PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 tells NU & MU to put up or shut up...

PrideTrombone
6/6/2010, 08:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088

Aries
6/6/2010, 08:55 AM
Or what? Will they be kicked out of the Big 12?

PrideTrombone
6/6/2010, 09:16 AM
That's what I was wondering. The longer this goes, the more it looks like the Big 12 is screwed and that Beebe is sitting there saying "Nah, that iceberg won't do crap. We're unsinkable."

diegosooner
6/6/2010, 09:23 AM
Good question! What will happen if they don't meet the deadline? go the court and sue for breach of contract?

soonervegas
6/6/2010, 10:00 AM
I think it means if the two don't commit the 5 Big 12 South schools and CU are going bye bye....that's how I see it.

Puts Missouri and Nebraska is a real tough decision. They better know they are locks for the Big 10 if they don't commit to the Big 12.

PrideTrombone
6/6/2010, 10:02 AM
That'd be pretty hilarious if Missouri didn't commit but then the Big 10 decided they didn't want em. They could join KU in their also-ran conference.

Stitch Face
6/6/2010, 12:37 PM
The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

Are there any conference realignment rumors which don't originate in Austin? Seems like a certain school might be orchestrating something here.

Dio
6/6/2010, 01:47 PM
Are there any conference realignment rumors which don't originate in Austin? Seems like a certain school might be orchestrating something here.

The Winnah!

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 01:55 PM
Ok , With all these rumors do any of em have any teeth ?
Man Ima just sittin back sayin WTF:confused:
Ill wait till the movie comes out.

85Sooner
6/6/2010, 02:33 PM
Word in Austin from reliable sources is that ATM says that they are not going to let Texas dictate the converence and have opened talks along with oklahoma in discussions with the SEC.

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 02:34 PM
So just more rumors?:eek:

Harry Beanbag
6/6/2010, 03:05 PM
Word in Austin from reliable sources is that ATM says that they are not going to let Texas dictate the converence and have opened talks along with oklahoma in discussions with the SEC.

Texas going Pac-10 while OU and aTm go SEC would be the biggest mistake the horns have ever made. It would be hilarious. :)

85Sooner
6/6/2010, 03:59 PM
Negotiations going on as we speak. Word is Colorado is out and Baylor is in.

silverwheels
6/6/2010, 04:18 PM
The Pac-10 will work hard to get Colorado in and not Baylor. They'd be smart to drop Tech and OSU for Utah and Kansas as well, but I don't think they could pull that off.

And LOL @ Missouri. They've never won jack ****, and the only reason they're being mentioned at all is because of Kansas City and St. Louis.

Soonerpsycho
6/6/2010, 05:53 PM
Missouri to the Big 10 a done deal? (http://twitter.com/YungBull15/statuses/15577356095) :pop:

sendbaht
6/6/2010, 06:03 PM
If they do not tell us all by Friday we will report them all to the NCAA and then we will know something for sure in a few years.:)

silverwheels
6/6/2010, 06:13 PM
Missouri to the Big 10 a done deal? (http://twitter.com/YungBull15/statuses/15577356095) :pop:

Not sure I would trust a redshirt freshman linebacker's twitter feed, but I think Missouri will go ahead and elect to move to the Big Ten and continue to be mediocre there for a bigger paycheck.

King Barry's Back
6/7/2010, 07:11 AM
Not sure I would trust a redshirt freshman linebacker's twitter feed, but I think Missouri will go ahead and elect to move to the Big Ten and continue to be mediocre there for a bigger paycheck.

That makes sense for them. I wish them luck.

Somebody above asks what are the consequenses if Nebraska and/or Mizzou refuse to make a long-term commitment to the Big XII.

The stakes are these:

1. If any of the 12 conference members refuses to sign binding agreements that would tie them to the Big XII for several years (I am guessing at least five years), then Beebe and the rest of the Big XII will basically consider them to have already left the conference.

2. That means Beebe and the front office would re-open TV contract negotiations as the new Big XII, and would do so while actively excluding any non-commitmers -- most likely Neb and Mizzou.

3. When the deadline hits, probably either this week or next, if one or two schools indicate they will not legally bind themselves to the Big XII -- a new contract will be negotiated and they will be w/o a conference home.

4. IF the Big 10 picks them up, great. If not, well hell, I guess they are in a fix.

5. The exodus of any non-committal schools could also spark the disintegration of the Big XII altogether, as half the conference could bolt to the Pac 10 -- which is what I hope happens.

6. And if we can find a way to get six teams invited into the Pac 10, I also hope that we can keep Baylor and drop Ok State.

olevetonahill
6/7/2010, 07:28 AM
Leave it ALONE
Either go back to the BIG 8 or stay here
I hate like hell to be a second fiddle to any pac team .
Ala Succs , caint Yall hear em now? saying shat ? like Ya OU couldnt stay in a Conference from the Big 8 to the Big 12. They needed USc .
**** them
I will always root fer OU but by dayum I will NEVER ROOT fer the PAC.:mad:
Can we just go Independent?
PLEASE ?

silverwheels
6/7/2010, 07:47 AM
I don't think we could survive as an independent, especially if all of the other major powers are in super-conferences. Notre Dame won't even be able to survive as an independent forever.

Tear Down This Wall
6/7/2010, 04:43 PM
We all knew this day would come - or, those of us with enough brains in our head to see that light.

Every athletic director in this wretched conference has been on its knees servicing Texas since the inception of the idiotic Big 12 which never should have been 12 in the first place. Yes. This includes our own Joe Castiglione.

The only one of them to stand his schools' ground was Tom Osborne. And, thank God someone has the nuts to stand up to the butthummers down in Austin because it surely wasn't going to be us with Castiglione and the limpwristed David Boren in charge!

