacks Colorado.

Interesting point - wow. Oh well...things change, huh?