So sick of all of this crap. Texas and their damn governor at the time forced to take those imbeciles in Waco and Lubbock. Now this garbage!

Screw the Pac-10! You've already seen have crappy their officiating crews. Their fans are as ignorant and insufferable as any you'll come across in Lubbock or Austin.

Take USC out of the picture and the Pac-10 is a big bag of nothing. Our stupid presidents and athletic directors and that insipid buttplunger Beebe have been loafing around getting screwed on every television deal signed.

Damn dogbutt sniffing fools! Why doesn't anyone other than Tom Osborne have any balls? Tired of pictures of that jackweed Beebe looking confused and mad.

Hey, dude, when you give it up without even being asked on a date, don't be surprised when you get no respect. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

The f'ing Pac-10 and Big Ten. So ridiculous. The two most competitive college football conferences are the Big 12 and the SEC. And, so we're standing around pulling our puds while Texas decides what to do...and, all the while those scumbags are trying to foist the blame onto Nebraska.

Screw that, you dickwheels! You know damn well that Texas is going to do whatever it wants no matter what Nebraska does. And, sadly, our idiots will trail along behind on a leash.

cjames317
6/7/2010, 05:34 PM
Harsh words. But I gotta agree with:

Take USC out of the picture and the Pac-10 is a big bag of nothing;
Why doesn't anyone other than Tom Osborne have any balls?; and
Texas is going to do whatever it wants.

Is the Pac 10's "invitation" just their attempt to stay at the dinner table while SC's in the doghouse?

Harry Beanbag
6/7/2010, 11:18 PM
"insipid buttplunger"

I really need to start working that into conversations. :)

KantoSooner
6/8/2010, 09:10 AM
I would tend to agree with the above, but the sad fact is that Texas and the Pac10 have something we really don't: teevee sets close to home. We might be able to convince somebody that we draw a national audience, but, until that time, we're doomed to having to put up with major media market prima donnas.
And it doesn't make a bit of difference how galling that is.

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2010, 09:30 AM
We all knew this day would come - or, those of us with enough brains in our head to see that light.

Every athletic director in this wretched conference has been on its knees servicing Texas since the inception of the idiotic Big 12 which never should have been 12 in the first place. Yes. This includes our own Joe Castiglione.

The only one of them to stand his schools' ground was Tom Osborne. And, thank God someone has the nuts to stand up to the butthummers down in Austin because it surely wasn't going to be us with Castiglione and the limpwristed David Boren in charge!

So sick of all of this crap. Texas and their damn governor at the time forced to take those imbeciles in Waco and Lubbock. Now this garbage!

Screw the Pac-10! You've already seen have crappy their officiating crews. Their fans are as ignorant and insufferable as any you'll come across in Lubbock or Austin.

Take USC out of the picture and the Pac-10 is a big bag of nothing. Our stupid presidents and athletic directors and that insipid buttplunger Beebe have been loafing around getting screwed on every television deal signed.

Damn dogbutt sniffing fools! Why doesn't anyone other than Tom Osborne have any balls? Tired of pictures of that jackweed Beebe looking confused and mad.

Hey, dude, when you give it up without even being asked on a date, don't be surprised when you get no respect. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

The f'ing Pac-10 and Big Ten. So ridiculous. The two most competitive college football conferences are the Big 12 and the SEC. And, so we're standing around pulling our puds while Texas decides what to do...and, all the while those scumbags are trying to foist the blame onto Nebraska.

Screw that, you dickwheels! You know damn well that Texas is going to do whatever it wants no matter what Nebraska does. And, sadly, our idiots will trail along behind on a leash.

Puulleeze....

Did some of Ronnie's (may he rest in peace) mad cow start to infect your usual clear thinking self?????

Tom Osborne was, is and always has been a whiny little bitch. He threw a hissy fit because when this shotgun marriage of a conference started, he could not longer accept Prop 48 casualties or partial qualifiers. That dried up his "I recruit West Coast gang banger thugs" and morons who throw their girlfriends down stairs yet still let them play. He saw the handwriting on the wall and got out. Since that time, Nebraska has started a slow decline into irrelevance and he has been trying to foist the blame on Texas.

Hey Tom... yes, we ended your long home winning streaks... TWICE... Hey Tom.. since the Big 12 started you have beaten Texas the same number of times that Baylor has... that's right... ONCE.

There are more television sets and people that live in Houston than your crappy little state. Get over it.

Oh Tom... Texas is the one trying to hold the conference together. Your choice is simple... remain in the Big 12 where you will in all likelihood be at the best, the 3rd most relevant team.. or take your chances elsewhere.

Oh and Tommy Boy... Neutered Dame is taking a second look at the Big 10/11. If the Big Least implodes (and it very well may).. the Irish could foresee this and tell the Big 10/11.. what the hell.. we're on board. That means.. the Big 10/11 very well may not expand which would leave you.. well.. a Mountain West team. Think hard Homeslice.. as hard as your favorite player Lawrence Phillips like to slap his girlfriends around.

And.. Ann Richards had very little to do with the inclusion of Baylor and sand aggy. That was then very powerful speaker of the house Bob Bullock and David Sibley. Sibley was on the Texas Senate Finance Committee..and with Bullock threats were made to slow down funding on pet construction projects the state schools wanted.

Finally... as you know.. expansion is not about competitive balance! To a great extent, that is irrelevant. It's about television markets, cable markets, corporate sponsorships, and hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue going to the universities. THAT is college football in this century. The days of Chris Schenkel and Curt Gowdy and Lindsay Nelson are over.

SoCal
6/8/2010, 10:34 AM
Puulleeze....
Finally... as you know.. expansion is not about competitive balance! To a great extent, that is irrelevant. It's about television markets, cable markets, corporate sponsorships, and hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue going to the universities. THAT is college football in this century. The days of Chris Schenkel and Curt Gowdy and Lindsay Nelson are over.

That is what is so sad about all this crap. I hate it! Whats next...sponsor logo uniforms...like race car driver suits?

goingoneight
6/8/2010, 10:46 AM
We'll have something retarded like sponsor patches long before something that makes perfect sense (playoff--COUGH!).

MeMyself&Me
6/8/2010, 10:46 AM
Puulleeze....

Did some of Ronnie's (may he rest in peace) mad cow start to infect your usual clear thinking self?????

Tom Osborne was, is and always has been a whiny little bitch. He threw a hissy fit because when this shotgun marriage of a conference started, he could not longer accept Prop 48 casualties or partial qualifiers. That dried up his "I recruit West Coast gang banger thugs" and morons who throw their girlfriends down stairs yet still let them play. He saw the handwriting on the wall and got out. Since that time, Nebraska has started a slow decline into irrelevance and he has been trying to foist the blame on Texas.

Hey Tom... yes, we ended your long home winning streaks... TWICE... Hey Tom.. since the Big 12 started you have beaten Texas the same number of times that Baylor has... that's right... ONCE.

There are more television sets and people that live in Houston than your crappy little state. Get over it.

Oh Tom... Texas is the one trying to hold the conference together. Your choice is simple... remain in the Big 12 where you will in all likelihood be at the best, the 3rd most relevant team.. or take your chances elsewhere.

Oh and Tommy Boy... Neutered Dame is taking a second look at the Big 10/11. If the Big Least implodes (and it very well may).. the Irish could foresee this and tell the Big 10/11.. what the hell.. we're on board. That means.. the Big 10/11 very well may not expand which would leave you.. well.. a Mountain West team. Think hard Homeslice.. as hard as your favorite player Lawrence Phillips like to slap his girlfriends around.

And.. Ann Richards had very little to do with the inclusion of Baylor and sand aggy. That was then very powerful speaker of the house Bob Bullock and David Sibley. Sibley was on the Texas Senate Finance Committee..and with Bullock threats were made to slow down funding on pet construction projects the state schools wanted.

Texas has actually lost to Baylor!!! :eek:

MAN, you guys suck! :D

SoonerAtKU
6/8/2010, 11:45 AM
I was going to post essentially the same thing.

I completely forgot that Texas has lost to Baylor in the last 20 years.

Awesome.

Tear Down This Wall
6/8/2010, 12:53 PM
[Norm voice]Don't you damn come in here running down Tom Osborne![/Norm voice]

There has never been a coach in Austin that is half the coach Tom Osborne was...and there never will be. Not Mack. And, not that racist, carpet-bagging, dope-smoker Darrell Royal either. Neither of those ding-dongs ever beat Osborne, nor would they have had he stayed in the game longer.

Darrell Royal got one shot at Osborne in the '74 Cotton Bowl and got his fat fanny smoked 19-3. So, don't come in here running down Tom Osborne when the best coach you ever had couldn't even post more than one damn field goal against him. This was the bowl game that the Big 8 sent its runner-up to that year. The Big 8 Champion that year - OU - had already beaten Darrell Royal's charges 52-13. Royal couldn't even beat the Big 8's second best.

Even as it is, neither of those plastic nuthuggers Brown and Royal will ever amass the win total Osborne did or the number of championships.

Texas is punks out for their own at the expense of everyone else and the only one who recognized it from Day One was Osborne. Every other athletic director rolled over - even our fraudulent excuse of an AD.

It's sickening. If Texas was half the program they claim to be, they'd be trying to get into the SEC instead of the Pac-10 or Big 10. Hell, Alabama only threw 11 passes in last year's championship game and whipped Mack Brown. You think the deep pockets and empty heads in Austin want a taste of that type of competition week after week? I don't think so.

Instead, they cover themselves of the bullsh*t fig leaf of "academics" and run for cover in the Pac-10. Baloney:

"majoring in physical culture and sport"
"majoring in corporate communications"
"majoring in youth and communication studies"
"majoring in health promotion and fitness"
"majoring in physical culture and sport and youth and communication studies"
"majoring in sports management"
"earned a degree in corporate communications"
"is on pace to graduate in the spring with a degree in kinesiology (the technical name for a P.E. degree these days)"

These are the chosen fields of study for the Longhorns' 2010 seniors. Wow. How did Harvard miss out on this crew? Such academic stalwarts. So obviously interested in challenging themselves with the "tough" academics of UT-A.

The biggest joke of all is when any of these schools plays the "academics" card. It's even more laughable when schools with these horsesh*t degrees try to play that card.

No Longhorn player is any more or less in tune with stringent academics than a kid at K-State, Iowa State or any other Big 12 school. The problem for K-State and Iowa State is that their presidents and athletic directors aren't as full as sh*t as the ones at Texas.

In fact, if I gave enough of a damn, I'd run through the 2010 seniors of Kansas State and Iowa State and likely find guys majoring is fields easily more challenging than "physical culture" and "youth and communications."

It would be a damn joke anyway because no one struts out there with their GPAs. No fan sits up in the stands and argues about the difficulty of the "physical culture" degree versus the "youth and communications" degree.

Texas' constant leaning on that is nothing but a hot dog cookout with doodoo as the weiners. Call me back for academic credibility when the majority of your football players are majoring in physics, chemistry, finance, engineering, and the like.

Dopes. That our AD and others follow along is sickening to the core.

RedKings
6/8/2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.bringonthecats.com/2010/6/7/1506558/adventures-of-the-big-12-twelve

Here's just the start. Some funny stuff.

Texas: I call this meeting to order. Today's agenda topic: Who stays and who goes. I'm looking for a quick vote. Obviously, I like bossing all of you around, so I'm in. Oklahoma?

Oklahoma: Hell, I'll stay. Do you really think I want to join the SEC or Pac-10? I still go into shell shock when a woman asks me if I have a Trojan on me, or if I walk past a store in the mall that sells 'Crocs'.

Oklahoma State: In, yo. I'm afraid if I take this game to LA, I may get shot.

Colorado: Staying. Unless the Pac-10 offers, and then I'll leave so fast there will be burn marks in the carpet. But they don't want me without you guys, so I'm probably still stuck with you *******s.

Missouri: Anyone know where the nearest U-Haul place is?

Texas: Jesus, can you be more obvious?

Missouri: What? Do you think I like being irrelevant? Do you think I like hoarding championships in ****ing Softball? And it's not even the cool softball where you drink and wear inappropriate t-shirts that say things like "Balls Going Deep". It's the lesbian kind of softball where half of the cars in the parking lot are pink Cadillacs, and the chicks that show up wear visors and Birkenstocks.

Kansas State: I'm not really into PC, but there's a lot wrong with what you just said...

Missouri: You know what? I don't care. I'm going to go the Big Ten, wipe my *** with piles of TV money, and spend my winters buried in lake effects snow.

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2010, 01:05 PM
[Norm voice]Don't you damn come in here running down Tom Osborne![/Norm voice]

There has never been a coach in Austin that is half the coach Tom Osborne was...and there never will be. Not Mack. And, not that racist, carpet-bagging, dope-smoker Darrell Royal either. Neither of those ding-dongs ever beat Osborne, nor would they have had he stayed in the game longer.

Darrell Royal got one shot at Osborne in the '74 Cotton Bowl and got his fat fanny smoked 19-3. So, don't come in here running down Tom Osborne when the best coach you ever had couldn't even post more than one damn field goal against him. This was the bowl game that the Big 8 sent its runner-up to that year. The Big 8 Champion that year - OU - had already beaten Darrell Royal's charges 52-13. Royal couldn't even beat the Big 8's second best.

Even as it is, neither of those plastic nuthuggers Brown and Royal will ever amass the win total Osborne did or the number of championships.

Texas is punks out for their own at the expense of everyone else and the only one who recognized it from Day One was Osborne. Every other athletic director rolled over - even our fraudulent excuse of an AD.

It's sickening. If Texas was half the program they claim to be, they'd be trying to get into the SEC instead of the Pac-10 or Big 10. Hell, Alabama only threw 11 passes in last year's championship game and whipped Mack Brown. You think the deep pockets and empty heads in Austin want a taste of that type of competition week after week? I don't think so.

Instead, they cover themselves of the bullsh*t fig leaf of "academics" and run for cover in the Pac-10. Baloney:

"majoring in health promotion and fitness"
"majoring in physical culture and sport and youth and communication studies"
"majoring in sports management"
"earned a degree in corporate communications"
"is on pace to graduate in the spring with a degree in kinesiology (the technical name for a P.E. degree these days)"

These are the chosen fields of study for the Longhorns' 2010 seniors. Wow. How did Harvard miss out on this crew? Such academic stalwarts. So obviously interested in challenging themselves with the "tough" academics of UT-A.

The biggest joke of all is when any of these schools plays the "academics" card. It's even more laughable when schools with these horsesh*t degrees try to play that card.

No Longhorn player is any more or less in tune with stringent academics than a kid at K-State, Iowa State or any other Big 12 school. The problem for K-State and Iowa State is that their presidents and athletic directors aren't as full as sh*t as the ones at Texas.

In fact, if I gave enough of a damn, I'd run through the 2010 seniors of Kansas State and Iowa State and likely find guys majoring is fields easily more challenging than "physical culture" and "youth and communications."

It would be a damn joke anyway because no one struts out there with their GPAs. No fan sits up in the stands and argues about the difficulty of the "physical culture" degree versus the "youth and communications" degree.

Texas' constant leaning on that is nothing but a hot dog cookout with doodoo as the weiners. Call me back for academic credibility when the majority of your football players are majoring in physics, chemistry, finance, engineering, and the like.

Dopes. That our AD and others follow along is sickening to the core.

OH SWEET BLUE JUMPIN JEBUS ON A BICYCLE!!

A Tom Osborne supporter? Really? Really?

Hell, Nebraska only had to play one tough game a year in the Big 2 Little 8. For its vast existence, the Little 6 were cannon fodder (as they are in the Big 12). They had you hillbillies around Thanksgiving and that's it!

If you want to play the head to head game... okay.. Fred Akers owned Barry Switzer.

All Osborne has ever done since the start of the Big 12 was whine about Texas... "oooh... Texas is evil. Texas is bad. Ohhh... I can't beat them anymore so I'm gonna quit.. well that and they won't let me recruit illiterate thugs and players too stupid to spell cat and that's after we spell 'em the C and A."

Nebraska has shrunk under the shadow of Texas. They can't beat us.. .so like the spoiled little brat, wants to pick up its toys and leave the playground.

Osborne: "I know we voted for disproportionate television revenue shares too.. but.. we were half way good back then. I changed my mind."

Osborne: "I know we voted against the start of the Big 12 Network.. but.. it looks like it may work now so, I changed my mind."

Osborne" "I know the other Big 12 schools vote against us all the time.. but.. but.. it's Texas' fault."

Whine.. whine.. whine.

Mississippi Sooner
6/8/2010, 01:09 PM
Fred Akers was 5-5-1 against Oklahoma. That's ownage?

Stitch Face
6/8/2010, 01:10 PM
Now that's some pure, unadulterated smack talk.

Jdog
6/8/2010, 01:15 PM
Do our records count in the PAC16?
what importance can be attributed to 6 championships in a conference that no longer exists?
Why isn't the Big 12 strong enough to go after Illinois, Cincinnati, AZ state and AU?
We would be in 7 of top 21 TV markets.
3. Chicago
5. Dallas-Ft. Worth
10. Houston
12. Phoenix
17. Cleveland-Akron
18. Denver
21. St Louis

Mac94
Fred Akers owned Barry Switzer.

but Jackie Sherrill owned Fred! ;)

Mississippi Sooner
It should also be noted that if the refs hadn't made some of the worst calls in the history of college football during the 1984 game, Switzer would be 6-5 against ol' Fred.

MeMyself&Me
6/8/2010, 01:17 PM
A Tom Osborne supporter? Really? Really

I think you'll find a lot of us here. Most Sooners I knew growing up had a lot of respect for Osborne and Nebraska. I can't say the same about Texas.

MeMyself&Me
6/8/2010, 01:20 PM
Hell, Nebraska only had to play one tough game a year in the Big 2 Little 8. For its vast existence, the Little 6 were cannon fodder (as they are in the Big 12). They had you hillbillies around Thanksgiving and that's it!

I'm just curious about what was soooo tough about that old defunct SWC to make you feel OK with calling Nebraska out on that accord.

Tear Down This Wall
6/8/2010, 01:20 PM
Really, Lid? Then explain why Royal couldn't put up more than a field goal versus one of the Big 2 and Little 6?

And, certainly, you're not going to try to compare the Southwest Conference back then to the Big 8? As if Royal had a terrible slate to mow through. That may actually be an even bigger joke than the academic line.

And, I agree, 5-5-1 is about as close to ownage as Akers got. And, Switzer's teams did quite a bit more the throw a field goal on the board in those games. Not to mention, they actually put up a national title under Barry while Fred was at Texas...something Fred never did. And, certainly nothing Royal ever did while Osborne was leading the Huskers.

Tom Osborne is greatness. He stuck up for his conference as the rest of the athletic directors should. They're now all getting the sh*t sandwich they so richly deserve for abandoning him back in 1994/5.

As for us, it was one of the last act of bafoonery by Donnie Duncan, followed closely by his elevation of Gary Gibbs and then ditching him for Howard Schnellenberger and leaving the athletic department in the red.

Monster Zero
6/8/2010, 01:34 PM
As for us, it was one of the last act of bafoonery by Donnie Duncan, flowed closely by his elevation of Gary Gibbs and then ditching him for Howard that old drunk and leaving the athletic department in the red.

^^^ That would be buffoonery by Donnie Duncan, wherever the hell he is now. :)

TexasLidig8r
6/8/2010, 01:46 PM
Really, Lid? Then explain why Royal couldn't put up more than a field goal versus one of the Big 2 and Little 6?

And, certainly, you're not going to try to compare the Southwest Conference back then to the Big 8? As if Royal had a terrible slate to mow through. That may actually be an even bigger joke than the academic line.

And, I agree, 5-5-1 is about as close to ownage as Akers got. And, Switzer's teams did quite a bit more the throw a field goal on the board in those games. Not to mention, they actually put up a national title under Barry while Fred was at Texas...something Fred never did. And, certainly nothing Royal ever did while Osborne was leading the Huskers.

Tom Osborne is greatness. He stuck up for his conference as the rest of the athletic directors should. They're now all getting the sh*t sandwich they so richly deserve for abandoning him back in 1994/5.

As for us, it was one of the last act of bafoonery by Donnie Duncan, followed closely by his elevation of Gary Gibbs and then ditching him for Howard that old drunk and leaving the athletic department in the red.

No No No Fluffie... I said Akers owned Switzer and did not refer to his overall record against Ou (and even with that statement, turn your sarcasm-ometer up a bit).

For that matter, John Mackovic has scoreboard on Tom Osborne... JOHN MACKOVIC!!!! If you are going to hang your argument on one head to head meeting.. so can I.

Osborne voted against the implementation of a Big 12 title game.... he voted against the implementation of stricter academic standards, he voted against keeping the Big 12 title game at the Deathstar through 2013.

As a coach, I don't quibble with Osborne. As an administrator, he doesn't have the pull he thinks he should have so like the former homecoming queen who is now a homely, overweight housewife, wants to find relevance and acceptance elsewhere. It's ok Little Tom, you don't have the cajone to play with the big boys... go elsewhere. :D

cjames317
6/8/2010, 01:51 PM
OH SWEET BLUE JUMPIN JEBUS ON A BICYCLE!!

...Nebraska has shrunk under the shadow of Texas. They can't beat us.. .so like the spoiled little brat, wants to pick up its toys and leave the playground....Whine.. whine.. whine.

Didn't the N.Suhskers comethisclose to beating y'all for the conference championship? Sounds like someone needs to administer another 63-14 arse-whuppin.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2010, 01:55 PM
UT has beaten Nebraska 8 out of 9 tries in Big XII play, including all 3 times we've visited Lincoln. OU owns them too. That's the real reason Nebraska wants to leave the conference. They used to be on top of the hill when the Big XII started and now look at them. Crawling on glass for the Big 10 scraps.

Of course everything is UT's fault. They blame all of their life's problems on us.

MiccoMacey
6/8/2010, 04:18 PM
Of course everything is UT's fault. They blame all of their life's problems on us.

Texas Longhorns are the reason I can never find my keys? Who knew.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2010, 04:31 PM
Texas Longhorns are the reason I can never find my keys? Who knew.

Hey, Micco, nice freaking season the Reds are having. Where the hell did you guys come from? BTW, you've beaten my Cubs 4 out of 6. We still have 10 to play though. Haven't given up on our bet yet.

soonervegas
6/8/2010, 04:32 PM
what importance can be attributed to 6 championships in a conference that no longer exists?
Why isn't the Big 12 strong enough to go after Illinois, Cincinnati, AZ state and AU?
3. Chicago
5. Dallas-Ft. Worth
10. Houston
12. Phoenix
17. Cleveland-Akron
18. Denver
21. St Louis

Because our commissioner doesn't have any foresight. The Big 12 has been the 2nd most effective athletic conference behind the SEC the last decade. The fact that we have not been proactive and just sat in our **** while the Pac 10 and Big 10 try to pick our bones is a joke.

I mean the Pac-10 as a power player? Are we serious? They are a 1 team conference.

MiccoMacey
6/8/2010, 04:35 PM
I'd like to say I saw all this coming...but we both know NOBODY saw this coming. Not even Dusty Baker.

I'm waiting for the fall. As a Cubs fan, you should know that every year, especially when you're doing good, you have that feeling at the back of your mind that your team will fail at some point (and it usually comes after I finally bite the bullet and say, "Yes, we CAN win it all!!!").

So, yeah...I'm happy so far. But I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Herr Scholz
6/8/2010, 05:00 PM
I've become desensitized to the Cubs' failures. I don't even have to protect myself emotionally anymore.

Although the fact that we have the 3rd highest payroll in the majors at $150M and are this poor is a crime. It's the Yankees, Red Sox and then us. WTF?

Jdog
6/8/2010, 05:28 PM
Because our commissioner doesn't have any foresight. The Big 12 has been the 2nd most effective athletic conference behind the SEC the last decade. The fact that we have not been proactive and just sat in our **** while the Pac 10 and Big 12 try to pick our bones is a joke.

I mean the Pac-10 as a power player? Are we serious? They are a 1 team conference.

Thank you - some reason from the west!!!

silverwheels
6/8/2010, 07:25 PM
3. Chicago
5. Dallas-Ft. Worth
10. Houston
12. Phoenix
17. Cleveland-Akron
18. Denver
21. St Louis

Illinois wouldn't leave the Big Ten. Cincinnati owns only a small slice of the Ohio market, and I don't think the Arizona schools will leave the Pac-10.

GottaHavePride
6/8/2010, 07:39 PM
3. Chicago
5. Dallas-Ft. Worth
10. Houston
12. Phoenix
17. Cleveland-Akron
18. Denver
21. St Louis

Why would Illinois consider leaving a conference where they're already getting well over twice the annual revenue of any Big XII school? (I'm talking strictly conference-related revenue, not individual school merchandising or donations.)

Same with both Arizona schools. You all claiming the PAC-10 is a one-team conference are still missing the point. Conference realignment has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with creating conferences that are more competitive on the football field (or basketball court, or whatever). It is ENTIRELY to do with how much revenue said conference can generate for its member schools.

Jdog
6/8/2010, 08:05 PM
Why would Illinois consider leaving a conference where they're already getting well over twice the annual revenue of any Big XII school? (I'm talking strictly conference-related revenue, not individual school merchandising or donations.)

Same with both Arizona schools. You all claiming the PAC-10 is a one-team conference are still missing the point. Conference realignment has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with creating conferences that are more competitive on the football field (or basketball court, or whatever). It is ENTIRELY to do with how much revenue said conference can generate for its member schools.

why does the PAC 10 have a better shot at getting a bigger contract than the Big 12?
Sure they have Bigger "TV" markets like Seattle - San Fran - LA - Phoenix and San Diego - but who in those cities is watching college football?

Are you really going to tell me that those cities can match the number of TV tuned in to see a collage game - compared those in HOUSTON, San Antonio, El Paso, AUSTIN, DFW, DENVER (probably more like a west coast city - with better weather and more to do then stay inside and watch Football on a Saturday) Kansas City, OKC or Tulsa?

If SC is 8-5 (and on probation) and UCLA is 4 -8, their fans aren't watching -their reading about their teams in the Sunday morning box scores. No one is watching PAC 10 football except maybe fans in Oregon.

The way I see it - They need us!!!!!
We don't need them!!!!!

BudSooner
6/8/2010, 08:13 PM
As for us, it was one of the last act of bafoonery by Donnie Duncan, flowed closely by his elevation of Gary Gibbs and then ditching him for Howard that old drunk and leaving the athletic department in the red.

^^^ That would be buffoonery by Donnie Duncan, wherever the hell he is now. :)

Is this him? Associate BigXII Commish?

http://www.spoke.com/info/p6oigNJ/DonnieDuncan

huskerland
6/8/2010, 09:00 PM
If they do not tell us all by Friday we will report them all to the NCAA and then we will know something for sure in a few years.:) Now, that is what I call funny! I'll be chuckling all night long.

cornhusker
6/8/2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks from a Cornhusker, I couldn't have said the above any better. You should know on or before Friday what Nebraska's plans are. You can go to huskerextra.com to see what Osbourne had to say about this a few hours ago.

bluedogok
6/8/2010, 09:29 PM
why does the PAC 10 have a better shot at getting a bigger contract than the Big 12?
Sure they have Bigger "TV" markets like Seattle - San Fran - LA - Phoenix and San Diego - but who in those cities is watching college football?

Are you really going to tell me that those cities can match the number of TV tuned in to see a collage game - compared those in HOUSTON, San Antonio, El Paso, AUSTIN, DFW, DENVER (probably more like a west coast city - with better weather and more to do then stay inside and watch Football on a Saturday) Kansas City, OKC or Tulsa?

If SC is 8-5 (and on probation) and UCLA is 4 -8, their fans aren't watching -their reading about their teams in the Sunday morning box scores. No one is watching PAC 10 football except maybe fans in Oregon.

The way I see it - They need us!!!!!
We don't need them!!!!!
It doesn't matter how many are actually watching, the current business structure is entirely setup on POTENTIAL television viewers, not the actual numbers watching. That is what they sell to the advertisers, so bigger markets = bigger potential impact...just ignore the realities of the situation.

Jdog
6/8/2010, 10:47 PM
It doesn't matter how many are actually watching, the current business structure is entirely setup on POTENTIAL television viewers, not the actual numbers watching. That is what they sell to the advertisers, so bigger markets = bigger potential impact...just ignore the realities of the situation.

I'm not sure I buy that they don't look at the reality of viewers. PAC 10 has had a bad share, unless you count a Rose Bowl or a highly rated USC Team for several years. That is why their current tv deal is just as bad as the Big 12. our excuse is inept conference management, their excuse is poor ratings.
They need the Texas market to sale the deal to the Networks. Think about it

http://www.azbiz.com/articles/2010/06/04/media_technology/inside_media/doc4c093e6cc8c7a016853080.txt

bluedogok
6/8/2010, 11:58 PM
They had very poor management before the change a year ago, from what I have read/heard he made Beebe look great, Hansen was one who was like "we have USC, why do we need to market" attitude. They have a "non-AD" type of guy running the Pac-10 now, one who ran the WTA (Womens Tennis Association) for 6 or so years, now that was a marketing type of job where he got them higher sponsorship and TV contracts than they ever had before.

Collier11
6/9/2010, 12:27 AM
There is a rumor floating around that Nebbish will announce move to Big Ten by Friday...hmmm

mOUse
6/9/2010, 01:17 AM
Puulleeze....

West Coast gang banger thugs and morons who throw their girlfriends down stairs yet still...play.

Instant Classic!
Bwahaha!
WCGBTM! Mark it down, new acronym!

KantoSooner
6/9/2010, 09:17 AM
AND 'Insipid buttplungers'

Both in the same thread. THAT, my friends, is world class play.

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2010, 09:43 AM
Is this him? Associate BigXII Commish?

http://www.spoke.com/info/p6oigNJ/DonnieDuncan

Yes. That's the Judas who elevated Gibbs, ran the department into the red, hired Howard, and sold the Big 8 out to Texas.

He's now in charge of the Big 12 Championship. And, surprise, surprise...it's in Dallas for awhile, no longer rotating among Texas cities and Kansas City.

He's the biggest tool in the drawer...and, he's been very useful to Texas. Not that Castiglione isn't doing his best to catch up with him. Hanging Nebraska out to dry while hiding between DeLoss Dodds' skirt for the sake of unifying with Arizona and Arizona State ought to just about do it.

Cowards. Feckless, iguana molesting cowards.

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2010, 10:14 AM
Yes. That's the Judas who elevated Gibbs, ran the department into the red, hired Howard, and sold the Big 8 out to Texas.

He's now in charge of the Big 12 Championship. And, surprise, surprise...it's in Dallas for awhile, no longer rotating among Texas cities and Kansas City.

He's the biggest tool in the drawer...and, he's been very useful to Texas. Not that Castiglione isn't doing his best to catch up with him. Hanging Nebraska out to dry while hiding between DeLoss Dodds' skirt for the sake of unifying with Arizona and Arizona State ought to just about do it.

Cowards. Feckless, iguana molesting cowards.

Iguana molesting? Now THAT sir..is greatness.

What I believe may have happened here.... Deloss and Texas want to leave for the Pac 10. And, we want to take our whipping boys in the Big 12 south with us. This way, we placate our alums who want to see the regional games remain in place but also, allows access to the fertile recruiting grounds and television markets of California. BUT.. we cannot be looked upon as the one who broke up the conference. So.. what to do.. what to do...

ah.. we can use the Big 10/11 as a nice distraction. We have some carefully contructed communications with the Big 10 Commish and emails with the Ohio State President... we tell them expansion westward and toward the south is in their best interest. They see that conference expansion is an inevitabilty and put out feelers. Misery and the Bugeaters swallow the bait whole. Misery, because they naively believe they will have more relevance in the Big 10/11 and the Bugeaters because they feel slighted. To further accentuate these feelings, we orchestrate having the Big 12 title game be played in Arlington for the foreseeable future.. the only school voting against it... Nebraska.

The Big 10/11 pushes for Texas.. we coyly express some interest while exploring options with the Pac 10. Misery, who has already removed all of its clothes, applied lube, assumed the position and is moaning out to the Big 10/11 "TAKE ME TAKE ME." is too easy. Nebraska falls right in line as well.

Negotiations with the Pac 10 are substantially complete and Texas very well may retain the right to further implement our own network. In the meantime, DeLoss manipulates Beebe into giving Misery and the Bugmunchers an ultimate and deadline... which will coincide quite nicely with an invitation from the Pac 10 to take Texas and the others.

The Big 10/11.. concerned they may be left out and once again, being snubbed by Neutered Dame, extends a formal invite to Misery and Nebraska, who of course accept. With the conference now on life support, Texas is free to accept the Pac 10 offer, keeps its games with local teams, includes Arizona and Az State in its division and makes one trip a year to the west coast. Travel costs are not dramatically increased... television revenue explodes.. championship game alternates between Arlington and LA/San Diego (or the 49ers new stadium being built in Santa Clara).. Texas starts its own network to supplement the Pac 16 television revenue.. Texas is not looked upon as the one who killed the conference.. Nebraska is.

Unfortunately for Dr. Tom.. he decided to play checkers in a chess match.

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2010, 10:21 AM
I already understand that Texas is run by gutless cowards, Lid. I knew that long ago. So, I didn't need five paragraphs explaining to me that they were.

TexasLidig8r
6/9/2010, 10:31 AM
I already understand that Texas is run by gutless cowards, Lid.

How about sharp entrepeneurs. Much more appropriate.

Good Lord.. you're almost beginning to sound like an Obama supporter now! :D

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 10:35 AM
I don't think that conferences should be larger than 12 teams. Super conferences are good for big business TV contracts, but they're bad for the integrity of the game.

The two *******s who are pushing these super-conferences are the Big 10's Jim Delany, who in my opinion knows that large conferences are inherently a bad idea but is using the threat of the super conference against Notre Dame to bully it into joining the Big 10 or else face a more uncertain future. I honestly don't believe that the Big 10 wants Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers. I don't think they want to become a super-conference. I think they want Notre Dame and are using the threat of blowing up the conference alignments as we now know them to force Notre Dame to sign up.

Then you have this ****ing scumbag Larry Scott who comes from a tennis background and admitted that he hadn't even attended a college football game in more than a decade when he was hired. He's just a ****ing vulture waiting for the Notre Dame shoe to drop.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2010, 10:36 AM
How about sharp entrepeneurs. Much more appropriate.

Good Lord.. you're almost beginning to sound like an Obama supporter now! :D

Don't confuse "sharp entrepreneurs" with "large population base".

Tear Down This Wall
6/9/2010, 01:18 PM
It has nothing to do with entrepreneurism. College football is, in theory, an amateur sport. It is, in theory, supposed to be run for the benefit of the kids who participate, students, alumni, and fans.

That has long since been swept aside in a chase for television dollars for the biggest programs. The real name for it is collusion and its several forms - price fixing, market division, tying, etc.

The big boys like to pretend to play free market; but, they don't want any type of antitrust scrutiny that it involves. That's what the creation of the BCS is supposed to be when all other NCAA sports have a legitimate championship.

The big boys are all for political wheeling and dealing behind the scenes. But, when Congress takes up the subject, they want politicians to butt out.

In short, it's the big players wanting to have it both ways. Unfortunately, Oklahoma is to be included among the big boys who talk amateur out of one side of their mouths and while pursuing the television dollar on the other.

None of them give a damn about fans, the athletes, students, alumni. It's lip service. That's why they create fake, watered down degrees for the athletes to stay eligible to play in the game that keep putting money in their wallets.

It's nothing more than a product now. Athletes are nothing more than a part. The schools use their images for profit, sell their jerseys for profit, and flash their awards to entice others to be used. Then, after four or five years hand them their worthless degrees in "physical culture" and whatnot. It's a damn, dirty farce.

It's gross and I'm disgusted that OU is a part of it. They've stabbed Nebraska in the back again and again for the sake of money. And, to old time Sooner fans like me, it's nothing to be proud of or boast about.

Selling Nebraska down the river for Arizona, Arizona State, and a fist full of dollars...awful. Rotten to the core.

God bless Tom Osborne for taking a stand against backbiting sh*theads.

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 01:26 PM
It's nothing more than a product now. Athletes are nothing more than a part. The schools use their images for profit, sell their jerseys for profit, and flash their awards to entice others to be used. Then, after four or five years hand them their worthless degrees in "physical culture" and whatnot. It's a damn, dirty farce.

Isn't that exactly what nebraska used to be with their myriad of partial and non qualifiers? Get complete tards into school and use them to have a good football team before tossing them asside once their usefulness was done?

Personally, I think the 11:1 Big XII vote to up academic standards at the formation of the conference (nebraska being the lone dissenter) was a step in the right direction. You disagree? How is that a money grab?

SoonerMom2
6/9/2010, 02:23 PM
Isn't that exactly what nebraska used to be with their myriad of partial and non qualifiers? Get complete tards into school and use them to have a good football team before tossing them asside once their usefulness was done?

Personally, I think the 11:1 Big XII vote to up academic standards at the formation of the conference (nebraska being the lone dissenter) was a step in the right direction. You disagree? How is that a money grab?

I agree with you and this crying about Nebraska makes me want to laugh. If they had won the Big 12 Championship, none of this would be happening IMHO. They got their noses out of joint and adding to the fact that the Big 12 south has the next three football championships at Jerry's World and not their beloved KC, tipped it over IMHO. They forget how many times the Big 12 football championship was in KC along with the basketball tournaments before we got it in the south.

Bob Stoops had an excellent article in The Oklahoman looking forward to the change and I agree 100%!

The fans we had in here from Washington the other year were great -- nothing compared to the arrogance we saw out of NE the last time they were in town. This is not the old OU/NE rivalry -- OU has moved above NE when it comes to academics and facilities.

Having grown up in the Big 10 territory, NE may not like what they find especially when they realize they are going to have to raise their academic standards. NE is not the NE of old, but then when they won all their champions is when OU and TX were down.

One thing I think is that OU/TX should remain in the same conference because no matter what anyone says the two schools together make any conference better. The rivalry is set in stone and always has been the biggest rivalry to the outside world. Growing up in the Big 10, the game to watch from another conference was always OU/TX at the Texas State Fair.

NE was in a snit and in the end believe they are going to regret going to the Big 10 because they will be the step child. If they thought it was bad with TX, wait until the OSU/Michigan run Big 10 dictates. :)

Herr Scholz
6/9/2010, 02:30 PM
I completely agree with all of that. I think they'll rue the day they make this move. I think they'll find it decidedly more difficult to recruit Texas kids too. Hello, Aaron Green, c'mon down! :)

UT and OU will be fine regardless though. I'm looking forward to this new world order. I'll be travelling to Lincoln this Fall for probably the last time.